Savannakhet border "scam"

When traveling from Vietnam to Laos by bus, i was forced to reenter Vietnam to find an ATM (miles away) to pay for my Indonesian ex-GF's Laos visa which she wasn't supposed to need.

I was scammed more times in Laos than any other country.

Yep, same for me.

In other countries there are also scams of course, but it whether requires your inattention or it's about 1-2 usd so it's not worth worrying too much about.

Had also my gf extorted thousands of bahts 2 years ago, and many other problems.

Laos is now truly pissing me off, it's like you need to read a whole book about Laos scams before you want to cross its border sad.png

Laos Border Scams for dummies, any good book writer here ? :-D

yup another scam is the double entry stamp scam.

we travelled Vietnam to Thailand through Laos and they put 2 entry stamps in my wife and kids thai passports on entering Laos. Went to leave via Mukdhan and this suddenly became a major problem that " may require them to go to head office in Savanakhet".

Told the wife straight away he wasn't getting any money off me. Anyway after making us wait until the bus had gone (I had to get all our cases off) it took him 5 secs to just cross out the extra stamps and let us on our way.

Edited by parryhandy
  • Like 1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Swiss it is free. No visa required. I think maybe the top government officials have a special arrangement with the Swiss banks. A Swiss friend of mine living near the border crosses regularly just for the duty free shopping.

• Like 1

So, for an American, USA, citizen, is the VISA into Laos at Savannakhet border $30.usd or $35.usd? I will have exact change and new bills so as to avoid any hassle in that respect. Need to know which it is for USA citizens holding a valid passport. Seems such a simply thing and it isn't a Cambodian land crossing where they won't accept the $20.usd real price.

So, for an American, USA, citizen, is the VISA into Laos at Savannakhet border $30.usd or $35.usd? I will have exact change and new bills so as to avoid any hassle in that respect. Need to know which it is for USA citizens holding a valid passport. Seems such a simply thing and it isn't a Cambodian land crossing where they won't accept the $20.usd real price.

For you it will be $35 unless you are crossing on a weekend or after 5 or 6 o'clock.then it will be a dollar or two more for overtime.

So you call this an unpleasant experience and a "scam". The people are poor in Laos and underpaid. So what is a few baht to you.

A bug fuss for nothing. I guess you are the type of "farang" who would not even tip anyone.

For the Swiss it is free. No visa required. I think maybe the top government officials have a special arrangement with the Swiss banks. A Swiss friend of mine living near the border crosses regularly just for the duty free shopping.

They do need a visa, just do not have to pay. When I went into Laos last year the guy in the queue beside me was Swiss, had to pay 100 baht for something, possibly photocopy. Nice guy, paid mine at the same time and said his visa was free.

It is $35 USD for UK passports.

if there is a sign saying the price clearly in bht where is the scam?

There is no sign at all anymore actually but that's not the point.

It's about refusing a perfectly valid bank note, to force to pay an amount that is much higher in thai baht.

booooo hooooo.. the nasty man at Laos Immigration wouldn't let me pay in dollars... waaahhhhh xcrying.gif.pagespeed.ic.kh9vLpJQkU.png

totster :D

• Like 1

The charge is 30USD or 1500bt, this is displayed and no mention of exchange rates are made. I always pay in Baht and don't feel I have been scammed. No merchant has to accept payment from a customer, it is entirely their discretion.

totster smile.png

It is the same at the Cambodia borders. The visa is $20 USD but it has been 1000 Baht plus extras for several years.

--Scam?

--The going exchange rate is 31.xxxTHB for every dollar, if you count 1500 / 31 = 48.xxx US dollars.

--How can you get that to be a scam?

My mistake, didn't read the post carefully, 30 US it was not 50.

Edited by KamalaRider

You're lucky you only pay ฿1500 last time I crossed the border 6 years ago I had to pay, I think it was ฿1800, when I asked why so much, they said because I was Canadian.

Most european countries pay 30 USD, beside Sweden who has to pay...31 USD, quite funny scheme biggrin.png

Server made a duplicate and posted as a reply

Edited by KamalaRider

You're lucky you only pay ฿1500 last time I crossed the border 6 years ago I had to pay, I think it was ฿1800, when I asked why so much, they said because I was Canadian.

Most european countries pay 30 USD, beside Sweden who has to pay...31 USD, quite funny scheme biggrin.png

Server made a duplicate and posted as a reply

Edited by KamalaRider

--Scam?

--The going exchange rate is 31.xxxTHB for every dollar, if you count 1500 / 31 = 48.xxx US dollars.

--How can you get that to be a scam?

My mistake, didn't read the post carefully, 30 US it was not 50.

Because he expected to pay 30 USD and ending up paying the equivalent of 48 USD, so he paid 18 USD extra.

Edited by nahkit
  • Like 1

So, well, not only pay in dollars at the border, but also make sure your notes are absolutely perfect !

Damaged US currency used in the US will be exchanged for new notes at the Reserve Banks by commercial banks that receive them. So if someone gets a damaged bill, no problem. When it eventually gets deposited in a bank, it will get replaced and not returned into circulation.

Dollars and other foreign currency received in Thailand or Laos will end up being re-sold to foreigners at banks or currency exchanges. Most people buying dollars (or pounds or Euros or ...) at currency exchanges won't want to be given damaged notes. So most people here will balk at taking damaged foreign currency for fear they'll have a problem with it.

