Renewing a retirement visa with 65000 baht income method - what is the latest?

You need to show your embassy 65,000 going into an account somewhere not in Thailand. The Embassy gives you a letter for Immigration, you need a copy of a bank statement showing the funds being deposited, from whoever from one account to another works with me....

Do not give the original copy of the letter to a consulate to get your visa all they need is a copy of the bank statement showing the funds going in...

May I suggest after 40 years coming here and 5 years living here that you choose another destination.

From  a Third World Man

Try reading the OP's post first before posting an incorrect and irrelevant reply.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US Embassy letter is a sworn affidavit, which is a serious piece of legalese that can get you in serious trouble in USA if you make false report. The Thai official position on the time of validity was posted here in TV (search for it), it's six months from date of issue. I get my letter from US consulate visits; they come to Phuket (and other places) about 3x per year, so I get it several months before my renewal.

What may I ask has the US Embassy got to do with the British Embassy? They do their own thing.

• Like 2

I have just renewed mine using this method. I am Aust and  all l needed was to sign a Statuary Declaration at the Australian Embassy, stating my income. I did not need to show any proof.However, a Stat Dec is a legal and binding document. It cost me 590 Bt. Whether the same applies for UK residents,you would need to check.

I just sent you a PM asking about Stat Dec wording

I see most if not all the comments on here refer to the extension of an existing retirement visa. I am hoping to begin my retirement visa on my return here in October. As I'm not yet at pension age, I'm assuming that statements confirming my rental income would be accepted by the embassy?

Would I be better going there, to the embassy in BKK, with this proof and receiving the letter for immigration?

Thanks very much for the help folks

I have just renewed mine using this method. I am Aust and  all l needed was to sign a Statuary Declaration at the Australian Embassy, stating my income. I did not need to show any proof.However, a Stat Dec is a legal and binding document. It cost me 590 Bt. Whether the same applies for UK residents,you would need to check.

So this form cost you 590 bht from your Australian Embassy, while the form we are required to obtain from the Brittish Embassy cost 2520 bht, that sounds about right.
  • Like 2

crazykopite, on 06 Aug 2014 - 09:04, said:

I can only state what happens if you are from the UK , to get an extension of stay by the 65,000 baht per month route you need to go to the British Embassy Bangkok internet site and download the form regarding confirmation of income , fill in all the details and supply copies of recent pension / other incomes to support your claim . Normally you would recieve letters in May of each year from the UK regarding pension increases I always take photocopies and sign them . You also need to include the amount of money specified it is in the region of 2,500 baht this now needs to be in the form of a postal order they no longer accept cheques. Send your completed forms along with postal order by EMS no need to send your passport but I always include a copy of the page with my picture on it they say you will get it back within 10 working days , when I have done it I have normally had it back in less than 5days and I live more than 800kms from Bangkok the letter you will recieve will give a breakdown of your pension in £s and not baht it is up to immigration to work out how much it is in baht !!

You don't have to attend the Embassy anymore. It can all be completed by post.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/301359/Publication._Pension_2014._Master.pdf

You are perfectly right I have been doing this for the past 6 years.

Thai immigration ONLY wants to see a paper from the Embassy

I don't know if this is of any help. I am living here on a retirement visa. All I showed was a certified copy of my bank account statement showing the pension payments going into my account. I took it back 3 months just to show it was a regular payment. As I have only internet banking I could not produce original statements so I got my UK Bank to print off the statements and to certify the copies. This cost me absolutely nothing and was perfectly acceptable to the Thai authorities.

jinners, on 06 Aug 2014 - 10:45, said:

I see most if not all the comments on here refer to the extension of an existing retirement visa. I am hoping to begin my retirement visa on my return here in October. As I'm not yet at pension age, I'm assuming that statements confirming my rental income would be accepted by the embassy?

Would I be better going there, to the embassy in BKK, with this proof and receiving the letter for immigration?

As long as you can provide statements confirming an income of 65,000bt a month, it's immaterial where the income comes from. Pension/Investments/Rental.

You can go in person, or get it completed by post.

• Like 1

You can get the letter from the embassy with any income.

You can do it by mail if you want to.

