What kinds of birds are we allowed to keep?

jvs

A few months ago a friend of mine brought us a wounded bird,it was still very young and was attacked by a cat.

One wing was nearly bitten of and there was a bad infection.

We nursed him back to health and named him (or her) Euro.

Now he is healthy but he will never be able to fly so we keep him inside.

It is a Indian Roller and member of the crow family.

So far so good but am i actually allowed to keep him?I mean legally?

There must be a list of birds(animals) that shows what kinds we are allowed to have in possession.

I hope some one can help us find out.

There is a law and a definitive list. I would need to find it.

However I believe you can keep 2 of any bird even if it is on the list.

Indian Roller is a common bird and unlikely to be on any conservation list.

The Wildlife Reservation and Protection Act (1960) restricts the capture and trade of virtually all species of bird in Thailand.

Since you are not trading or capturing and you have less than the exception limit (no more than 2 of any species) you do not seem to be in breach of the act. This legislation is very poorly enforced.

My info may be out of date.

i wouldn't lose any sleep over it . . . you did a great service and saved the poor birds life, well done!

As for wild birds (Thailand) that you're allowed to have in your possesion . . . well it's a grey area, mostly ignored. But what i do know for sure is that there are some that you absolutely cannot under any circumstances 'keep'. One is the Gurney's Pitta, another is the Sarus Crane. 

I rescued a featherless baby Zebra Dove which I think had fallen out of the nest and was being eaten by red ants. I fed it with milk and cereal and it is still thriving after about fifteen years.I could not release it as I had hand fed it. Recently I removed a bird trap from my land which someone had set and it contained a Bulbul as bait and a Shrika Hawk which was after the bait. I released them and confiscated the trap. Snaring birds is very common here and I doubt whether anyone is prosecuted for doing it. In my opinion it is extremely unlikely that you would have a problem with the law, and good for you to rescue the Indian Roller. What are you feeding it on as their diet is lizards, snakes and suchlike? Good luck! 

We are feeding him mealworms and gekko's if we can catch one.He starts calling loudly when he sees a gekko and we try to catch them.

He also eats any kind of insect we give him and sometimes he likes a bit of canned dog food.

Earthworms are really hard to find now because it is very dry but once the rain comes we should be able to feed him those also.

• Like 1