Chlamydia Test

yuki89

Been wanted to get tested for Chlamydia, as I am not sure where to get tested and which method is better.

Bumrungrad Hospital C. trachomatis and N. gonorrhea by NATT (Random Urine) 2,730 Baht, turnaround time 4 days.

Thai Red Cross Anonymous Clinic Culture for Chlamydia trachomatis 600 Baht, turnaround time 3 weeks.

Anyone have idea on which test is better and more recommended?

There are many small clinics scattered about. They all have a sign which shows a green + against a white or cream background. The price is reasonable.

Just ask in the nearest pharmacy and they'll give you directions to the the nearest clinic.

They might be the same test but one specimen is taken by internal swab and the other by urine. Some people, if they had classical symptoms, would simply buy 1g of relevant medicine (Azithromycin) from a pharmacy and self medicate.

You'll need to get a HIV test, at a later date, of course.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

Are you male? (If so, I don't understand why you need a test)

The chances of not noticing the symptoms Clamydia (or Gonnorhea) in your urethra are slim (excuse the pun). Females, on the other hand, often don't notice their symptoms (due to their anatomy) and a test is wise.

Typically in Thailand, if you have discharge a gram stain test would be done just to see if its NGU or not. If not, they will treat you for both Clamydia and Gonnorhea together rather than wasting time and money on the test. Not to mention, both are often transmitted together anyway.

Are they any others hospital except Bumrungrat have NAAT test? The price they give is quite expensive tho.....

Possible that other large hospitals have it. But it will be expensive anywhere, this is an expensive and labor intensive test.

I'm going for one tomorow.... I'm going to give the Suk 11 Clinic a try.... can anyone advise where exactly it is???

About 100 meters down Suk. 11 from Sukhumvit, there is a subsoi to the LEFT. Follow that subsoi and the clinic is past several restaurants on the left.. The soi is "U" shaped and returns to soi 11.

The staff there are very offhand and not particularly professional but I was successfully treated there years ago for genital lice and a friend recently for Gonorrhea. They charged him B1500 for a antibiotic shot.

• Like 1

The quality of care (and soemtimes even the ethics/honesty) of stand alone private "STD" clinics catering to farang is often doubtful. Personally I would not advise it, especiall when top notch care is available at lower cost at the Red Cross.

• Like 2

I'm going for one tomorow.... I'm going to give the Suk 11 Clinic a try.... can anyone advise where exactly it is???

About 100 meters down Suk. 11 from Sukhumvit, there is a subsoi to the LEFT. Follow that subsoi and the clinic is past several restaurants on the left.. The soi is "U" shaped and returns to soi 11.

The staff there are very offhand and not particularly professional but I was successfully treated there years ago for genital lice and a friend recently for Gonorrhea. They charged him B1500 for a antibiotic shot.

Thanks for the info... and Thanks to Cheryl to...

I did find the clinic and yes your're exactly right, the staff are very offhand and so is the doctor... After discussions with the Doctor, an examination and what seemed like a quick urine test (sorry to get into detail here), he deemed the results to be a yeast infection! Although I'm wary of his findings the medication seems to be working!...

I am thinking of dropping into the Thai Red Cross just to get a second opinion and take make sure 100%!

Thanks again for the help..

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI for people who want to take the test,

I went to Bumrungrad Hospital and take the test weeks ago and it total cost around 3800 Baht and they will ask you how will you like to get the result either by email or go to the hospital to pick it up. And the result will be available after four days.

"I went to Bumrungrad Hospital and take the test weeks ago and it total cost around 3800 Baht"

Troll-season?

I assume, for about 300 Baht you get the medication you need (simple and effective)

if it does not work you could make a test afterwards

Azithromycin 1 g orally in a single dose

OR

Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice a day for 7 days

microbial cure rates of 97% and 98%

http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/chlamydial-infections.htm

"BangPaInn"

Urine test is not the (best)way to test chlamydia! If test is negative, you still could be positive!

"second oppinion" : if you are symptom free (after taking medicine) you would need to wait about 4 weeks,to make a test

"yeast infection" : did they really test you "positive" or is it just guessing?

Edited by dieter1