If you were to move out of Thailand, where would you go?

I would go to hell...that would be any country in the Middle East...no booze...women covered from head to toe...instant conversion to Islam...all the goat you can eat and sheep you can...bleep!

I drank more booze in Kuwait than you could shake a stick at.

I had my wife & daughter with me, so it was cool. I DID, however, hire a full time driver/bodyguard for my wife so she could go shopping while I was at work.

I actually miss Arabic food. Never ate any goat, but the lamb & chicken were pretty damned good with some moutabal & fresh pita bread!

Oh Yeah, Kuwait & Saudi are the only countries I know of where booze is illegal.

I've been to:

Kuwait

UAE

Qatar

Yemen

Oman

Egypt

Jordan

Iraq

Afghanistan

Bahrain

Never been to Saudi, but I hear it's dry.

All the others, well, they have bars you can belly up to.

and a few have hashish to boot!

Edited by Smurkster

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would like to visit Brazil . I have never been in that part of the world before. And explore the beautiful nature there and the brazilian food and hospitality . The whole atmosphere really. If I like it , I might move there for good.

prepare to get robbed......it's the national sport.

my favorite part about Brazil is the fact that everyone has just gotten their end away and its noticeable by the way they act!

I'm staying and watching the entire economic melt down of Thailand, when the Thai's find out that they just can not do without

the Visa Dodgers, who pour so much wealth into the country, but cant afford to invest a little of it & stay here......shouldn't be long now.....any day

Can we start another Thread--- What will Thai Visa be like when they have gone---- Prediction 1/ First stage --send lots of mail telling everyone how great it is back in the west & how very happy they are that they have gone back, with lots more predictions of how Thailand will completely sink now that they are no longer here to hold it afloat--yes its just wonderful walking around looking at the 44 inch bottoms on the women, & being invisible to the others ---Second Stage Return--its time to change my name on Thai Visa..........................................................coffee1.gif

** Oh yes where would I relocate to---Pitcairn islands... I was there in the 60s dropping some boffins off who had to monitor the French Nuk tests....its 45 Klm of nothingness ,67 people- its where the Bounty crew ended up....everyone is name Fletcher & they have all interbred........& guess who I want to take with me, there will be free Visa's for everyone....that should entice them.

My rant for the day is now officially over....

They will absolutely not notice any of this illusion of yours. Tourism in Thailand is growing in numbers [of arrivals] and they have chosen this time to tighten the reigns on an expat population that is small but extremely vocal in voicing out their [unwanted] opinions. There will be costs to doing this, but they will not care or calculate it, as the numbers they care about are going up! It is very difficult to quantify a reduction in growth, as opposed to an actual decline.

Expats are not what they want, they want people who save money in their homeland and the spend it here in a flurry of shopping and boozing on the beach. An average tourist spends multiples more per day than the average expat and keeps their opinions to themselves. "Welcome to Thailand, now karuna get the f*** out, khrap." wai.gif

Disclaimer: I still chose Thailand for living, warts and all. (Mine, not Thailand's)

• Like 1

I would go to hell...that would be any country in the Middle East...no booze...women covered from head to toe...instant conversion to Islam...all the goat you can eat and sheep you can...bleep!

I drank more booze in Kuwait than you could shake a stick at.

I had my wife & daughter with me, so it was cool. I DID, however, hire a full time driver/bodyguard for my wife so she could go shopping while I was at work.

I actually miss Arabic food. Never ate any goat, but the lamb & chicken were pretty damned good with some moutabal & fresh pita bread!

Oh Yeah, Kuwait & Saudi are the only countries I know of where booze is illegal.

I've been to:

Kuwait

UAE

Qatar

Yemen

Oman

Egypt

Jordan

Iraq

Afghanistan

Bahrain

Man, I just put on a pound of weight just thinking about Middle Eastern food. Soo goood, but so heavy. And it's always a buffet...

I would move back to my home country (U.S.) if I could afford it on my pension, but the health care mess keeps me from being able to do that even to cheaper cities and states. If I was single or didn't have a Thai wife, I would consider Costa Rica, Panama, or Equador; even certain places in Mexico, like Baha. If I wanted to stay in this general region I would consider the Philipines. All of these places have a similar or lower cost of living compared to Thailand, but are more welcoming to foreign retirees. I am married to a Thai and we moved here so she could be closer to her family, otherwise this would not have been my first choice.

