Retirement in Thailand. At what age does it become unworkable?

NCC1701A

look at old people in a OAP home in the UK  ,look at OAP in go go bars thailand who's  got better life  ,my dream to die  in massage   shop 

ha! Yes, I remember my Father saying he wanted to die by being shot by a jealous husband while getting out of the lady's bedroom window. Guess he was being thoughtful of us when he died quietly in his sleep.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the 90 day reporting and the new visa every 12 months, I don't see too much added hassle. The medical side of things does concern me a little, even though my health is pretty good at 72, I wouldn't want to be hit with huge hospital bills from a private hospital.  A neighbour, just spent a night in Bangkok/Pattaya hospital and they wanted 40,000 baht up front before they would even admit him. I probably wouldn't have much choice but to head back to Australia if I was looking at a lengthy hospital stay.

That is the only thing about getting old here.. its hard to enter the hospital system here unless you worked here for a while you can keep on paying into the system and using it. If you don't insurance will get real expensive at age. Now my insurance is quite affordable but it will go up and up and up.

Statistically speaking hospitals are just about the most dangerous places to be in the United States. Three times as many people die every year due to medical errors in hospitals as die on our highways — 100,000 deaths compared to 34,000. The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that nearly 100,000 people die annually in hospitals from medical errors. Of this group, 80,000 die from hospital acquired infections, many of which can be prevented. Given the above number of admissions that means that 1 out of every 370 people admitted to a hospital dies due to medical errors. So hospitals are very dangerous places.  Hospital customer care is abysmal. Recent studies reveal that the average wait time in American hospital emergency rooms is approximately 4 hours. Name one other business where Americans would tolerate this low level of value and service.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/03/onethird-hospitals-close-2020.html

Jail 

I guess you are right; it only took the jail 2 hours to kill that guy by lethal injection in a American hospital waiting room it would have taken him four hours just to get the shot in the first place. 

Hi.

I don't know about the old age system. foreigner or local in Thailand.

But if they similar to other country's. They'll have retirement villages or similar.

If you financial. Buy a 1\2 bed unit?. Ours also have levels of carers in there too according to cost.

you can increase it as necessary.

Take out hospital cover. 

then all you have to cover above that is any surgery.

Hospitals normally? cover doctors once you in there.

That's what I've done here anyway.

2 bed unit in retirement village where you keep capital gains.

. Hospital cover, and pay any surgery as I go along.

works out pretty good for me so far.

Don't skimp on that part of your spending. You can't take it with you.

Make sure you covered. even if it means you go back to your home country.

Personally I wouldn't grow old anywhere BUT Australia.

Pommy old age pretty good too. My mum dies at 98 and was covered 100% by them till the last day.

Just the climate is shit over there and 6 ft wide roads   YUK.

Hi.

I don't know about the old age system. foreigner or local in Thailand.

But if they similar to other country's. They'll have retirement villages or similar.

If you financial. Buy a 1\2 bed unit?. Ours also have levels of carers in there too according to cost.

you can increase it as necessary.

Take out hospital cover. 

then all you have to cover above that is any surgery.

Hospitals normally? cover doctors once you in there.

That's what I've done here anyway.

2 bed unit in retirement village where you keep capital gains.

. Hospital cover, and pay any surgery as I go along.

works out pretty good for me so far.

Don't skimp on that part of your spending. You can't take it with you.

Make sure you covered. even if it means you go back to your home country.

Personally I wouldn't grow old anywhere BUT Australia.

Pommy old age pretty good too. My mum dies at 98 and was covered 100% by them till the last day.

Just the climate is shit over there and 6 ft wide roads   YUK.

Thailand has no old age system for Farang.  Nor any insurance available.  The idea is to party till you drop. 

This appeals to some not to others.  Depends on how you want to live your end years.  In a bar with a couple of spinners on your lap or in an old folks home eating porridge.  Sometimes I miss a good bowl of porridge but the go go clubs don't seem to stock it.  

Fair enuff.

But old age homes and porridge ar a long way from these places.

Basically they a downsize from full size house and all it's maint. Gardens. Windows. multiple windows etc.

Small unit. NO gardening. Heated pools., parking space for your motorhome\boat\caravan.

You can even have meals too if you require. Just live your life and no hassles. By yourself.

or with neighbors\friends.  Choice is yours.

We go O'Seas for a coupla three months every yr. (Sold caravan after 50 odd yrs of it)

still have 2 boats.for dam and sea fishing.

I'll move in what cost me $340k now. 

when We ready to stop cruising.  meanwhile it's paying for itself so a freebie when we get round to it.

Sell this 2 storey on hillside on Tropic of Capricorn looking out over the Keppel Island group.

and do a last big  6 to 12 months trip with it. worth around 850\900k AUD.

That's our retirement plan.

