Are the ATMs Truly Free to Use for Thai Accounts?

I have a savings account at Bangkok Bank, but because there is no ATM from them next to my location, I frequently use ATMs of the other banks because they say on the last screen that there is no fee.

But as I walk away I always wonder if I'm being sneakily charged some fee despite what the screen says. Anyone know if the ATMs are truly free for Thai Bank accounts at other banks?

Edited by Hal65

I think this is still correct.     If your account is in Bangkok then all your ATM transactions, using the Bangkok Bank ATM's are free.     If you go outside of Bangkok, say Pattaya, then even if you use a Bangkok Bank ATM you will be charged a small fee, maybe B5?     Now if in Bangkok I think you get 5 free uses of other banks ATM's per month then they hit you with a small service fee.    

I thought it was 3 free uses (with other bank's ATM's) and then they charge 15 baht. K-Bank.

You're probably right.   It's been quite a while since I was hit with the fee as I always stick with the Bangkok Bank ATM.

As said in same area ATM use is free for same bank ATM. At lest the first three at ATM Pool (almost all Thai banks) are also fee each month - but that may have changed to all recently.

TMB bank cards can use any ATM in any region of Thailand free of charge.
Lopburi is correct about all the other bank cards.

Go to this Bangkok Bank webpage/fee table and then scroll down to the heading titled "ATM Services" which identifies the different times a fee may be applied.  It can get a little complicated depending on whether the withdrawal is inter/intra-region or provinice, whether the ATM being used is part of the National ATM Pool, etc. And any fee applied would appear on your ATM receipt and/or your Bangkok Bank passbook/statement. 

• Like 1

It takes a degree to understand these tables biggrin.png

Region = Bangkok Metropolitan Area (don't ask me for the definiton)

Region or province is determined by the branch where the account is held.

Inside the region or province:

At Bangkok Bank ATM: free

At pool ATM: four withdrawls free, 10 Baht from the 5th

Outside the region or province:

At Bangkok Bank ATM: 15 Baht

At pool ATM: 20 Baht

The pool consists of 22 Thai banks. All majors included.

A prominent outsider: AEON, although they have joined the other banks in cashing 150 Baht fee for foreign cards.

AEON ATMs are rare and you should NOT use them with other Thai bank ATM cards.

• Bangkok Bank
  • Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives BAAC
  • Bank of Ayudhya (Krungsri)
  • Bank of China Limited, Bangkok Branch
  • CIMB Thai Bank
  • Citibank, N.A. (CITI)
  • Government Housing Bank GHB
  • Government Savings Bank GSB
  • Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
  • Islamic Bank of Thailand IBANK
  • Kasikornbank
  • Kiatnakin Bank
  • Krung Thai Bank
  • Land and Houses Bank
  • Siam Commercial Bank
  • Standard Chartered Bank
  • Thai Credit Retail Bank
  • Thanachart Bank
  • The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
  • TISCO Bank
  • TMB Bank
  • United Overseas Bank

Source: https://www.itmx.co.th (their website certificate is not in order, a warning will be shown)

Edited by KhunBENQ

This is off-topic, but regards ATMs and a bewildering experience I had today (a holiday Monday): I went to my local (Rimping) supermarket at 11:00. In front is a Bangkok Bank ATM. I inserted my Canada bank card. It said in effect that I was over my limit and could not withdraw. I inserted my Bangkok Bank card. It said that I had exhausted my limit for the day. (I had not used my card yet that day). I drove to a nearby Bangkok Bank, closed of course for the holiday. At 11:15 I inserted my BB card and was able to withdraw. I next inserted my Canada card and was able to withdraw my maximum 25K (150 baht charge). Same Bangkok Bank, different ATMs, 15 minutes apart. I am stumped as to how to explain this.

Edited by Seligne2

This is off-topic, but regards ATMs and a bewildering experience I had today (a holiday Monday): I went to my local (Rimping) supermarket at 11:00. In front is a Bangkok Bank ATM. I inserted my Canada bank card. It said in effect that I was over my limit and could not withdraw. I inserted my Bangkok Bank card. It said that I had exhausted my limit for the day. (I had not used my card yet that day). I drove to a nearby Bangkok Bank, closed of course for the holiday. At 11:15 I inserted my BB card and was able to withdraw. I next inserted my Canada card and was able to withdraw my maximum 25K (150 baht charge). Same Bangkok Bank, different ATMs, 15 minutes apart. I am stumped as to how to explain this.

Rimping ATM was out of cash but couldnt lose face by admitting it. This is the traditional way of not losing face in Thai culture..........Lying whistling.gif !