I've been to:

Kuwait

UAE

Qatar

Yemen

Oman

Egypt

Jordan

Iraq

Afghanistan

Bahrain

I lived in Saudi Arabia for four years and yes, legally it is dry and if you get caught with alcohol you will at least get deported, at worst spend time in a jail that will make Thai jails look like the Hilton. But, having said that, I drank just as much there as I have anywhere. Inside western compounds people make their own wine and beer, and buy moonshine from the local maker in 5 gallon plastic jerry cans and recipes abound for making the clear (near 100%) alcohol taste like any kind of liquor or liqueur. You can drink, but it's a bit of a hassle and risk so better do it at home and keep your wits about you.

I would go to Pattaya.

I heard it's a very interesting country, lots of friendly people, tall boys with high heels to take your breath away, the best looking girls in the world, the beer flows like a river, and they have the new technology buses the Baht buses.

Where else can I find a better place to go?

. . . . . and don't forget: the sailing is great in Pattaya too ! ! ! ! !

thumbsup.gif

The N.Z climate and the fact that it is an English speaking country sounds attractive - but not sure about the costs involved. Philippines is also an option. I hope to be able to do another 5 years in Thailand, but that is far from nailed on with the " anti- Farangs " feeling.

What will be will be.

I am on a rant tonight & I should just leave this alone & go to bed----that's stubbornness for you..,,

Albert----where is the anti farang feeling, Please shut me up....post just one thing from the goverment that is anti Farang, dont tell me its the Visa's thing that apply to everyone no matter what color race creed etc.... post an anti farang message that they have put out---that will show me up to be real stupid.....& I Will just have to send apologies.

You say that NZ sounds nice it is..... I am from the UK lived in NZ through the 70s Australia through the 80s-90s....citizen of all 3 countries....you wont walk into any of those places like you walked in here, does that make them anti farang ??

Look at the list down below....its all the countries that can just fly in here without a visa and stay for at least a month, longer if they wish.......Wow most of them are farang, what a shock.

What about the countries that can not rock on up and get in.....Taiwan India..Saudi Arabia.....etc ..etc...Wow there not farang..whats happening Albert......I'm confused.

To disagree with the visa thing....that's OK, to pretend that there is some great anti farang plot........

. Honestly Albert ......best go put that tin foil back into your hat mate...... you don't know who is out there reading your thoughts.......................coffee1.gif

Australia Austria Belgium Brazil Bahrain Brunei Darussalam Canada Czech Republic Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Hong Kong Hungary Iceland Indonesia Ireland Israel Italy Japan Korea, South Kuwait Liechtenstein Luxembourg Malaysia Monaco Netherlands New Zealand Norway Oman Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Qatar Singapore Slovak Republic Slovenia Spain South Africa Sweden Switzerland Turkey United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States of America Vietnam

You make some reasonable points- but I never actually said that the Govt. had issued any ant- Farangs statements. What I did say is that there is an " anti- Farang feeling- particularly to the non- tourists. Of course, people who want to stay here longer term should have a suitable visa, but I think the visa system still needs a lot of work. If the visa system is not given an overhaul and modernized to reflect modern day circumstances of the ex. Pat community then I believe it will lead to quite a lot of people relocating and at least re-considering the amount they are willing to invest here. This might be what the Military actually want.! Will Thailand be better off with just tourists spending their money as and when they come here on vacation?? Personally, I doubt that very much. The ex.pat community contribute more to Thailand than just money. "I am not saying that Thailand has become more strict than other Asian Countries either, but the reason for me coming here initially was that it did seem a more relaxed place than the alternatives. At the end of the day we are " small fry" in the whole scheme of things- but even small fry have choices !

I would like to visit Brazil . I have never been in that part of the world before. And explore the beautiful nature there and the brazilian food and hospitality . The whole atmosphere really. If I like it , I might move there for good.

Brazil is to much corruption, not safe, a lot of kidnappers, gov is sinking, very expensive country, bad services, low quality, brazil sucks! I do not like. Perhaps Uruguay, small and organized! Defnitively South America only for short holidays not to have a life, unless you earn around R$40K /mo then you will be most welcome.

believe I'd try Ky Anh town in Ha Tinh province in north central VN...lived and worked in the area for over a year and still remember the place fondly although the living and working conditions were harsh...the spectacular scenery compensates for a lot...

I gots a couple of local frens that worked at the accommodation where I stayed and they've moved on and kept in touch and are delighted at the prospect of tutsi's re-appearance...just settle in, sell hot dogs down the local market, just enough for vodka Hanoi and ciggies, etc., you know...

