Tourist Visa Denied

Aug 10 2014 Cleared 396 days of overstay at DMK no problem. Paid 20,000 and left. Staff was friendly but did warn I might have troubles returning to Thailand.

Aug 11 2014 Applied for Tourist Visa @ the Malay Embassy in KL - DENIED . advised I had an overstay and said I might not be able to go into Thailand, but no stamp.

My options are

- Stay in KL report my passport stolen, get a new one from the Embassy and reapply for a visa.

- Try a different embassy eg, Singapore, Jakarta or Cambodia and Laos ( but not 100% with the overstay stamp)

- Go back home and do the same.

Any advices or other people experiencing the same thing?

I would not reapply at that visa office with a new passport.

I would go somewhere else with a new passport (but don't apply for the passport in that country as you will have no entry stamp (the old one would have it)) and the Thai staff may notice and know you have a new passport and do some background checks.

My dilemma is the following,

1. Risk it, head back into Thailand with a possilbity of a red stamp, or even being denied entry.

Once in, use up my 30 days then go out to Laos or the other embasssies you guys just recommend to get a Visa and return.

2. Risk it, head back into Thailand, renew a passport inside Bangkok then head out without an (overstay stamp) this time and apply for a Visa at the embassies you guys recommended.

3. Not head back at all, go to another embassy apply for Visa and re enter.

4. Not head back at all, but renew passport in which this will take 20 days, then apply for a visa the re enter.

5. Finally, head back get an ED , head out and get an ED visa ( risking denied entry which would be problematic if I wanted to come back again )

As you can see, its quite a headache and will cost quite a bit of cash having to shell out another 20 days of hotels, plus airfare, cost of new passport 6K bhat etc....

Edited by mrgiggles

Go to Penang to get a tourist visa. Then fly back in, not over land.

You should really not complain about your situation, that you have caused yourself. Clearly by your post count you have joined the forum only when contingency dictated.

Yes joined the forum today, under this name anyway.

I wouldn't mind betting that he joined in Malaysia.

I came here from the states to treat testicular cancer.. My insurance comapny denied my claim
As i am only 30.. I have spent most of my savings on
Care and medical costs.. Thailand was an afforable option therefore I came. I first read awhile ago that many people were recommending overstaying and just paying 20k to get out, so in hopes to lower the costs of visa runs and I wasnt in much shape to go..always fatigue ..tired..cant walk..i decided to overstay.

Im here for advice not not looking for judement.
Yes funds I have but I would like be as frugal as possible as I have another 5 or 6 months of treatment to go before I am in shape to go back.home again

So anyone with an agent or any recommendation would help greatly

I came here from the states to treat testicular cancer.. My insurance comapny denied my claim
Care and medical costs.. Thailand was an afforable option therefore I came. I first read awhile ago that many people were recommending overstaying and just paying 20k to get out, so in hopes to lower the costs of visa runs and I wasnt in much shape to go..always fatigue ..tired..cant walk..i decided to overstay.

Yes funds I have but I would like be as frugal as possible as I have another 5 or 6 months of treatment to go before I am in shape to go back.home again

Sorry to hear about your condition.

The advice you got has been very wrong, you could have got extensions for medical reasons, every 90 days at the cost of Bt 1,900 each.

Above you have got the recommendation already from multiple people, just follow it.

• Like 2

fyi you can just renew your passport without reporting it stolen

Well I just renewed it, got it back on Jul 24 2014.

So the first page was an overstay stamp..

Sorry to say but that was not very clever from you to transfer a stamp, which has been overstayed, into a brand new passport.

You should have gone the middle path by requesting an emergency book in between the two passports.

If you take the Penang option:

You can get buses easily from KL to Penang.  If possible though get a bus that goes to Komtar (the central Georgetown terminal) rather than Sungai Nibong terminal which is where most go to, it's quite a way out and you'll need another bus or a taxi to get to town.

Once in town in all honesty I'd head to Chulia Street and check into one of the many back-packer hotels in and around.  In Chulia Street there are many travel / visa agents all within walking distance that can handle an application.

• Like 1

The advice of going to Penang, etc., is good, but even if you get the visa, there might still be a chance of being refused entry. Hopefuly that would not happen if flying to BKK. Have you looked into continuing your treatment in Malaysia or Singapore? Continuing your treatment is obviously of highest priority.

The advice of going to Penang, etc., is good, but even if you get the visa, there might still be a chance of being refused entry. Hopefuly that would not happen if flying to BKK. Have you looked into continuing your treatment in Malaysia or Singapore? Continuing your treatment is obviously of highest priority.

Thailand is cheapest, Singapore and Malay is way more expensive, not only the medical fees but cost of rent, food and taxis as well. I can't walk much had an operation where both of them were removed, so I'm still in the healing process. Plus I have low energy as hell, body is depleted of testostrone which is supplemented by test injections every single day... real pain u have no idea.

Thailand is cheapest, Singapore and Malay is way more expensive, not only the medical fees but cost of rent, food and taxis as well. I can't walk much had an operation where both of them were removed, so I'm still in the healing process. Plus I have low energy as hell, body is depleted of testostrone which is supplemented by test injections every single day... real pain u have no idea.

So now I think the best way to do it after all your guys suggestions is to bus to Penang, get a agent to get the Visa and fly back to bkk? Anyone have a better idea than this let me know.

My flight back to BKK is Friday.

• Like 1

So now I think the best way to do it after all your guys suggestions is to bus to Penang, get a agent to get the Visa and fly back to bkk? Anyone have a better idea than this let me know.

My flight back to BKK is Friday.

