Thai Police to crack down on drivers using smartphone functions today

webfact

In my country (Austria) they charge you 50euro (~ 2000thb) + a warning, 2nd offense 250euro (~ 10k thb) + revoke your license plate for 6month. 3rd offense: dnt know as i paid only 2 times :-)
<second post edited, was to fast typing> Edited by bronco10250

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.... let's have a guessing competition.... what will the next crackdown be on?

I'm in favor of a crackdown on people wearing sparkly "doll eyes" contact lenses, in an unnatural colour. The day-walkers. 5000 baht on the spot fine. Just a quick walk around any university campus or the Siam area and the authorities will clean up. I mean surely these people are a threat to themselves and society in general. When I was a wee chappy we didn't stand for this kind of nonsense.

Women who wear short skirts with lycra cycling shorts on underneath. What the hell is that about?

As post #7 says ... what about motorcyclists using the phone? I hope this 'CRACKDOWN', there's that word again, will also include motorcyclists. I know car drivers are guilty of using the phone but motorcyclists ( I'm sure we all see them everyday riding around town, stuck to their mobile) are also a huge danger. And what about the umbrella usage on the bike? One hand to ride and the other to hold the umbrella. If they're gonna claim it's dangerous to use the phone whilst driving, which it obviously is, let's have some consistency right across the board with this.

Actually if that's your bike in your avatar then there seems to quite enough distraction anyway without a phone or umbrella. Unless that's you in the picture in which case ...... oh no I can't put that it's disgusting.

• Like 1

Sorry to beat a dead horse but, I can't drive from Jomtien to Pattaya no matter what route, what time of day, and during that short of distance, I come across at least one motorcyclist going the wrong way on my side of the road..........WHAT CRACKDOWN????

Patience bro, that's got to be on the crackdown list too I'm sure.

Seriously, though, I agree with you that among the many annoying things that drivers do again and again in this otherwise lovely country, this one is on top of the list in the crazy, dangerous and scary department, but I guess a lot more so for us Westerners who are totally conditionned to expect no vehicles going the wrong way.

You can see that Thais have somehow absorbed it in their genes by now, because they're never startled when faced with this situation.

While the police also drive the wrong way with bikes and cars i cant imagine the rest of the population deeming it as against the law.

• Like 1

Talking on the phone illegal while driving? How come nobody respects the law? Is it because the police is just a bunch of lazy thugs?

The police have nothing to do with some ones disrespect of the law. That is a personal choice every one must make for them selves.wai.gif

Sorry to rain on your poor attempt at police bashing.sad.png

Traffic Police: The 5 common violations and No texting while driving measures goes well on first day

BANGKOK, 5 August 2014 (NNT)- Traffic police today reported smoother traffic flow at most intersections in the capital as thousands of police were deployed to implement strict measures concerning five common violations. Police are particularly enforcing the law against texting while driving.

Ninety Bangkok intersections which are normally congested with vehicles defying traffic laws, are being closely monitored. Police have launched the campaign against major violations of traffic laws focusing on taking legal action against drivers who cut across lanes especially at merging points. These drivers will receive the immediate attention of the law enforcers.

Traffic police commander Pol Maj-Gen Jirasan Kaeosang-ek said traffic flow this morning was smooth. From this D Day, the ‘no texting while driving’ order will be the focus of police action during the campaign. Drivers at fault are those who take a phone call, message or even browse the internet. He said the police would assess the result of this morning’s campaign this afternoon for improved supervision over coming days. Drivers who use a mobile phone to call, or text will receive a penalty ranging from 400 baht to 1,000 baht.

[nnt]2014-08-05[/nnt]

"Traffic police today reported smoother traffic flow at most intersections in the capital as thousands of police were deployed to implement strict measures concerning five common violations."

Just wondering what thousands of police were doing yesterday?

What about taxi drivers who use GPRS and have to answer calls from base controllers?

Hands free phone setup for them.

How dumb am I.  Thanks.clap2.gif

A few years back there was a study done in North America that said the hands free phones were still dangerous as people seemed to pay less attention to the road when they were having a conversation using them. Seems to me that the only 100% safe thing you can do with a phone when driving is turn it off.wai.gif

What about taxi drivers who use GPRS and have to answer calls from base controllers?

Hands free phone setup for them.

How dumb am I.  Thanks.clap2.gif

bangkoks no better or worse than london, never ceases to amaze me, constantly c people driving cars worth up to 50,000 £  using phones costing up to 500£ ish and not spending 20£ on a hands free kit, or swapping their rad/cd's over for bluetooth sets for not much more than circa  £100 and the real irony is most newish cars has hands free facility built in.   A more pragmatic/sensible   approach would be a solid government/state  backed programme teaching awareness of Bluetooth or hand free usage/ availability.

I don't see how this new law could be enforced. You can't see through these black tinted windows

The black tinted windows make crossing the road riding a motorcycle, bicycle etc a far more risky proposition than it should be. You have no direct clue as to whether a driver has even seen you.

I used to be a motorcycle dispatch rider in London. The only way to survive there was to drive defensively. Generally I would never assume I had been seen unless I had eye contact with the driver. With blacked out windows that vital link is simply not available to you. This makes crossing walking cycling motor cycling or driving a car far more dangerous. i have been told that at night it is extremely difficult for the driver to see out of the tinted windows thus the risk of an accident is probably a least doubled..

