What's wrong with backpackers?

Backpacker and backpacking "two different things" Being a backpacker is a lifestyle "not" as in the young feral, disrespectfull, unwashed drunken trash of Koasan road.

But as liveing long stints fromn a backpack. When i do my 6 months a year in Thailand 3 + 3. People that i meet laugh when i tell them "Oh i do nothing" after asked "What do you do",

reason being in the way i present my self as if that of a long term resident, nice shirts, and good

presentation. What i have noticed is the kids that travel the world is once they hit Asia, they

tend to hippy it a little more, and go with the flow of the group in Asia. At that time " this age bracket of people tends to be the easy going 20-30 yo age but once they leave Asia do tend to

straiten up once again and snap back in to reality, "Thankfully"

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing - and you're right, it is just jealousy that they are acting out what we would have loved to have done if given the same time again.

Nothing, I used to be one.

Me too hitched around the world, could write a book, I will pick up any decent looking couple of Europeans. Feed them and help them on their way.

To me, Burma and Laos are the places to be now - Thailand is too well worn. I'd recommend any backpacker to spend most of their time in those countries, and the backpackers I know that volunteered in Burma, have all said it was a wonderful, life-enriching experience.

Yes, they certainly don't mind inconveniencing their fellow passengers on the MRT and BTS because their too freaking cheap to get a taxi.

Your post makes no sense, Thai taxis are are cheap but there are many reasons to get the BTS

What they could do however is drop the pack to the floor when on board

Yes it does make sense, I got tired of the packs in the way and people being bumped into with them. Never mind, that at some stations there are signs asking people not to carry large items, guess that doesn't apply to them. As I said, even Thais will spring for a taxi or tuktuk when they've been shopping, yet after spending their money on plane fair, these guys can't scrape up 200 or 300 Baht.

I have nothing against backpackers, but do not envy them either. I've traveled the world with only a carry-on since I was 20. However, I always had a job; so I always had money, hotel, airfare, and perdiem.

A much better way to see the world.

You miss the whole point of backpacking. I had a friend who inherited 30 million Aus$ and travelled round asia for 6 months on $3000.

I am afraid you have lost me. I see absolutely no point in traveling on a shoe string when you have money--in fact, I'd wager anyone traveling on the cheap would relish more money.

I have nothing against backpackers, but do not envy them either. I've traveled the world with only a carry-on since I was 20. However, I always had a job; so I always had money, hotel, airfare, and perdiem.

You miss the whole point of backpacking. I had a friend who inherited 30 million Aus$ and travelled round asia for 6 months on $3000.

I am afraid you have lost me. I see absolutely no point in traveling on a shoe string when you have money--in fact, I'd wager anyone traveling on the cheap would relish more money.

youre right, he's lost you and by the looks of it you will never understand no matter how many times youre told

Nothing, I used to be one.

Still am....use a backpack whenever I travel.....

Keeps your hands free and you don't look like an idiot pulling a leash with a tiny suitcase on wheels. I toured Thailand with a backpack and laptop for one year straight. Easily done.....and had 90,000 baht per month to spend as I wished.

Who wants to tour Thailand, walk through the towns and villages, pulling a suitcase? Backpackers are in good shape. Free to walk anywhere while keeping all your things together. Rather smart.

Wheeled luggage versus backpacks? I have back pack with wheels:

osprey.jpg

When I was the younger type backpacker's age, I never had the choice in what type of backpack I got. It was an olive drab buttpack given to me for free by my government to explore exotic SE Asia.

• Like 2

in my opinion there´s one big difference these days:

there are still backpackers and there are party tourists coming in for three weeks doing (for example) full moon and vang vieng.

my first time in thailand (15 years ago), i saw many travellers being alone and interested in a conversation/meeting new people. today i see many groups of 4 or 5 people staying in their cliques and getting wasted almost everynight. i call them the "dancing monkeys".

what i would like to see with the backpackers is: less use of the lonely planet and more use of common sense!

some seem to clinch to their lonley planet far too much.

last thing: i met the most interesting people in my life on the road!

