What's wrong with backpackers?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really nothing straight up....but some are on shoestring and small spenders.....some comsidered unhygenic...unwashed...other as rastas or druggies seeing/financing the world through a slightly different perspective....any group that is viewed in a bad light usually

has earned it over time....their dressing habits don't help......the truth is somewhere in the middle... I've kind of envied their packing skills since I always seem to over pack....we actually use backpacks for our trips around Thailand...much easier to manage

than wheeled luggage for some of the resorts...our last trip was two + weeks

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

I personally have never had any problems with or ever disliked the backpacker types. There are a few things...however...hygiene, yeah I know you're traveling cheap and all...but really taking a shower every now and then really isn't that hard to do. And they seem to have the same dress code...dressing like 60's hippies (seriously, the 60's are long over) or trying to go local with the Thai fisherman pants. Other than that...

I also do feel kind of sad for them. The thing is that the Thailand that they hoped to find...I know is long since gone.

• Like 1

They've all read the Beach and sit around with a bottle of water all day long. They bargain with street food vendors.

But what I *^*%%*%*% hate the most is they are always bumping you with their stupid backpacks.

+ 1.....

Nothing - and you're right, it is just jealousy that they are acting out what we would have loved to have done if given the same time again.

Nothing, I used to be one.

Me, too. Three months in Africa at 15 was a life changing experience.

What I don't get are the ones with more stuff than Zsa Zsa Gabor.

post-160749-0-84352200-1407410832_thumb.

• Like 1

The majority of backpackers these days follow the well worn safe path of Kosan road and ko samui/ko Phangnan for a month before a year staying in youth hostels up the Gold Coast in Australia. They don't need a backpack a suitcase would suffice.

They enjoy and have fun and anyone who dislikes them is just jealous of their freedom.

True backpacking doesn't really exist any more.

Nothing - and you're right, it is just jealousy that they are acting out what we would have loved to have done if given the same time again.

Some of them take around more stuff for a month long trip than I would for three....and I still manage to wear jeans and a freshly ironed shirt in the evening while they lounge around in singlets stinking the place out sharing one beer between four of them....and on and on.....lol

I was staying in a shared accommodation some years ago....three floors with like thirty rooms each with maybe four bathrooms per floor.

Well it started to piss me off that I could never find a plug for the bath in the morning....so I found some cheap ones in a hardware store and placed one in each of the bathrooms....so we wouldn't have to borrow them and be searching around every morning.

Well....within a week they had all disappeared.....so yes....backpacker to me is a state of mind rather than a holiday......

I was staying in a shared accommodation some years ago....three floors with like thirty rooms each with maybe four bathrooms per floor.

Well it started to piss me off that I could never find a plug for the bath in the morning....so I found some cheap ones in a hardware store and placed one in each of the bathrooms....so we wouldn't have to borrow them and be searching around every morning.

Well....within a week they had all disappeared.....so yes....backpacker to me is a state of mind rather than a holiday......

lol, just brought back a memory of some Sydney Kings X hostel that required a $20 deposit for your own bath plug.cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Absolutely nothing if they are real tourists on the right visa. If they are habitual overstaying border hopping illegal working dossers then a good proportion might well be labelled as beach bum, pot head scumbags.

How do you know that someone carrying a backpack is not a real tourist with the right visa? Or should they be instantly suspected of being a dope-smoking beach bum?

Backpackers may seek out bargain 150 baht rooms but spend a couple of thousand baht a day on tours,food,drink etc

VERSUS

Pattaya monger sat in bar all day 1000 baht room but spend a couple of thousand baht a day on drink and women.

The difference is morals and age

one of the best!

• Like 2