Shock and awe as fighter jet rolls down Sukhumvit Road

Rimmer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the pilot in the pic ready to eject and flee the scene in the event of an accident?

He is steering the planelaugh.png

The driver of the tug in front is hitched to the nosewheel and HE is steering it. There is no need for anybody in the cockpit at all as the aircraft had been "mothballed" and it will have no hydraulic power nor air, oxygen, nitrogen or fuel on board anyway.

The aircraft is a Hawker Siddley Harrier built in the UK and not a McDonnell Douglas AV8 even though the AV8 is licence built. The Harriers were retired in 2006 some 8 years ago.

'mothballed' or not that's not to say the accumulator couldn't be charged by a hydraulic rig (as is common) to provide a couple of brake applications for emergency

Just1Voice, on 01 Aug 2014 - 16:19, said:

Ahh, yes, buy the world's smallest aircraft carried, with 9 planes you can't get parts for. That's why it's now a floating museum. Amazing Thailand!

Two years after purchasing them eight were unserviceable, I do not know how much longer the remaining one flew for, but with the inability to maintain them, I would not have liked to have been the pilot.

Is there any particular reason they CANNOT get the parts needed for maintenance, or, just can't be bothered and wouldn't know what to do with them if they had them???

Because no one makes the 'planes - nor the parts, anymore They have all been replaced - a long time ago!

Ahh, yes, buy the world's smallest aircraft carried, with 9 planes you can't get parts for. That's why it's now a floating museum. Amazing Thailand!

For those of us around when the mighty HTMS Chakri Naruebet came into service, we are aware that the ship was used as a floating museum from the day of arrival. I don't believe the ship ever launched a single fixed-wing plane form her decks. Chaiyo!

For those of us around when the mighty HTMS Chakri Naruebet came into service, we are aware that the ship was used as a floating museum from the day of arrival. I don't believe the ship ever launched a single fixed-wing plane form her decks. Chaiyo!

At least buying the pocket aircraft carrier made a few people happy .... would love the Junta to investigate where the commissions went (civilians and military).

However, the money seems to have run out, so the Navy are lobbying for a submarine. And I reckon that the new interim govt will approve it before their term expires.

Naam, on 01 Aug 2014 - 18:46, said:
iReason, on 01 Aug 2014 - 17:25, said:

"...on Thailand’s only aircraft carrier, which now has just a handful of working planes due to lack of maintenance, age and a scarcity of spare parts."

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

what is so funny about it? huh.png

The Thai media have nicknamed it the Thai-tanic.

how is the cost overrun of GBP 2.55 billion =110 billion Baht (and counting) of the two unfinished British carriers called? Brit-Tanic?

ermm.gif

You understand that Britain still have 16 other functional carriers don't you ?

Oh dear... When my son finishes his 2 years at the Naval officer training college in April he's due to be moved to that carrier!! His job will be with the flight deck crew! Shouldn't be too many work related accidents anyway

I would like to put straight some of the comments regarding moving this aircraft which is a British Aerospace Harrier GR mk 1. Firstly, unless the engine had been run (mothballed, so unlikely), the hydraulics for the nose wheel steering would not be charged and even if it was, a small red button at the top of the leg would soon discharge the pressure. The man in the cockpit is there to operate the brakes, so assuming the No. 1 hydraulic system was intact, it is a simple matter of ensuring nitrogen pressure in the accumulator and a few pumps on the handpump would provide sufficient pressure for the move.

The fuel tanks might be empty, but probably just enough to keep them "wetted" or they dry out and leak. The hyd system however, would almost certainly have fluid in them otherwise the seals dry out and leak as soon as you apply pressure. Remember, mothballed means the aircraft might be returned to service so must be retained in a recoverable condition. Finally, putting the aircraft on a low loader does sound like a good idea, but it would have to be wide enough to accomodate both of the outrigger on the tips of the mainplanes, so not quite so easy.

I spent 20 great years in the RAF working with the Harrier going from a very green technician to trade manager and later technical advisor. For all those who served with the Harrier force, they were a very special aircraft, still nothing to compete with them today and 15 Dec 2010 was a very sad day for all "Bona Jet" associated personell when it flew it's last sortie as a result of government shortsightedness.

