Crackdown on Bangkok taxi drivers who refuse to accept passengers

webfact

Clampdown on taxi drivers who refuse to accept passengers

146119-imagepng-215713-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department in cooperation with the 11th Army Circle have started a clampdown on taxies in Bangkok to make sure that they use meters and do not reject passengers.

Colonel Virat Wongchan, deputy commander of the 11th Army Circle, said Wednesday that the clampdown on taxi services was one of the policies of the National Council for Peace and Order to ensure more safety and better services for the passengers.

Uniformed and plainclothes military and land transport officials will be deployed at eight “high-risk’’ points where taxi drivers are prone to violate regulations such as refusing to accept some passengers.

The “high risk” points include Future Park Rangsit, Yaowaraj road, Mor Chit bus terminal, Central World shopping mall, Mahboonkrong shopping mall, Paltinum mall in Pratunam, Soi Nana, Temple of the Emerald Buddha or Wat Phra Kaew.

Land transport director-general Mr Atsathai Rattanadilok na Phuket said officials would check the driving licences and ID cards of the cabbies. Violation of this requirement will be liable to a 1,000 baht fine and/or one-month jailterm.

The cabbies, he added, must use meters and must not refuse to accept Thai passengers or they will face stern action from the authorities.

There are about 160,000 taxies operating in Bangkok and its suburbs and up to 20 percent of the drivers do not have the licences. Most of the complaints against taxi drivers deal with their use of rude language with passengers and rejecting passengers in favour of foreign passengers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/clampdown-taxi-drivers-refuse-accept-passengers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-14

• Like 1

The problem is exacerbated by the habit of passengers opening the front door to tell drivers their destination. This gives drivers the easy option of declining. I don't know why people just don't get in the back and then tell the driver where they want to go ( probably because of fear of being kicked out with menace? ).

That would be acting logically, there is no word in Thai for logic.

• Like 2

CTW is a nightmare. For Thais and non-Thais. I don't even know why the taxis pull up through the drive, they don't seem to take anybody anyway. Paragon is much better--but the line for taxis is huge. BTW, I just got refused yesterday at the taxi line at Central Pinklao. Central Pinklao! The guy refused a 100 baht trip from there to Phutthamonthon. Well, the new Central Salaya is now open. Don't need Pinklao anymore anyway.

The problem is exacerbated by the habit of passengers opening the front door to tell drivers their destination. This gives drivers the easy option of declining. I don't know why people just don't get in the back and then tell the driver where they want to go ( probably because of fear of being kicked out with menace? ).

Actually, you want to give taxi the option to reject the destination. This may be a minor inconvenience, but better for both parties to mutually go in the same desired direction.

As to just jumping in the back of a metered taxi cold turkey, I havent seen that ever in thailand; you always ask first. Now a song-theaw with a FIXED route is different.

• Like 2

Last week it took me three tries the get a taxi from Mor Chit bus terminal and this was at 5am so traffic to my destination would not have been a problem for the driver. Though I must say I rarely have any issues about the meter any where in Krung Thep.

All true, but where else you find taxis for that price? If you don't like the rejections, use Uber or Grab Taxi and it is still a fraction of what you would pay in your home country. Anyway a crack down is not the way to deal with such problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Agree, in fact a student group at one university has put up signs to this effect telling people to not ask first, just get in and refuse to get out if the taxi driver says no, unless it's within 30 minutes of the 4:00 pm taxi shift change.

I might add the same actual university regularly reminds female students, faculty and staff to not travel alone in taxis.

• Like 2

I have been refused taxi service all over Thailand - if I am not going in the direction they want to go - or the fare not big enough - then it is next taxi...

On Koh Samui - they should just remove about 80% of the taxis as they are useless - sit parked most of the day waiting for the demanded 500 baht to go 2-3 kilometers... It is posted at the airport 500 Baht or no go (and the distance is quite short to the hotels... The van service the same drive is 150 baht... The Koh Samui authorities should bring in the side car tuk tuk as used in Ao Nang - much more sensible. And/or convert taxis to the enclosed utility trucks as in Ao Nang... The 4 door sedan taxis in small resort towns are mostly useless when other forms of transportation are available that are more suitable to short distance transport of families of tourists. I noticed in Koh Samui that it did not take long for tourists to go for the song taows even though hopping in and out of them is a bit ungainly for older tourists - they do it anyway... The side car Tuk Tuks in Ao Nang are just great - easy to use - cheap. The standard more modernized tuk tuk of the older design are great too. They really get the job done in Nong Khai ... they make a trip to Tesco a real snap... door to door service... not much haggling as they have to post a readable fare schedule. I am not proposing tuk tuks for big cities - but they are much more appropriate for short distance 2-3-4 even 5 kilometers in resort towns or small towns...

Ao Nang Side Car Tuk Tuk

post-135557-0-32399100-1407978245_thumb.

rejecting passengers in favour of foreign passengers

Many time I have been rejected and I am foreigner.....

Me too, i am also a foreigner; same thing happen; some says that it happen mostly during school time morning and afternoon. But the worst is at arrival exit at Suv airport where a fixed price is applied by all group if taxis refusing to put meter on.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand