Retirement Visa Cancelled......suggestions please

The consulate staff refer to it as a retirement visa, over 65 with state pension. There is no expectation to apply for an extension.

The hull consulate refers to it as a Non-Immigrant- Category O visa given to a UK pensioner receiving a UK State pension. There is no mention of retirement in Thailand in the description of that Visa. If the staff are calling it a retirement visa, they are mistaken. To retire in thailand, the applicant must apply for an extension based on retirement.

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 2

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They should have a roped off path directly from collection of retirement extension to the Re-Entry Permit desk. alt=biggrin.png>

Don't expect immigration to tell you and do your research for you....

Many guys (like me) chuck a multiple Re-Entry permit in there as soon as they get the new retirement extension, and of course one can be obtained at the airport on the way out.

A lot of aggravation for a little oversight.

Betchya don't do it again... alt=biggrin.png>

But why should I have to pay for a re-entry permi when I do my extension. I came back to Thailand on 26th May 2009 just days after I retired and I have not left since.

IF I need a re-entry permit then I will just pop 125km down the road to Nakhon Sawan and get one. OK it will cost me money for diesel and time which I have a lot of but so far I have saved 9,500 baht by NOT needing one.

No one is saying you have to have a re-entry permit, or get a multiple when you renew your visa extension.  If you have no intention of leaving Thailand, what's the point, save your money as you do. However, very many people do leave the country fairly frequently and if this is the case, having a multiple re-enty permit is not only sensible, it saves you money.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They should have a roped off path directly from collection of retirement extension to the Re-Entry Permit desk. alt=biggrin.png>

Many guys (like me) chuck a multiple Re-Entry permit in there as soon as they get the new retirement extension, and of course one can be obtained at the airport on the way out.

Betchya don't do it again... alt=biggrin.png>

But why should I have to pay for a re-entry permi when I do my extension. I came back to Thailand on 26th May 2009 just days after I retired and I have not left since.

IF I need a re-entry permit then I will just pop 125km down the road to Nakhon Sawan and get one. OK it will cost me money for diesel and time which I have a lot of but so far I have saved 9,500 baht by NOT needing one.

I hear what you are saying Bill, and when you put the figures to it, it makes sense of your argument.

But people think differently. Just because you pay for your medical insurance doesn't mean you have to get ill to utilize it, that's how I would look at it, the insurance is there for emergencies. Would I be without it? Not if I had a choice.

I would actually like to see a small increase in all long stay extensions which would incorporate a single re-entry for emergency reasons. This would cover eventualities like the one the OP has encountered or reasons for emergency travel where it would be one less thing to worry about.

But, that is just me. I do respect your argument...................wai.gif

• Like 1

The consulate staff refer to it as a retirement visa, over 65 with state pension. There is no expectation to apply for an extension.

he purchase a Non- Immigrant type O visa, allowed to him with the expectation he will apply for an extension based on retirement later. It is not a retirement visa per se as other folks can get the same visa.

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best

You can't have a multiple entry retirement visa. You get an extension of your previous visa based on retirement if you fulfil the requirements.

Then, if you want to leave the country for any reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit, single or multiple as you need.  

Jeez, I do wish some people would post accurate information on here, and also learn the laws of the country you have chosen to live in.

It's not rocket science - and it's NOT your home country.  The laws are not the same.  Do some basic research and then you won't end up with egg on your face and a big bill.

I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain...

Edited by mikosan

he purchase a Non- Immigrant type O visa, allowed to him with the expectation he will apply for an extension based on retirement later. It is not a retirement visa per se as other folks can get the same visa.

Which Consulate and in what country?  I fear there might be some confusion.  The requirements are that you are over 50 - not 65 and you do not need a "state" pension - just proof of funds/income.

Which Consulate and in what country?  I fear there might be some confusion.  The requirements are that you are over 50 - not 65 and you do not need a "state" pension - just proof of funds/income.

The above post is not my post, I appear to have made a cock-up whilst trying to respond to another post.  I was questioning the OP who stated the consulate staff in Hull were using the term 'retirement visa', which as far as I am aware doesn't actually exist, it is simply a misnomer.