As for motorcyclist using the phone whilst driving it is endemic. But lets face reality. In places where efforts are made to make people wear crash helmets people still don't do it despite the stops and fines. In the UK you would end up losing your license if you kept repeating the offense.. 

Talking on the phone illegal while driving? How come nobody respects the law? Is it because the police is just a bunch of lazy thugs?

The police have nothing to do with some ones disrespect of the law. That is a personal choice every one must make for them selves.wai.gif

Sorry to rain on your poor attempt at police bashing.sad.png
Your comment was totally useless. Your poor attempt to start an argument made smile nobody but you.

Thailand...The Hub of Crackdowns.whistling.gif

Yes, it is :-) What a joke! Its just anothet cash-in... and thank you Royal Thai Police: Another Prio-Announcment :-) What a country... a real export hit for all global criminals :-)

Next Crackdown. Prostitution.

Hefty fines don't help but confiscate their driving licence and/or car. On the freeways in California I still see many on their phones, texting and driving and. And the fines are quite hefty.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE Edited by boike

Sorry to beat a dead horse but, I can't drive from Jomtien to Pattaya no matter what route, what time of day, and during that short of distance, I come across at least one motorcyclist going the wrong way on my side of the road..........WHAT CRACKDOWN????

Patience bro, that's got to be on the crackdown list too I'm sure.

Seriously, though, I agree with you that among the many annoying things that drivers do again and again in this otherwise lovely country, this one is on top of the list in the crazy, dangerous and scary department, but I guess a lot more so for us Westerners who are totally conditionned to expect no vehicles going the wrong way.

You can see that Thais have somehow absorbed it in their genes by now, because they're never startled when faced with this situation.

While the police also drive the wrong way with bikes and cars i cant imagine the rest of the population deeming it as against the law.

Indeed. To be fair, though, one must admit that police doing illegal things 'because they can' is not specifically Thai. I know you didn't say that, but I also know that on a subject like this, the Thai Bashing Brigade on TV immediately brandishes their 2 favourite parrot-like refrains : 'TIT' and 'Amazing Thailand' (they already appear on numerous posts in this thread).

Edited by Yann55

Traffic Police: The 5 common violations and No texting while driving measures goes well on first day

BANGKOK, 5 August 2014 (NNT)- Traffic police today reported smoother traffic flow at most intersections in the capital as thousands of police were deployed to implement strict measures concerning five common violations. Police are particularly enforcing the law against texting while driving.

Ninety Bangkok intersections which are normally congested with vehicles defying traffic laws, are being closely monitored. Police have launched the campaign against major violations of traffic laws focusing on taking legal action against drivers who cut across lanes especially at merging points. These drivers will receive the immediate attention of the law enforcers.

Traffic police commander Pol Maj-Gen Jirasan Kaeosang-ek said traffic flow this morning was smooth. From this D Day, the ‘no texting while driving’ order will be the focus of police action during the campaign. Drivers at fault are those who take a phone call, message or even browse the internet. He said the police would assess the result of this morning’s campaign this afternoon for improved supervision over coming days. Drivers who use a mobile phone to call, or text will receive a penalty ranging from 400 baht to 1,000 baht.

[nnt]2014-08-05[/nnt]

Only 364 days to go. IF they were out there 365, a few people might get the message and change their habits. One day, one week, forget it. Waste of time.

I don't see how this new law could be enforced. You can't see through these black tinted windows

The black tinted windows make crossing the road riding a motorcycle, bicycle etc a far more risky proposition than it should be. You have no direct clue as to whether a driver has even seen you.
I used to be a motorcycle dispatch rider in London. The only way to survive there was to drive defensively. Generally I would never assume I had been seen unless I had eye contact with the driver. With blacked out windows that vital link is simply not available to you. This makes crossing walking cycling motor cycling or driving a car far more dangerous. i have been told that at night it is extremely difficult for the driver to see out of the tinted windows thus the risk of an accident is probably a least doubled..

As for motorcyclist using the phone whilst driving it is endemic. But lets face reality. In places where efforts are made to make people wear crash helmets people still don't do it despite the stops and fines. In the UK you would end up losing your license if you kept repeating the offense..

But you see, most dont have licences to lose in the first place! And they still drive/ride!

I was literally almost smashed yesterday by a baht bus. I caught back up and sped past him, and to my surprise he was driving while watching his Shrek of a wife do something on her phone!  Totally not paying attention when he ran me off the road or still after I caught back up and passed him. Hopefully he ended up in a ditch somewhere.

The use of smart phones while doing everything is a global issue, this I know, but it's on another level here. Then again, I guess that's what simple minds do, tune out. It's easier to look at your phone than it is to deal with life or pay attention to reality.

• Like 1

But you see, most dont have licences to lose in the first place! And they still drive/ride!

Exactly!

Why bother with all these fines when people don't even have to have a license? If you're caught, it's just another small fine!

Oh well. This place is third world for a reason. Silly to expect any rule of law in a country full of uneducated peasants.

• Like 1