Retirement Visa Cancelled......suggestions please

At Sam Koke, the Immigration office for Pathum Thani, the put a stamp in your passport after you get your extension:

NOTICE
TO KEEP YOUR STAY PERMIT RE-ENTRY PERMIT
MUST BE MADE BEFORE LEAVINT THAILAND

NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE MUST BE
MADE EVERY 90 DAYS

i figure it's nice of them to remind us of these requirements, and in the end, saves them work and complaints, too.

Mac

I never knew there was an immigration office in Pathum Thani. I have a resident visa but still need to make a reentry permit occasionally. Could i use the Pathum thani office? I live in Nakhon Nayok but my address is in BKK. if i can use it can you tell me the full address?
Thanks

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best

Yes.  A tough lesson to be learned.

It's not only Thai government officials that don't give all the details when renewing things.

A few years back, I renewed my U.S. passport.  The consular did not mention that extra pages added in my passport upon renewal were free.  Extra pages in my passport after issuance will cost me 80 USD's.

What I find interesting though, is that with all the threads on this forum and others, probably hundreds of threads dealing with the obtaining of a new Retirement Extension, or a renewal of a Retirement Extension...nothing is ever mentioned about obtaining a Re-Entry Permit during the renewal application process.

All people ever mention or ask about is what documentation is needed.

whistling.gif  For the benefit of those who think they have a retirement VISA that they got at their local immigration.
You do not have a visa, you have an extension of your original visa that originally got you into the country for one year.
That visa is EXTENDED for one year based on your qualifying for retirement.
That extension needs you to have an exit re-entry permit when you exit the country.
When you re-enter the country, on your arrival card, put in the place where it ask for "visa number" the number on that exit re-entry permit and write next to it the word "reentry".
That (hopefully) gives the clue to the immigration officer that there is a visa, or in this case a reentry permit for him or her to look for.
He or she should know then that you have a retirement or marriage visa/extension that is still valid and if they made a mistake when you entered they need to correct it.
That's called CYA (Cover Your A--), or CYAP (Cover Your A-- With Paper).
Of benefit to you,  a valid reentry like that also restarts your countdown clock for 90 day reporting on your return to Thailand.
Foe example, if you are 80 days into your 90 day cycle and you leave country, when you return with a reentry permit, your 90 day countdown clock resets to day one on the day you arrive back in country.
rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much for this information. It is very useful. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me last year.  Before the 15 days was up I got a 60 day extension to visit my Thai wife.  I had already planned a trip back to the U.S. around that time and I got a new retirement visa from the embassy in Washington.  I prefer to obtain my visa there so I don't have to put the 800k in a Thai bank.  They also give me a free 12 month extension when I re-enter Thailand from the U.S. with the 1st 12 months.  I found out the hard way that the multiple entry part of visa does not extend past the original 12 months.

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best

You can't have a multiple entry retirement visa. You get an extension of your previous visa based on retirement if you fulfil the requirements.

Then, if you want to leave the country for any reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit, single or multiple as you need.  

Jeez, I do wish some people would post accurate information on here, and also learn the laws of the country you have chosen to live in.

It's not rocket science - and it's NOT your home country.  The laws are not the same.  Do some basic research and then you won't end up with egg on your face and a big bill.

I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain...

Dear Mr Fixit I have a visa based on retirement just like you. As you say it is not called a Retirement Visa, however, it is most definitely Multi entry. So please before you start chastising others it would be good if you got your facts right.

• Like 1

I went through a VERY similar but even WORSE situation.  I used to make many visa runs on a tourist visa, got tired of doing this as I was over 50 and had sufficient verifiable income, so I went to a business person on Soi 6 in Pattaya who "assists" in getting retirement visas.  At a cost of 21k baht, they put 850k baht into the "green colored" bank, got a letter from said bank, then they took me to immigration and got a retirement visa.  Now comes the f*cked up part - on a PREVIOUS trip to see family in the U.S., having purchased a legitimate re-entry visa, upon my return the official at the airport mis-stamped the date in my passport.  The Soi 6 "professional" never caught this, immigration didn't catch it, everything was a hidden land mine.  I THEN WENT FOR A NEW RE-ENTRY VISA A YEAR LATER, and Jomtien immigration caught this deeply buried error.  The head of Thai immigration apologized, saying it was obviously a Thai error, but that there was nothing they could do about it, my retirement visa was negated and I would have to re-apply all over again.  I returned to the Soi 6 "pro" who told me, for an additional 19k baht, she could fix it.  I then went to the U.S. embassy, requesting they inform me of the proper way to get a retirement visa.  At first they balked, saying that was immigration's job.  I calmly and firmly told them how immigration had f*cked me (throwing sand in to boot) and would not leave until someone explained the rules to me.  They brought someone else up to the window who turned me in the right direction and I have had no problems since.