They should have a roped off path directly from collection of retirement extension to the Re-Entry Permit desk. biggrin.png

Betchya don't do it again...biggrin.png

Oh come on.... life isn't a free ride.

The retirement extension is darned cheap at 1800 for a year, and a Re-Entry just 1000.

Now you are retired and staying in LOS, yes you do not need one, but with the caveat that the extension is cancelled if you do leave without!

Personally I do at least a trip a year, likely more, and I like to be ready for an emergency call back to the UK. Putting the permit in the passport ASAP is just being organised.

I haven't left Thailand in 5 years nor do I plan to do so in the forseeable future.

A single re-entry permit is actually 1,900 baht and the multi re-entry a snip at 3,800 baht.

The last time I extended my stay was 18 days ago at Nakhon Sawan and the extension cost me 1,900 baht.

I have no idea where you get your figures from but they are incorrect.

As for returning to the UK I have my son, daughter in law and grandson left of my family. I also have a few friends that I have not seen for years and an ex-wife who would probably shut the door in my face if I turned up at her place.

I have no need or desire to return to the UK. That is how I am organised. Not everybody wants or needs to go back to their country of origin and therefore IF they want to go they will get the re-entry permit before they leave.

• Like 1

The confusion arises because people seem to think that what does not apply to them does not exist.

Too many can only see from their own perspective.

• Like 1

The hull consulate refers to it as a Non-Immigrant- Category O visa given to a UK pensioner receiving a UK State pension. There is no mention of retirement in Thailand in the description of that Visa. If the staff are calling it a retirement visa, they are mistaken. To retire in thailand, the applicant must apply for an extension based on retirement.

When you ring up for an appointment, they ask if you want a Marriage visa or a Retirement visa. I can only assume that you would say that they are mistaken, the rest of us just say what we want. 

If you are leaving Thailand from Suvarnabhumi you can get your re-entry permit at International Departures lounge No 2, it is manned 24 hrs a day and you do not need to have paperwork or photo as they do it for you..  The charge is 1200THB for a single and very good service.  Did it in May, used to always get a single re-entry when I did my extension at Phitsanulok but most of the time never used the things.

When you ring up for an appointment, they ask if you want a Marriage visa or a Retirement visa. I can only assume that you would say that they are mistaken, the rest of us just say what we want. 

Obviously not, but the point is that the staff are wrong, the term 'retirement visa' is a misnomer. If you ask for a retirement visa you are asking for something that doesn't exist. Call this nitpicking, but it's fact and the sooner everyone stops using the term 'retirement visa' the sooner people will stop being confused and misled. 

• Like 1

Obviously not, but the point is that the staff are wrong, the term 'retirement visa' is a misnomer. If you ask for a retirement visa you are asking for something that doesn't exist. Call this nitpicking, but it's fact and the sooner everyone stops using the term 'retirement visa' the sooner people will stop being confused and misled. 

Furthermore, as far as I am aware, anyone can apply for a Non-Immigrant category 'O' visa and if they fulfill the requirements it will most likely be issued. Being 65 and in receipt of a state pension is not a requirement per se.  The fact that it proves you have some income may assist in you getting the visa.

Edited by mikosan

If you are leaving Thailand from Suvarnabhumi you can get your re-entry permit at International Departures lounge No 2, it is manned 24 hrs a day and you do not need to have paperwork or photo as they do it for you..  The charge is 1200THB for a single and very good service.  Did it in May, used to always get a single re-entry when I did my extension at Phitsanulok but most of the time never used the things.

Any idea if they can do the same for resident visa? This requires both the reentry visa in the passport and in the resident visa book. I have always felt ithe visa is to precious to loose so usually get a multi entry in bkk. Used to take 2 visits but if i remember rightly i did it in one day last time.

I'm telling you that there is no such thing. If you want to continue using the term in error here for everyone to see, be my guest.

• Like 1

Any idea if they can do the same for resident visa? This requires both the reentry visa in the passport and in the resident visa book. I have always felt ithe visa is to precious to loose so usually get a multi entry in bkk. Used to take 2 visits but if i remember rightly i did it in one day last time.