Already making plans to move to Dominican Republic (DR). A tourist visa overstay of 9 MONTHS costs about $23 USD. And no big deal, no threats of jail time or "bad boy" stamp in your passport. They're happy to see you come right back and do another 9 months. I will miss the soapies, but there are many "gentemen's" clubs throughout the DR, and besides hot latin chicks, they have Hatian girls working there, too. MUCH more diverse selection. As well, the last few times I've visited Soi 6 Pattaya, it seems like the fun has been completely sucked out, and aggressive, mean-spirited kitoeys are taking over. This last coup and the absolute military takeover has me just a little nervous, as we all know how much sense the military leaders tend to demonstrate.

Edited by quandow

I'm an old Frenchie

If I were a rich man

-south of France (best way of life but security concerns, you won't believe how many stars are living there)

-Tuscany, Italy (great place, great way of life, not far from some of the most beautiful towns in the world)

-NYC, USA on the 5th Avenue (can't miss its energy) + Idaho (quiet and astounding beautiful nature)

If I were a well off man

- Mallorca Island, Spain (you have to carefully choose where you stay, try to learn some spanish, get along with native Mallorcans, it takes time but then it'll be enjoyable)

- Bavaria, Germany (You should know how to drink beer and be a smoker, though)

As I am a poor farang

-Philippines (easy long term visa, cheap, dysfunctional like hell, typhoons but outside Manilla, some good and cheap places)

-Laos (about visa ....., ...., You have to really be lazy, nothing to do, sleeping, cheap wine and french bread everywhere)

• Like 1

I like it warm and tropical, so I've looked at most of the warm South American countries, and almost all of the Central American countries, Tenerife, Fiji, all of the Caribbean countries and islands etc. I have a Thai wife, so I need to find a place where English is spoken, and where we wouldn't stick out like tourists. Mauritius has a mixed population, the official language is English, and it's just seven hours from SE Asia by air. I've also given the Mayan Riviera a pretty close look as it's very safe there, cost of living is about the same as Phuket where I am now, and there are many nationalities calling it home.. Hawaii has also been given a close look as I have many friends there, but it seems really expensive for what you get.

Vietnamese treat foreigners with a lot of respect and boy the ones that I met REALLY don't like the Thais, along with the Cambodians, Burmans, Lao and just about every other ethnic group in Southeast Asia

You make some reasonable points- but I never actually said that the Govt. had issued any ant- Farangs statements. What I did say is that there is an " anti- Farang feeling- particularly to the non- tourists. Of course, people who want to stay here longer term should have a suitable visa, but I think the visa system still needs a lot of work. If the visa system is not given an overhaul and modernized to reflect modern day circumstances of the ex. Pat community then I believe it will lead to quite a lot of people relocating and at least re-considering the amount they are willing to invest here. This might be what the Military actually want.! Will Thailand be better off with just tourists spending their money as and when they come here on vacation?? Personally, I doubt that very much. The ex.pat community contribute more to Thailand than just money. "I am not saying that Thailand has become more strict than other Asian Countries either, but the reason for me coming here initially was that it did seem a more relaxed place than the alternatives. At the end of the day we are " small fry" in the whole scheme of things- but even small fry have choices !

I have got to truly say Albert that I have not come across any change in the attitude of the Thai's in the 15 years I have lived here-----maybe living in Issan they haven't caught up with the feelings you talk about.

I still view the Thai visa laws as being quite flexible for people who want to live here.... if you are married to a Thai & over 50 then just show them $14K in the bank & don't bother to see them again for another year. If under 50 then a Marriage Visa (the Visa wife) dependent child..etc etc ....honestly Albert so many ways around it that I sometimes look at some of the posts on here & think ----How did you manage to tie your shoes up this morning.

I do get upset when posters on here dump on the Thai's, saying they don't want us & its a racial thing.

Thailand is a nice place to live---so nice that some people who do not have the means to live here stay anyway, Look at youtube --farangs sleeping on the beach in Pattaya, a thread on here 2 days ago about a farang trying to sell sausages up in issan. What do you do if your a Thai looking at this situation--other then look at the laws and say, the law is already there to stop this--lets just enforce it. Will some people who do have the means to stay here get caught up in this----sure & the bitterness will insure that they slag of Thailand & the Thai people, as you can see from some of these posts.

* Anyway if I relocated from here..... it would be Canvey Island for me, sun kissed shores over looking the oil refinery.