Sorry if I went on a bit, but this aircraft is/was a huge part of my life.

• Like 2

Wikipedia has some interesting background on Thailand's Harriers...on the Harriers page:

The Spanish Navy, Thai Navy, Royal Air Force, and United States Marine Corps have all retired their first-generation Harriers. Spain sold seven single-seat and two twin-seat Harriers to Thailand in 1998.[128][133][N 18] The Royal Thai Navy's AV-8S Matadors were delivered as part of the air wing deployed on the new light aircraft carrier HTMS Chakri Naruebet.[135]

The Thai Navy had from the start significant logistical problems keeping the Harriers operational due to a shortage of funds for spare parts and equipment, leaving only a few Harriers serviceable at a time. In 1999, two years after being delivered, only one airframe was in airworthy condition.[136][137]

Around 2003, Thailand considered acquiring former Royal Navy Sea Harriers, which were more suitable for maritime operations and better equipped for air defence, to replace their AV-8S Harriers; this investigation did not progress to a purchase.[138] The last first-generation Harriers were retired by Thailand in 2006.[139]

Interesting that this account portrays the problems as being a shortage of funds (in the wake of the Asian financial crisis), not that the parts couldn't be obtained.

But either way, less than two years operational lifespan for the aircraft purchased from Spain makes it seem like a pretty poor purchase and investment on the Navy's part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_Harrier#Royal_Air_Force

The webpage also includes a photo of the Thai Navy carrier with its single Harrier perched on the deck.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Great versatile aircraft

without which the Falklands would have been a different ball game if they did not provide CAP sorties for the fleet task force, both RAF and Fleet Air Arm Sea Harriers, I think a few US and other allied soldiers in various Theaters were happy in the knowledge they could call on a show of force when needed from the Harrier also

Is that the pilot in the pic ready to eject and flee the scene in the event of an accident?

"left hand down a bit Khun Pong"!

A Navy Lark fan, forsooth! Finished with engines......... and most of the hull!

For those who have no idea... the Navy Lark was a BBC radio comedy show - see here http://www.navylark.org.uk/

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

"left hand down a bit Khun Pong"!

A Navy Lark fan, forsooth! Finished with engines......... and most of the hull!

For those who have no idea... the Navy Lark was a BBC radio comedy show - see here http://www.navylark.org.uk/

Leslie Phillips is my hero!

They had a Spanish Harrier displaying at the Farnborough airshow two weeks ago. Had to phone a friend, thought I was going nuts.

Plenty of spares available if the money is presented to BAE Systems.

Never knew Thailand some though.

I opened this thread from the email, just to see a picture, seen the picture of the plane and closed the tab.

Then I thought, "Hmm, I wonder how many posts before somebody starts remarking about how crap Thailand are in this thread".

So I reopened the closed tab, first reply insulting Thailand. Ah, thaivisa.com

Not need to insult Thailand at all. What country is perfect?

But in some instances, telling the truth can be seen as insulting.

Naam, on 01 Aug 2014 - 18:46, said:
iReason, on 01 Aug 2014 - 17:25, said:

"...on Thailand’s only aircraft carrier, which now has just a handful of working planes due to lack of maintenance, age and a scarcity of spare parts."

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

what is so funny about it? huh.png

The Thai media have nicknamed it the Thai-tanic.

Just seems kinda sad to me. And nothing particularly surprising. Gov't boondoggles happen everywhere and in countless areas.

Edited by JSixpack

I am suprised us Farangs are allowed to see it ,it must be "classified " like the old warship at Satahip navy base that we are not allowed on ,only Thai's ,i presume the reason being if we stole any secrets from the old American floating museum piece.

Edited by i claudius

You think the Thais are using a specifically designed tow bar ?

It probably a piece of rope they have tied to the plane, which will become the new flight simulator for the F35,s ( when they are procured )

F35's cost over 100million US dollars each, there are only four countries that have them, and Thailand is not on the list.....or ever will be.....coffee1.gif