I would rather talk to backpackers most are flashpackers on a gap year and loads a money to spend than those old school sexpests and the many white collar criminals who have re invented them selves in Thailand who have no idea about personal hygiene married to noi the thai chinese how from the sexy man bar in pattaya and are all thailand experts because they read stickmanweekly and old school trincky.

Or TEFL engrit teachers who think they are gods gift to the thai education system.

Thats what happens when a Traveler, "either way" becomes a "Expat" the know everything

bunch.

Dare i say,a lot of people on this forum,have never "travelled"in their lives,just home airport to Bangkok.I know people that go straight to Pattaya and stay for 6 weeks,then straight home.Even Bangers is a trip for them,they think i am so brave living in the far NE.If only they knew how easy it is,especially these days with tech.

You don't see barefoot, smelly and dirty backpackers in Singapore, Melbourne or London. In Thailand they wear their filth as a badge of honor. No wonder the Thai Government is making the tourist visa harder to get for everyone, but of course the backpackers are the first to complain. Show some dignity; Have a shower, wash your clothes and put some footwear on. If you show some respect it just might be returned.

• Like 2

Thats what happens when a Traveler, "either way" becomes a "Expat" the know everything

bunch.

Dare i say,a lot of people on this forum,have never "travelled"in their lives,just home airport to Bangkok.I know people that go straight to Pattaya and stay for 6 weeks,then straight home.Even Bangers is a trip for them,they think i am so brave living in the far NE.If only they knew how easy it is,especially these days with tech.

You don't see barefoot, smelly and dirty backpackers in Singapore, Melbourne or London. In Thailand they wear their filth as a badge of honor. No wonder the Thai Government is making the tourist visa harder to get for everyone, but of course the backpackers are the first to complain. Show some dignity; Have a shower, wash your clothes and put some footwear on. If you show some respect it just might be returned.

In hot and humid climes too. I could never understand the attraction to backpacking in anything other than a cool temperate climate. Rather uncomfortable and liable to rashes and sores.

I personally have never had any problems with or ever disliked the backpacker types. There are a few things...however...hygiene, yeah I know you're traveling cheap and all...but really taking a shower every now and then really isn't that hard to do. And they seem to have the same dress code...dressing like 60's hippies (seriously, the 60's are long over) or trying to go local with the Thai fisherman pants. Other than that...

I also do feel kind of sad for them. The thing is that the Thailand that they hoped to find...I know is long since gone.

I first came here in 1968 USAF Stationed at Udorn thani, spent some time in Chiang Mai also. No backpackers then, but they are all looking for an adventure and if they want it go to Burma, Laos, Cambodia This would not be my place to settle down in now been here since 1977 straight through. Today I find the female backpackers worse than the guys. It's all that spiritual crap they picked up in Goa before they came here.

Instead of dropping bombs on innocent Loatian people, there were many hippies who had some integrity and stuck with their spiritual principles.

Goa is a Portuguese colony and predominantly Christian.

Goa ceased being a Portuguese colony a long time ago. Goa may be christian but the "spiritual" practitioners that he was referring to are not the locals but the backpackers.

To me, Burma and Laos are the places to be now - Thailand is too well worn. I'd recommend any backpacker to spend most of their time in those countries, and the backpackers I know that volunteered in Burma, have all said it was a wonderful, life-enriching experience.

Backpackers say that about everywhere, otherwise it would be considered negative, and they can't have that!

Hear no bad, see no bad, speak no bad.

How can they go there? Their smartphones won't work and not enough bandwidth to be a Digital Nomad.

I went backpacking for a year and the employer (large international consulting firm) held the job over for me for 12 months.

Looks can be descriptive.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I was in Laos yesterday and the bandwidth was always very fast there. Thailand was one of the last countries in Asia to get 3G, Laos had it years before Thailand.

I agree Laos and Burma are the travellers' countries now, they are 2 of the rare countries that are not living in America. Laos has only recently allowed cocacola to be sold, during the Vietnam war the CIA was using the old cocacola plant for spying.

How can they go there? Their smartphones won't work and not enough bandwidth to be a Digital Nomad.

So many contributors to these forums have "a friend that inherited $30million", "a number of friends that holiday in Pattaya for 6 weeks", "a friend that met the Dalai Lama on top of Mt Everest"...

Really? I'd like to meet some of your "friends"..