If you have a Teachers TPA Pension + State Pension + what ever other P60s you should have copies of those for the year ended April 6 2014
Copy them, with a passport page. State your address. They are not interested only Thai Immigration interested in that, but good to have in the letter
I send mine to the Chiang Mai Consulate.
I send them by EMS with a Money Order +return EMS postage
Comes back in 2 days
Immigration here requires letter from embassy not older than 6 months
Easy

Simple if your retirement income equals 65,000.00 THB per month You letterhead letter from supplier of pension certified by your embassy. To get retirement visa that way. If you are truly confused go to Siam Legal and for a fee they will help you out fee is between 15,000 and 45,000 baht But you drop off proof they do leg work 2 days later you pickup PP with Visa down side you get caught without passport possible blacklist and deport.

jinners, on 06 Aug 2014 - 10:45, said:

As long as you can provide statements confirming an income of 65,000bt a month, it's immaterial where the income comes from. Pension/Investments/Rental.

You can go in person, or get it completed by post.

Thanks Faz, statements coming from rental agency on their letterhead going to work?

You can get the letter from the embassy with any income.

You can do it by mail if you want to.

Understood, thanks. But is that for a first time or extension/renewal? Or either or?

I don't know if this is of any help. I am living here on a retirement visa. All I showed was a certified copy of my bank account statement showing the pension payments going into my account. I took it back 3 months just to show it was a regular payment. As I have only internet banking I could not produce original statements so I got my UK Bank to print off the statements and to certify the copies. This cost me absolutely nothing and was perfectly acceptable to the Thai authorities.

So can you confirm, did the Thai immigration accept the certified letter from your UK bank, without the need to obtain a letter from the British Embassy, and if so which immigration office?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So, just to clarify. I come here on a 30 days tourist visa in October with my statements from agency's showing rental income. Send those in to the BE along with correct funds. They then send me a letter saying all looks good on headed paper. I take that to immigration, and I'm on a retiree visa. That it?

None of this is making any sense
If you are here, in Thailand, on a Non-O Visa, presumably provided by a consulate embassy outside Thailand,
with a right to remain on the basis of retirement stamp with an expire/renewal date
get the paperwork together,go get the extension renewed.
If of course you have left Thailand without a Re-Entry Permit you will need to start again!
I can't believe something so simple is being made so complicated!!
  • Like 1

None of this is making any sense
If you are here, in Thailand, on a Non-O Visa, presumably provided by a consulate embassy outside Thailand,
with a right to remain on the basis of retirement stamp with an expire/renewal date
get the paperwork together,go get the extension renewed.
If of course you have left Thailand without a Re-Entry Permit you will need to start again!
I can't believe something so simple is being made so complicated!!

Well it doesn't help, you coming in not having read the question. Mine at least. I am asking about doing this for a retirement visa for the first time. Not a renewal. Not an extension. First time.

The Embassy will want to see the evidence of your pensions and address in Thailand and if all is well will prepare a letter to Immigration just outlining the facts that you are British, confirm your address and details of your pensions Annual & Monthly, cost is around 2,500 THB. and usually arrange AM and  pick up PM.

Immigration accept the BE letter tho it pays to carry copies of the evidence in case they want to see it.

For your first time, you need to get a non-O 90 day visa from outside Thailand--I used Penang. However, to get the non-O in Penang, you need the income letter from your embassy.The US Embassy notarizes the letter while you wait for B1500. Thai immigration accepts the letter and the non-O with the appropriate immigration form, your passport, and B1900 for a one year extension.

My foreign wife piggy-backs on my retiree extension for another B1900, her passport, a translated certified copy of our marriage document--which was also needed in Penang for her to receive the non-O--and the appropriate immigration form. The embassy of the country in which you were married has to certify the marriage document.

Edited by smotherb

Thanks everybody. I have seen the details about the letter on the UK embassy website and it seems clear enough. They don't seem to want proof of address and I think I can provide P60s for my pensions plus a letter from the UK pensions office for this year. I will check with the embassy directly once I have the documents.

Don't your teachers & AVC pension providers also issue you with similar letters each year stating current gross rates? Letters issued by pension providers showing current rates are IMHO better than P60's which may, in the main, be based on last year's rates.

And definitely better than bank statements which, of course, only show net amounts going into your account after the jolly old taxman at HMRC has taken his share.sad.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

The US Embassy letter is a sworn affidavit, which is a serious piece of legalese that can get you in serious trouble in USA if you make false report. The Thai official position on the time of validity was posted here in TV (search for it), it's six months from date of issue. I get my letter from US consulate visits; they come to Phuket (and other places) about 3x per year, so I get it several months before my renewal.

How much does it cost for the US consulate, to supply you with a sworn affidavit, regarding your income?

The Embassy will want to see the evidence of your pensions and address in Thailand and if all is well will prepare a letter to Immigration just outlining the facts that you are British, confirm your address and details of your pensions Annual & Monthly, cost is around 2,500 THB. and usually arrange AM and  pick up PM.

Immigration accept the BE letter tho it pays to carry copies of the evidence in case they want to see it.

