Thai editorial: How do we rein in rogue cops?

webfact

EDITORIAL
How do we rein in rogue cops?

The Nation

The public uproar over policemen who opened fire on an innocent student must be followed by measures to prevent a recurrence

BANGKOK: -- The police are under the spotlight again after three Bangkok anti-narcotics officers fired gunshots at a car being driven by a university student, mistaking it for their target in a drugs bust.

The plainclothes policemen failed to identify themselves as they surrounded the student's car with their guns drawn. She understandably panicked and drove on, which resulted in the police opening fire. Luckily, the student - a Chulalongkorn University law major - emerged unscathed from the incident on Saturday night.

The ensuing public uproar drew a swift response from senior commanders of the Royal Thai Police. They transferred the three officers involved, all based at Bang Chan Police Station, to desk jobs at different Bangkok precincts and relieved them of their handguns. An investigation is underway and the trio could face disciplinary and court action.

A new car of the same model and colour as the one damaged in the botched drug bust was yesterday handed over to the student by deputy national police chief General Pongsapat Pongcharoen. Pongsapat earlier met the student at her home and apologised to her and her family. He gave an assurance that the force would "re-emphasise" to officers the regulations covering raids and arrests, and underscore the rule against pulling over vehicles in public areas or amid traffic.

The incident has attracted much criticism and spurred fear that something similar could befall any innocent motorist. Sunthorn Payak, vice president of the Lawyers Council of Thailand, commented that the three policemen's action could be regarded as attempted murder. Their reckless behaviour threatened life and property and violated the victim's rights, he said. Senior public prosecutor Nanthasak Poonsuk said the officers had behaved in a "lousy way" and shown a lack of professionalism by opening fire without first being sure that the person in the car was actually their suspect.

In fact, policemen also risk their lives when confronting drug suspects in public areas and amid traffic. An incident a few years ago saw two police officers shot dead while attempting to arrest a suspected drug dealer in his car at a red light. Since drug dealing carries harsh penalties - including the death penalty in serious cases - suspects will often opt to use force to increase their chances of escaping arrest. Inevitably, this means that innocent people who happen to be at the scene of an arrest are put in harm's way. In 2003 a young child was shot dead after police fired at a car driven by the father, a suspected dealer.

The challenge is to strike a balance between protecting the lives of arresting officers and ensuring the safety of innocent bystanders. As such, it is better to take precautions rather than risks that put passers-by in danger. It's better to allow a suspect to escape rather than take action that could put an innocent person in the line of fire.

Arresting officers must take every possible precaution in identifying their targets before using force in a bid to detain suspects - especially those inside vehicles. If they lose sight during a chase, they cannot be completely sure they are following the suspect. At any given time there will likely be vehicles of similar model and colour on the road.

Offering an apology and buying the student a new car was a good first step. But if the police bosses want to avoid recurrences of this incident, they need to lay down the law to their subordinates and ensure they stick rigorously to the existing rules on tackling criminal suspects in public places. Policemen tasked with catching potentially violent criminals should also be given regular training on gathering intelligence, tracking suspects and suspicious vehicles, and the use of firearms in public places. If police action leads to the loss of innocent lives, no amount of apologies and compensation will remedy the tragedy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/How-do-we-rein-in-rogue-cops-30240377.html

[thenation]2014-08-07[/thenation]

I ask in another thread if they were uniformed or not.....it appears they were undercover.

The headline in this thread is rather inaccurate!

It was also reported that 4 officers were supposedly present but only three identified which raises serious questions.

I know the BIB are easily confused but can they not sort out 3 or 4 ?

• Like 1

Drug dealers must be eliminated from Thai society in what ever way possible. They don't love the country hence cannot be called Thai people.

in what ever way possible

So, does that mean that rogue cops killing a uni student if they think they are eliminating a drug dealer is OK with you? Since you believe in 'what ever way possible', how about killing all the people in Thailand and then you would be sure to eliminate the drug dealers. I still trying to figure out what your post has to do with the OP about reining in rogue cops.

• Like 2

Drug dealers must be eliminated from Thai society in what ever way possible. They don't love the country hence cannot be called Thai people.

Mr. T's war on drugs resulted in over 2,000 being killed but that of course was traffickers and dealers killing each other to prevent being informed on.