What did I learn from this?

1.  YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for catching mistakes made by the monkeys officials stamping your passport at the airport.

2.  Anyone who uses any of these f*cking idiots "professionals" to obtain a retirement visa is either lazy or has too much money to care.

3.  Move out of Thailand.  They've become WAY too farang-unfriendly.  Or not, up to you.  This time next year I will be living in Dominican Republic.  NINE MONTH overstay on a tourist visa is $23 USD.  No negative stigma, no threat of incarceration, they are happy to see you come right back and do it all over again.

Good luck!

Edited by quandow
  • Like 1

It happened to me once before. I was standing in the Q for check in at BKK Airport bound for Penang when it suddenly hit me that i had forgotten to get my re-entry permit. After making all the inquiries I could it was either carry on with the flight and lose my retirement visa or cancel it. As it was my wife's first time ever to fly and I didn't want to disappoint her, I carried on and was told that I could get it all sorted out in Penang. 

That was not true. However, I came back into Thailand on a tourist visa and applied for my retirement visa all over again. When I got the new one I didn't lose any of the remaining months. I had 6 months left on the old visa so the new one was good for 18 months.

THE IMPORTANT THING WAS THAT i ALREADY HAD THE 800,000 BT LYING IN MY BANK FOR THE 3 MONTHS REQUIRED TIME FRAME.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? 

If I'm reading this correctly and I successfully reapply for a new retirement extension then the remaining months on the cancelled extension are added to the new retirement extension?

In my circumstances that would give me 20 months retirement extension, and of course I would add a multi-entry permit to this ;)

At Sam Koke, the Immigration office for Pathum Thani, the put a stamp in your passport after you get your extension:

NOTICE

MADE EVERY 90 DAYS

i figure it's nice of them to remind us of these requirements, and in the end, saves them work and complaints, too.

Mac

I never knew there was an immigration office in Pathum Thani. I have a resident visa but still need to make a reentry permit occasionally. Could i use the Pathum thani office? I live in Nakhon Nayok but my address is in BKK. if i can use it can you tell me the full address?
Thanks

Living in Nakhon Nayok .you should be using the Chachoengsao office. Why do you have a Bangkok address? You will need some poof of adders for Nakhon Nayok.

——  Postal address  ——  Immigration Office 
 1/20 Maha Chakkraphat Rd. 
 Tambon Na Mueang 
 Amphoe Mueang 
 Chachoengsao 24000   ด่านตรวจคนเข้าเมือง 
 1/20 ถ.มหาจักรพรรดิ์ 
 ต.หน้าเมือง 
 อ.เมือง 
 จ.ฉะเชิงเทรา 24000 
Phone: 0-3851-4011
Email: 
Service Area: Provinces of Chachoengsao, Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi

NOTICE

MADE EVERY 90 DAYS

Mac

Thanks

Living in Nakhon Nayok .you should be using the Chachoengsao office. Why do you have a Bangkok address? You will need some poof of adders for Nakhon Nayok.
    Postal address    Immigration Office 
 1/20 Maha Chakkraphat Rd. 
 Tambon Na Mueang 
 Amphoe Mueang 
 Chachoengsao 24000   ด่านตรวจคนเข้าเมือง 
 1/20 ถ.มหาจักรพรรดิ์ 
 ต.หน้าเมือง 
 อ.เมือง 
 จ.ฉะเชิงเทรา 24000 
Phone: 0-3851-4011

Email: 

Service Area: Provinces of Chachoengsao, Nakhon Nayok, Prachinburi

Source: Address and Google Map location of immigration offices 

Thanks a lot I have a condo in BKK and a house in Nakhon Nayok. The Bkk immigration office is probably more convenient than Chachoengsao. :)

I did a similar screw-up as the OP when I hopped across the border to renew a second year on a multi-entry O-A, but got the timing wrong and came back in to Thailand with a 15 day stamp instead.