Can't help you there I'm afraid, but I'd certainly like to know how to get a resident visa. I understand they are like hen's teeth, I only know one person with one.

Edited by mikosan

Can't help you there I'm afraid, but I'd certainly like to know how to get a resident visa. I understand they are like hen's teeth, I only know one person with one.

I got mine at least ten years ago when the price was still 50,000 baht. The application etc was flying thru a few hoops but not to bad. Staff helped with some answers to the quizzes. Guess it depends on how charming you can be hehehehe. Speaking thai would be important.
I remember mine took about 3 years after the process was completed and happened immediately after a change of the interior minister ( along with hundreds of others they told me). I understood that that interior minister didn't like foreigners. Purachai if i remember rightly.
  • Like 1

A single re-entry permit is actually 1,900 baht and the multi re-entry a snip at 3,800 baht.

A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht. A multiple does cost 3800 baht.

All extensions cost 1900 baht.

See: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=fee

Sorry guv. I woz wrong and bow before your superior knowledge.

Signed silly old fool with a brain fart.

sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png  post-4641-1156694083.gif.pagespeed.ce.HF   embarrassed-smiley-face.gif

Furthermore, as far as I am aware, anyone can apply for a Non-Immigrant category 'O' visa and if they fulfill the requirements it will most likely be issued. Being 65 and in receipt of a state pension is not a requirement per se.  The fact that it proves you have some income may assist in you getting the visa.

Incorrect. Not anyone, only those that can satisfy certain criteria. 

Being over 65 with a state pension is the criteria for a retirement visa.

Consulate staff can use any terminology they wish, a bit arrogant to say otherwise.

Oh come on.... life isn't a free ride.

The retirement extension is darned cheap at 1800 for a year, and a Re-Entry just 1000.

Now you are retired and staying in LOS, yes you do not need one, but with the caveat that the extension is cancelled if you do leave without!

Personally I do at least a trip a year, likely more, and I like to be ready for an emergency call back to the UK. Putting the permit in the passport ASAP is just being organised.

I haven't left Thailand in 5 years nor do I plan to do so in the forseeable future.

The last time I extended my stay was 18 days ago at Nakhon Sawan and the extension cost me 1,900 baht.

I have no idea where you get your figures from but they are incorrect.

As for returning to the UK I have my son, daughter in law and grandson left of my family. I also have a few friends that I have not seen for years and an ex-wife who would probably shut the door in my face if I turned up at her place.

I have no need or desire to return to the UK. That is how I am organised. Not everybody wants or needs to go back to their country of origin and therefore IF they want to go they will get the re-entry permit before they leave.

Yes excuse me for having the numbers off a bit, I really don't pay much attention.

I was off 100 baht on the extension price.

Your numbers are wrong too! Recheck the price for a single re-entry permit.

You are fortunate not to need to return to the UK, or maybe not, but I was really talking of my situation.

There are also other countries in the world, I have no desire to limit myself to only staying in Thailand for the rest of my life. My wife likes to do the odd trip to neighbouring countries and even further afield, guess what, you need a re-entry permit.

The error was in the OP, expecting the border people to tell him he needed the permit.

I have a retirement extension with multi entry visa. Needed as I tend to travel on a monthly basis.

A couple of trips back, when exiting, the Immigration officer at BKK airport asked if I had a multi entry. I had seen him checking the passport and had wondered if he had spotted any problem. I was able to show him the multi entry. I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern. So some officers do make a point of checking, but obviously not all as it is plainly not their responsibility so to do.

But it remains down to the extension holder to ensure they have the appropriate stamps.

You aren't using the right terms. It's not just nit-picking , what you said could give the wrong impression, and it's important for people to understand what they need, or they make mistakes, like the OP.

If you have a retirement extension then you do not have a visa, multi-entry or any other kind. When you get a retirement extension you must buy a "re-entry permit" (this is what they are called: they are not visas) if you want to leave the country and keep the extended permission to stay active. Even if your original visa was a multi-entry visa, once you are on an extension you must buy a re-entry permit to be able to leave the country.

