If you were to move out of Thailand, where would you go?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably Mongolia. The weather is awful for 9 months of the year (-40 degree winters) and Ulaanbaatar is one of the most polluted cities on the planet, but I have lots of friends there.

Other than that, I spent a little time in Prague recently and found it lovely. Lots of cheerful expats, friendly locals and a low cost of living, with easy access to western Europe.

• Like 1

This is so funny. Typists who live in the best place on Earth, Thailand, speculating about going to communist countries, cesspool nations, foreigner-hating countries, and more expensive places.

Thanks for the laughs.

P.S., please move out soon, bye!

• Like 2

I'd go home. New Zealand. it's a great country that offers a great way of life. I'm thinking about leaving Thailand anyway. The Thai charm has largely worn off me, although there are still many things I love about the country. Having said that, perhaps this coup could finally bring about much needed change and renew my passion for the country.

I would also consider certain parts of the USA, Central & South America, and the UK.

I'm not one of these people who whinges about how crap this place or the other is. Life is generally what you make of it, and in my experience it's usually losers who complain the loudest.

I feel sort of same same but different.

It's the coup (junta rule) and the general back-peddling toward even deeper elitist-feudal-non-democratic rule that makes me think twice about staying.

• Like 2

Azores. Good climate year round, stunning scenery and clean. Good food too!

Would be best to do 6 month Thailand (Oct-March) and 6 month Azores (Apr-Sept).

Have you ever been there? May as well go to the Falklands.

• Like 1

I've become more interested in Colombia. Specifically Medellin. But there are downsides ... recently they made the visas harder, it is getting more expensive because Colombia is growing well economically, you have no choice but to learn Spanish, and they don't like spicy food ...

Plan to keep an eye on how their visa changes shake out ... they just happened this year.

If I did leave Thailand, I would likely go back to the USA though. Not interested in moving to any other Asian country than Thailand anymore.

I would go where I am appreciated...welcomed... treated with dignity...respected and not called an alien. Where I would not be required to CHECK IN every 90 days like a criminal and where my rights were equal to others. Maybe Cuba or N. Korea would be better.

These are big IFS.

• Like 2

I lived in Thailand for 8 years, and yeah, it finally got to me.

I'm looking into moving to the Federation of St Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean, as they speak English & I can get a passport from there after buying a house.

Then again, I've been a bit of a gypsy since 1998. I'm back in the USA now (southern, rural Georgia). Bit of a culture shock really, but at least I speak Southern (born in Florida).

I got pulled over at 11:15 PM the other night. I was driving my flip-flops (walking), under a street lamp, next to the Montgomery county courthouse, right next door to the Sheriff's Department main office, and some fat lard-ass redneck cop asked (TOLD) me in a very Gestapo-like manner "Show me your papers".

I'd had a few beers, so decided to walk to the store to grab some beer & ciggies.

Pissed him off because I asked him "WHY?" He said I looked suspicious. He ran my ID and it came back "No Wants, No Warrants". He looked like some 9 year old kid that just found out there's no such thing as Santa Claus.

I've spent the night in 45 countries & speak passable Spanish.

One of the primary beefs I have with Asia is the mindset of overcrowding. Taiwan (mentioned previously) is SUPER over crowded & I hate Chinese food.

I loved Mexico. Puerta Vallarta & San Felipe are beach towns. It was 2000, and I passed out drunk on the seawall in San Felipe & woke to a nice sunrise. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but, it happened & I was OK.

Argentina would be nice. I spent 3 weeks in Buenos Aires in 2001, and a week in Bahia Blanca.

Panama & Costa Rica would be other places to consider, but traffic is mayhem (much like Thailand).

Surely to Indonesia, preferably Bali and east Java. People more friendly than Thais, good sense of humour, pretty good food and pretty lovely ladies, better diving then here in Thailand, a pure asian style, nice roads to drive around ( although a bit too much traffic here and there, but the north and central Bali still ok) , reasonable western food options, exept a bit of a hard and expensive place to get residence, but I have quite a few friends there who managed this, just have to pay the kita's every year, but worth it. if I would be kicked out of Thailand, would surely go back there again !

• Like 1

This is so funny. Typists who live in the best place on Earth, Thailand, speculating about going to communist countries, cesspool nations, foreigner-hating countries, and more expensive places.

Thanks for the laughs.

Really? The OP asked a viable good question, Thailand the greatest place on Earth--guess you don't get around much. If I left Thailand Uruguay, Panama or Costa Rica might be good alternatives in the Americas. Several Internation Living sites (can Google them) have info on those and other countries, low cost of living and easy visa requirements and good living conditions. In Asia I would consider Viet-nam or Mynamar as Cambodia, Laos a little too 3rd world for me although cheap. If you have sufficient funds Singapore or Malaysia modern conviences, great infrastucture .Just my opinion and personal choices.

Edited by Tony125

Thanks for the laughs.

Really? The OP asked a viable good question, Thailand the greatest place on Earth--guess you don't get around much. If I left Thailand Uruguay, Panama or Costa Rica might be good alternatives in the Americas. Several Internation Living sites (can Google them) have info on those and other countries, low cost of living and easy visa requirements and good living conditions. In Asia I would consider Viet-nam or Mynamar as Cambodia, Laos a little too 3rd world for me although cheap. If you have sufficient funds Singapore or Malaysia modern conviences, great infrastucture .Just my opinion and personal choices.

how is Laos too third world but Cambodia and Myanmar are viable options....I always thought they were even more third world from my experiences

KhnomKhnom, on 07 Aug 2014 - 18:22, said:

Thanks for the laughs.

Best place in the world...I do believe you have a problem. I guess you have visited EVERY country, or do you just make stupid comments that you can't back up.

• Like 2

Azores. Good climate year round, stunning scenery and clean. Good food too!

Would be best to do 6 month Thailand (Oct-March) and 6 month Azores (Apr-Sept).

A lot of people where I come from (Rhode Island) are from the Azores, we even have a direct flight from the Providence Airport to the main Island, I have been interested in going for some time now, but I don't know much about it except the weather is beautiful and i love PORTUGUESE FOOD!

• Like 1

KhnomKhnom, on 07 Aug 2014 - 18:22, said:

Thanks for the laughs.

Best place in the world...I do believe you have a problem. I guess you have visited EVERY country, or do you just make stupid comments that you can't back up.

Romanticized version of Thailand, or else he is just one of the lucky one's who truly enjoys this place, honest good luck to him if he can maintain that feeling

The N.Z climate and the fact that it is an English speaking country sounds attractive - but not sure about the costs involved. Philippines is also an option. I hope to be able to do another 5 years in Thailand, but that is far from nailed on with the " anti- Farangs " feeling.

What will be will be.

gr8fldanille, You hit it right on the button. You have been doing your home work. KUDOS to you. You were absolutely right with your info. That country is the place to go. I,m right on the cusp of doing that myself. Wanted to make Thailand my home 4 ever and ever. Just is not working. Been here 4 5 years now and it is starting to rub me the wrong way. No matter what we falangs do or how much we do we will always be 2nd class 3rd class citizens. Back to America is OUT OUT OUT, My heart places a bet on URAGUAY YEA. See You there. Namast'e

• Like 1

gr8fldanille, You hit it right on the button. You have been doing your home work. KUDOS to you. You were absolutely right with your info. That country is the place to go. I,m right on the cusp of doing that myself. Wanted to make Thailand my home 4 ever and ever. Just is not working. Been here 4 5 years now and it is starting to rub me the wrong way. No matter what we falangs do or how much we do we will always be 2nd class 3rd class citizens. Back to America is OUT OUT OUT, My heart places a bet on URAGUAY YEA. See You there. Namast'e

you have been here 45 years or do you mean about 4 or 5 years, if it was the former, damn that is a loooong time

Yes, Australia is a fabulous destination if you can afford it, have a job, a working spouse or five friends to share with otherwise forget retirement unless you can afford to buy your own home.

Yes. I spent a couple weeks in Darwin once & really liked it. I only had one day in Sydney, but it seemed nice enough.

I've heard nice things about Perth, though I've never been there.

I'm not much on big cities....Can't stand BKK nor Atlanta for that matter. I was in Atlanta last weekend. If I never go back it will be too soon!

Also, I've GOT to be someplace TROPICAL. It's flippin' August here & gets down to 68F (20C) at night, then shoots up to 98F (37C) during the day. Also rural Georgia has the most annoying bugs (knats) of anywhere I've been.......Well the flies in the Kuwaiti desert in the winters are exceptionally annoying as well....

Then again, as I mentioned above, the Police State is alive and well in most every "Developed" nation, which is something I prefer to avoid.

Big Brother is WATCHING You!

Show me your papers!

If you see something, say something!

That last line is remeniscent of what I've read about Saudi Arabia & East Germany, where neighbors were urged to spy on each other.

I would urge the original poster of this question to do a Google search for "Sovreign Man Simon Black" and sign up for his newsletter.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

I would go to hell...that would be any country in the Middle East...no booze...women covered from head to toe...instant conversion to Islam...all the goat you can eat and sheep you can...bleep!

• Like 1

Thanks for the laughs.

how is Laos too third world but Cambodia and Myanmar are viable options....I always thought they were even more third world from my experiences

"Smurkster" Re-read my post , I said I would consider Viet-nam or Myanmar the reason is Viet-nam has realations with USA and thier econmy is immproving rapdily. Same with Burma (Myanmar) since embrcaing Democracy resently ( Aung San Suu Kyi thier former jailed Pres is now today poised to run for Pres in new elections) has had sanctions dropped and econmy is poised to boom. China and India are planing on building a road from China thru Burma into India and on to Europe wich will really open up oportunities and economy in the region so I could see it as a good place for rapidly rising cities like thier new capital currently sparsley settled but due to boom.

• Like 2

I would go to hell...that would be any country in the Middle East...no booze...women covered from head to toe...instant conversion to Islam...all the goat you can eat and sheep you can...bleep!

I drank more booze in Kuwait than you could shake a stick at.

I had my wife & daughter with me, so it was cool. I DID, however, hire a full time driver/bodyguard for my wife so she could go shopping while I was at work.

I actually miss Arabic food. Never ate any goat, but the lamb & chicken were pretty damned good with some moutabal & fresh pita bread!

Oh Yeah, Kuwait & Saudi are the only countries I know of where booze is illegal.

I've been to:

Kuwait

UAE

Qatar

Yemen

Oman

Egypt

Jordan

Iraq

Afghanistan

Bahrain

Never been to Saudi, but I hear it's dry.

All the others, well, they have bars you can belly up to.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1