Where to advertise small shop?

bamboozled

Hello fellow CMers,

I've just opened a small shop selling leather goods and various accoutrements in the old city near Chang Phuak gate. It is down a small soi just off Sriphum Rd and I would like to do some advertising to let visitors to CM know I exist and would appreciate any advise on where and how to do it. I have Citylife on my list and am trying to remember the name of that small envelope-size monthly that one sees around town with enticing ads from various local vendors. I believe it's called Lanna something-or-other. Above that, there is the back of Tuk tuks or songtaews (approach the individual drivers?). I suppose I could ask (i.e. pay?) individual guesthouses/hotels to display an ad/flyer for me. Anybody know a skywriting service to fly over Huay Tung Taew?

As for advertising on TV, I'm certainly not against it but am thinking that it is more viable for long-stayers than for tourists. Is my thinking correct?

All advise appreciated.

Che-che-che-cheers!

Maybe pay someone to dish out flyers at the airport to arriving passengers?

And don't forget to have a Chinese translation as well. And in that, call your shop the "Extremely Lucky for Chinese people Leather Goods Emporium".

And don't forget to get one of those Chinese Lucky Cats.

Huge market these days.

• Like 2

Maybe pay someone to dish out flyers at the airport to arriving passengers?

And don't forget to have a Chinese translation as well. And in that, call your shop the "Extremely Lucky for Chinese people Leather Goods Emporium".

And don't forget to get one of those Chinese Lucky Cats.

Huge market these days.

If you translate it into Chinese, I would suggest using Traditional Characters.

Chinese people are more traditional than westerners.

• Like 1

You're getting the cart before the horse.

First you have to develop a marketing plan. Advertising is just one part of the marketing plan. Who are your customers? Tourists, locals, what nationalities, ages, what needs to they have, income level, etc, etc. Why would they want to visit your shop? Then you figure out the best way to communicate with them.

As Eyecatcher mentioned, paid advertising is often the most expensive and least credible way of communicating with potential customers. FB and e-newsletters are cheap and have more credibility, esp. if you want to cultivate repeat customers. The stuff you're selling lends itself to great photo images -- wonderful FB material. I would think Thai people would be a big part of your market. Doesn't your Thai partner do FB? Be sure have a cute pet as a mascot hanging around the shop, too. More FB fodder, to show the pet lounging on your stock.

You're down a small soi. That location is a killer. You need to have a good map, in several languages, to put on FB, a website (if you do one) and whatever ads you buy.

Also, don't overlook the basics. Post your open hours on your shop door and in all your promotional material. Be sure someone who knows their stuff is around at all times during your open hours. Nothing kills repeat business or word-of-mouth like someone making a special trip to your shop only to find it closed (when it was suppose to be open) or finding it staffed by someone playing with her phone and not being able to answer basic questions about the stock. Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Why not start with an advert on here and Chiang Mai News classifieds and remember the pics ! Everyone wants to see pics

Then there is the Chiang Mai Community Church online newsletter.

All 3 of these are free !

Difficult to say what the market would be unless we know the products.

• Like 1

You're getting the cart before the horse.

First you have to develop a marketing plan. Advertising is just one part of the marketing plan. Who are your customers? Tourists, locals, what nationalities, ages, what needs to they have, income level, etc, etc. Why would they want to visit your shop? Then you figure out the best way to communicate with them.

As Eyecatcher mentioned, paid advertising is often the most expensive and least credible way of communicating with potential customers. FB and e-newsletters are cheap and have more credibility, esp. if you want to cultivate repeat customers. The stuff you're selling lends itself to great photo images -- wonderful FB material. I would think Thai people would be a big part of your market. Doesn't your Thai partner do FB? Be sure have a cute pet as a mascot hanging around the shop, too. More FB fodder, to show the pet lounging on your stock.

You're down a small soi. That location is a killer. You need to have a good map, in several languages, to put on FB, a website (if you do one) and whatever ads you buy.

Also, don't overlook the basics. Post your open hours on your shop door and in all your promotional material. Be sure someone who knows their stuff is around at all times during your open hours. Nothing kills repeat business or word-of-mouth like someone making a special trip to your shop only to find it closed (when it was suppose to be open) or finding it staffed by someone playing with her phone and not being able to answer basic questions about the stock.

Totally agree.

Set yourself up a website if you don`t have one.  This can be done completely free on a Weebly or Google host. These sites are easy to create and publish, they have their own templates and pre-set designs. Can look very professional if designed properly and well presented. Also having a website will eventually get the shop listed in the search engines

Next as our NancyL says, set up a facebook page for the shop. Also worth considering is advertising the shop in the Thai visa classifieds and in the craigslist Thailand, Chiang Mai business sections, plus linking the website by advertising it in other free Thailand classified ads websites, there are scores of them online.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I've discovered many CM businesses don't have websites, but they are on FB. It's almost as if they've "leapfrogged" over the idea that having a website is necessary to running a good business, especially ones with a visual message -- like restaurants and retail shops. It's the way that some countries "leapfrogged" over having a big infrastructure of land-lines for phones and went straight to mobile phones or leapfrogged from a cash society to using mobile phones for banking.

Building a website can be daunting for someone who's never done it before, but I'd wager that the OP (or his Thai partner) already does FB. They probably should start there, before building a website. Properly done, FB can communicate the same info as a website and can be accessed by people who don't "do FB" if the FB page is set up properly.