While it may be technically true that you can't convert a 15-day stamp inside Thailand, it's worth a shot. I immediately went to CM immigration and told them "I made a mistake", and asked if they could help.  The officer looked things over and said "yes, you made a mistake", and proceeded to stamp me up with a 90 day Non-O, saving me the trouble of hopping out of the country to get it.

No harm asking local immigration for help. Be respectful and humble, and let them know that you know it was your mistake. If the officer you speak with doesn't sort it out for you, you really haven't lost anything for having tried.

• Like 2

I think Thai visa rules and regulations for long stay visas like retirement and marriage should be seriously challenged by expats living in Thailand as they offer no security and needless hassles. But beware, when I requested the Home Ministry of India grant people permanent residency who were eligible for citizenship but could not take it up as it meant surrendering their own nationality...they offered instead a permanent multiple entry lifetime visa to those Indians who had taken the citizenship of another country and just surrender their Indian passport and get the lifetime Indian visa and an Australian/UK/US passport. As an Australian passport holderin India what did I get? Permission to leave the country.

Judging by my recent experience with my spouse extension, you will have to go to Vientiane, get an 'O' visa and start again. A real spherical objects acher. I'm pretty sure that you can't revive your previous extension.

I was on a Retirement Visa and my Wife and I suddenly had the chance to visit South Korea, at a very inexpensive rate.  In my excitement going there, I forgot to buy an exit Visa and ended up in exactly the same position.  Started with 15 day Visa, than had to get an O Visa, then back on to a Retirement Visa.  A bit of a pain, but only myself to blame.  Ever since, when renewing the Retirement Visa I have applied for multi entry - no problem!

I originally entered LOS in 2009 on a Non-O Visa issued by Birmingham (UK) Consular Office, for which I later obtained 1 year Retirement Extensions. I left LOS on 9th July 2014 on a trip to Europe for which I obtained a Single Re-Entry Permit. During my return flight I completed the TM6 Arrival Card and in the section 'Visa Number' entered  B----/2551 this being  the number of the Non-O  Visa I had entered LOS on in 2009. Upon passing through Swampy Immigration it was pointed out to me that I had completed the Arrival Card incorrectly by entering the number of the Visa originally issued in 2009. I was told to change the TM6 Card Visa Number to that shown on the Single Re-Entry Permit issued by Chonburi (Jomtien) Immigration Office. Incidentally, my current Retirement Extension expires in September,  On my last 90 Day Report Form stapled into my passport the Immigration Officer wrote in red biro  'VISA EXP --SEPT 2014' 

It's little wonder there is confusion amongst Expats as to the correct terminology/words to be used when posting on TVF when Immigration Officers seem to have there own interpretation of the terms we are trying to come to grips with!  By the way, I have no qualms with the 'customer service' offered at Jomtien Immigration. The staff always respond favourably to the respect I show them.  

Edited by joebrown
  • Like 1

All the best

"when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa,"

Unless you're talking about a Non-Imm O-A obtained in your home country, there is no multi-entry retirement visa.

As he has been advised, he needs to get a Non-Imm O at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand and then apply for an extension based on retirement, which is not a visa and does not allow any entries to the country ... as he already discovered.  Even the O-A only offers multiple entries during the one year validity of the visa.

Once he gets the extension based on retirement, he will need to get a re-entry permit, both of which will need to be applied for each year at immigrations. Neither is a visa, although the re-entry permit acts like a visa since it will allow him to enter Thailand again and keep his extension valid.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

The OP made a mistake, putting it right will cause some expense and inconvenience but it is not the end of the world. A pity he has had to put up with so many supercilious and sneering responses. Just seems a bit strange that he does not know anybody else on a marriage or retirement extension who would have mentioned the requirement for a re-entry permit as a matter of course.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All the best

You can't have a multiple entry retirement visa. You get an extension of your previous visa based on retirement if you fulfil the requirements.

Then, if you want to leave the country for any reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit, single or multiple as you need.  

Jeez, I do wish some people would post accurate information on here, and also learn the laws of the country you have chosen to live in.

It's not rocket science - and it's NOT your home country.  The laws are not the same.  Do some basic research and then you won't end up with egg on your face and a big bill.

I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain...

No, you had an extension of stay on your original visa, based on you fulfilling the requirements for retirement.  Even you slipped into the 'retirement visa' jargon whilst you were castigating others.  Easy to do of course. 