Exactly how badly damaged it is before it will make a difference is a subjective call. Every time Khun Farang doesn't get his way and feels he's suffered a loss of face doesn't equate to a scam.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

So you call this an unpleasant experience and a "scam". The people are poor in Laos and underpaid. So what is a few baht to you.

A bug fuss for nothing. I guess you are the type of "farang" who would not even tip anyone.

He got 550 B from me...and you compare this with a tip ? biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Sure, if you see things so, let's start paying our kao phad 1000 B in Laos and make people really happy clap2.gif

I watch you do first, ok ? wink.png

• Like 1

i was there last month and the fee was $35 dollars or just over 1500 thai baht but because it was a holiday i had to pay $36 dollars for the priviledge of being allowed into laos,if they can they will get extra out of you its their nature they are all the same thai or laos its there nature, but if you dont like it then move to malaysia bloody good country

i was there last month and the fee was $35 dollars or just over 1500 thai baht but because it was a holiday i had to pay $36 dollars for the priviledge of being allowed into laos,if they can they will get extra out of you its their nature they are all the same thai or laos its there nature, but if you dont like it then move to malaysia bloody good country

Saturday and Sunday an extra dollar, if you turn up with $35 you cannot pay the extra dollar in baht, cough up 1500bht. Well that's what happened to me once....sad.png

• Like 1

Been a few times, always tell the Bank what the $ are for and receive brand new $ bills.... likewise always took many new 100, 50 and 20 baht bills for shopping there

Don't see any Scam, is very clear... both at the Border and on many websites... my last Visit was a little over 900 baht for 35 $ at the North Bus Station in BKK [they were brand new and unfolded bills]

Country Price (US Dollar)

Australia 30

Canada 42

China 20

India 40

Sweden 31

USA 35

UK 35

Others 30

If you chose to pay in Thai Baht it will cost you around 1,500 Baht

Edited by ignis

So does this mean if you enter Laos but live in Malaysia you don't have to pay the fee ?

Saturday and Sunday an extra dollar, if you turn up with $35 you cannot pay the extra dollar in baht, cough up 1500bht. Well that's what happened to me once....sad.png

Wrong, I turned up with the $35 as expected from a UK Citizen, it was a weekend & unbeknown to me the cost was $36, he accepted 40Baht for the one missing $

Don't see any Scam, is very clear

Country Price (US Dollar) Australia 30 Canada 42 China 20 India 40 Sweden 31 USA 35 UK 35 Others 30

>>>>> IF <<<<<< you choose to etc.

Yes, that is right.

Now read the op, and many other posts.

This thread is NOT about choosing to pay in baht (expensive) or dollars (cheap).

This thread is about not being allowed to pay in dollars, a common scam in Laos and Cambodia.

Or do you think that Lao and Cambodian immigration officers are so stupid that they will not change the baht they received for dollars before they hand over the money to their governments?

Again, if you don't mind extortion, corruption, robbery, fine, enjoy, but do not tell others to accept it too.

• Like 1

Country Price (US Dollar) Australia 30 Canada 42 China 20 India 40 Sweden 31 USA 35 UK 35 Others 30

Yes, that is right.

This thread is NOT about choosing to pay in baht (expensive) or dollars (cheap).

This thread is about not being allowed to pay in dollars, a common scam in Laos and Cambodia.

Or do you think that Lao and Cambodian immigration officers are so stupid that they will not change the baht they received for dollars before they hand over the money to their governments?

Again, if you don't mind extortion, corruption, robbery, fine, enjoy, but do not tell others to accept it too.

You cut my Post.?.....I said...... they were brand new and unfolded bills..

I am sure there would have been NO problem for the OP with 30 or 35 $ brand new and unfolded bills..

[the OP said there was a small mark + he folded it in half + was not the exact amount]

Yes, that is right.

You cut my Post.?.....I said...... they were brand new and unfolded bills..

I am sure there would have been NO problem for the OP with 30 or 35 $ brand new and unfolded bills..

[the OP said there was a small mark + he folded it in half + was not the exact amount]

I did not CUT your post.

You EDITED your post after I quoted it.

Wrong, I turned up with the $35 as expected from a UK Citizen, it was a weekend & unbeknown to me the cost was $36, he accepted 40Baht for the one missing $

Weeeeeeeeeeell, the guy I was facing wouldn't have it, perhaps like most things it depends who one is dealing with on the day...........sad.png ........I am hansum too but made no difference...smile.png

i am sure somebody has added this but the rate in baht is set at 1500 & 1800 (canadians) as it would take border agents longer to process each individual nationality. so they set the rate in baht based on an exchange rate a few years back and just left it. no rip off. as they say take clean bills and try to use exact change (usd) if possible.

You have the exchange rate as $30 US = 1500 THB. If that is really the case, they are the losers because $30 = 970 THB. If you meant $50 US = 1500 THB then it would cost you a little over $3.30 for the exchange which is about 6.6% - probably OK for a small sum. When in Thailand or any other country, I always carry local currency and let my bank worry about the exchange which is most likely a fair market rate at the lower end.

30 USD at normal exchange rate 1 USD = 32 B = 30 x 32 = 960 B

But instead they asked me to pay 1500 THB instead of 30 USD, that's their "change rate".

1500 B - 960 = 540 B in their pockets...

You assume they will be changing it to USD, which they won't of course.

totster smile.png

They should... and then when someone pays them the 1500 baht subsequently, they simply swap it for $30US that they got earlier, and keep the 1500 baht.....rinse and repeat..... nice little earner.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1