Thai Driving Signals

1BADDAT

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it really easy to drive here

Once you understand the indicator system mainly on the highway you know what their thinking

The magical 3rd lane, going up the wrong way with the indicators on, as I read someone saying about the truck communication all good for me when you understand it

Plus they don't hold up the lanes if your in the right lane flash them they get out of the way or tell you hey I'm not moving go around me!

I find it great to drive here better than my home country with too many rules and regulations plus crazy speed limits if you go 3 k's over the limit gone on a camera for bullshit

For all those square heads that can't drive and will say ok your one of those insane crazy drivers in Thailand,

no I'm not I stick to the limits and drive carefully here as its so dangerous and I have kids but I love the freedom of driving here and not have to worry about cops, speed cameras, big fines and all the other stuff they come up with. As I said when you understand how they drive its a easy driving here

Yes, driving in Thailand is so easy. You can just do as you please, cut corners, drive on the right side of a double line, phone, text or whatever and don't care about anything.

That's why there are hardly any road fatalities.

Good luck to all of you out there.

i don't know about signals in thailand but i do appreciate that the thai people seem quite patient when you are making a turn onto the highway or somehow getting in their way. and the fact that you rarely hear a horn is a blessing.

Indeed, that's one of the good things here.

spidermike007, on 14 Aug 2014 - 15:06, said:

What really cracks me up is the use of the turn signal to indicate a lane change. That is a good one.

Um, you need to learn the law when it comes to changing lanes.....hint, indicate first, then change lanes.

• Like 2

johng, on 14 Aug 2014 - 15:35, said:
topt, on 14 Aug 2014 - 14:03, said:
thaipod, on 14 Aug 2014 - 13:54, said:

I'd like to know the indicater signals of trucks when following them on the highways.

I think the outside indicator means it is ok to overtake - except when they are turning right..........

Ant the inside indicator means not safe to overtake - except............

smile.png

I think its the other way round

Right indicator means not safe to pass. Left indicator means all clear ahead. I wouldn't trust them though.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are correct.... for some of us, this is opposite to our home country...beware.

spidermike007, on 14 Aug 2014 - 20:28, said:spidermike007, on 14 Aug 2014 - 20:28, said:
cooked, on 14 Aug 2014 - 20:02, said:cooked, on 14 Aug 2014 - 20:02, said:
spidermike007, on 14 Aug 2014 - 15:06, said:spidermike007, on 14 Aug 2014 - 15:06, said:

What really cracks me up is the use of the turn signal to indicate a lane change. That is a good one.

In civilised countries that's what you learn to do. Maybe you missed that.Or do you prefer them to just swerve out into your path as one guy did to me today?

It's 'manoeuvre, mirror, signal' here.

Flashing headlights means 'get out of my way or we both die, dog'.

I specifically meant when they are passing you. I find this odd.

Once again, that is the law...indicate to move out, over take, then indicate to move back in... As for being "specific" no you weren't.

Edited by Rorri

janpharma, on 15 Aug 2014 - 09:31, said:

They drive just like they did 100 years before with their buffalo's...when there were no llights, no indicators, no difference between left or right side...

A lot of education to do here again too.coffee1.gif

The difference was that the buffalo had more road sense.

• Like 1

masuk, on 15 Aug 2014 - 10:23, said:
spidermike007, on 14 Aug 2014 - 15:06, said:

That's the law in Australia! Changing lanes? - then indicate.

Same as when leaving a roundabout. Indicate when you are leaving (turning left in Thailand) so the guy giving way to you knows that he can enter the roundabout.

lol.. the law in Australia is indicate first... then change lanes.

• Like 1

johng, on 14 Aug 2014 - 15:35, said:
topt, on 14 Aug 2014 - 14:03, said:
thaipod, on 14 Aug 2014 - 13:54, said:

I'd like to know the indicater signals of trucks when following them on the highways.

I think the outside indicator means it is ok to overtake - except when they are turning right..........

Ant the inside indicator means not safe to overtake - except............

smile.png

I think its the other way round

Right indicator means not safe to pass. Left indicator means all clear ahead. I wouldn't trust them though.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are correct.... for some of us, this is opposite to our home country...beware.

"This is your past..." I once overtook a semi which had his right indicator lights on, (in Oz ) often indicating that it's ok to pass him. I wuz wrong! I took the easy way out and went around the corner with him. Now I just wait and see what they really mean. whistling.gif

Back to the subject of indicators (and lighting?) I've had a few near-misses, when a motor bike loaded up with the shopping blocking the headlight appears out of nowhere. Amazing that the bike was ever designed that way.

Unfortunately I have found that they often do not use their indicators at all - if they did it would be at least a warning that they were going to do something rolleyes.gif

The use of indicators is far too much of a commitment for a Thai.

• Like 1

In civilised countries that's what you learn to do. Maybe you missed that.Or do you prefer them to just swerve out into your path as one guy did to me today?

I specifically meant when they are passing you. I find this odd.

Perhaps they are letting the cars behind them know that they intend to pull out to overtake and letting the car they are overtaking know that they will be pulling into the lane alongside them to overtake them?