As noted by UJoe above and elsewhere: Thailand Immigration Act 2522/1979

Section 39 : After having received permission for temporary entry into the Kingdom , if the alien leaves
the Kingdom it is considered that his temporary entry permit has expired. But , if prior to leaving the alien
is granted permission to return by the competent official ... and the period of time previously authorized has not expired , the alien shall be authorized to stay in the Kingdom for the rest of the authorized time.

Ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Indeed not - will require a change in the law which is hardly likely to be a top NCPO priority at the present time. Cannot be accomplished through a mere Police Order.

To all those who posted helpful solutions and encouraging comments, thank you so much. These have provided me with a great deal of information in formulating a plan that I will take to immigration and/or an agency this week.

To the "flamers, trolls and baiters" your sarcastic and condescending personal attacks are a clear indicator of your caustic personality and character. Try to find better way to spend your day other than victimising people who are asking for advice to solve a legitimate problem caused by an honest mistake. 

Ok if you have proof of income or 800,000 baht in bank in Thailand I suggest you fly in on VOA Go to immigration apply for extension based on retirement bascially start from square one then once have new retirement visa go over to other counter and get multi entry stamp in pasport book then next time you go to get other tat in different country you can come back. I guess you never checked here before.

A non O and a retirement visa were stamped in my passport.  Therefore, a stamp.  This website is great with terminology and language differences. 

You had a visa conversion, and an extension of stay (not a visa). issued in Thailand.

My remark was about a visa issued in Vientane, of which an example below.

If these are just boring details to you, perhaps this is not the right forum for you to spend time.

gallery_21260_1006_1836.jpg

I have several Non O visa stamps in my passport. Only the most recent issued July 2013 was as your example.

Just stick to the rules and you will not find yourself in this mess, many foreigners think they don't have to worry about obeying the rules and then start winging when the rules are enforced. 

If you don't understand something ask at immigration and they will make it easy for you to complete the application and obtain the visa that you require. Thailand wants foreigners to retire here and spend their money in their country, you do not need to pay expensive agents to carry out a task that is very simple to complete at a very small cost and only takes a few hours of your time, it goes wrong when people try to bend the rules or think they are exempt from the law. It is the same situation in every country that I have ever visited Thailand is no different, the "drama" is created by people wanting to do their own thing and not bothering to find out all the important details and the rules at the point of application.

You have chosen to live in in a foreign country so obey the rules of that country no drama simple, and if the rules change you have to change it is their country.

I did the same thing a few years ago with a marriage visa when I went to the UK without a re-entry permit about 9 years ago.

If you think that the Immigration people were giving you a hard time then you should have heard what my wife said to me about stupid old farangs. I didn't know she knew words like that. Even grovelling didn't work. She calmed down after a while but though she may have forgiven me she certainly hasn't forgotten it.

Get rid of it,  you don't need a bird like that. 

You need a slim, sweet one that does whatever you want.

That is what is needed in Thailand

The entire re-entry permit process should be scrapped. At best it is just a nuisance tax.

Why is it that by extending your stay in Thailand it automatically means you will not want to leave the country at all? And if you do then you should ask permission first?

This makes no sense at all. Extensions should automatically remain in force until the end of the extended period, full stop. If the revenue is too tasty, spread the amount across all extensions and charge, say 2,500. I am sure few will have a problem.

Why have a permit in the first place? What is the worst that can happen - a person retired here spends a few weeks/months with family overseas? How can that possibly change his circumstances enough to render his original application void?

This is immigration's big chance to make some bold changes, so why not start with the most obvious...

It's because you do not understand the process.

When you are outside Thailand and you apply for a visa to come to the country, you are applying for permission to enter the country. This is what a visa is.  Let's say it is a single entry visa - this allows you to appear at a border and be allowed entry (hopefully) once.

Attached to this permission to enter is a period that you are permitted to stay, say 30 or 60 days.  Now , if you are in the country and you want to stay longer than this, you can request to be allowed to stay longer. This is an extension of stay, NOT a visa. It allows you to stay , because you are already here, but it does not allow you to enter, because you do not have another visa, you have used your visa up by entering.

Therefore if you leave during the extension period you must have a border entry permission, and so you have to buy a re-entry permit, which is what it says, because you no longer have a visa  (permission to enter) and visas are not issued inside Thailand, only by consulates and embassies outside Thailand, so what they issue is a re-entry permit.

