Exercise-shoulder muscles -->headache

h90

When I am very serious I get stiff in the shoulders and get later headache....I had that when I was the personal slave from some overweight ugly women (+their smelly dog) at the army.

Now I started to regularly exercise, but when I train shoulders hard, but it seems all the back has similar effect, I may get headache, actually it triggers migraine.

1 Avamigran (EU Version) fixes it in zero time. (it has some muscle relax medication it)

It doesn't happen too often, but it does.

Aspirin has of course zero effect.

I don't like to eat medication....any other idea? Tiger Balm after training?, an Aspirin after training? I try to drink a lot. It seems it is worse if I am dehydrated but drinking much more seems without effect.

Before when I was young an Aspirin and plenty of beer before the headache helped.....But I train to get more fit and less weigh, so the beer therapy is no solution.

I usually train at 11 AM and the headache starts at evening, so caffeine isn't an option.

Any other idea without or just very mild medication???

(My father has the same, so it seems it is a bit in the family).

Rub thai boxing linament (namman muay) or white tiger balm on your temples and from the back of your neck to your skull bone (if you have a skinhead) on both sides of the central tendons and also across horizontally where the rear part of the skull starts, take an ibuprofen and in 15 mins you should feel the headache slide away in to a bliss moment.

For shoulders maybe get someone to massage some linament there too.

Rub thai boxing linament (namman muay) or white tiger balm on your temples and from the back of your neck to your skull bone (if you have a skinhead) on both sides of the central tendons and also across horizontally where the rear part of the skull starts, take an ibuprofen and in 15 mins you should feel the headache slide away in to a bliss moment.

For shoulders maybe get someone to massage some linament there too.

yes wife told the same :-)

Thanks

• Like 1

Breathing correctly is the key with weights. Difficult to master for sure, but saying that we are all very different creatures, so looking for your/my cure is a challenge. You will find it..............smile.png

Tranny -  breathing (exhaling) at the right time isn't hard.

Sounds to me like the OP is starting off too heavy without warming up the shoulders or is taking on too much weight and putting extra strain on his neck / back to compensate.

Been there done that.

I think his bigger problem is cutting back on the coffee ;)

Are you working out too hard? Pushing yourself is primary goal, but we all have limits...

Some exercises I do trigger a spasm in my neck, which leads to some excruciating pain. Is that the same kind of thing? It's usually from being dehydrated and then over-straining.

I don't know anything about migraines, but exercising without the right nutrition and without being hydrated can trigger headache, nausea, and muscle problems.

Breathing correctly is the key with weights. Difficult to master for sure, but saying that we are all very different creatures, so looking for your/my cure is a challenge. You will find it..............smile.png

Sounds to me like the OP is starting off too heavy without warming up the shoulders or is taking on too much weight and putting extra strain on his neck / back to compensate.

Been there done that.

I think his bigger problem is cutting back on the coffee wink.png

I don't drink coffee since approx. 1 week.

When I train shoulder and neck I try to put extra strain on them and hope that they are a bit stiff and sore. Than I did it right. That would be complete OK for chest or triceps....

No problems on the joints and tendons (which is surprising as all my joints were somehow a bit damaged....)

Been there done that.

I stopped training a couple of years back sad.png , perhaps cos now I am an old guy, the kids wanted to do what the old guy was doing at the gym, great, so this kid tried, I said "Breath now"........'Out now"...he said "I cannot"

He did well but near collapsed walking away....Took me a while to control stuff cos we think all of our brain must concentrate on the weight, but noooo. I am a weee guy but can do stuff after learning to get stuff in some sort of order. BUT, like I said, we are all different and body tells you stuff.

Me, coffee in the morning, no lunch, eat at night whistling.gif , done it for years and could lift/train. We are all different and must find our key. Must add, I feel 100% except for my gray cells, my posts reveal that.............laugh.png

Been there done that.

When I train shoulder and neck I try to put extra strain on them and hope that they are a bit stiff and sore. Than I did it right. That would be complete OK for chest or triceps....

No problems on the joints and tendons (which is surprising as all my joints were somehow a bit damaged....)

Over the long weekend I worked out every day arms + legs, then chest + back+shoulders on alternating days. Triceps were a bit tender but shoulders hurt much more from not giving them a rest - I believe the tendons were causing it.  Basically my arms and shoulders didn't get a day off as they are indirectly involved in all above mentioned groups. A big no no I know but what the hell, the pain goes away and I am taking a few days off. 

Shoulder presses hurt the most to do especially if I use the machine. With dumb bells I find that if I go too heavy I start compensating (incorrectly) with my back. 

