Australian couple abandon Down syndrome baby with Thai surrogate mother

webfact

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life is cheep, babies are commodities to be bought and sold, just cancel the contract...

Like it or not, both parties entered into a business relationship

yes but product "human" shouldn't be allowed. I already find it disgusting that people can buy a dog and mistreat it badly (my neighbor does), but buying a baby for fun without checks is just over the border.

• Like 1

Being a surrogate mother is not a evil thing, and bring compensated for it is not evil either.
The only evil part of this story is this couple dumping the twin with Down's syndrome. They were the driving force in the child's birth and should have accepted the responsibility for their actions bringing the child into the world. I feel sorry for the twin they took being raised but such an amoral couple of human effluence. Name them, shame them, and make them stand up and do what they agreed to do! And the the Australian authorities should monitor them for 21 years.

The saddest part is Down's syndrome children are usually totally good natured,
friendly and loving children. Who try hard to be a credit to their families.

My feeling is that you have been told one side of the story by the media whose only interest is sensationalism. 

In reality, it probably went like this. The Aussie couple visited thai clinic about a surrogate baby. The Thai doctor promised, yes yes new healthy baby, just pay.

Then later they were told it was in fact twins - when they only wanted one. The Thai doctor then not wanting to lose face informed them the baby is healthy, but the second baby could be put for adoption if they did not want the one with down syndrome.

Ultimately, it was the Thai clinic that facilitated this.

At last a commentator with at least a semblance of objectivity and rationale.  Not just jumping in boots and all to blame the alleged Australian couple.  There was an agent involved here and anyone who  has lived in Thailand for more than a day should know a little about what goes on.

How quickly all the moralistic fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Let ye amongst you who is without sin cast the first stone.

Government 'concerned' for Gammy, opens talks with Thailand about surrogate baby

August 01, 2014: The Australian parents who abandoned a six-month old baby to its surrogate mother in Thailand have been accused of "unforgivable" behaviour.​

The Federal Government has said it is "concerned" by reports a sick baby was left with her Thai surrogate mother by an Australian couple, and has raised the issue with authorities in Thailand.

The unidentified Australian parents who reportedly abandoned the six-month-old baby have been accused of “unforgiveable” behaviour.

The couple left their newborn baby daughter with his poverty-stricken surrogate mother because he has Down Syndrome. They took her healthy twin sister back to Australia.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/08/01/15/51/ivf-parents-of-abandoned-baby-gammy-accused-of-unforgiveable#iCpv3QI4AZY9Dr7Q.99

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Imo this is not about legal/illegal, or moral/immoral, or straight/homosexual, but about an abandoned baby. Surrogacy will probably continue, so it needs to be made safer for the child. Since the onus is on the procurer of such service, that procurer should put an adequate sum of money into an escrow account which would be paid out in case of abandonment, breach of contract, etc. Call it baby bail...

• Like 1

Government 'concerned' for Gammy, opens talks with Thailand about surrogate baby

August 01, 2014: The Australian parents who abandoned a six-month old baby to its surrogate mother in Thailand have been accused of "unforgivable" behaviour.​

The Federal Government has said it is "concerned" by reports a sick baby was left with her Thai surrogate mother by an Australian couple, and has raised the issue with authorities in Thailand.

The unidentified Australian parents who reportedly abandoned the six-month-old baby have been accused of unforgiveable behaviour.

The couple left their newborn baby daughter with his poverty-stricken surrogate mother because he has Down Syndrome. They took her healthy twin sister back to Australia.
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/08/01/15/51/ivf-parents-of-abandoned-baby-gammy-accused-of-unforgiveable#iCpv3QI4AZY9Dr7Q.99

now this has become political it won't be the last we hear of this. Current affairs shows in Aust will be working overtime to try and identify the aussie couple. Someone knows these people and there will be lose lips and a tip off I bet my left nut.

Life is cheep, babies are commodities to be bought and sold, just cancel the contract...

Like it or not, both parties entered into a business relationship

But the Baby did not...

I am not saying the surrogate mother is blameless, probably more naive, egged on by professionals who were looking to their own gain.  

The hi-so farangs are shit heads. I hope "what goes around, comes around" for these folk..........bah.gif

In this case you shouldn't hope that, because if they get in troubles the other child will get in troubles as well sad.png

Since the onus is on the procurer of such service, that procurer should put an adequate sum of money into an escrow account which would be paid out in case of abandonment, breach of contract, etc. Call it baby bail...

A voluntary commercial agreement between two parties, often three with an agency.

Why does it go without explanation that the procurer bears the onus? At most it seems your stance is purely morally driven. Reality is based on law and particulars of their agreement. Many designs are possible.

