NCPO concerned about issuing license for foreign teachers

webfact

I think it's cool if they finally find out what's really going on. It doesn't say foreign teachers from the States, UK, etc...almost everybody who's teaching here longer knows that some Asian countries' universities sell their degrees.

Or they just buy it on the streets. Just wondering how high the percentage of Asian teachers with questionable degrees is, who're holding a Thai teacher's license. Nothing against those who've got one from their country.

Those are usually great teachers and good guys. Just my opinion. Might be a step forwards. -facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Complete madness! A work permit is dependent on qualifications, and 20 hours a week in the same job.

Figure this; A Phd; ie Doctor, teaching Master's degrees at 3 universities for 4 hours a week each  is ineligible for a W/P.

Meanwhile, marrying a lady? from pattaya let's u in.

Please, give me some intelligent replies.

Retired builders, gangsters, and those who have inherited, seem to feel free to criticize people who actually do things beneficial here.

What are your contributions to Thai society? 

• Like 1

Seems like a good idea the can also compare who has a license and who has a work permit. Thank you NCPO.

You cant get a work permit without a license, provisional or otherwise. don't you know that !

And if you can, then that is the fault of the Thai corrupt system and nothing to do with the foreign teacher.

How the hell can a teacher be a threat to national security unless of course. if I they stupidly educate students about issues within Thailand and encourage free thinking and critical thinking.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh .................... I get it now.  Damn foreigners. clap2.gif  blink.png   w00t.gif   bah.gif

This is the thing...maybe they are waking up to the fact we don't ONLY teach the english language - many of us teach other subjects and also skills that most Thai teachers cannot / will not teach. I think the next generation of Thai kids will be much more clued up than the previous generation...they have much greater exposure to the world around them and also much better english skills than 20 years ago. There's still a long way to go though. 

I consider myself a threat to National Security; and not just in Thailand
1. Generally speaking in Thailand I drive on the left side of the road. This a deliberate act of confusion
2. I stop at red traffic lights, which causes national confusion at my rear
3. I know where the turn indicator is and use it. If I indicate to turn left I do not then turn right
4. When I smile it means I like something; not for heaven's sake don't ask me about that or please leave now
5. I have been known to draw up a syllabus and even a lesson plan
6. Worst of all I can speak Thai; even worse I can write and read it, so I know what all those endless documents actuall say
Never mind. Coming to Thailand soon Driverless Cars followed by Teacherless Classrooms. Oops have those already.
Thailand Land of Lemmings leads the world, again; but where?
  • Like 1

It's typical of the military mentality that views the state as a fortress and foreigners as invaders.  Hence, driving the Cambodian workers out without a thought of what the loss of that labor would mean to Thai companies and sending the Burman refugees back into the clutches of their military dictatorship.  A demonstration of the juntas ignorance of the economy they are now running and promised to "reform" from top to bottom.  They want to turn Thailand into a barracks.

"considerations of national security." - this is the most important phrase.

• Like 1

....national security.....???

..and as for international image....

...how about investigating the 10's of thousands of Thai wife scams perpetrated against unsuspecting foreigners....

...and giving foreigners more basic human rights.....

It's typical of the military mentality that views the state as a fortress and foreigners as invaders.  Hence, driving the Cambodian workers out without a thought of what the loss of that labor would mean to Thai companies and sending the Burman refugees back into the clutches of their military dictatorship.  A demonstration of the juntas ignorance of the economy they are now running and promised to "reform" from top to bottom.  They want to turn Thailand into a barracks.

"considerations of national security." - this is the most important phrase.

You are absolutely right.  Miilitaries fight wars not run countries.  I don't think you have to be the brightest spark in the box to see where Thailand is heading.

The overall problem is that the people that are working illegally as teachers are not getting a TL or a provisional license.   They are off the radar.   Some are on a retirement visa, some are married to a Thai and on an O visa, some are on an Ed visa.   I know one who is simply on an extended overstay -- quite extended, I might add.  

Hi Scott. Your entry seems to intimate that all teachers need a TL to teach legally? I have been teaching here for seven years now, being properly qualified but NOT working in a government school. I have also had a WP for seven years. I don't presume to know everything about the regulations but I was led to believe that the crux of the issue regarding TLs is that one is able to work in a Government school? Is this not the case?

Thanks and regards,

Martin

The overall problem is that the people that are working illegally as teachers are not getting a TL or a provisional license.   They are off the radar.   Some are on a retirement visa, some are married to a Thai and on an O visa, some are on an Ed visa.   I know one who is simply on an extended overstay -- quite extended, I might add.  

Hi Scott. Your entry seems to intimate that all teachers need a TL to teach legally? I have been teaching here for seven years now, being properly qualified but NOT working in a government school. I have also had a WP for seven years. I don't presume to know everything about the regulations but I was led to believe that the crux of the issue regarding TLs is that one is able to work in a Government school? Is this not the case?

Thanks and regards,

Martin

What type of school do you work in?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is an interesting article somewhere, which I cannot now find, that argues, basically ,that the military are fighting the same war, against whom I do not know, on the same principles they used to defeat the Thai Communist Party decades ago!!!!!Bliss

Thanks and regards,

Martin

Actually it is not just government schools.  The TL requirement is for schools that fall into the category of basic education k1-m6 and are governed by OBEC (the office of basic education).  Teachers that work at institutions of higher learning, technology schools and language centers are not governed by OBEC and are not required to have a TL.  To add even more confusion, teachers at these schools are also not required to have a degree to apply for and receive both non b and a work permit.  

Edited by ThaiRich

"...the NCPO cautioned the TCT over the granting of licenses to foreign teachers over considerations of national security...." ---

..because ..? 

Maybe the NCPO could explain why or perhaps should also warn the TOT about the risk to national security from foreign tourists as well.

Or is it that the NCPO is paranoid? Basically any foreigner - migrant laborer/tourist/teacher/businessman, - will be a risk to national security according to the NCPO. 

There is an interesting article somewhere, which I cannot now find, that argues, basically ,that the military are fighting the same war, against whom I do not know, on the same principles they used to defeat the Thai Communist Party decades ago!!!!!Bliss

It's a war against Truth. And free speech and logic is the enemy.

Before everybody gets all paranoid and thinks, "Wow- they are discriminating against us white folk (local referred to as Farlangs) again!

Look at the quote. What I see is this:

"it is expected that more foreigners will work as teachers in Thailand after the commencement of the AEC next year"

That suggests the teachers that will be coming to teach here post 2015- may be from AEC countries.

Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.

So...Whitey is off the hook- and most likely out of a job too! Especially if Whitey got no BA degree and TEFL

My math skills tell me. More interest to learn English and keep up with neighboring AEC countries=more demand for teachers. Relaxed restriction on crossing the borders of the AEC = more people from AEC countries coming to LOS to work.

Throw in a dash of law enforcement- and 50 to 70% of teacher him Whitey- gonna be out of a Job.

Not to worry! The people in archipelago of 7000 plus Islands can then declar de beag Bictory and have so much ban when they come to Thailand for to become de English dtea! Chers.

If this means more properly qualified teachers in place, and the dross Tefl pretenders being evicted then this is a good thing. Unfortunately there are a good proportion of ENGLISH speaking retirees and long term married guys who will be affected in the clear out, and that will be a shame. Thailand has got to learn how best to gainfully employ this group whose life experience can only add value to the system. For example tag them as 'English Conversationalists' and make it legal for them to be able to contribute to the education system at all levels. Get rid of the Tefl dross as the kids cannot understand what the hell they are on about half of the time.

If this means more properly qualified teachers in place, and the dross Tefl pretenders being evicted then this is a good thing. Unfortunately there are a good proportion of ENGLISH speaking retirees and long term married guys who will be affected in the clear out, and that will be a shame. Thailand has got to learn how best to gainfully employ this group whose life experience can only add value to the system. For example tag them as 'English Conversationalists' and make it legal for them to be able to contribute to the education system at all levels. Get rid of the Tefl dross as the kids cannot understand what the hell they are on about half of the time.

ROFLMAO  So, lets get rid of the TEFL teachers in hopes of getting more qualified teachers and if the doesn't work we'll just hire a bunch of retirees?  LOL

Whilst the Dictatorship are perfectly entitled (and sensible) to express the wish that only suitable people are licensed to teach, is this initiative likely to achieve that?

iancx, have you been involved in the teaching 'industry' here?  I think you might find that many of the 'dross teflers' are actually doing exactly what their employer is instructing, with the wrong materials, in an education system that is really just 'going through the motions' AT BEST!

Nothing is going to improve the AWFUL education system here until the whole educational culture changes. And that is not going to be changed by any sort of licensing.

• Like 1

i knew 2 teachers also, any more for anymore

"NCPO cautioned the TCT over the granting of licenses to foreign teachers over considerations of national security."

What allot of Kee Kwai.

As we all know, 007 used to often hide his identity behind the cloak of being a NES teacher in foreign countries!

Secrets in Thailand! clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.giflaugh.pngfacepalm.gif

So apparently... the TCT is out the window?

I would love to hear someone's interpretation on this.

Actually no,  if anything they just got more powerful.  The NCPO did not forbid the TCT to issuer license for foreign teachers, just warned them.  In response the TCT has decided to set up a data base to monitor teachers.  I think something like those monitoring ankle bracelets.  LOL

LOL

They are acting like the yellow elite,trying to keep dpwn the majority, exactly as i thought this junta would do.

However

A national data base, is very useful,as the new laws on overstay,visa hopping etc and this will help to catch the criminals.Also teachers work with kids, this should be tightened up very much.

Bernard, you wouldn't be letting your personal "funtime" choices cloud your vision would you??

Whilst the Dictatorship are perfectly entitled (and sensible) to express the wish that only suitable people are licensed to teach, is this initiative likely to achieve that?

iancx, have you been involved in the teaching 'industry' here?  I think you might find that many of the 'dross teflers' are actually doing exactly what their employer is instructing, with the wrong materials, in an education system that is really just 'going through the motions' AT BEST!

Nothing is going to improve the AWFUL education system here until the whole educational culture changes. And that is not going to be changed by any sort of licensing.  

If you are Tefl, then sorry to burst your bubble I do know a considerably more about teaching than you. Some of your points are valid, but if the education system here is to right itself (and it will take a generation) the Tefl culture has got to change radically.

In support of my original post, I have only had 2 attacks as opposed to dozens if I had said the same a year ago. Where are they all..... Nuff said!

The Teachers' Council of Thailand (TCT) committee chairman Paitoon Sinlarat revealed that the NCPO cautioned the TCT over the granting of licenses to foreign teachers over considerations of national security.

Can some one without being cynical, explain or translate what this actually says?

Does it mean:

Too many licenses have been issued to foreigners?

Too few

To the wrong people?

are they warning the TCT about?

Foreign teachers a national security threat? Please.

Ya gotta keep a close eye on those nasty foreign teachers.  They are known for teaching such subversive things such as "independent rational thinking", and "real democracy", and "freedom of speech", and "asking questions to find out why".  Can't afford to have those dangerous things taught in Thailand, now, can we?

If you are teaching that, you are not teaching English.

Why doesn't the NCPO just state: Foreigners are not allowed to teach legally in Thailand?

Well, they do have serious issues. Folks who shouldn't be teaching, teach. Be that because of fake degrees or substandard English.

Be that a house which collapses or some unsuitable teacher: greed seems to be the common roots of such issues.