Why do Thais like to eat on the floor?

Costas2008

Whenever, I am invited, by a Thai family, for dinner, we land eating on the floor.

Of course, they put the colourful mats down, so we are not sitting on the cement or tiles but I have noticed, they all have a dining table and chairs, but they don’t use them.

Asked the wife, why, and she said, that’s how they have been used to do all their lives.

Now, it’s not a big deal, but I never enjoyed my dinner, as I get pins and needles and have to get up every so often.

Also, they are trying to be polite with me and they bring me a chair to sit, but I feel uncomfortable sitting on top of their heads, so I prefer to suffer.

Anything to do with Thai culture?

Would anybody know where this habit comes from?

Again, it could be only a habit in rural Isaan.

I would appreciate your answers.

Edited by Rooo
Font
  • Like 2

There's more of a communal feel to sitting around on the floor, close together and sharing the food. You don't get quite the same "bonding" (if I can call it that) when you sit around a table. Don't drink wine while sitting on the floor, though. Some bugger always kicks over the bottle or glass, and usually it's me shifting about all the time.

On the plus side, if you do drink wine, you do not have as far to fall

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 1

There's more of a communal feel to sitting around on the floor, close together and sharing the food. You don't get quite the same "bonding" (if I can call it that) when you sit around a table. Don't drink wine while sitting on the floor, though. Some bugger always kicks over the bottle or glass, and usually it's me shifting about all the time.

I do not drink falling down water.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some of my Wife's family do not have tables and chairs and i know a good many other Thai homes without them.  Some of you Guys need to sample village life where you will find many family's living in the old traditional ways.  You won't learn much about Thailand by hanging around in Bangkok.

The reverse is also true you won't learn much about Thailand by not hanging around Bangkok.. .

There are half a dozen restaurants in this medium sized town that have mats and low tables.  A couple are outside and the mats are on the ground.  They are quite popular.

Ever heard of JAPAN? 

You guys really don't get around much.  Guess what?  In Malaysia, they eat with their HANDS while sitting on the floor.

'nuff said

~

No none of us get around much. I thought in Malaysia they ate while sitting on their hands, thanks for let me know.

• Like 1

Comfort for them to sit x legged....in ancient times after western chairs were adopted they had to be extra wide so they could sit cross legged and be comfortable....in Thai fashion.....

Comfort or habit, one of the two. Just yesterday wifey and I had lunch at Sizzler. At the table I was facing was a seemingly classy family; well dressed, I-pads all round, Dad was often on the phone talking business. He used his knife and fork very well, none of the usual grasping the cutlery like weapons, and yet he sat x-legged on the chair.

• Haha 1

I do not drink falling down water.

My apologies. I was only referring to my own personal experience