Edit to add, still think it's the coffee withdrawl that is giving you the headache. Never do that! ;)

Edited by bkkjames

Coffee withdrawal can definitely give a headache, but the cold turkey effect can/ should be over within 10 days max.

Try MSM tablets to counteract any inflammation caused by the weight training.  There are absolutely no side effects with this medication.

Been there done that.

Over the long weekend I worked out every day arms + legs, then chest + back+shoulders on alternating days. Triceps were a bit tender but shoulders hurt much more from not giving them a rest - I believe the tendons were causing it.  Basically my arms and shoulders didn't get a day off as they are indirectly involved in all above mentioned groups. A big no no I know but what the hell, the pain goes away and I am taking a few days off. 

Shoulder presses hurt the most to do especially if I use the machine. With dumb bells I find that if I go too heavy I start compensating (incorrectly) with my back. 

Edit to add, still think it's the coffee withdrawl that is giving you the headache. Never do that! wink.png

definitely not the coffee withdrawl because I had it often enough before I stopped with the coffee....

with shoulders it is a bit difficult to split as most things involve the shoulders or neck as well

Dehydration causes 90% of all migraine.

Coffeeine and/or alcohol dehydrates the body.
You said you tried to give up coffee. What ever you feel is temporary and probably worth to do it. If the side effects from quitting coffee are bad, then try some medical temporary solution. Be sure you google the medication and side effects before you take the medicin. Even a small pharmacy should be able to give you some medicin.

Edited by Potter

I have been a migraine sufferer for more than 50 years. My Doctor once told me he read an article in the British Medical Association magazine that told the story that all of the patients in a nursing home for no reason stopped having migraine attacks. Further research showed there was a reason as all patients were also arthritis sufferers and had been placed on a new arthritic medication named Clinoril. Thats the medical brand, the ingredient is Sulindac. If I feel a migraine maybe coming I take half a tab and I can avoid the migraine attacks. I only take the half tab on average about once a week. Doctors in Australia refuse to prescribe Sulindac or Clinoril cause its not meant to be for migraines. I have found it excellent and I buy from Thailand. Usually the drug store will need to order and its available the next day.

If I am unlucky enough to get an attack my prescribed medication that is effective is the Imigran inhaler but thats not available inThailand. My vision clears within 30 minutes and after another 30 minute rest am ok 

Good luck in finding something that helps as only migraine sufferers can understand the infliction of migraine.

I have been a migraine sufferer for more than 50 years. My Doctor once told me he read an article in the British Medical Association magazine that told the story that all of the patients in a nursing home for no reason stopped having migraine attacks. Further research showed there was a reason as all patients were also arthritis sufferers and had been placed on a new arthritic medication named Clinoril. Thats the medical brand, the ingredient is Sulindac. If I feel a migraine maybe coming I take half a tab and I can avoid the migraine attacks. I only take the half tab on average about once a week. Doctors in Australia refuse to prescribe Sulindac or Clinoril cause its not meant to be for migraines. I have found it excellent and I buy from Thailand. Usually the drug store will need to order and its available the next day.

If I am unlucky enough to get an attack my prescribed medication that is effective is the Imigran inhaler but thats not available inThailand. My vision clears within 30 minutes and after another 30 minute rest am ok 

Good luck in finding something that helps as only migraine sufferers can understand the infliction of migraine.

When I was younger I got migraine sometimes (but not often). Now I don't get it without anything that triggers it. Like drinking too much alcohol and having a hangover....the headache from the hangover passed already and than a migraine starts.

Or stiff muscles in the shoulder neck.

Both things not always and I don't drink too much anymore.

So it is rare that I need any medication. If I use avamigran (European version not Thai version) which I use on an early stage (it always develops very slow) and it works wonders.

Migraine is most definitely not "90 pct caused by dehydration".

I am also not sure that these are migraines as opposed to tension headaches.

Checking your BP after exercise is a good idea (allow a few minuyes rest first).

If that is not the problem then muscle spasm likely is and appropriate stretches shoulf help.

Migraine is most definitely not "90 pct caused by dehydration".

I am also not sure that these are migraines as opposed to tension headaches.

Checking your BP after exercise is a good idea (allow a few minuyes rest first).

If that is not the problem then muscle spasm likely is and appropriate stretches shoulf help.

The headache starts many hours, say 5-8 hours after the exercise.

No spasm....just tense and stiff which is normal.

It starts as "normal" headache. But together with stress, office work (not drinking enough and being dehydrated also adds to the problem) etc it something may develop into migraine a few hours later.

It is not causing it, it is just sometimes it triggers it.......But it seems the advise before with that Thai-Boxing oil is reducing the muscle tension.

Actually many ideas here are helpful...they are all obvious, but still I ignored them before.........