Rats on a plane force Air India to ground aircraft

webfact

Rats on a plane force Air India to ground aircraft

NEW DELHI - Air India has been forced to ground one of its planes after crew spotted rats scurrying around the cabin, The Times of India reported Wednesday.

The plane was on its way from New Delhi to Calcutta when staff became aware of the infestation, the paper said.

"Rats on board an aircraft can lead to a catastrophe if they start chewing up electric wires," the paper quoted an unnamed airline official as saying.

"If that happens, pilots will have no control on any system on board leading to a disaster."

No one at the airline was immediately available for comment, but an Air India official speaking on condition of anonymity said rats on planes were a "common phenomenon" worldwide and could "get in anywhere".

"They follow the catering vans into the plane when they smell the food," the official told AFP.

It is not the first time that India’s loss-making carrier has suffered a rodent infestation.

Rats reportedly delayed a domestic flight from Mumbai by almost two hours in February, and in 2009 a flight to Toronto was delayed for 11 hours as staff tried to catch rats.
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Rats-on-a-plane-force-Air-India-to-ground-aircraft-30240363.html

[thenation]2014-08-06[/thenation]

NEW DELHI: An Air India aircraft had to be grounded on Monday evening due to the presence of a large number of unwelcome guests who posed a serious threat to the plane — scores of rats. 

Rats were observed when the Airbus A-321, flying as AI 021, landed at IGI airport from Kolkata. The crew observed many rats running around in the rear half of the aircraft cabin. As soon as all the passengers alighted, the aircraft was taken out of service. Instead of being prepared for the next flight, this bigger version of the A-320 family of planes was taken to a remote bay for fumigation by central warehousing corporation personnel to eliminate all the rats on board. 

Unless they take it apart, I'm guessing that plane may be carrying an unpleasant odour for quite a while....

I don't know anything about this airline but I worked for a carrier for almost two decades and yes, rats can get on aircraft just like they get into your house. We had an incident where the ovens in one galley kept going out. This because a rat had chewed threw the wiring, Most airlines treat their aircraft every month or so for insects but rats are a different story. 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

India....rats....these 2 go together. Filthiest country in the world.

20100629045811785.jpg

hindu-rat-temple.jpg

Incredible photos...had no idea that rats actually do run the country...

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

rats on planes were a "common phenomenon" worldwide and could "get in anywhere".

oh really ? I never had to face rats with all the airlines I have flew with ...... cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> 

I think the airline meant to say:

"Rats on our planes are a "common phenomenon" worldwide and could "get in anywhere"."

It does not surpirze me that the airline is Air India.

I used to do business out of India for 7yrs going there 3-5 times a yr from New Zealand, flew quit a few domestic routs in India and the planes stink, dirty and very seldom did I eat anything they served. The Indian passengers literally stunk, sweaty smelling very bad.

No No, They got it wrong.
Roland Rat, the TVF member was flying with Air India and he was mistaken by the air crew.
Mr Rat, please stay away from the airplanes.

I doubt it was Roland.

He always flys first class and is well know. on international circuits.

India....rats....these 2 go together. Filthiest country in the world.

20100629045811785.jpg

hindu-rat-temple.jpg

Incredible photos...had no idea that rats actually do run the country...

The pictures are related to Karni Mata worship, and probably from the Deshnoke temple:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata_Temple

As for the rats on the plane, I'd be more worried if they started jumping off while in mid-flight...

• Like 1