Vinyl LP Records. Where can I sell?

ianf

Hold on to them - whatever they are worth now , they will be worth more in the future when you might need the dough.

I also have over 500 pristine rock albums including some very collectables - I put With the Beatles on Ebay last year and had an offer of 3k in 10 mins - didn't sell it though.

Alternatively , buy a turntable and enjoy the irreplaceable sounds.......

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr CharlieH,

Is this about 'the company' declining you warrant claim on your titanium TGAU, following your obvious misuse of the product ?

As I'm not sure of my return date home, I cannot mug Ian and I'm only aware of a few vinyl stores in Bkk, nothing up his way.

Perhaps you might like to do him a package deal, 5-600 pristine records could fetch as high as 300-700k baht, maybe a bit more depending on what's in the collection.

I'd love to get my hands on it, unfortunately that seems unlikely at this point in time sad.png

ps: Charlie, perhaps Ian needs an expert eye to run of his collection, For advice and guidance.

i have no doubt some of his albums would look great on my Linn LP12.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So you admit that you value, and want to pay, 1000 Bht each on average for the OP's complete collecton ?

The OP should take your offer without hesitation, and report back if you showed up with the money or not.

A simple search on any E-commerce site will show the price vinyl is going for these days.

Hold on to them - whatever they are worth now , they will be worth more in the future when you might need the dough.

I also have over 500 pristine rock albums including some very collectables - I put With the Beatles on Ebay last year and had an offer of 3k in 10 mins - didn't sell it though.

The reverse is true. Vinyl prices have been falling for a decade, ever since the rise of the web and especially ebay. Consequently, the first moment you feel like selling is the best moment to do it.

I sold my collection in the late 90s in London, and -- by sheer chance -- sold at the top of the market.

I am willing to buy all of them , I can also pay more than you will get from other TV posters. I am based in Pattaya but I can drive up to Chiang Mai any time.

Edited by balo

Mr ND, may I respectfully remind you of your companies statement and product sales literature ensuring the descretion and privacy of purchasers ! You have now made my purchase public knowledge and in direct infringement of ALL your companies guarantees and assurances.

I will now consult Messrs Roland,Gurbel & Rodant my legal advisors on this.

Ohhh no, not Messrs Roland, Gurbel & Rodant, the legal firm in which that I am a senior yet silent partner of.....this is going to get very expensive for you. ??????

Your money would be much better spent on buying some of Ian's vinyl. wink.png

I believe that 'Private Eye' often deals with a similar UK legal-company, called 'Sue, Grabbit & Runne' ?

Do you think they might be related ? rolleyes.gif

We have a "gay" law firm back home....."Patrick Fitzsimon and Simon Fitzpatrick"

• Like 1

I regularly buy vinyl when I am back in Australia on business trips and always the same shop Pacific Records. Might be worth taking a look at their web site to see what values they have on various titles. from my experience with them the price obviously varies depending on condition of both the cover and the record. I looked at some Led Zeppelin 4 last time and they had 3 copies that varied from AUD$15 - $35 so it is hard to tell. Most of the 60's and 70's vinyl he has is priced between $10 - $40 depending on condition and more importantly rarity. I did pick up a copy of Sgt Peppers that was released in the U.S. with the front cover embossed into the record in full colour. Brand new in a sealed sleeve and never played. I paid $65 for this but he dropped it from $100 as I had bought a few others records as well. There are quite a few re-releases on viny of classic records such as LedZep 4 and this tends to lower the value of the originals. Hope this helps. As for the guy offering $1.00 each , what a cheapskate, I would give you at least $1.25 each and pay for the delivery.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

PM'd you, although I really have to agree with cbluck58 - original analogue recorded vinyl will only continue to escalate in price. There is already a strong Asian market for analogue source components (we're talking about people who spend >$50,000 on a TT) and the Chinese market in particular is set to grow exponentially.

Given the money these guys are prepared to spend on their source equipment, it doesn't take much of a leap of faith to consider what they will be prepared to pay for good condition original pressings - and as these get ever more rare, this will obviously inflate the price further.