For your first time, you need to get a non-O 90 day visa from outside Thailand--I used Penang. However, to get the non-O in Penang, you need the income letter from your embassy.The US Embassy notarizes the letter while you wait for B1500. Thai immigration accepts the letter and the non-O with the appropriate immigration form, your passport, and B1900 for a one year extension.

My foreign wife piggy-backs on my retiree extension for another B1900, her passport, a translated certified copy of our marriage document--which was also needed in Penang for her to receive the non-O--and the appropriate immigration form. The embassy of the country in which you were married has to certify the marriage document.

I did my retirement this past 7 July 2014.  I came in to Swampy on a 30 day exempt and after getting checked into a hotel in BKK, went to the U.S. embassy to obtain my proof of income letter. Was in an out within an hour.  Upon arrival in Pattaya, I set off for Jomtien Immigration with a proof of income letter, signed condo lease, 4 passport pics and a whole lotta patience.  Went to the copy shop next to the IO and got all my copies made, two of each, embassy letter, condo lease and PP pages. Signed them all and walked into the IO.  Showed my packet to the IO officer, the one on the left as you walk in and told him I wanted to apply for retirement.  He looked all the documents over and handed me an application for a 90 day visa as well as an application for a year extension and grunted that I fill them all out.

I obliged and returned them to him after about 15 mins and he gave me a numbered ticket to have a seat.  30 mins later my number was called and I handed all documents to another IO.  She processed the 90 visa first and asked for 1900 baht.  Next she processed the year extension based on retirement and asked for another 1900 baht.  She gave me a red card with a number and told me to come back in the afternoon after 2pm.  When I returned at 2pm, I walked straight to the pick-up desk on the left side in the back and handed the red card to the IO and she gave me my passport containing the 90 day visa that was stamped USED and on the opposing page was my extension "retirement" stamp with an expiration of 15 Oct 2015.

At that point, I had already filled out an application for multiple re-entries and took it the front desk for another queue ticket.  When my number was called I paid 3800 baht to the IO and was told to wait for my number to show up again below the sign the reads Passport Pickup.  I walked out with 15 months of legal stay in the kingdom.  I did this on 30 day exempt upon arrival. 

Edited by pagover
  • Like 2

How much does it cost for the US consulate, to supply you with a sworn affidavit, regarding your income?

It costs $50 or 1550 baht. You can also get them at the consular outreach visits to some cities during the year.

For your first time, you need to get a non-O 90 day visa from outside Thailand--I used Penang. However, to get the non-O in Penang, you need the income letter from your embassy.  The US Embassy notarizes the letter while you wait for B1500. Thai immigration accepts the letter and the non-O with the appropriate immigration form, your passport, and B1900 for a one year extension.

If an American is using the U.S. Consulate in Bangkok, you need to make an online appointment in advance to request the income letter.

You can't just walk in off the street. But yes, once you arrive for the scheduled appointment, their issuing of the income letter usually takes 30 mins or so while you wait. $50 is the fee in U.S. $.

For your first time, you need to get a non-O 90 day visa from outside Thailand--I used Penang. However, to get the non-O in Penang, you need the income letter from your embassy.  The US Embassy notarizes the letter while you wait for B1500. Thai immigration accepts the letter and the non-O with the appropriate immigration form, your passport, and B1900 for a one year extension.

If an American is using the U.S. Consulate in Bangkok, you need to make an online appointment in advance to request the income letter.

You can't just walk in off the street. But yes, once you arrive for the scheduled appointment, their issuing of the income letter usually takes 30 mins or so while you wait. $50 is the fee in U.S. $.

Yes Sir! You are very correct.  I neglected to mention that in my post. Very important point that I blantantly overlooked.  Yes, I did make an online appointment prior to going the to U. S. Embassy.  Good catch.

CARD, I understand Your worries. I have the same worry.  If I was You I wouLd stick to the statements written by" Expattaff1308" and "firefox999uk". 

Don't forget to get Your rentery stamp in passport.

RATHER BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

• Like 1

Expastaff1308 is absolutely right. 65k per month proof of income to British Embassy, they will provide a letter at approx 2500 baht....That's it for income.