In any event -- the point is there are many, many "free" ways for the OP to communicate with potential customers and build buzz. No need to start throwing money around at print publications (yet). First, build your message and refine your content with the free media before shelling out big baht for conventional media. Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

Yikes! A lot of good advice on here and a great ROI for me! Let me process it all and get back to you all soon. I've got to get to the shop and open that sucker. Later, I'll have PLENTY of time to respond while I'm whiling away the hours. My thumbs do get so tired from a twiddlin'...

Brick 'n mortar shop...............check.

Inventory.....................check.

Facebook page.........check.

Website..........check.

Customers................................................______.

Is the little shop big enough for a couple of small chairs and an espresso machine etc?.

If you are where I think you are from your description you get tourist walkers around there who get thirsty and can browse your stock while you prepare drinks for them to buy maybe?

Shop name and address on here might help you too!

• Like 1

"First you have to develop a marketing plan. Advertising is just one part of the marketing plan. Who are your customers? Tourists, locals, what nationalities, ages, what needs to they have, income level, etc, etc. Why would they want to visit your shop? Then you figure out the best way to communicate with them.

As Eyecatcher mentioned, paid advertising is often the most expensive and least credible way of communicating with potential customers."

"Set yourself up a website if you don`t have one.  This can be done completely free on a Weebly or Google host. These sites are easy to create and publish, they have their own templates and pre-set designs. Can look very professional if designed properly and well presented. Also having a website will eventually get the shop listed in the search engines"

Yes, setting up a site is free but many people confuse building a site with building a business online. The best potential buyer's of someone's product come thru organic search engine queries. Raking high will also not cost you ongoing money resources on paid advertisement, albeit it will cost you time in getting ranked high. Usually, for most people, buidling an online business requires an easy-to-follow, detailed, proven, ethical website business system (not a get rich quick scheme) to get (1) a significant amount of traffic and get (2) targeted traffic (example of such a system that's even taught at universities: IncredibleFreedom.com). Otherwise you'll end up having (and building) only a webSITE but not a webBUSINESS.

• Like 1

Don't forget to get yourself a place marker on Google maps - especially important given your location. Make sure it is right the first time - it took a friend months to get his place marker moved by Google after accidentally supplying the wrong co-ordinates.

Good luck with the new business.

• Like 1

Is the little shop big enough for a couple of small chairs and an espresso machine etc?.

If you are where I think you are from your description you get tourist walkers around there who get thirsty and can browse your stock while you prepare drinks for them to buy maybe?

Shop name and address on here might help you too!

Brilliant idea, but don't buy the cheap stuff.  Buy Lavazza coffee beans and put a sign outside saying your making Lavazza coffee (I'm sure they'll help you out with some artwork you could get printed locally for next to nothing).  I've never seen one in CM, it wound not bother me if I did as I have an espresso and plenty of Lavazza, but if I'm in another town I very rarely drink coffee because it usually isn't that good.  The sight of a Lavazza sign would set something off in my brain that said 'WANT......NOW'   coffee1.gif

• Like 1

That's a def for google maps. Espresso machine's not a bad idea but they're quite expensive. What I'm seeing is a far number of tourists walking around the sois...but not my soi. So even if I had drinks or even dancing girls, if they're not meandering by they're not meandering in. So it doesn't seem I will get so many walk-ins as things stand right now. 

Bought my Espresso online from Verasu- fast cheap shipping, great value, and brilliant little machine-Buono. Not costly. And in my view Hilkoff Peaberry beans make better coffee than Lavazza but that brand has more pull. You are near the wonderful Hilkoff shop, so worth as look, and taste some great coffee there. But hard to come out of there empty-handed, with a full wallet!

Best of luck

• Like 1

What I'm seeing is a far number of tourists walking around the sois...but not my soi. So even if I had drinks or even dancing girls, if they're not meandering by they're not meandering in. So it doesn't seem I will get so many walk-ins as things stand right now. 

Ok, that's what one poster was referring to as the cart before the horse.
You need to check out the location before you commit.
However all is not lost. It now means you need to get a couple or three flags/ j flags advertising your place at the end of the soi.
create an "eyecatcher" design and get them printed up for around 400 /600 apiece, sorted.
  • Like 1

We knew the place did not have a lot of foot traffic and that it would take some time to get the word out. The cart is not before the horse, I don't believe. Just the cart may have square wheels. But it's an inexpensive place to get the feet wet and I like the vibe. I don't have the money for a pricer local. If it really proves an endeavor in futility we can bail without too much loss. Mostly time.

There are shops/cafes all over CM in the most unlikely places. And I see people in them! I don't get how it works but somehow, for some folks, it DOES work.

Eyecatcher, has high season hit you or are we at mid?

cheers........

It's definitely one of the low season months, the trouble with low season it's like a double whammy you obviously get less tourists coming in but they are a different quality of tourist. They tend to be the ones who don't spend high, fill up the cheaper accommodation, choose the cheapest from the menus and of course backpackers.
I am not criticising that difference and they are favoured by many businesses.
But from my analysis of my customers count June and february were the two worst isolated months over a three year period and this coincides with Govt turmoil and june when the coup started.
But everything back to normal in July and August so the wheels are back on the bus for us, and I hope for everyone.
It's good to start in low season, you have more time to develop your product and always live in anticipation that come october you are ready to fly.
  • Like 1

I have been here for years but have lost all perspective on what is high and low season. There doesn't seem to be the clearly defined periods that there were years ago. I remember CM seemed a ghost town around the moat in the low season years ago (not talking August but May/June). I don't get that feeling anymore at all.