Absolutely nothing was achieved,  oh sorry wait I'm wrong as at one point the Governor of Kalasin proudly announced his province was now ' drug free '.

Yes right giggle.gif  

• Like 1

Rogue cops anywhere are a problem, which in a properly inducted, selected environment are few and far between, you start at selection, high educational standards, results in a low turnout of idiots, the amount of incidences with police in Thailand points to a low IQ  with very poor selection methods, however once again the wages paid would only attract a certain type of candidate.  coffee1.gif   

"In 2003 a young child was shot dead after police fired at a car driven by the father, a suspected dealer." This was also at Bang Chan if my memory serves me right.

Well, there we are then. All those decrying Taksin's summary execution of two thousand five hundred 'suspected dealers' feel better now?

Rogue cops anywhere are a problem, which in a properly inducted, selected environment are few and far between, you start at selection, high educational standards, results in a low turnout of idiots, the amount of incidences with police in Thailand points to a low IQ  with very poor selection methods, however once again the wages paid would only attract a certain type of candidate.  coffee1.gif   

Um, I believe the cessation of merely transferring these morons to desk jobs and instead, punishing them with jail terms would be more effective and will never happen.

in what ever way possible

So, does that mean that rogue cops killing a uni student if they think they are eliminating a drug dealer is OK with you? Since you believe in 'what ever way possible', how about killing all the people in Thailand and then you would be sure to eliminate the drug dealers. I still trying to figure out what your post has to do with the OP about reining in rogue cops.

Add to that:

as most of the Thai pimps, who destroy the lives of young thai girls, and in many cases, also boys, 

does that make them any less Thai?

really, I want to throw up every time someone says the Thai criminal, isn't "Thai?

• Like 1

How do we rein in rogue cops?

I know:

1. adhere to physical and psychological aptitude tests when recruiting new police officers - that means the recruits have to actually pass these tests and payment of xxxbaht does not qualify them. 

2. mandatory ongoing training on ethics and conduct throughout a cop's career - make sure the officers actually understand and agree with the reasons behind the training.

3. establish a separate, independent agency to investigate cops wrongdoings - it's not that we don't trust police investigating police...hrm, actually it is.

4. real punishment is necessary, loss of job, pension benefits, jail time - let's face it: the threat of an inactive post for a month makes every tough cop shiver in his boots (by laughing so hard that the whole station quakes!)

Edited by klauskunkel

How about adopting a zero tolerance policy.  One strike and your out, fired and even face criminal charges.  The largest department in the Victoria Police (Aust) is ESD Ethical Standards Department.  You can't even fart without being investigated as to why you felt the need.

• Like 2

I ask in another thread if they were uniformed or not.....it appears they were undercover.

The headline in this thread is rather inaccurate!

The original report stated that the officers were plain-clothed, that is what all the fuss is about and why the girl tried to escape from them.

In an article about police abusing their positions and needing to be reined-in, the headline seems 100% appropriate.

Does a Thai have to sign a form saying he/she loves the country before getting a passport? I'm British but i don't '' love'' my country but i still get a passport. I was coincidentally born British just as a Thai is coincidentally born Thai,''love'' has nothing to do with it. Getting rid of drug dealers is a must, but not ''in whatever way possible'' Thaksin tried that and a lot of innocent people were murdered killed. 

• Like 1

You have to take 99% of Suriya4's comments with a "grain of salt".  I've read nearly all of his comments on various posts and have come to the conclusion that he's a hard core, royal elitist who lives in an alternative universe where Bangkok IS Thailand, and all other areas, and people, are to be used by the the rich in BKK for their own personal whims and desires.

But he's usually good for a laugh.

I do wonder if this news would have been reported as high priority if the girl had not been a LAW student at CHULA.

A NEW CAR - because she could likely sue their ases off and win??

If it has been an Esan girl, studying fashion design at ABAC, would she have received a new car too??

I doubt the latter!

• Like 1

Same thing happened in the U.S. recently. Plain clothes tobacco and alcohol officials surronded a car of university students they thought had bought alcohol with a false I.D. Turns out it was mineral water. Nevertheless they arrested the girls on trumped up charges. After news and the bad press got out, the girls were released and, after suing, settled for several hundred thousand dollars. There has to be a way to  recognize overzealous cops and make sure they get proper training before being released on an unsuspecting public.