Green tea, fruit juice drinks to face 10-20% excise tax

webfact

Green tea, fruit juice drinks to face 10-20% excise tax

1795532_10152580549931119_52412915902832

BANGKOK: -- The Excise Department is contemplating on imposing excise tax on green tea drinks after tea ingredient in the drink is very small that does not help tea farmers.

It is considering 10-20% excise tax on such tea drink after it does very little to promote tea farming in the country.

Other drinks sold at convenience stores’ freezers such as fruit juice drinks may also subject to excise tax as very small fruit ingredients in these drinks do very little to promote fruit farmers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/green-tea-fruit-juice-drinks-face-10-20-excise-tax/

[thaipbs]2014-08-01[/thaipbs]

This is lame dog sick pig excuse,  nothing to do with tea producers, it's because it's one of the best sellers  MONEY--INCOME they think everyone has fallen of the back of a number nine bus?

Tea is an important crop in Thailand and it's growing rapidly, if you've seen the tea farms in northern Thailand around Chiang Rai you would understand that. Methinks this move is about protecting that market.

This is lame dog sick pig excuse,  nothing to do with tea producers, it's because it's one of the best sellers  MONEY--INCOME they think everyone has fallen of the back of a number nine bus?

Tea is an important crop in Thailand and it's growing rapidly, if you've seen the tea farms in northern Thailand around Chiang Rai you would understand that. Methinks this move is about protecting that market.

But if your a tea drinker then you normally drink the hot stuff. These drinks (in the OP picture) have about as much similarity to tea as plastic does to paper. 

• Like 2

But if your a tea drinker then you normally drink the hot stuff. These drinks (in the OP picture) have about as much similarity to tea as plastic does to paper. 

Despite that, it still requires tea.

How does an excise tax help the farmers? Unless the monies go to them directly, this is BS.

Domestic market protection protects local farmers and penalizes overseas competition.

But an excise tax is not an import tax.. is it?

Personally I think they are just trying to earn as much tax earnings as possible!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Raw ingredients shipped in from overseas - prevented.

Point two - of course they are, aren't all governments!

I think it's a good decision. These drink contain almost no tea, still they are sold as tea.

I have ever checked how much kiwi there was in a certain kiwi-green tea. I believe it was 0.005% and the percentage of green tea was also really small.

When you sell something as green tea, I think it's fair to assume it's mainly based on green tea and not on a mix of chemicals and sugar.

These tea drinks try to give people the illusion that they are drinking something healthy, while they are not different from coke or pepsi (these should be taxed too).

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Despite that, it still requires tea.

Not denying that it requires tea - Its just that the consumer doesn't want something that tastes like tea. They want something that tastes like sweet water, not tea. If you want to protect tea farmers promote their product; Thai tea as a global brand, so it can compete and hopefully thrive on the international market and raise the incomes of the growers.

Don't add tax to yellow sugar water. - Taxation is usually a fiscal tool used to change consumer behaviour - in the case of say cigerettes and alcohol - increase the price make it more expensive so consumer consume less. If the consumers consume less tea as a result of say a 20% price increase - (i.e. drink less bottled sweet water). How does that help / promote / protect Thai tea farmers? 

How much of this tax will go straight into government coffers and how much will go to the tea farmer? My guess is heavily in favour of the government, which makes the whole argument and justification of taxation rather moot, doesn't it? 

It seems increasingly evident that fiscal policy is being dictated by a simple mantra - Tax everything, protect Thailand. 

BTW - I can't stand the stuff in the pictures. 

Edited by jonclark

How does an excise tax help the farmers? Unless the monies go to them directly, this is BS.

Domestic market protection protects local farmers and penalizes overseas competition.

What happens with the AEC next year and the supposed abolition of tariff barriers,  will the Thais still practice protectionism in the face of their so called partners ?

Thainess would suggest they'll have a damn good go.

• Like 2

Besides the fact I am happy these drinks will be taxed, I don't believe in the motivation given. 

It's just no logical - they should start with coke and pepsi in this case.

I think the real motivation is political.

Tan from Ichitan is getting a bit too much power, and he's generally seen as a red shirt.

But an excise tax is not an import tax.. is it?

Personally I think they are just trying to earn as much tax earnings as possible!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
Someone has to pay for all the return happiness to thais & it surely ain't from the government pockets. Free movies & popcorns anyone?

Sent from my C6833 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think it's a good decision. These drink contain almost no tea, still they are sold as tea.
I have ever checked how much kiwi there was in a certain kiwi-green tea. I believe it was 0.005% and the percentage of green tea was also really small.
When you sell something as green tea, I think it's fair to assume it's mainly based on green tea and not on a mix of chemicals and sugar.

These tea drinks try to give people the illusion that they are drinking something healthy, while they are not different from coke or pepsi (these should be taxed too).

my goodness and there was me thinking that they were a healthy green tea alternative and not a soft drink next thing you know they will be telling us fizzy orange in a can isn't really orange juice

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

AFAIK currently drinks with tea get a tax cut, this news probably means that, due to actual tea content being so minimal the normal tax level should/will be applied.

Does anyone know the extent of false advertising legislation,  if there is any ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Weird logic indeed.

Why tea and not coke. Coke doesn't help coca farmers in Thailand either. But they sure help sugar farmers.

Now you have done it, tax on cake is next wub.png

The partial quote below from this Nation as this new article says it all...it's to expand the country's tax base; it's got nothing to do with benefiting anyone or any group other than the government's tax revenue.  It's just a tax increase, pure and simple.

The new excise tax on beverages is proposed to be imposed according to sugar content, to expand the country's tax base.

Frickin ridiculous! Such idiots.

Why?

These "green tea" drinks have the same amount of sugar as coke. It is a sugar drink with tea flavor. Coke is a sugar drink with coca flavor (or whatelse). So it would be only fair to tax it the same.

(I got told coke is already taxed with 25%, but I am not sure if it is true).

• Like 1