I do understand what you are saying and maybe you are right ; maybe the rhetoric is ramped up by the cynics and it@'s not as hard faced as it seems to be? We will have to wait and see. I also know that there is a way around the obstacles that seem to have been out in front if certain people, but if Thailand wants to legitimize certain things then, whilst I welcome that, I would equally welcome a review of the visa types that are available. I quite like some of the creative solutions, but let's be honest, - if boarder and more modern day options were available then there would be far less demand for creative solutions. Personally, I do not fit any of the criteria that you mention and the other legitimate options seem very few. If others are in a similar situation and would willingly " contribute more" to the system, but don't seem to find a suitable category, then it would seem that there did ought to be broader options. I am not a sponger, tax dodger, drop out or social misfit. In a sensible world and assuming that there was no hidden agenda to rid a country of foreigners, if a person has the means and the willingness to contribute to the country in which they reside, both in skills and financial terms, then I would have thought that they ought to be allowed to do so?

I won't go into specifics, but I could do business here if it was made feasible to do so. Entrepreneurs ( I am sure there are some here ) don't necessarily want to employ 4 x locals ( legitimate or otherwise ) and don't want to surrender a large % of their company shares to local Thai People. I won't go on, but the creative solutions also leave you glancing over your shoulder and not ever really knowing how things could pan out !

Nothing wrong with the view of a good Oil Refinery or Petro Chem Plant BTW, particularly at night and from a reasonable distance !

Hahaha…I contemplate this weekly and it’s frustrating. I have not bought a bicycle or motorcycle which means I am not fully content living here. I just do not see this place as spectacular or exotic as some other places I have been to.

I miss hiking in the beautiful jungle/forest where I can see many animals and not see trash. I miss the beautiful beaches not covered in trash and clean ocean that actually has fish.

Central America has been my second choice and one of the reasons I have not fully settled in on Asia. I can speak some spanish and certainly can learn a lot more if I lived there.

South America is also on my top list.

Europe is a consideration.

I’m currently in the US on a summer trip. Many things I love about the US, but it’s a place I know I can always go to. In the mean time I will travel the world…just not sure where to settle in.

I don’t own anything in the US…

No cold places. Some place that has countryside not too far away... beaches and ocean a must. Bicycle riding (preferably mountain biking), good motorcycling.

I have to admit, being single, I am attracted to Asian women more so than Latinas… so there’s that.

If this post does not make sense, this is how I have been feeling since I moved to Thailand 17 months ago....Help me…hahaha

Edited by Nowisee
  • Like 1

window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());

Back home and actually that's where I'm headed next month after 5 years in Thailand.

One of the things long-term expatriation here teaches you is that it isn't so bad in the West, you get a lot more perspective on things.

Spent 7 years living in Thailand, after 5 years made plans to depart. Thought I would live the rest of my life in Thailand. Bought a house in California and 2 years later left......do not miss it at all. OK...I miss the food. I breathe fresh air here, no pollution, no burning of garbage, plastics, trash, clean environment, cost of living is about 20% higher-big deal.

After retiring and living here in Thailand for 5 years I realize there's no single place that will satisfy 90%, especially since my needs and wants continue to change as I get older. During the next 5 years I plan on spending more time in my home country and possibly long 'holidays' in Thailand and other destinations. When i retired, I did not 'sell the farm' or put all my eggs in one basket so it as easy and comfortable for me to live back home as it in my Thai condo. I will again look at S. Vietnam, Baja and other parts of my country as well as other parts of Thailand; but now with the understanding it's only temporary as long as I have enough eggs to go around.

Enjoy the learning process and the journey.

Edited by losgrad

Vietnamese treat foreigners with a lot of respect and boy the ones that I met REALLY don't like the Thais, along with the Cambodians, Burmans, Lao and just about every other ethnic group in Southeast Asia

Could their dislike have anything to do with them being at the bottom of the pecking order ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Could their dislike have anything to do with them being at the bottom of the pecking order ?

i think worded that incorrectly, what I meant to say was I have met a handful of Vietnamese, Burmese, Cambodians and Lao...none really had glowing remarks to say the least about the Thai...maybe because they are all "at the bottom of the pecking order" in the eye of many Thai

Been thinking about Cambodia since I don't feel welcome here anymore. South America sounds interesting and I'm curious to know where in Sth. America you would go to Pluto?

I would go to Costa Rica. Twenty five percent of the land is national park. Clean, great wildlife, fruits, coffee, vegetables, great Surfing on both the Pacific coast and the Caribean coast, best health care system, volcanoes, mountains, lakes....Yes, its' not perfect but nowhere is, it would do for me.

Sandwiches cost 25 cents less than in Los Angeles. I am not sure why anyone would live in the third world if it costs the same as the first world. Isn't the value aspect a consideration? Costa Rica is way overpriced. Nice place. A little boring, but nice.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect