Abandoned baby's surrogate mother a 'saint': Australia

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not being glib here, but couldn't the surrogate sue for child support in Australian court?

The child must have the right to Australian citizenship, child benefit and disability allowance.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if her story is correct, I would sue her for being employed to do a job  - surrogate - and then deciding what to do against parents reasonable request in the DS circumstances, but taking the money and going all out to publicise and castigate.

If her story is a lie, then sue her double.

What a surprise that this Saint is all about the money! Worst mistake of the ozzie's lives.

Edited by twix38
  • Like 2

"Saint" is going a bit too far bur "Hero" I agree with.Technically this is not her child, she was merely the incubator.She made the decision to foster the child long before there was media attention.You guys are far too rough on her. She honored her part of the bargain, it was the heartless biological parents that reneged.I hope she gets all the support she needs to raise this child, best of luck to her!

Good and well stated words boxclever.
This story is about humanity, celebrate and congratulate the surrogate mum. Scorn on the Oz couple I'm afraid, they now have to live with this heartless decision. Their day of judgment will last years... Edited by Lancashireman
  • Like 1

She is not a saint. The agent didn't paid her so she used another option and goes after the Farang.

I believe agents normally don't let the mother get in contact with the farang families.

In no time that saint will try to get access to the funds so for the future of Gammy, the Australian government should make anything that is possible to get Gammy to Australia.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not being glib here, but couldn't the surrogate sue for child support in Australian court?

The child must have the right to Australian citizenship, child benefit and disability allowance.

I hope so, because I'm not sure this child is considered Thai, if the child is born to a surrogate mother. I hope he is, or that complicates things further in terms of having citizenship and access to health services in Thailand. 

The lack of sympathy for women like this that forced to do things like surrogate motherhood is disgusting, especially since the cynics on this board have it easy compared to Thai's who are born with little money, have limited education opportunities, and can only command a wage of 10,000 baht a month or so.. so what if she allowed her body to be used 'for the money'..  

the Australian parents back in WA must be shitting in their pants worrying that they could get outed as the mean parents that took the healthy baby and rejected the retarded one.. but I can empathize with them as well, i can't imagine how hard and expensive it would be to take care of a retarded child for the rest of it's life..

- I hope the Thai mother has the intellectual capability to handle the money that was donated to her - so she doesn't have to do this again when she would have new debts.
- I hope she'll find the strength to take care of the baby and that both will be happy together.
- I hope that the Australian couple will be punished.

I think the Australian laws about being a surrogate mother are really terrible:
- An Australian women would have to do it for free - so they can't find a enough candidates.
- But a Thai woman can be bought without any legal problem.

Are Australians a different kind of human than Thai people? Why is the law not the same for both?

Hopefully I'm wrong......but this whole affair is starting to sound like a Thai Soapy..........and unfortunately, I now think it's a scam!!..........were there actually twins born?.......are the hospital records....and if so, are the records genuine?...........

Check DNA.......there are records of all infants born nowadays............

dont need to read much of this as the aussie gov should keep out of personel buis & maintane their nose up their **rse

They have no idea of whats going on in their own country when they leave their cititzens unemployed (not through lack of skills )

It is actually better not to be an assie citizen

"But the baby girl's Australian father says the clinic's doctor only told them about the girl.

He has told the ABC they had a lot of trouble with the surrogacy agency and had been told it no longer existed." https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/24622083/baby-gammy-wa-parents-of-girl-born-to-thai-surrogate-deny-abandoning-twin-brother/

The above is a recent report drom Oz.

He looks great in the photos, very responsive. Heart problems are reaty common with Downs.

An amniocentesis is a procedure that allows a small amount of the fluid around the developing baby (amniotic fluid) to be collected. This fluid contains cells from the baby that can be tested for some types of birth defects.

• The most common type of test done on an amniocentesis sample is a chromosome test.
  • In some cases, tests for infections, spina bifida or other genetic conditions may be done.

This is the test we had on our second child to check for any problems. That was 28 years ago.

This was Artificial insemination of the Thai lady. Screening, I would have assumed should have been carried out on all, Thai Lady, and the couple in Oz and if they used donor sperm that person as well.

The kid appears to be getting all the right treatment and love. Gets the heart fixed, and hoping it is minor, he should have a great life in Thailand.

I hope the above facts are right, as I don't know too many people that would abandon their new born. That being the case, the Oz pollie is just trying to score brownie points from the community, but creating a big problem for people that may not need or warrant such attention. His job is shoring up policies on exactly these type of situations, not create a smoke screen because he can't get past the need of someone wanting a baby.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison gets my DIc#head award for the week.

This story has more twists and turns than the Mekong.

Man at centre of Thai surrogacy scandal has conviction for indecently dealing with a child
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/08/04/20/53/baby-gammy-dad-has-sex-convictions#bdYXTmKOUJHQHfL3.99

I assume they are talking about the Australian man?
If he has the guts to dump his newly born child because it has down syndrome, he's probably not the nicest guy around. So, the conviction doesn't really surprise me. Edited by kriswillems

she did it for money, no saint

she did not do the abortion and prefers to bring in a sick child that will never be able to support itself

she now won much money

she can still choose to give minimal care and get the $200.000 dollar and build a nice house, buy car, lux items for the rest of her life

It seems the $200k is not enough, now she plans on suing the Aussie parents

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/10344134/Surrogate-mother-threatens-to-sue-Australian-parents

Wonder how much she is making from the TV interviews? 

Now, THAT puts an entirely new spin to the whole saga, and a serious dent in the sainthood she was, so it appears, awarded a little too prematurely.

To bring it to a point: Money was the only driving factor in the first place (which the surrogate mother even admitted), and money continues to play a major role despite all the "saint" and "hero" accolades.  

she did not do the abortion and prefers to bring in a sick child that will never be able to support itself

she now won much money

she can still choose to give minimal care and get the $200.000 dollar and build a nice house, buy car, lux items for the rest of her life

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/10344134/Surrogate-mother-threatens-to-sue-Australian-parents

Now, THAT puts an entirely new spin to the whole saga, and a serious dent in the sainthood she was, so it appears, awarded a little too prematurely.

To bring it to a point: Money was the only driving factor in the first place (which the surrogate mother even admitted), and money continues to play a major role despite all the "saint" and "hero" accolades.

Of course she should sue the Australian couple. What they did to her is really terrible. There's no excuse possible. If the surrogate mother would be Australian, she would do exactly the same thing. Do you believe you think an Australian surrogate mother would shut up and smile if she was given 200K USD?

she now won much money

Of course she should sue the Australian couple. What they did to her is really terrible. There's no excuse possible. If the surrogate mother would be Australian, she would do exactly the same thing. Do you believe you think an Australian surrogate mother would shut up and smile if she was given 200K USD?

Stay tuned...

Man at centre of Thai surrogacy scandal has conviction for indecently dealing with a child
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/08/04/20/53/baby-gammy-dad-has-sex-convictions#bdYXTmKOUJHQHfL3.99

If he has the guts to dump his newly born child because it has down syndrome, he's probably not the nicest guy around. So, the conviction doesn't really surprise me.

New information has come to light tonight on the couple at the centre of the baby Gammy surrogacy scandal.

It has been confirmed that the husband has a criminal history: a conviction for indecently dealing with a child.

The man in question has a conviction for indecently dealing with a child under the age of 13.

He was found guilty and jailed in 1998.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/08/04/20/53/baby-gammy-dad-has-sex-convictions#DuPlpE1C5wrRj1VH.99

If he has the guts to dump his newly born child because it has down syndrome, he's probably not the nicest guy around. So, the conviction doesn't really surprise me.

New information has come to light tonight on the couple at the centre of the baby Gammy surrogacy scandal.

It has been confirmed that the husband has a criminal history: a conviction for indecently dealing with a child.

The man in question has a conviction for indecently dealing with a child under the age of 13.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/08/04/20/53/baby-gammy-dad-has-sex-convictions#DuPlpE1C5wrRj1VH.99
  • Like 1

"But the baby girl's Australian father says the clinic's doctor only told them about the girl.

He has told the ABC they had a lot of trouble with the surrogacy agency and had been told it no longer existed." https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/24622083/baby-gammy-wa-parents-of-girl-born-to-thai-surrogate-deny-abandoning-twin-brother/

The above is a recent report drom Oz.

He looks great in the photos, very responsive. Heart problems are reaty common with Downs.

An amniocentesis is a procedure that allows a small amount of the fluid around the developing baby (amniotic fluid) to be collected. This fluid contains cells from the baby that can be tested for some types of birth defects.

• The most common type of test done on an amniocentesis sample is a chromosome test.
  • In some cases, tests for infections, spina bifida or other genetic conditions may be done.

This is the test we had on our second child to check for any problems. That was 28 years ago.

This was Artificial insemination of the Thai lady. Screening, I would have assumed should have been carried out on all, Thai Lady, and the couple in Oz and if they used donor sperm that person as well.

The kid appears to be getting all the right treatment and love. Gets the heart fixed, and hoping it is minor, he should have a great life in Thailand.

I hope the above facts are right, as I don't know too many people that would abandon their new born. That being the case, the Oz pollie is just trying to score brownie points from the community, but creating a big problem for people that may not need or warrant such attention. His job is shoring up policies on exactly these type of situations, not create a smoke screen because he can't get past the need of someone wanting a baby.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison gets my DIc#head award for the week.