I had 379 days overstay and I was also refused for my tourist visa application in Phnom Penh (I'm turkish by the way, that was the reason why i was refused) However, I was totally desperate and ubonjoe adviced me to buy a onward flight ticket out of Thailand so I did as he said. I straight came back to Thailand and shown my onward flight ticket when officer realized that I overstayed over a year. Then they asked me few questions like why I want to go back to Thailand and why I stayed so long and I explained it as my gf was by me they believed it all and let me in. 

As you are already in KL, it would be best for you to go to Penang and try for tourist visa in there also. If you can't get it then you can try to do like i've done and once you get back in Thailand you should look for get medical extensions.

I would go back to KL if you haven't left yet and fully explain your medical condition to them and show receipts if possible and ask them for a medical visa. Maybe phone them before you go in.

Otherwise go to Penang as recommended.

It is so very hard for me to accept the idea that a new passport makes all your past mistakes invisible to authorities.  Does this really work?  Are they gullible enough to overlook the fact that many long stayers are clearing their back to back entries, overstays, etc.....by simply getting a new passport.????

Educate me.

OP --- my suggestion - when you get the tourist visa as others have suggested and then go back to KL and fly into BKK - have some of you medical documents to show them if they start to balk on your entry.  Just what ever docs you have - showing treatment facility - something of the time frame -- future appointments - diagnosis... If they start talking denied entry - get a supervisor and start showing the papers ... There is some hope that a supervisor will see the sense of the situation.  Why did you overstay they may ask ... I didn't know I could get medical extension and was weak and sick - not thinking clearly... etc.  Just let me finish my treatments - okay?

Thailand touts that it is fast becoming a major medical tourism center... and for many they are... You might remind the IOs and supervisors about that.

• Like 2

whistling.gif  Sorry to hear about your medical problems.

Just let me add some info here for others that reading this topic.

Many hospitals with international patients have someone on it's staff who do "International Patient Coordination" work.

It may be a Philippine nurse or doctor who often has better English skills, or it may be a Thai.

Among other duties they normally handle medical extensions of stay for foreigners if needed.

When you are in hospital for a long period or staying in Thailand for medical treatment as about such a person.

Last year while I was in hospital I had such a person come around and speak to me. I didn't need any visa help as I had a retirement extension already and didn't have to  do another 90 day report soon, but there was someone (a nurse as it happened) who was the hospital rep for international patients for foreigners staying in the hospital.

So if your in hospital or in treatment for some time, ask about such a service.

If you take the Penang option:

You can get buses easily from KL to Penang.  If possible though get a bus that goes to Komtar (the central Georgetown terminal) rather than Sungai Nibong terminal which is where most go to, it's quite a way out and you'll need another bus or a taxi to get to town.

Once in town in all honesty I'd head to Chulia Street and check into one of the many back-packer hotels in and around.  In Chulia Street there are many travel / visa agents all within walking distance that can handle an application.

This is solid advice for the most part.
- The bus kl to penang is more like 4-5 hours.
- do try to get a bus that goes directly to komtar. But sg. Nibong bus terminal is fine as there are minibus service or RapidPenang bus appx 1 ringgit that will take you back to Komtar terminal.

- To get to chulia st, take 101 (outside komtar terminal) or *almost* any # bus that is going to "Jetty" ask bus driver to confirm.

- there are several backpacker style and guesthouse room places on chulia, love lane, muntri st area. Between 16-100 ringgit. I assume you'll want a/c with your condition. So star lodge/w&o on muntri st appx 55-65 ringgit. The bunk beds with a/c are appx 30-60 depending on the pllpllace. SuperK is 30 and is usually sold out. Banana is also limited availability. at the very end of Lebuh Chulia / Lebuh Leith next to Subway sandwich / Jalan Penang is Syok hostel: 60 RM and has rooms available.

You can use an agent or go to the embassy yourself. 15 ringgit taxi each way or maybe you can negotiate 25 ringgit round trip. Best to . There is a bus option; I detail in an earlier thread if you search username. Be prepared to walk 20 min or more one way.

A recent update at the Penang embassy now Tourist visas are being processed the same day (drop-off 09:00-11:30 am; pickup 14:30-16:00). Non-imm visas are next-day pickup.

So your first course of action should be making your way to penang NOW.

Worry about extending your plane ticket or just buying a train ticket buttersworth to bangkok later.

"I first read awhile ago that many people were recommending overstaying and just paying 20k to get out, so in hopes to lower the costs of visa runs and I wasnt in much shape to go..always fatigue ..tired..cant walk..i decided to overstay."

Unfortunately a lot of the "advice" offered here or from other sources, even when well-intentioned, is not the best. You could probably have managed a medical extension of stay based on documentation from your doctor, but that isn't especially useful at this point. If you require further treatment, maybe a visa based on that could be issued.

Your situation is one of the few that does merit sympathy, but then seeking more advice here is likely to generate good & bad advice along with negative comments. Probably best to use advice from posters labeled as "moderators" and try other embassies/consulates ... and ignore most of the other comments, even if well intended.

Sorry for your series of bad experiences, starting with the diagnosis of cancer. Hopefully things will be better going forward.

This is from the embassy in Washington, but may be useful guidelines at whatever embassy or consulate.

Tourist Visa (Medical Treatment)

Purpose of Visit:- 
This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for medical treatment at hospitals/medical facilities in Thailand.

Documents Required:-
   1) Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page). 
   2) One visa application form completely filled out (download)
   3) Two passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months. 
4) Letter of hospitals in Thailand indicating medical purpose and duration of treatment
   5) A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary 
   6) A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance 
    ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) 
   7 For non-US citizen, a copy of permanent resident alien card with employment verification or a copy of valid US visa with employment verification letter if self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name. 
   8) For minor uder 20 years old, a birth certificate, copies of mother and father's passports and Marriage Certificate if any, letter of consent from mother and father for the minor to travel abroad in case not accommany with the child. in case of sole custody, a copy of court order must be provided