TEACHING ON A RETIREMENT VISA...A NO NO?

Hi everyone,

Since I am bored like many and I was thinking of doing something useful and make a few bucks at the same time 

I thought teaching English might do the trick. So I did some research and discovered that you can teach after getting a

TEFL certificate and that this is more or less tolerated without a work permit. A TEFL school in Bangkok guaranties

a job upon completion. So I have been in discussions with a few schools (TEFL) and all encourage you to go for their course and all

say don't worry about the work permit! One even told me my NON IMMIGRANT RETIREMENT visa would be perfect ably suited

for teaching!! 

​I would really like comments on this for I am really worried of working under a retirement visa with no chance of getting

a work permit due no degree in teaching. I invite comments from people who are especially teaching without a work permit!

Apparently there are quite a few doing this, over 70% of present teachers teaching English apparently don't have a work permit!

Is this true? With all the checking underway by the new management of Mr. Prayuth this is something to worry about...oh but they would 

never throw out the teachers without work permit...there would not be any teachers remaining after this filtering...I am told!!!

Edited by gillap

I have removed a few off topic and unhelpful posts.

As said you cannot work without a work permit.

You could possibley take the tefel course and find work as volunteer without a degree and get a work permit. But in most parts of the country you will not be able to get the work permit with your retirement extension.

You could possibley take the tefel course and find work as volunteer without a degree and get a work permit. But in most parts of the country you will not be able to get the work permit with your retirement extension.

is it legal to volunteer teach?

With a work permit it is legal.

With a work permit it is legal.

oh, thanks

I fully understand someone wanting to do something useful even though on an annual retirement extension. If someone has that extension, presumably they are also relatively OK financially, as it requires 65,000 month or 800,000 in the bank. Therefore, perhaps it's better to forget about teaching jobs and leave them for those who really need to find paid work in order to stay here. It's a personal choice, but I find the concept of 'retiring' and being tied down to a Thai classroom including out of hours prep time, quite strange.

• Like 1

and that this is more or less tolerated without a work permit.

No it isn't, if they catch you you will be fined, deported and blacklisted.

How many teachers do you know, or even heard of, that have been deported and blacklisted ?

In 20 years I know NONE. 

OP keep it quiet and you'll not be hassled. Don't work full-time but.

I know a few retired guys working in Universities.

Edited by Neeranam

No one has ever been deported for teaching without a work permit. Fined yes. Stop scaremongering.

It is illegal to do any work at all on a retirement visa.

Many do go under the radar. TEFL courses make money selling the dream.

No way are 70% of all teachers working illegally. My guess would be more like 20-30%. 

If you have degree and can get the work permit legally, you could always change your visa from retirement to work if you want to work full time and get sponsored by the school.

If you are just looking to fill your schedule to keep from boredom, I suggest find a different hobby. Teaching shouldn't be a part time hobby.

If you want to break the law and do what others suggest, go ahead. You won't have any problems, but if you are a lawful person and follow rules even if you don't get caught then change your visa.

• Like 2

I have heard of situations where people teaching without WPs were arrested and fined and told to stop doing what they were doing. They weren't deported, however. But this was before the current regime and they did as they were told -- stopped teaching (at least at the place where they'd been caught)

I suggest the OP talk with a few people who are actually working as teachers before he signs on to take that TEFL course. It doesn't seem like a pleasant way to spend one's retirement, to me.
  • Like 2

How many teachers do you know, or even heard of, that have been deported and blacklisted ?

In 20 years I know NONE. 

Easy to say when you're not gambling with your own visa, extension or money etc..under the current regime I would advice with proceeding with extreme caution. It has been said by the current regime it is this illeagal working they have been aiming to stop.

The op can easily achieve what he desires by getting the correct paperwork and not having to look over his shoulder.

• Like 1

If the OP is married to a Thai national he might like to consider going down that route for future visas/extensions of stay since he would then, in theory, be able to obtain the necessary work permit in a legitimate manner.

• Like 1

No degree and no work permit, but another one who thinks these things are not important! The OP probably has a non immigrant O visa extended, mine is stamped with employment prohibited. How can you consider working if you are on a retirement 'visa'? 

• Like 1

It is pretty stupid to lure somebody in a false sense of safety with the current crackdown.
  • Like 1

In 20 years I know NONE. 

That's really good to advise someone to work illegally just because you are not aware ofothers with problems.  Maybe the OP will be the first one you hear about!

"In 20 years I know NONE."   You mean in 20 years of teaching without a work permit?  I can't imagine anyone with a WP recommending to others in the same job to work illegally.

No one has ever been deported for teaching without a work permit. Fined yes. Stop scaremongering.

No way are 70% of all teachers working illegally. My guess would be more like 20-30%. 

If you have degree and can get the work permit legally, you could always change your visa from retirement to work if you want to work full time and get sponsored by the school.

If you are just looking to fill your schedule to keep from boredom, I suggest find a different hobby. Teaching shouldn't be a part time hobby.

If you want to break the law and do what others suggest, go ahead. You won't have any problems, but if you are a lawful person and follow rules even if you don't get caught then change your visa.

"If you want to break the law and do what others suggest, go ahead. You won't have any problems,"  What?

I can't imagine why anyone would give this kind of irresponsible advice.

To work in Thailand you need a "B" visa and a work permit - they are interdependent.

Schools are going to be looking for teachers who can stay in the country......those who used to come on 30 day extensions or tourist visas are going to find visa runs increasingly difficult.......these teachers often made their money on private lessons or evening classes in industry etc. the other  teachers they use are those working at government schools who need extra cash doing the evening work.

The problem is that the schools dealing in this market are not usually in a position to get their teachers a work permit so they will have either to pack up or get others prepared to risk it.

So.......are you prepare4d to risk it? If you are caught, you will most likely end up being deported.

what is needed is a change in the law for schools who of course require more foreign than Thai workers, then they will be able to offer WPs to their teachers.

I want to thank everyone for their responses which have been very illuminating. A special appreciation to Zeichen

for telling it all in a very orderly and detailed fashion! 

All have a good day and my very best regards!

"No way are 70% of all teachers working illegally. My guess would be more like 20-30%. "

i think that there aren't any figures to support any claims on percentages and all of this is down to "in my experience" which is the most unreliable source imaginable.

I DO think however that many teachers with WPs work illegally as they take other work outside the remit of their permits.

I bleieve a teacher was arrested and deported in a school in Pattaya several years back. I haven't checked the current guidelines for breaches of VISA and /or WORK PERMIT (two separate contraventions) but I can't see the current government being more lenient than their predecessors.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

"To work in Thailand you need a "B" visa and a work permit - they are interdependent."

Not true. You can work on a Non O marriage visa with a work permit. You can also get a work permit on the government G visa. There are a few other visas that allow for work.  But you are right that you need both a  proper non immigrant visa and a work permit to work legally.

The real issue is that this TEFL school is selling him a dream. The reality is though that he could easily switch visas and get a work permit if he desires to work as long as he fulfills the requirements. The school doesn't seem to care about legalities as much as it does with getting bodies in the chairs to turn a profit. If the people at the school don't know or care about the law, then what professional training on teaching are they going to offer?

Zeegator

"I can't imagine why anyone would give this kind of irresponsible advice."

One sentence out of context that you comment on seems like irresponsible reading to me.  I said that he should not and that he shouldn't do business with a school that suggests it to him. That it is easy to go through the proper channels and work legally. However, there is a lot of fear mongering about getting arrested and deported blah blah blah. I personally don't work illegally, I don't even speed, I don't break any laws ever. I also do realize that teaching short term without a work permit is a minor offense and has never been a major issue. In 15 years of teaching and reading Thai newspapers daily, I have never read a case where someone was arrested and deported. The worst I have ever heard was that a school was investigated (raided for the scaremongers) and 2 teachers were fined but the school paid some money and got them the proper paperwork 2 weeks later.

In CM most schools won't even do the paperwork for a work permit unless you are hired for a full year. I have turned down 3 jobs this month who didn't want to bother.  Some are private and some are government schools.

Hasn't there already been an announcement in the media that the junta is going to deal with the problem of illegal foreign teachers in Thailand?  The last crackdown resulted from the Swirly Face scandal when an American who claimed to have killed a little girl in the US was traced to a hi-so private girls school in Bkk where he was teaching English using qualifications purchased in Khao San Road.  He was extradited to Colorado but it soon emerged that the murder was only his fantasy because he had actually been in California at time but the damage was done and teachers without degrees were banned.  

So far penalties have been light but things could get worse.