Thongkorn - is your collection mainly 45's or a mix? Interested!smile.png

Mr CharlieH,

Is this about 'the company' declining you warrant claim on your titanium TGAU, following your obvious misuse of the product ?

As I'm not sure of my return date home, I cannot mug Ian and I'm only aware of a few vinyl stores in Bkk, nothing up his way.

Perhaps you might like to do him a package deal, 5-600 pristine records could fetch as high as 300-700k baht, maybe a bit more depending on what's in the collection.

I'd love to get my hands on it, unfortunately that seems unlikely at this point in time sad.png

ps: Charlie, perhaps Ian needs an expert eye to run of his collection, For advice and guidance.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So you admit that you value, and want to pay, 1000 Bht each on average for the OP's complete collecton ?

The OP should take your offer without hesitation, and report back if you showed up with the money or not.

A simple search on any E-commerce site will show the price vinyl is going for these days.

I said nothing of the sort Jesse. It's there for all to see what I said, but if they are in pristine condition & depending on what there is, they could be worth up to those amounts.

Read what the OP said. Also read what I said, if I were in LOS ATM, I would be up to CM fast....opportunities like this don't come along every day.

I have more than 500 vinyl myself, many not in pristine value.

Analog recorded vinyl gets my interest EVERYTIME.

Do you understand Jesse.

I am willing to buy all of them , I can also pay more than you will get from other TV posters. I am based in Pattaya but I can drive up to Chiang Mai any time.

How you know how much one of the tens of thousands TV members is willing to pay for the collection ?

Mr CharlieH,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I said nothing of the sort Jesse. It's there for all to see what I said, but if they are in pristine condition & depending on what there is, they could be worth up to those amounts.

Read what the OP said. Also read what I said, if I were in LOS ATM, I would be up to CM fast....opportunities like this don't come along every day.

I have more than 500 vinyl myself, many not in pristine value.

Analog recorded vinyl gets my interest EVERYTIME.

Do you understand Jesse.

The typical salesman talk, I understand.

They are worth thousands mate, then when the seller holds on to them, yeah but these are only 100 Baht and then I'm generous biggrin.png

I've got 70/80 maybe more Lp's singles and EP's mainly from the 60's and 70's. No player for years

Would love to buy a turntable and amp etc. Can anyone advise where I can but these. Isaan, Bangkok or Pattaya areas - perhaps online

Thanks.. PN

What i would be doing is doing a bit of research in the values in the collectors market - That way they will be appreciated for their true value and not used as beer coasters by a punk who thinks that MP4 is the ultimate in Sound technology. I would get a subscription to Record Collector http://recordcollectormag.com/ for starters . I would also be prepared to sell individually not as a lot sale ,as many collectors will be searching for individual pressings on various weight vinyl. Many will only be interested in particular genres or even pressings from particular recording studios etc.If they are serious collectors many will only be searching for pressings that will fill the gaps in their own collections.

Unfortunately , sooner or later i will have to do the same to my own collection .

Early presses of a vinyl record are worth more than later ones then there is the rarity factor as well as whats hot and whats not at the moment.

Each record has a serial number you can look for a site that can tell you how early or late your copy is, condition is inportant too.

I was delighted when CD came in, i have not missed track noise in the least as for the sound of analogue vs digital i will take that crystal clear sound and now able to hear all the instruments, as for the analogue sounds live bulls**t go watch any well known touring band live and hear the difference, its all digital now folks, seeing Santana twice in recent years the sound quality blew me away big difference from the shows i saw in the 70 and 80's

• Like 1

Ill give ya $1 per item.. thumbsup.gif

Although that may seem too cheap, these days it's actually not far from what they are worth, for likely 99% of the collection. I have hundreds of them myself, not worth selling them.

Op, check this site out for what your lot is worth.

www.discogs.com

Hi Ian,

PM'd you, although I really have to agree with cbluck58 - original analogue recorded vinyl will only continue to escalate in price. There is already a strong Asian market for analogue source components (we're talking about people who spend >$50,000 on a TT) and the Chinese market in particular is set to grow exponentially.

