New account Bangkok Bank

Sounds about right for the current approval process and the stuff arriving via email and mail.  And of course this assumes you are approved for ibanking....just because the forms were signed and submitted does not mean the approval is a done-deal.   

Sounds about right for the current approval process and the stuff arriving via email and mail.  And of course this assumes you are approved for ibanking....just because the forms were signed and submitted does not mean the approval is a done-deal.   

I am with TMB and a couple of months ago I had an email to say if I did not update my visa details then I would lose internet banking. When I went to do the update the manager said that under new regulations from BOT, foreigners could not have access to internet banking unless they had a work permit or at least 9 months remaining on a long term visa.

I am with TMB and a couple of months ago I had an email to say if I did not update my visa details then I would lose internet banking. When I went to do the update the manager said that under new regulations from BOT, foreigners could not have access to internet banking unless they had a work permit or at least 9 months remaining on a long term visa.

Probably just TMB's interpretation of a BOT policy...or maybe better yet, just TMB's policy.  I opened two Bangkok Bank accounts account last year and had less than 6 months left on my retirement extension of stay/visa.  And the year before that I open an account with just one month left.   Thai banks...and individual branches... seem to be all over the map in what farangs they approve for accounts and ibanking.  

And what I meant by the approval process is not a done-deal just because the branch had you sign paperwork and then the submitted it to Headquaters, sometimes it seems branches are not really sure if ibanking is authorized for farang with certain type of visas...so the branch just submits it forward and sees what happens...if disapproved then its big-bad headquarters that disapproved it and the local branch gets to deflect being the bad guy...the guy who said no. 

I have a Bangkok Bank account for more than 3 years.

Some months ago I set it up for internet access on my own via the process they describe on their website.

No visit at the branch. No paperwork at all. Just a phonecall to Bangkok, giving some details.

ATM card, bankbook, mobile phone with Thai number and passport must be at hand.

(passport as registered at the the bank)

http://www.bangkokbank.com/OnlineBanking/PersonalBanking/iBanking/BualuangiBanking/HowtoApply/Pages/ApplyviaATM.aspx

One very interesting remark on the site:

If your account records with Bangkok Bank have your visa status as being a "tourist", you may not be able to complete the ATM registration process. Please contact the branch for registration.

So my account was surely not marked as tourist (I am living here on a long term basis)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Probably just TMB's interpretation of a BOT policy...or maybe better yet, just TMB's policy.  I opened two Bangkok Bank accounts account last year and had less than 6 months left on my retirement extension of stay/visa.  And the year before that I open an account with just one month left.   Thai banks...and individual branches... seem to be all over the map in what farangs they approve for accounts and ibanking.  

And what I meant by the approval process is not a done-deal just because the branch had you sign paperwork and then the submitted it to Headquaters, sometimes it seems branches are not really sure if ibanking is authorized for farang with certain type of visas...so the branch just submits it forward and sees what happens...if disapproved then its big-bad headquarters that disapproved it and the local branch gets to deflect being the bad guy...the guy who said no. 

I didn't mention accounts. She did say that many banks and even their own branches were not aware of the visa requirements for foreigners and internet banking.

Time will tell, it usually does.

PS  I have just realised I made an error on the original post. The visa should be for at least nine months, not 9 months remaining. Sorry. My multi Non O only had a couple of months to go and was ok. 

Edited by sandyf

I opened an account an Bangkok Bank a month ago. Filled out the paperwork for online banking and they said it would have to go to BKK for approval. Get the same B S story every time I ask about it. Still in Bangkok have to wait, it's been a month now. Tired of waiting tomorrow calling Bangkok direct

I opened BKK bank account about a year ago and signed up for internet banking at same time. The clerk make a phone call and i was OK with internet account. Note the bank assigns you a number for login, not a username as common internet practice, but you do get to type in your own password.

Tried to set up online acess last night. Got all the way through the set up then received a message that I had to call the bank to complete.

Called Bangkok Bank in BKK this morning and they told me that you can not set up online acess yourself unless you have a work permit, and you have to do it at the branch itself .As I explained that I already had done this all she would say is you have to go to the branch for help. Having already done this several times am getting a bit fed up.

I would get the atm card, setup internet banking, and then cancel the card, shred it, or set the spending limit to 0.  It's an extra 300-350 for the card + 200 a year, but it makes setting up the added services so much easier.

And it is best to do it right when you open the bank account; get all the 'basic' stuff done in one swoop so you don't have to think about it too much later.

And unless something has changed, if your account is a joint account then both people must signup for ibanking whether one of them plans to use it or not.  Even certain type of SMS notices can not be setup for joint accounts but they can for single accounts.  Thailand has some strange banking rules for joint accounts; more restrictive than what I was use to in the States where either joint owner had pretty much total control over accounts actions but it don't got that far on Thai bank joint accounts.  There are other Thai bank joint account differences I've discovered over the years, but I won't bore you with them.  Buy hey, different countries, different banking laws/rules.

Opened a new account with them last week and during the same visit they issued a debit card, set up my online banking and sms alerts.  I sure got the idea that they would do all of that unless I had asked.  However, once asked :)

I opened BKK bank account about a year ago and signed up for internet banking at same time. The clerk make a phone call and i was OK with internet account. Note the bank assigns you a number for login, not a username as common internet practice, but you do get to type in your own password.

I have a user name that I chose myself.

Sophon

I have a user name that I chose myself.

Sophon

Me too and setup a strong password.