• Like 2

The first Bangkok Bank ATM you encountered could simply have either been offline, out of cash, or the first Canadian Card created an issue when the machine tried to do a foreign authentication and caused the machine to displayed erroneous messages for future card sessions.

OR the ATM was a stand-alone unit (not mounted in a wall) it could have been a fake decoy used to take a Card ID and a User PIN.  

You should definitely check your transaction logs over the next several weeks to see if any unusual activity has occurred.

• Like 1

As said communications issue most likely.  Magic word - holiday - most things do not work right in Thailand on holidays as management is having a day off.  You may also notice a lot more power failures/dirty changeovers on holidays and many websites down.

• Like 1

Over this 4 day weekend I have experienced a higher number than normal of dirty electrical switchovers/those one or two seconds of loss power as the electric company balances loads in the area. I think Sunday morning it happened 3 times. I'm in western Bangkok.

Sent from my Samsung S4
  • Like 1

Just for information , I have a Krungsri  (Bank of Ayudhya ) ALL ATM Card ( black color ). I paid 500 B for 3 years .

This card has no fee for any branch and for  any Bank in Thailand.

Very useful , if I want to get to an ATM , I just go to the first one I see...... I .never worry about the Bank or the province.

• Like 1

I thought it was 3 free uses (with other bank's ATM's) and then they charge 15 baht. K-Bank.

You're probably right.   It's been quite a while since I was hit with the fee as I always stick with the Bangkok Bank ATM.

I also think it's 3...   'Didn't even know about those until one day all of K-banks ATMs were empty and a branch person told me I could use one of the other banks' ATMs for free.  The 2nd time it happened they also happened to mention the limit of 3.  I don't know if that's 3 for life, 3 per month/yr, or what...

I had to get a new Bangkok Bank card a few months ago. It's supposedly 'chip and pin" and can only be used (at that time) in Bangkok Bank ATMs. I may try the ATM at TMB, which is just outside the condo where I live.

Before getting the new card, I generally was not for using a TMB ATM though there was the occasional 20 baht charge which may have been due to the number of withdrawals made exceeding the limit. There was a 15 baht charge for using a Bangkok Bank ATM in Udon Thani but I'm certain I've used the card in Rayong with no fee.

Incidentally, whenever I make use my card to withdraw funds, I always take a mini statement.

Alan

I had to get a new Bangkok Bank card a few months ago. It's supposedly 'chip and pin" and can only be used (at that time) in Bangkok Bank ATMs. I may try the ATM at TMB, which is just outside the condo where I live.

And I think you will still find that the situation that your Bangkok Bank Be1st chip card can only be used in chip-capable ATMs which only Bangkok Bank uses right now.  I've read a few news articles that other Thai banks are planning/starting to upgrade their ATMs to use chipped-card technology and Bank of Thailand is pushing the banks to do so, but I don't think the other banks have made much progress (probably intentionally due to the upgrade cost involved).  

Since to withdraw cash the Be1st "chipped" card can only be used in Bangkok Bank ATMs that's the main reason I've stuck to their non-chipped card so I can use the card in any Thai bank ATM.    Sure I may be giving up some security skimming-wise in using a non-chipped card that is still the primary type of card in many countries like the U.S. but I would prefer to have the capability to use my card in any Thai bank ATM since Bangkok Bank ATMs may not be close by/out of cash/inop when you really need some cash (has happened too many times over the years)...prevents the need to go looking for another Bangkok Bank ATM somewhere with "that somewhere" possibly not being close by....just use another Thai bank ATM that probably setting right next to the inop Bangkok Bank ATM.  By hey, that's just me.

For the first few - 3 or 4 - non-BBL ATM withdrawals, yes. Then it's 10B a time. BoT regulations.

It's not BoT regulations; just happens to be the fee structures of Thai banks...and the fees vary somewhat from bank to bank...not much, but somewhat.  

Anytime I've used an ATM that happened to charge a withdrawal fee because it was an inter-region/province withdrawal and/or a different bank than where I keep my money I got hit with a withdrawal fee of usually Bt20...once or twice Bt15...all depends on the bank owning the ATM, where in Thailand you are making the withdrawal, whether its an ATM of the bank where you keep you money or not, whether the ATM is part of the ATM National Pool, etc.  Since you mentioned you seen Bt10, then that's another fee difference showing the various fee levels which a person can experience at different ATMs owned by different banks.  But the highest fee I've ever experienced for an ATM withdrawal within Thailand with my Bangkok Bank debit card is Bt20.