"...Screening, I would have assumed should have been carried out on all..."

Sadly, I highly doubt that.

Especially, given the fact that the agent has disappeared...

Even if I believed that the parents are not abandoning their child and even if I believed that this woman is a wicked schemer who somehow accurately predicted that the parents would not want their own child, I still don't understand the vile hatred towards the surrogate mother. A hatred so strong that some of this baby's own, I presume, countrymen would rather condemn a just-born, but apparently defective, Australian citizen to a life of poverty in a struggling country instead of standing up and demanding a just and caring life for it with access to top-notch medical care, for no other reason than to vilify the mother.

This child is not a piece of trash to be thrown away. Most people love their children, even those that don't match expectations. Call me naive, but I hope the Thai and Aussie governments conduct proper due diligence of the heritage of the child and follow up with a plan of care shared by both countries.

One thing's for sure, in the future economies controlled by the Chinese and Indian mega-trillionaires, everyone will be much more understanding when some rich Chinese politico publicly commands his poverty-stricken, white, anglo-saxon handmaiden to have an abortion because he doesn't want her inferior spawn messing up his perfect family. blink.png

• Like 2

Oh outstanding.  It never rains but it pours.

• Like 1

For once Scott Morrison is showing some well placed compassion.

Pity he can't show a similar concern for the refugees who are arriving by boat, who are either towed back or put in detention centres.

You just could not help yourself you grub. Using anothers extreme misfortune to make a political statement.  You are disgusting, that poor child and mother deserve better than the likes of you. You make me sick !

From the Washington Post today...
"Pattaramon said she met the Australian couple once when the babies were born and knew only that they lived in Western Australia state."
Two days ago, in a report on this site Pattaramon claimed she never met them.

"Pattaramon, (21) who also has a 6-year-old son and a 3-year-old daughter, said she approached the surrogacy agency on Facebook early last year because she wanted money to pay off debts."

She was 15 when she had her first child.
BTW, where is the father of her children?
Where is he to help pay off their debts?

The father/fathers will be amongst the thousands of "Butterfly" thai fathers who just clear off when they get the bad news.

Did the surrogate mother actually know that she was carrying a DS baby. I cannot find where she admits to have been told in time to abort. The surrogate organisation appears to have been very secretive, firstly in not even informing the natural parents of twins.

I don't believe the birth mother actually spoke with the Aussie couple about aborting the baby. Seems more likely the surrogate agency made the request and didn't even inform the Aussies that twins were on the way! Why isn't anybody questioning the agency to see just how much they were involved in this situation.

I am sure the better informed will put me right, but

The Thai lady was paid 400,000 Baht to be a surrogate. 
After finding out the baby had Downs Syndrome, the ozzie couple ask their employee (forgive the word, but the meaning is more paid-help) to have an abortion. She refuses due to religious grounds. 

In that case the Thai lady has chosen to take on the responsibility and she takes on the risk of looking after the baby that the ozzie couple plainly told her they wanted aborted and not forced on them OR what is the point of a Downs Syndrome test in the first place if not to give the choice to the parents to abort with this news. It is exactly the point of the test. Many other prospective parents DO abort quite commonly when told they will have a DS baby if they proceed to birth.
If the ozzie couple don't have control, why are they paying and if the Thai lady takes control and gives birth, then why should the ozzie couple be forced into a life many others chose not to have, when told the baby is a DS baby.

Frankly I view the Thai lady with scepticism and accept it is very unfortunate all round, but I would be equal in my thinking to the ozzies if I paid a considerable sum and was forced by the surrogate I was paying to have a DS baby to care for for life, after I (we) had the DS test done and requested an abortion. The Thai lady is making the decisions for the ozzies and getting paid by them and going to the press. I expect she is nothing of the sort, but as I mention, perhaps the better informed can put me right. Is she a money grabbing womb for sale to clear debts, who takes control of the situation and goes from employee to boss and PR guru OR a sweet, caring and religious soul who has deep convictions?

There is one big puzzle though, why on Earth wasn't the issue of abortion clarified up front and beforehand. Then there would be a clear party in the right or wrong because this situation would have been agreed upon and understood before any money was paid. For me if the Thai lady said she would abort or if it was not discussed then the Thai lady has chosen to take responsibility by her actions to go against the abortion wish for good reasons (DS) of the Ozzie's who are paying for her services. 

I'm sorry but I think you are wrong, the point of the DS test is to prepare the parents so that if the unborn child is DS then they are prepared for it. Just because some people use the DS test as an excuse to get rid of a baby that isn't "Normal" that doesn't mean that is what it is for.

Brigante7.