Given the money these guys are prepared to spend on their source equipment, it doesn't take much of a leap of faith to consider what they will be prepared to pay for good condition original pressings - and as these get ever more rare, this will obviously inflate the price further.

What $50,000 on a turntable??

Even 50k baht for a Technics 1200 is way overpriced.

The best market for you is Japan. You can get serious money there for many good titles. You could probably pay for some good vacation times there by just packing as many as your suitcase can hold and making the rounds there developing your contacts aferwhich you could ship the balance. When I owned a cd store in the USA the vinyl we were selling for $50 was being purchased in Japan for thousands of dollars (I was told). For me vinyl was a sideline so I never bothered but as you as so close to toyko it is probably worth you time to go there.

Hi Ian,

What $50,000 on a turntable??

Even 50k baht for a Technics 1200 is way overpriced.

Yes - 50K baht is way overpriced for a technics 1200 - your point is?

Although that may seem too cheap, these days it's actually not far from what they are worth, for likely 99% of the collection. I have hundreds of them myself, not worth selling them.

www.discogs.com

Wouldn't entirely agree with that advice.

The market value for an LP can be established by checking previous sales figures on the internet e.g. a search on ebay of past auction prices. You do need to know what the condition of your vinyl is - visual (Record Collector gradings) and ideally play graded on a quality turntable as well. You also need to know where the album stampers originated from ideally e.g. A1/B1 are generally first pressings, and Porky Prime Cut (George Peckham) or RL (Bob Ludwig) stampers are gonna be in demand.

Saying all that, with the vinyl being in Thailand and in a job lot then you need to work out whether it's worthwhile going through this process. If it's obscure stuff then maybe not but say you've got some original Beatles pressings on Apple or a RL-cut Led Zep II, then why not. Also if you've got any audiophile-label pressings.

Cheers...

PS SL1200 can be a very good DD motor unit, there are several companies doing mods to it and running it with proper tonearms, not the stock item which is weak.

Edited by MarkyM3

I have some lp's still sealed in their plastic covered covers, and I have probably over 100 78's. I wonder if there is any value in the 78's.

Where do you live? I am interested in buying , also 78's , don't expect too much for the 78 records, unless you got some rare Elvis records.

www.discogs.com

Wouldn't entirely agree with that advice.

The market value for an LP can be established by checking previous sales figures on the internet e.g. a search on ebay of past auction prices. You do need to know what the condition of your vinyl is - visual (Record Collector gradings) and ideally play graded on a quality turntable as well. You also need to know where the album stampers originated from ideally e.g. A1/B1 are generally first pressings, and Porky Prime Cut (George Peckham) or RL (Bob Ludwig) stampers are gonna be in demand.

Saying all that, with the vinyl being in Thailand and in a job lot then you need to work out whether it's worthwhile going through this process. If it's obscure stuff then maybe not but say you've got some original Beatles pressings on Apple or a RL-cut Led Zep II, then why not. Also if you've got any audiophile-label pressings.

Cheers...

PS SL1200 can be a very good DD motor unit, there are several companies doing mods to it and running it with proper tonearms, not the stock item which is weak.

Another Porkys Prime Cut, havent heard that term in years, nice one thanks.

What hasnt been mentioned, do these albums come with all the original, posters, inserts, booklets etc.

Are they the original gatefold sleeve or reprints?

I have bought albums that were unplayable and the sleeves were shagged only because I wanted all the original inserts.

To be honest, I brought my Technics TT over from Europe about 10 years ago together with my vinyl, I have a very decent amplifier with vintage speakers, and I think I played 3 LP's in all that time.

I have approx 230.000 songs on my server, and that are the ones I listen to and enjoy.

To be honest, I brought my Technics TT over from Europe about 10 years ago together with my vinyl, I have a very decent amplifier with vintage speakers, and I think I played 3 LP's in all that time.

I have approx 230.000 songs on my server, and that are the ones I listen to and enjoy.

What original '70s Hawkwind stuff do you have for sale?