The hi-so farangs are shit heads. I hope "what goes around, comes around" for these folk..........bah.gif

In this case you shouldn't hope that, because if they get in troubles the other child will get in troubles as well sad.png

Many kids (me) grew up in broken homes but I/we got through it, still came out OK on the other side. Are these folk going to tell the kid "We abandoned your twin cos it was not perfect".....?..w00t.gif

They paid for a product...they returned the product before the warranty period ran out...much like the relationships between foreigners and Thai women... based on the payment plan...

Just heard on Australian T.V news that the couple come from Perth in Western Australia.  No names given.  The Australian Government is also in talks with Thailand to bring the surrogate mother and the little boy to Australia for treatment.  Apparently nearly 150K has been raised in Australia alone.

....sadly, as she admits.....she did it for money......

..same reason why other Thai women marry foreigners.....no love...nothing...all calculated....

...what they don't factor in is the human cost.....like the children they might have in a marriage....

...all collateral damage....including the husband......

...in this case...shameful behaviour by the paying couple though........

...to just throw away the afflicted child.......

...a totally immoral situation all around......

• Like 1

Just heard on Australian T.V news that the couple come from Perth in Western Australia.  No names given.  The Australian Government is also in talks with Thailand to bring the surrogate mother and the little boy to Australia for treatment.  Apparently nearly 150K has been raised in Australia alone.

l saw that also. Surrogate mum may be granted residency and the child treated in aussie hospitals. Talks apparently with the Junta if they will allow it.

..same reason why other Thai women marry foreigners.....no love...nothing...all calculated....

...what they don't factor in is the human cost.....like the children they might have in a marriage....

Sounds like you had a bad experience with a Thai lady.  I am an Aussie and had the same experience with a Dutch lady.  She took me to the cleaners and then charged me for the detergent.  I got a bad one and never considered them all the same.  Been with my Thai lady for 8 yrs and life couldn't be better, she is wonderful.  Yes I am older than her (5 yrs)

Sounds like you had a bad experience with a Thai lady.  I am an Aussie and had the same experience with a Dutch lady.  She took me to the cleaners and then charged me for the detergent.  I got a bad one and never considered them all the same.  Been with my Thai lady for 8 yrs and life couldn't be better, she is wonderful.  Yes I am older than her (5 yrs)

Why did you choose a Thai lady over 80 years old ??cheesy.gif cheesy.gif --just joking C

• Like 1

Since the onus is on the procurer of such service, that procurer should put an adequate sum of money into an escrow account which would be paid out in case of abandonment, breach of contract, etc. Call it baby bail...

A voluntary commercial agreement between two parties, often three with an agency.

Why does it go without explanation that the procurer bears the onus? At most it seems your stance is purely morally driven. Reality is based on law and particulars of their agreement. Many designs are possible.

I would have thought that my opinion would mostly benefit the baby. If you have a better idea, please share...

Why did you choose a Thai lady over 80 years old ??cheesy.gif cheesy.gif --just joking C

biggrin.png thumbsup.gif I'm only 48 but have in my days enjoyed the pleasures of older women.

this is the classic train wreck in slow motion.

im actually beginning to feel for the australian couple. theyre going to need help.

Hope so and hope they receive the same level of assistance they gave their abandoned baby.

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

What I find unique is that, as you can't abort one baby from twins, the Aussies may have planned this path from as early as 3 months into the pregnancy, (when doctors were aware that 1 child had Downs.) In which case it is pretty "jai dam" I'd reckon. (And ostensibly persuaded the mother accordingly).

biggrin.png thumbsup.gif I'm only 48 but have in my days enjoyed the pleasures of older women.

Ha, there easier to chase and catch, did you earn much ????

I can walk 50 meters and show you a Thai child named Fon that was abandoned by his Thai parents and left with his dirt poor nanny because he was a bit retarded. His adopted mother has to peel garlic to support him and her own children. There are seven children all told. 

To the Aussie couple and the Thai parents of Fon... Rot in hell you selfish gravy sucking pigs!

Why were no medical checks to see that in time to do something?

The OP said that doctors knew after 3 months that the foetus was abnormal. Well in time for an abortion... but the birth mother CHOSE not to on "religious grounds"... which is ok, if you are willing to devote your life to looking after a child with special needs, if you are not and then whinge after the fact, then it is nothing short of stupid, if I may be blunt.

I didn't see that or my subconscious prevented me from reading....

Chose to get a sick kid, even without the money to support it, because the invisible friend maybe want it this way. facepalm.gif It is so sad.

Many kids (me) grew up in broken homes but I/we got through it, still came out OK on the other side. Are these folk going to tell the kid "We abandoned your twin cos it was not perfect".....?..w00t.gif

Yes......people get babies, some parents aren't up to it or just egoists and often the kid will be still OK. Often not.

But on mail-order children it is a complete different story, it is not a baby that just happened.