1. In Pattaya you can take your income evidence to other Consulates and they will supply the letter which is fully acceptable.
  2. I hold an Irish passport & my partner holds a British passport she provided her's and I provided my proof of income to the Italian Consul in Soi 12, Treppesit Rd,. He (a lawyer) provided the letter next day at a cost of 500baht. Nice man, very helpful.
  3. Immigration happy.
  4. No trip to Bangkok required.
  5. It is advisable to complete a week in advance to allow for holidays or unforeseen mishaps.
  • Like 1

I did my retirement this past 7 July 2014.  I came in to Swampy on a 30 day exempt and after getting checked into a hotel in BKK, went to the U.S. embassy to obtain my proof of income letter. Was in an out within an hour.  Upon arrival in Pattaya, I set off for Jomtien Immigration with a proof of income letter, signed condo lease, 4 passport pics and a whole lotta patience.  Went to the copy shop next to the IO and got all my copies made, two of each, embassy letter, condo lease and PP pages. Signed them all and walked into the IO.  Showed my packet to the IO officer, the one on the left as you walk in and told him I wanted to apply for retirement.  He looked all the documents over and handed me an application for a 90 day visa as well as an application for a year extension and grunted that I fill them all out.

I obliged and returned them to him after about 15 mins and he gave me a numbered ticket to have a seat.  30 mins later my number was called and I handed all documents to another IO.  She processed the 90 visa first and asked for 1900 baht.  Next she processed the year extension based on retirement and asked for another 1900 baht.  She gave me a red card with a number and told me to come back in the afternoon after 2pm.  When I returned at 2pm, I walked straight to the pick-up desk on the left side in the back and handed the red card to the IO and she gave me my passport containing the 90 day visa that was stamped USED and on the opposing page was my extension "retirement" stamp with an expiration of 15 Oct 2015.

At that point, I had already filled out an application for multiple re-entries and took it the front desk for another queue ticket.  When my number was called I paid 3800 baht to the IO and was told to wait for my number to show up again below the sign the reads Passport Pickup.  I walked out with 15 months of legal stay in the kingdom.  I did this on 30 day exempt upon arrival. 

That's interesting! So you converted your 30 day waiver to a non-imm O AND got the retirement extension on the same day, didn't have to wait until you were in the last 45-30 days of the Non Imm O?  This is precisely what I want to do but it has been suggested by some that it's not possible.  Clearly - it is.

What supporting paperwork did you need for the Non O conversion?  Did you need two embassy income letters? One for the Non O and one for the extension?  Or just a letter for the extension?  I ask because I contemplated doing what you did but, if I need to apply for two Embassy letters it would actually cost more than getting the Non Imm O here in Malaysia.  If you only need one embassy letter (or one and a copy) it will likely be cheaper and less hassle for me to convert a 30 day waiver in the same way you did without getting the Non O here first.

Expastaff1308 is absolutely right. 65k per month proof of income to British Embassy, they will provide a letter at approx 2500 baht....That's it for income.

1. In Pattaya you can take your income evidence to other Consulates and they will supply the letter which is fully acceptable.
  2. I hold an Irish passport & my partner holds a British passport she provided her's and I provided my proof of income to the Italian Consul in Soi 12, Treppesit Rd,. He (a lawyer) provided the letter next day at a cost of 500baht. Nice man, very helpful.
  3. Immigration happy.
  4. No trip to Bangkok required.
  5. It is advisable to complete a week in advance to allow for holidays or unforeseen mishaps.

I'm Danish and went to the Consulate:   Denmark/Norway in Pattaya Jumptien with all tte evidence and papers concerning my income. Waited and received document for use at Imigrationoffice Jumptien for my retirementvisa .

That's interesting! So you converted your 30 day waiver to a non-imm O AND got the retirement extension on the same day, didn't have to wait until you were in the last 45-30 days of the Non Imm O?  This is precisely what I want to do but it has been suggested by some that it's not possible.  Clearly - it is.

What supporting paperwork did you need for the Non O conversion?  Did you need two embassy income letters? One for the Non O and one for the extension?  Or just a letter for the extension?  I ask because I contemplated doing what you did but, if I need to apply for two Embassy letters it would actually cost more than getting the Non Imm O here in Malaysia.  If you only need one embassy letter (or one and a copy) it will likely be cheaper and less hassle for me to convert a 30 day waiver in the same way you did without getting the Non O here first.

PoP,

The residental lease is what you need to convert your 90 day over to a retirement extension. (fellow TV members, please correct me if I am wrong) The income letter was only needed for the extension and the IO asked for the original.  I made two copies of everything just to be sure. In hindsight, I probably did not even need an additional income letter for the 90 day visa application...i just went with what the copy folks next door advised...they got an extra 5 baht out of me I suppose. LOL 

I have however, read that you need to do the conversion with at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day waiver...i did mine with 19 remaining...but i had also read somewhere that you needed at least 21 to do a conversion, so I was a little bit concerned. Now, I did make sure I was clean shaven, wore pants and a polo with collar to make a good impression. Good luck to you!

Edited by pagover