Don't drink. Like the mental comfort of a like minded, Aged  mate with me. Not some young chick who's only there for the $$$'s and what they can get out of you.  while laughing behind your back.

You want to feel a young piece now and then. I did a while back.

$200 an hr. All you want with a rubber bag on it.

and walk away.  Different one every night for near 2 months.

wes ok. but not for me.

I like the mental comfort of knowing what she wants. and she doing for me what I want. B4 I know it.

Sorry.

I've been over there and watched these Children walking round hanging of the arms of dirty old men.

You'e kidding yourselves if you think they're there for YOUR personality.

It's your wallet,

and it's preferable to the streets.

I feel sorry for them and what the Western world has made them. 

To suit itself.  No more.

There MAY be the odd one or two who MAY BE  there for you. but that'd be it.

You have obviously found what you're looking for in your twilight years, but so have a lot of us in Thailand, so no need to lump us into your "dirty old men" basket. I'm 72 this month and my Thai partner will be 50, so hardly a child. She looks after me better, and I believe, loves me more than any Aussie woman I ever had. Have I taken care of her financially? Of course I have, but I get more than enough in return. So think twice before you start to stereotype all falangs who retire to Thailand. You're welcome to your "god's waiting room" in Oz.

• Like 1

Fair enuff.

But old age homes and porridge ar a long way from these places.

Basically they a downsize from full size house and all it's maint. Gardens. Windows. multiple windows etc.

Small unit. NO gardening. Heated pools., parking space for your motorhome\boat\caravan.

You can even have meals too if you require. Just live your life and no hassles. By yourself.

or with neighbors\friends.  Choice is yours.

We go O'Seas for a coupla three months every yr. (Sold caravan after 50 odd yrs of it)

still have 2 boats.for dam and sea fishing.

I'll move in what cost me $340k now. 

when We ready to stop cruising.  meanwhile it's paying for itself so a freebie when we get round to it.

Sell this 2 storey on hillside on Tropic of Capricorn looking out over the Keppel Island group.

and do a last big  6 to 12 months trip with it. worth around 850\900k AUD.

That's our retirement plan.

Don't drink. Like the mental comfort of a like minded, Aged  mate with me. Not some young chick who's only there for the $$$'s and what they can get out of you.  while laughing behind your back.

You want to feel a young piece now and then. I did a while back.

$200 an hr. All you want with a rubber bag on it.

and walk away.  Different one every night for near 2 months.

wes ok. but not for me.

I like the mental comfort of knowing what she wants. and she doing for me what I want. B4 I know it.

Sorry.

I've been over there and watched these Children walking round hanging of the arms of dirty old men.

It's your wallet,

I feel sorry for them and what the Western world has made them. 

To suit itself.  No more.

I've been in many nursing homes in the USA and they all smell like urine.  1 nurses aid who doesn't give a darn for 20 patients.  I can get 3 bar girls 24/7 for the same price as one untrained, uncaring and generally helpless minimum wage nurses aid. 

It's nice to see that you can pick out the dirty old men.  How do you do that?  What's the difference between a dirty old man and a retired doctor who has rescued a woman and her child from a life of poverty? 

Ain't no one here who thinks that it is not money that makes a companion's life better.  Ain't no one here that does not realize homeless broke guys live alone.  Homeless broke guys live alone in OZ and Thailand in my experience. 

You know what the difference is for me?  In the West I was 100% sure my wife loved me and would stand by me through thick and thin.  I was actually surprised when the divorce papers came and she married a man with more money than I.  Here, would I be surprised?  No.  I don't think she will and I'm worth 10 times more alive than dead so she has no reason to leave but one never knows for sure. 

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

At 85 you should not drive a car anymore. Reflexes are gone.
If you live that long in thailand you should know the language by now.

Reflexes gone or not, probably still better than the average Thai driver.

You will not need to drive
"Driverless Cars coming to Thailand soon"
They will have a computer "brain", so quite, a great advance on brains operating or not in present circumstances

I am 70. Very happy here...with only one concern. I do not speak Thai, and I am not learning well. To find a Thai English speaker it is a mission impossible...and to convince my Thai wife to learn English seems the same. Without the help of a "translator" life in Thailand it is not easy at any age.

I'm older than you and I haven't had any real problems. My Thai partner speaks reasonable English so she translates when I need it. If I was running a business here it might be a tad more difficult.

Sure language is a problem. But..most Thais, though they cannot speak English, can read and write it.
In the past I have had relationships conducted by SMS from the kitchen to the bedroom. Worked very well. Of course I canspeak Thai now , but I don't let on!! Have insisted wife speaks English!

Rupert Brooke
The Old Vicarage at Grantchester

(And when they get to feeling old,
They up and shoot themselves, Im told)

My Mum died 87...Her favorite line. Always said she would jump into the sea...Did not. The reflex to survive is very strong!
  • Like 1

Hi.