It make perfect sense to me.

Also you are very optimistic if you think that the goal of the Immigration authorities is to make it easier for people to enter the country, or stay in the country hassle free, and that's what gets them whistling out of bed in the morning. What country's immigration procedures have the goal of making immigration easy?? Isn't every country you read about trying to make immigration more difficult? Thailand does not have the goal of making it easy, and it would be unwise to think so.

Good explanation, but I think you both missed the point. The immigration and visa process in Thailand is not complicated by design. It has been designed as a "cash cow". 3 pages into this thread and I haven't seen yet the cost of the re-entry permits, 1900 baht a pop I believe. Perhaps Ubonjoe can confirm this. 

That's the whole idea behind the Thai immigration extension rules, the fee per entry. If you haven't figured that out yet, maybe you haven't been in Thailand too long. 

Btw, all these extensions could have been replaced by let's say a 1 year multiple entry retirement visa, with a duration of stay of 3 or 6 months, renewable for another 1 year and so forth. BUT, in the Thai mind, where's the baht in that??

Edited by elzach
  • Like 1

I have several Non O visa stamps in my passport. Only the most recent issued July 2013 was as your example.

Again: that is a visa sticker not a stamp. There is also a red stamp in the example.

The entire re-entry permit process should be scrapped. At best it is just a nuisance tax.

Why is it that by extending your stay in Thailand it automatically means you will not want to leave the country at all? And if you do then you should ask permission first?

This makes no sense at all. Extensions should automatically remain in force until the end of the extended period, full stop. If the revenue is too tasty, spread the amount across all extensions and charge, say 2,500. I am sure few will have a problem.

Why have a permit in the first place? What is the worst that can happen - a person retired here spends a few weeks/months with family overseas? How can that possibly change his circumstances enough to render his original application void?

This is immigration's big chance to make some bold changes, so why not start with the most obvious...

Yes. I agree.
Simplicity is best.
You want to go ...get permission for required time and .."case easy and closed"
All this multiple entry just brings confusion for many.
In final it is unnecessary mess Dividing all those exit and entries on so many options creates
confusion for many who in older age realy do not doing anything wrong or have in mind at all.
They are just victims of legal traps which could be avoided if we could count on realy strait forward information getting all those visas in more friendly environment.
It is best examples to be on this Website for 8 month and seeing over and over same topics.
In comparison to my two "home countries" would be the best to get legal and paid advice on paper before and afterwards of time application for visa's but to be honest LOS can be risky step ...
(I have a friend who did it this way but it was not correct help and he just wasted his time and money)

In summary ...yes visas in this country are not easy ti logicaly understand for many of us.
We are here to have our final days spent without worries .
But it looks like no one here really cares about us exept some same good nature expats who understand those in need or trouble and willing to share bad or good experience in Los.
Please understand that i have said everything here in conjunction to retirement visa which i am thinking about ...if to apply in near future.
But seeing so much trouble i could have...I must seriously find another option even if it will cost me more but at least it will not make my life harder .
To be honest I am here now on multiple entry ED visa and rules are simple ...
Why retirement visa have to have extra permissions etc.???
Unfortunately ..this world this days have more and more stupid and un logical and unhuman rules.

When you leave the country via the BKK airport there is a Thai desk over in the corner by the window  with few people at it. That is where you can buy an exit permit. Since it is widely advertised not to leave the country without one when you have a retirement Visa one should pay close attention. Just one more thai hoop to jump through. It is a way of keeping track of you and your activities. If you left the country 5 times in a year the authorities might become suspicious and check you more thoroughly. 

When you leave the country via the BKK airport there is a Thai desk over in the corner by the window  with few people at it. That is where you can buy an exit permit. Since it is widely advertised not to leave the country without one when you have a retirement Visa one should pay close attention. Just one more thai hoop to jump through. It is a way of keeping track of you and your activities. If you left the country 5 times in a year the authorities might become suspicious and check you more thoroughly.

Jeez, it's a re-entry permit, not an exit permit. Anyone can leave at any time, you don't need a permit for that .

The whole system isn't hard to understand at all, as I explained in post #48 above. What makes it confusing is people not taking the trouble to use the correct names for the different permission documents or not knowing what they are.

It's like calling a chair a table at random in a shop, then expecting someone to bring you the right piece of furniture.

• Like 1