Why do Thais like to eat on the floor?

Costas2008

at the end of the day what does it matter,?

i cant use chop sticks very well, but my wife its like extra fingers,

ive said on here many times we are all different, eat different food in different ways,

some of the threads on here, just go with the flow, 

thai bashers thrive on differences

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I am wondering if these habits are changing ? Civilisation having now reached this country, they should start to understand that the ground where rats and cockroaches run is not a proper place for food ?

But maybe nothing will change ? Look, kids are as stupid as they parents when it's about driving and road safety, but in my country, kids find totally stupid adults who do not use a safe belt in the back of the car.

I mean that in the west kids get good habits, maybe from their parents but also learnt from TV.online, but here, kids learn nothing and do not improve the lifestyle about anything, they just mimic their parents ridiculous or dangerous habits. I am so hopeless about this country.

You can tell what you want about culture or habits, eating with dirty hands or on the ground is far to be clean, and these people should learn from western people who make a different with animal habits.

Edited by gamesgplayemail

On 8/14/2014 at 8:38 AM, abhaya said:

I think you might as well ask why westerners sit in in chairs and tables- possibly because their floors are too dirty to sit on? Thais keep their floors immaculately clean (at least the ones I know) and because you take your shoes off you don't track dirt into the house. I like sitting on the floor because it is easier to lie down after having a good meal than a chair.

They keep their house "clean" (thai style...) but their feet dirty, then put the food where their dirty feet walked.

Also where the dirty digs lay.

Dirty habits anyway, whatever people pretend to think.

Why do westerners like to invent and produce junk food that will end up in killing consumers due to fat excess ?

I mean what's the point on stigmatizing people on such cultural issues, when one is living in their country ? .....Is it just to try and hide one's own inner distress and try to feel superior by finger pointing others ? No hard feelings, but I just don't get it on being so stupid and caty on such petty issues....IMHO of course.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

They keep their house "clean" (thai style...) but their feet dirty, then put the food where their dirty feet walked.

Also where the dirty digs lay.

Dirty habits anyway, whatever people pretend to think.

Seriously? 

In my experience, I've found Thai's a lot more hygienic and more obsessed with cleanliness than 99% of 'westerners'.  I haven't shared a meal on the floor with Thai's who have rats and cockroaches running around their floor or have dirty feet when dining...but maybe I run around in different circles to you?

Poverty-stricken Thai families may be a different matter...but that's the same the world over (western and non-western counties)...poverty and the lack of sanitary conditions to ensure perfect cleanliness is understandable in those situations.

IMHO, I think your problem with Thai's runs a lot deeper than their desire to eat on the floor.

Their country, their culture, their choice.

If you can't deal with that, just don't live there or visit...no need to denigrate them or suggest that Western-style values need to be imposed upon them.

I visit Thailand frequently and appreciate the different lifestyle and culture when I meet with Thai friends...which includes sitting on a mat to eat dinner and taking off my dirty shoes before I enter their house...I assume you don't choose to hang-out with Thai's?  

Edited by mgthom63
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

as you may have noticed, thai men are short !

in west, we are used to be at least 3 dm taller than any woman,

-this gives us a good visual of their breast when we stand close,

but for thai men to get a top-down view, they literally need the woman to sit down,

then he can walk by and get a sneak peak top down view too

busted-looking-at-boobs-replace-2.jpg

Edited by poanoi
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mgthom63 said:

In my experience, I've found Thai's a lot more hygienic and more obsessed with cleanliness than 99% of 'westerners'.  I haven't shared a meal on the floor with Thai's who have rats and cockroaches running around their floor or have dirty feet when dining...but maybe I run around in different circles to you?

Plenty of rats and cockroaches in the kitchen and market the food came from.

And they all went to the toilet and didn't wash their hands after and during the food prep.

OK, they sweep the floor a lot, but the ceilings are still draped in cobwebs and the dunny is still a hole in the ground.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

And they all went to the toilet and didn't wash their hands after and during the food prep.

OK, they sweep the floor a lot, but the ceilings are still draped in cobwebs and the dunny is still a hole in the ground.

If it is above eye level it doesn't need to be cleaned. It's a rule. Stop looking up.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mgthom63 said:

Seriously? 

Poverty-stricken Thai families may be a different matter...but that's the same the world over (western and non-western counties)...poverty and the lack of sanitary conditions to ensure perfect cleanliness is understandable in those situations.

IMHO, I think your problem with Thai's runs a lot deeper than their desire to eat on the floor.

Their country, their culture, their choice.

If you can't deal with that, just don't live there or visit...no need to denigrate them or suggest that Western-style values need to be imposed upon them.

I visit Thailand frequently and appreciate the different lifestyle and culture when I meet with Thai friends...which includes sitting on a mat to eat dinner and taking off my dirty shoes before I enter their house...I assume you don't choose to hang-out with Thai's?  

... said the tourist who know nothing ! Start to live here 20 years and come to talk again, until then you just look dumb.

Yes, you just seem to know nothing or do not have eyes open enough to see clearly.

Before a Thai will be able to clean well, buy them a real broom and not the useless piece of wood that they most use and that just move the dust instead of cleaning it. The day when a Thai will teach be how to clean. how to drive or how to be safe has not yet come. Yes, maybe they can teach me how to wai, but this is all they could (and know)

Edited by gamesgplayemail

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

This is the only truth, not lies that only tourists who know nothing believe.

I am wondering if these habits are changing ? Civilisation having now reached this country, they should start to understand that the ground where rats and cockroaches run is not a proper place for food ?

But maybe nothing will change ? Look, kids are as stupid as they parents when it's about driving and road safety, but in my country, kids find totally stupid adults who do not use a safe belt in the back of the car.
I mean that in the west kids get good habits, maybe from their parents but also learnt from TV.online, but here, kids learn nothing and do not improve the lifestyle about anything, they just mimic their parents ridiculous or dangerous habits. I am so hopeless about this country.

You can tell what you want about culture or habits, eating with dirty hands or on the ground is far to be clean, and these people should learn from western people who make a different with animal habits.

Wait while I go back and read the 153 posts in this thread that has been dead for 2 1/2 years until you stumbled upon it to breathe new life into it before I render an opinion. Standby I won’t be more than 2 1/2 years or so,,,,
  • Like 2

I nearly always eat sitting on the floor.  I have done even back in the UK before even visiting Thailand.

I find it more comfortable to sit on the floor... I rarely use a sofa or chair in my onw home.

And its not dirty to eat sitting on the floor, because the food is on a plate, not on the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 5.3.2018 at 4:55 AM, mgthom63 said:

In my experience, I've found Thai's a lot more hygienic and more obsessed with cleanliness than 99% of 'westerners'. 

Then either the Thai's that you know are exceptionally clean or the westerners who you know exceptionally dirty.

But cleanliness is definitely not one of the strength of Thais, and i could totally understand it if somebody for whom cleanliness is important would say that Thailand is not for him because it's just too dirty.

• Like 1

Thais are hygienic when it comes to their own bodies , more so than westerners, that's my impression. Just look at all the nail salons, massage  and spas here.  The locals want to smell good and look clean . 

But when it comes to their own car , the house they live in , the kitchen they work in , all the trash laying on the ground outside ,  it's almost opposite. They will ignore it . 

They don't see any reason to change the way they live, it's all traditional values I guess , good and bad.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, balo said:

Thais are hygienic when it comes to their own bodies , more so than westerners, that's my impression. Just look at all the nail salons, massage  and spas here.  The locals want to smell good and look clean . 

But when it comes to their own car , the house they live in , the kitchen they work in , all the trash laying on the ground outside ,  it's almost opposite. They will ignore it . 

They don't see any reason to change the way they live, it's all traditional values I guess , good and bad.  

What is so incredible is that it seems that they do not even have eyes to see the s_h_i_t in which they live.

There is not even 1 Thai women that I met who was cleaning with a brain. I had to teach them all what means being clean western hospital style.

• Like 1