I did say Not all. 

More the ones (as I said)  you see walking down the streets. in bars, Children. hanging off the old farts.

True it's the lesser of two evils in what is a third world country.

It's just a shame to see it happening.

Hi.

I did say Not all. 
More the ones (as I said)  you see walking down the streets. in bars, Children. hanging off the old farts.

You clearly know nothing about Thailand except what you have learned from tossing around in red light districts. Shame On You

Hi.

I did say Not all. 

You don't see it happening do you? You don't live here. BTW, they wouldn't be children, they would have to be at least 18.

Edited by giddyup

Maybe some words of encouragement to older people, give some of the negative stuff written here by younger farang who seem to misunderstand the fact that many (certainly not all) older people are fit and healthy and love living in Thailand.

I spoke with a guy at a golf tournament yesterday and his mother belongs to that golf club and plays twice each week. She is 95.  My aunt has just died in Australia. She was 103 and lived in her own home by herself until the last 10 days-and travelled and loved life.  A pal has just died in Spain at 83. He had some health problems but played with a group of pals three times a week and was very popular, with a dry sense of humour. Felt a bit unwell after the first 9 holes the other Friday so drove home. A friend found him dead in his chair the next day. No Medics, no tubes just a peaceful passing.

My point is that our health and fitness levels are more similar at 25 than at,say, 70. And olderr people who keep themselves fit and acive are - er, fit and active and definitely not brain dead! 

So why not live happily in Thailand, enjoy the differences in climate, people food etc etc and cope with  or get help with the trivialities of bureaucracy-which are not non-existent in their countries of origin.

So to the OP, go for it and dont worry,. You will be fine-more fun than life in your comfort zone

How do you do that?  What's the difference between a dirty old man and a retired doctor who has rescued a woman and her child from a life of poverty? 

The difference is that the retired doctor probably wouldn't have made his help conditional on the woman opening her legs on demand for the next 10-20 years.

I know a doctor in Pattaya who has a Thai wife and child.  You don't think doctors marry women from Thailand?

My doctor in another part of Thailand a few years ago asked a current GF if she could fix him up with a date. 

What you don't think doctors in Thailand marry or have a social life?  Doctors are normal men.  I think normal men have sex with their wifes and girlfriends, don't you? 

Maybe I'm missing the point.  Is there some level of financial Independence that women should have before men ask them out on a date? 

• Like 1

It's not an age- it's when you become too decrepit to manage your activities of daily living yourself, or if you can't afford health insurance and don't want to die if you get sick.

Personally, I'd hate my wife to have to look after me when I become a burden, so it's either time to fly, or it's time to go back to a retirement home.

You're bursting no one's bubble, you just make it clearer by every post you respond to just how bitter you are. Why don't you get off your arse, join the human race, maybe find a girlfiend/boyfriend who can turn you around.

I burst YOUR bubble because it needed bursting. 

You couldn't answer the simple question I posed; basically, if you didn't pay your partner, would she be with you?

As I said then, I genuinely don't have any problem WHATSOEVER with a bloke paying a woman to take care of him in whatever way(s) he requires, regardless of his age. It's a non issue as far as I'm concerned

Hey, I don't even think a bloke should be expected to admit it - unless, like YOU and more than a few others on here - younger OR older - you're boasting and gushing to any gullible idiot reading about how loving, doting, loyal, dedicated, committed or whatever their significantly younger wives are when, in actual fact, they're little more than employees.

Do you have a partner?  How much do you pay her?  Not that I care but I'd be willing to bet you have never had a date with a woman.  Because you sure don't know how it works. smile.png

Tell me how many poor homeless Farangs in Bangkok have you met that have a wife ? 

I'm inclined to agree, he's bitter because he's frustrated. Even in Thailand he can't find a partner, now that is sad.

ME

"I've been over there and watched these Children walking round hanging of the arms of dirty old men.

It's your wallet,

I feel sorry for them and what the Western world has made them."

---

YOU.---------------------

So basically a guy who knows nothing about Thailand comes on Thai Visa telling me how to live my life.  

ME>

NOPE 

Just the views and Impressions people get when they go over there for a wek\Month, or yr.

Talking to your missus. Mates or acquaintances there and elsewhere.

It's what happens.

and most outside the life of them doing it Think the same

worldwide.

'ave a gud 'un.

Yes.

And "responsible" adults with normal morals also differentiate between 18\20 yr olds and old man pensioners too.

They have absolutely nothing in common, mentally or otherwise.

as a few have said on here.

even to go as far as saying they don't even speak each others language.   Come on..

It's a beautiful country, with (what were) beautiful people too.

20+ posts were just removed. If people cannot remain civil to each other, or stay on the topic of the thread, it can be closed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.