Bars Trading as usual on Tuesday 12th?

Mobi

I have little doubt that those who absolutely must find solace in a bar tomorrow will be able to do so - they may simply find themselves sitting in the dark with no music of any description, but horses for courses. Anyone who strolled down Buakhow on Asalha Bucha Day will know what I'm on about. I did try to contact my one unimpeachable source in the bars but she claimed she was too busy running her bar (!) to worry about that right now. Gotta love people who live in the moment, 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have little doubt that those who absolutely must find solace in a bar tomorrow will be able to do so - they may simply find themselves sitting in the dark with no music of any description, but horses for courses. Anyone who strolled down Buakhow on Asalha Bucha Day will know what I'm on about. I did try to contact my one unimpeachable source in the bars but she claimed she was too busy running her bar (!) to worry about that right now. Gotta love people who live in the moment, 

Tomorrow is not a Buddhist holiday.

The bars will be fully open or they will be closed.

No sitting in the dark avoiding the cops.

We have been informed by the local constabulary  that the bars in Nongprue will be allowed to open, so that is that as far as I am concerned.

It is business as usual all bars will be open, music playing drinks flowing. If you think otherwise you are a newbie to Thailand.

Given that I've been living in Pattaya for all of 3 months, despite many trips to the city as a weekend warrior, I'll take that on the chin. I actually prefer bars with no music, but that's a topic for another thread. Let's get out there and enjoy everything this day has to offer, shall we ?  

With all due respect, I'm looking for hard facts, not speculation.

As I said, for the past 5 years in a row there has been no bar closure order on the Queen's birthday.

Look here:

http://www.boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/

Things may be different this year due to the current political situation, but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks smile.png

"With all due respect, I'm looking for hard facts, not speculation."

And yet you asked the question here at the hub of speculation, gossip and rumor mongering.

According to this (reliable??) source, there is no mandated bar closing ... but I imagine some bar owners may close to allow their staff to celebrate mothers' day.

http://www.boomboomme.com/resources/holidays/thailand/

The Queens birthday was yesterday, August 11th. No bars were closed. Nor will they be closed on the 12th. Just another day.

The 11th was a holiday connected to the Queen's birthday, but her official birthday and the concurrent celebration of Mothers' Day in Thailand is the 12th, as it has been for many, many years.  Try to keep up.

Longer-holiday-proposed-for-celebration-

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

The Queens birthday was yesterday, August 11th. No bars were closed. Nor will they be closed on the 12th. Just another day.

The 11th was a holiday connected to the Queen's birthday, but her official birthday and the concurrent celebration of Mothers' Day in Thailand is the 12th, as it has been for many, many years.  Try to keep up.

Longer-holiday-proposed-for-celebration-

Fresh group of bar room punters.tongue.png

There has been no official notice that I know of and, anyway, each municipality seemingly can decide themselves how to act upon any notice if it is given. My advice is unless your local police (municipal or other) have told you differently then you can open as usual. They are usually very late in issuing instructions because they themselves get those instructions at the last minute from higher up.

The trouble is, if we call and ask they'll probably say 'close' just like they did in the Curfew when they told us to close all day....

It seems that if asked, they will give you a negative to cover their backs, because they don't yet know themselves; but if we wait to be told, we'll get the official line.

For those who suggested it, this is why we do not call to ask...

Nothing is as it seems in Thailand.

Open as usual in Pattaya mate.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why try to find out here?

Put a phone call through to your local cop-shop. They will know as they will be the enforcers.

Surprised you didn't think of it yourself.

In all honesty, he/she may not know yet who is in charge of the bar scene. Some still think they "own" said bars and decide when/if to open, where to buy their liqueur etc.. The Thai's control the booze and the hours and just about everything else including the prostitution and prices.

In all honesty, Mobi is doing what I would have done as well. Finding out what days you are allowed to be open and what days you are not isn't as easy as it sounds.

I, rather the wife was running a bar for almost 13 years and we never knew what days we were meant to be closed. That was with contacting the police and city hall, none could ever give a long term positive answer. We relied on our booze distributer for when we were meant to be closed, ie, when they were allowed to sell and when they were not.

Granted, that was not Jomtien or Pattaya, but can understand it would be the same for an individual premises.

Edit: And to add, the Queen's birthday for the last 5 years where I am is a no-drink day, so it is not a national standard that is followed.

Edited by chrisinth

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

?? Queen's birthday is the 12th. The 11th was stated as a 'link day' so people could have the 4 day weekend.

What a pity, you would have thought it would be nice to allow bars to open so one could toast the the Queens good health.

They're open in most places. Just some kind hearted bar owners giving their staff Mother's Day off.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app