Re-entry permits  themselves can be single entry, for one trip in and out, or multi entry, for unlimited trips during the period of your extension.

Very helpful post it explains a lot and explains  a lot for me but can you tell me if it is the same for an extension based on marriage

I have a retirement extension with multi entry visa. Needed as I tend to travel on a monthly basis.

A couple of trips back, when exiting, the Immigration officer at BKK airport asked if I had a multi entry. I had seen him checking the passport and had wondered if he had spotted any problem. I was able to show him the multi entry. I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern. So some officers do make a point of checking, but obviously not all as it is plainly not their responsibility so to do.

But it remains down to the extension holder to ensure they have the appropriate stamps.

You aren't using the right terms. It's not just nit-picking , what you said could give the wrong impression, and it's important for people to understand what they need, or they make mistakes, like the OP.

If you have a retirement extension then you do not have a visa, multi-entry or any other kind. When you get a retirement extension you must buy a "re-entry permit" (this is what they are called: they are not visas) if you want to leave the country and keep the extended permission to stay active. Even if your original visa was a multi-entry visa, once you are on an extension you must buy a re-entry permit to be able to leave the country.

Re-entry permits  themselves can be single entry, for one trip in and out, or multi entry, for unlimited trips during the period of your extension.

Very helpful post it explains a lot and explains  a lot for me but can you tell me if it is the same for an extension based on marriage

Yes, identical rules apply for re-entry permits for an extension based on marriage.

strange that you did not notice

sad in this day & age that they cannot just fine you and let you in ...

why oh why do you need, when you followed all the paper work to stay here, an extra re-entry permit,  except for the PROFITS made of it

• Like 1

In response to this comment by sandyf 

Consulate staff can use any terminology they wish, a bit arrogant to say otherwise.

I'm sorry, but what I wrote is actually correct, anyone can apply for a Non-Immigrant category 'O' visa.  Maybe I didn't word the rest as perfectly as I might, what I meant was that if you don't satisfy certain criteria then you won't be issued with one, as most people would understand if they read what I wrote. And you're using this term 'retirement visa' again. How can you satisfy the criteria for something that doesn't exist?  That said, even the Thai Embassy website refers to retirement visas http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php so I despair and actually, if you'd care to read what they have written, you will see there is no mention of being over 65 with a state pension as part of the criteria, so you are wrong again.  As for my being arrogant with regards to the terminology of the consular staff, I would expect them to use the correct terminology and if that's being arrogant, then arrogant I am. 

Edited by mikosan

In response to this comment by sandyf 

I'm sorry, but what I wrote is actually correct, anyone can apply for a Non-Immigrant category 'O' visa.  Maybe I didn't word the rest as perfectly as I might, what I meant was that if you don't satisfy certain criteria then you won't be issued with one, as most people would understand if they read what I wrote. And you're using this term 'retirement visa' again. How can you satisfy the criteria for something that doesn't exist?  That said, even the Thai Embassy website refers to retirement visas http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php so I despair and actually, if you'd care to read what they have written, you will see there is no mention of being over 65 with a state pension as part of the criteria, so you are wrong again.  As for my being arrogant with regards to the terminology of the consular staff, I would expect them to use the correct terminology and if that's being arrogant, then arrogant I am. 

Your comments only apply to the Thai consulate in Hull, U.K.,  and are not applicable in many other situations -- that is the reason for the confusion.  There are many ways to get a non-O visa both inside Thailand or in your home country. 

It's called using your brain.

Woopy doo, get you.

Seriously Thai visa rules and regs are a total nightmare. Just read the threads on here, not many people have a clue about anything.

And please the argument about your own counties rules... How many people would have a clue about what visa they would need to have in their own country?

I'm English I lived in England for 50 years, I never had to get a visa to live in England, I just did it. Pray tell me why I should know what visa I would need to live in England.

You're English and you think you need a visa to live there?  And you're quite right, not many people on here do seem to have a clue about anything.  

And the reason Thai Immi regs seem confusing to you is because for you, you certainly don't seem to have much of a brain.  :-)