Would you Still Enjoy Thailand if You had No Access to the Internet?

Havrum

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The thing that gets my goat, is it seems like everybody spends all their free time with their I phone stuck to their face. It's a wonder that more folks don't fall into open man holes.

Its a pity more people don't fall into open manholes.....................tongue.png

• Like 1

"What would life be like for you if you had no access to the internet?"

Since Microsoft released Windows 95 and made it available for average households, computers have changed the world. Since ISP's (in Thailand) provided workable dial-up internet connections in the late 90's life has become reliant on the internet. The introduction and advancement of mobile networks has changed not only lives but lifestyle as well.

To answer the OP honestly, no, I couldn't live without it. But it would be nice to be able to do a space jump back to the 80's to remember what it was like.

It would also get rid of the problems of visas for the self named 'digital nomads'.....................tongue.png

short answer from me would be yes, we only got internet in our house for when im away so i can talk to the wife and kids on skype,

but saying that google has tought us loads about pig farming,,lol, i wasnt a pig farmer till thailand

jake

I thought foreigners weren't allowed to be farmers. Does the rule only apply to foreigners who want to make money from farming?

short answer from me would be yes, we only got internet in our house for when im away so i can talk to the wife and kids on skype,

but saying that google has tought us loads about pig farming,,lol, i wasnt a pig farmer till thailand

jake

I thought foreigners weren't allowed to be farmers. Does the rule only apply to foreigners who want to make money from farming?

hi benj,

its my wifes farm and land,

i just live there with my wife and children,

we also have ducks, chickens, geese, fish, budgies and pigeons, not to mention the dogs,

and yes it does make money,

we have aprox 120 pigs of different ages and sell at least 20 to the market every month,

so my wife has a good little business

• Like 2

I dated an odd woman that I met on Compuserve in 1980. Not much basically has changed. The INTERNET was invented for sex and I think the majority its use is still about sex. Not on Thai Visa of course but everywhere else.

Edited by thailiketoo

Have been using the internet (small i) since the late '70s when it was the ARPANET before becoming the Internet (capital I). Our research computers used DECNET internally and to the campus network which in turn was on Arpanet. So it is ingrained in me for a long time. Any new computers added we had to manually enter the name and IP into our computer server as there was no proper DNS and a hosts.txt file was distributed to us when changes were made.

Being a researcher in Thailand Internet is crucial for my and my colleagues work. I enjoy my work in Thailand thus without Internet, probably would enjoy it here less. But fortunately it is an academic question and can continue happily on here. smile.png

• Like 1

My second year here I was without computer, internet as well as TV. I used to read at least a book a day and fill the rest of my time with other nice activities, sometimes I think I would like to go back to that lifestyle.

Edited by Kaalle

I never had internet until 2003. The years before that were great. More time spent with my wife and children.

I was addicted to it about 5 years ago but now spend little time on it unless there is not much else to do.

I find it sad to see people online all the time on this forum, some with young kids, but I can understand it. I neglected my family at times because of my internet addiction but am making amends now. Was even addicted to this forum but had over 1 year without posting a thing which put everything into perspective.

I have a wonderful house, garden and family to enjoy. Unlike other addictions, I can still pot in moderation these days and the same with online games and social sites like facebook are evil, i stay away.

Get off- phone a friend, go for a walk, prune the pappaya, talk to the neighbour's dog, go fishing, play golf, have a soapy. Internet sucks.

• Like 1

I spend a large part of the day on/off the internet -- when I first started doing legal work back in the 80's you had to sit in a law library to access materials. Now I can take part in international diplomacy and legal issues around the world that relate to NGO activities in USA -- all of which started from my volunteering in Thailand for a Foundation under Patronage of HM The King.

So the answer is probably: NO.

OP is asking a silly question really. It doesnt matter where you live in this world, you would still use the internet in the same way. If you have time to be online 10 hours daily then fine, it's up to you. But I would enjoy Thailand just as much in the 1980's , before the invention of internet.

BTW I grew up in a golfing family. No further comment.

So did I, 15 minutes walk from the 6th oldest golf club in the world.

A round of golf there on a summers day or when the leaves are falling from the large trees is better than having a double soapy at Chuwit's best parlour, with a Cuban cigar and a large plate of Yam Pla Dook Foo, listening to Carabao. It's pretty close mind you.

Edited by Neeranam

I was on the pc far more in my home country, due to work.Now i can read a newspaper for free,and relax when ever i want.If i didnt have access to a pc, tough luck,one could say that about any country, one retires too.

Edited by Bernard Flint

BTW I grew up in a golfing family. No further comment.

So did I, 15 minutes walk from the 6th oldest golf club in the world.

A round of golf there on a summers day or when the leaves are falling from the large trees is better than having a double soapy at Chuwit's best parlour, with a Cuban cigar and a large plate of Yam Pla Dook Foo, listening to Carabao. It's pretty close mind you.

You can have the golf and the cigar; I'll go with Chuwit's. From all I've read I might have liked you better when you were a junkie.

After 4 yrs in Issan village am I just now hooking up internet. Before, when out riding around I'd stop by internet shop a few times per week. The only reson I have it now isn't for myself but for the 11 yr. old step-son. I realize he needs to become computor savvy, also my 3 yr. old needs it.

It's disturbing to see Thai families at restaurants with their eyes glued to cel-phones and i-pads, no conversation.

• 5 months later...

It is really hard to compare 20 years ago to today. Today we do have the internet and if you have experience with it back home then i would think it would be very hard not to have it now. I think it ads more to the experience, more information you are able to get much fast. Makes you better prepared for coming here and living here.

Good topic.

Just recently I was thinking about how much I use the internet for many things that make living here so convenient.

1) free communication with friends and family in my home country.......long distance phone calls would cost a fortune!

2) Access to news and information about Thailand and the western world via sites like TV..

3) Entertainment, Access to English language movies and music via sites like Youtube.

These three things alone make life much more comfortable for me living in Thailand.

I can only imagine what life was like for expats in Thailand or any foreign country before the internet was available.