Russian woman falls to death from 44-floor condo in Bangkok

webfact

Russian girl falls to death from 44-floor condo in Makkasan

BANGKOK: -- A 28-year-old Russian girl fell to her death from her rented condo room on the 34th floor, Makkasan police said Friday. She was identified later as Miss Svetlana Pokasova.

Her body was found on the ground of the car park in the condo off Phetburi road.

The condo offers daily and monthly rental services.

Police said they questioned the victim’s sister who rented another opposite room and were told that the victim shared the rented room with another Russian girl.

There was no trace of fighting, use of drugs, or liquor in the room.

But police said they found a half smoked cigarette at the corridor and a cigarette tray.

Police said they were looking for her friend to find out the exact cause of the death.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/russian-girl-falls-death-44-floor-condo-makkasan/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-01

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May she rest in peace.

Meanwhile Bangkok must be by far the world's #1 of people dying by falling from high floor balconies. Are the railings there too low perhaps? Or are they a convenient way to "get rid of people,without the BiB doing anything about it"?

" Are the railings there too low perhaps?"

An interesting question. Many Thai buildings seem to have kitchen and bathroom counters lower than westerners are used to. Normally they are about waist high. Thais are generally shorter than many farangs, I wonder if this is also the case with the balcony railings? It appears a larger proportion of farangs take a balcony dive than Thais.

Perhaps someone with experience in Thai construction standards can clarify.

• Like 1

May she rest in peace.

Meanwhile Bangkok must be by far the world's #1 of people dying by falling from high floor balconies. Are the railings there too low perhaps? Or are they a convenient way to "get rid of people,without the BiB doing anything about it"?

It would be interesting to see the total numbers for deaths in Thailand by falling from balconies.

• Like 2

Police said they were looking for her friend to find out the exact cause of the death.

Why? Is the friend a medical examiner?

I thought it rather a strange statement too.

I think the cause of death is pretty damned obvious, I go as far as to say its from impact with the ground from 44floors up that did it...

RIP anyways. Too many case like this here.

• Like 1

And here we go with another 'whodunnit' theory. Bangkok/Pattaya has a high number of these cases because of 2 reasons: 1) the railings are nearly always lower on most balconies here. 2) Most high rises around the world do not permit balconies from 2 or 3 floors up. In Bangkok, its not unusual and many hotels have balconies high up. State Tower has balconies right up to the 60th floor! Combine these two issues with loads of booze, and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

Most of these 'pattaya high dives' that you hear about where someone has been conveniently disposed off are just not true. Sure, it does happen. There are definitely cases where people have been thrown off but it is rare. Most of the time, its a simple accident.

Anyone ever stayed at the Hilton in Pattaya? Question of time before someone takes a fall there. The balcony is thin glass and comes up to the top of my thigh.

I think that the following aspects need to be examined:

1) on what visa was she here?

2) How long had she been here?

if the answer is "a dancer (entertainment) then move onto 4)

4) who provided the information for the visa?

Of course this may simply be a case of a Russian lady falling off her balcony but surely a Russian would prefer a seaside town such as Pattaya or somewhere on Phuket as opposed to skyscraper Bangkok?

Russian mafia (small m) are well known for their ruthlessness towards their 'employees'.

I've seen it .

• Like 2

And here we go with another 'whodunnit' theory. Bangkok/Pattaya has a high number of these cases because of 2 reasons: 1) the railings are nearly always lower on most balconies here. 2) Most high rises around the world do not permit balconies from 2 or 3 floors up. In Bangkok, its not unusual and many hotels have balconies high up. State Tower has balconies right up to the 60th floor! Combine these two issues with loads of booze, and you have a disaster waiting to happen.

Most of these 'pattaya high dives' that you hear about where someone has been conveniently disposed off are just not true. Sure, it does happen. There are definitely cases where people have been thrown off but it is rare. Most of the time, its a simple accident.

Anyone ever stayed at the Hilton in Pattaya? Question of time before someone takes a fall there. The balcony is thin glass and comes up to the top of my thigh.

How can the Hilton be so stupid? Is it really the Hilton or a copy? lol

May she rest in peace.

" Are the railings there too low perhaps?"

An interesting question. Many Thai buildings seem to have kitchen and bathroom counters lower than westerners are used to. Normally they are about waist high. Thais are generally shorter than many farangs, I wonder if this is also the case with the balcony railings? It appears a larger proportion of farangs take a balcony dive than Thais.

Perhaps someone with experience in Thai construction standards can clarify.

Most Thais have height below 170cm. Local regulations need railing height at only 90cm.

This is inadequate for westerns as many have height in the 175-185cm range. Minimum height of railings should be 105cm to cater to international guests.

• Like 2

May she rest in peace.

Are the railings there too low perhaps?

They are the correct height for low lifes

I am pretty sure this is the condo that my partner rents a condo in. He is here with me in Laos right now but there is only one building that would be exactly 44 stories in that area that I am aware of and that is The Address Asoke. The railings are no lower than one would expect so I don't think that is the cause of the problem.

RIP to the deceased and their family.

Edited by anotheruser

I think that the following aspects need to be examined:

4) who provided the information for the visa?

Of course this may simply be a case of a Russian lady falling off her balcony but surely a Russian would prefer a seaside town such as Pattaya or somewhere on Phuket as opposed to skyscraper Bangkok?

Russian mafia (small m) are well known for their ruthlessness towards their 'employees'.

I've seen it .

"I think that the following aspects need to be examined:

4) who provided the information for the visa?"

Why?

• Like 1

Where did she get the money to come to Thailand. Was she here on a tourist visa? How long was she here on a tourist visas? How did she support herself in Thailand? Was she a prostitute? Those are the bloody simplest questions that any journalist would ask before writing this story. The police aren't going to solve this because the press hasn't the stones to do their job.

Write a real story. Do some homework and some legwork.

I'm very sorry for you young lady and more than just a bit angry at the quagmire of corruption that is.

"Where did she get the money to come to Thailand. Was she here on a tourist visa? How long was she here on a tourist visas? How did she support herself in Thailand? Was she a prostitute?"

You forgot to ask whether she shaved her box. That would be just as relevant.

For someone who claims to be sympathetic those are very odd questions that you seem to think need to be asked about her.

• Like 1

Why? Is the friend a medical examiner?

I thought it rather a strange statement too.

I think the cause of death is pretty damned obvious, I go as far as to say its from impact with the ground from 44floors up that did it...

RIP anyways. Too many case like this here.

34 floors up, not 44.