In North America flashers usually are used correctly. Flashers should be used when one is forced to stop in an area that is not meant for stopping - that includes the shoulder of a highway, blocking a lane due to a mechanical difficulty, stopping momentarily to pick up handicapped people or the elderly. In Thailand drivers commonly double park for any reason even blocking one of two lanes. They often remain there until normal business is completed. In North America we will walk a block or two to avoid double parking. Another legitimate reason for flashers is driving slowly on a highway due to mechanical difficulties.

I have to compliment Thai drivers for putting green branches on the roadway well ahead of a breakdown when there are no warning signs or flares available. This is an excellent way to get drivers to slow down. I noticed that truckers in Canada sometimes do this.

Flashing your headlights in Canada is usually reserved for warning of a hazard in the road ahead for drivers heading in the opposite direction. That includes accidents, wildlife on the road or adjacent to the road, fallen trees, farm machinery and police roadblocks or police radar stings or police patrolling for speeders ( illegal flashing of lights but true ). It can also be used to draw attention to yourself along with a honking horn for medical or other difficulties.

When you enter a roundabout no signal is necessary but if your intention is to go left or right from the roundabout or traffic circle an appropriate signal should be used. this usually necessitates a signal immediately upon entering or just prior to entering the traffic circle.

• Like 2

Flashing Headlights is good to keep from running down bikes that think they can u-turn without giving the right of way to oncoming traffic.

Flashers to warn you is not a bad thing.

Headlights unless it's pitch black outside is a strange one - maybe they think they are saving energy?

Missing brake lights - endemic and not apparently on high list of priorities of authorities - although very dangerous.

If you ask a Thai about the no headlights unless pitch dark, (even in the rain) you will get two answers. 1. Bulbs cost money to replace. 2. Headlights on reduce the vehicles fuel efficiency. I'm not being funny here. Well, not intentionally.

I have seen numerous occasions where headlights were also flashed to tell the other car to go ahead. It just depends on what the "flasher" is doing. The headlight flashing just means "look at me, I see you." and then the "flashee" must determine what the "flasher" intends to do by looking if the "flasher" is slowing down or maintaining speed.

All the indicating which they do on the two lane highways when overtaking each other is actually spelled out in the traffic code.

"Section 36 (500B)

[When a driver is to turn the vehicle, let another vehicle to overtake, change traffic lane, reduce speed or stop the vehicle, he shall display hand signal (Section 37) or light signal (Section 3[/size]icon_cool.gif. When the condition doesn't permit the visibility of hand signals (like at night), he must use the light signal.[/size]

The driver must display the hand signal or light signal not less distance than 60m before turning the vehicle, changing traffic lane, or stopping the vehicle.[/size]

The hand signal or light signal must be visible to other drivers at not less distance than 60m.]

Section 37 (500B)

[How to make hand signals:

a. to reduce speed, ...

b. to stop a vehicle, ...

c. to let another vehicle pass, ...

d. to turn the vehicle right, ...

e. to turn the vehicle left, ...]

In case that the automobile has its steering wheel at the left-hand side, the driver shall use light signals instead of hand signals.[/size]

Section 38 (500B)

The driver of an automobile or motorcycle shall display light signals as follows:[/size]

a. to stop the vehicle, ...

b. to turn the vehicle or change traffic lane, ...[/size]

c. to let another vehicle to overtake, the driver shall display amber light signal for turning or blinking red or amber light signal at the back and to the left of the vehicle.

Does indicating left then immediate right really mean I'm slowing down? I've only ever seen minivan drivers do it and I have never understood what it meant. I don't recall them ever slowing down either ;-)

The left-right-left-right signals I have seen used in every scenario imaginable. Yesterday I saw a minivan do it when there were no vehicles ahead of it and me back 20 meters or so. I have never found anything in the traffic code about it. So that one remains a mystery to me too.

Edited by NomadJoe

A signal of any kind in Thailand just means

" I am about to do something - not necessarily what I am signalling, but something; but then again , I might change my mind and not do it....."

My favourite is the guy in the right hand lane , doing 50kph with a right hand indicator on because he is going to either u turn or turn right 4 kilometres up the road.

• Like 2

Does indicating left then immediate right really mean I'm slowing down? I've only ever seen minivan drivers do it and I have never understood what it meant. I don't recall them ever slowing down either ;-)

This is what my coworker told me. I cant say for sure it is 100% true but I saw a tour bus do it the other day as well.

One that really that annoys me is when a vehicle is stopped on the shoulder, and the left turn signal is activated while stopped. While driving my motorcycle and coming upon this scenario, I always have to decide if the car is actually moving and in the process of turning.

Just a couple of days ago a car passed me with his left turn signal activated, and within not-too-many meters slowed, and then completely stopped in the shoulder lane even though there was sufficient room for him to totally get off the pavement. I was thinking that he was going to turn (silly me), and so I hardly reduced my speed until I came close to hitting him. 4-way flashers would have alerted me to his intention to stop. Of course, had he been a bit less important and slowed a bit sooner, i.e., before he passed me, he would not have interfered with the guy on the motorcycle at all.

Why they don't employ the 4-way flashers while stopping or stopped is a mystery. Again, it may be because flashing 4 lights consumes more energy than only 2, and so they're concerned about wasting money.

Flashing Headlights is good to keep from running down bikes that think they can u-turn without giving the right of way to oncoming traffic.

Flashers to warn you is not a bad thing.

Headlights unless it's pitch black outside is a strange one - maybe they think they are saving energy?

Missing brake lights - endemic and not apparently on high list of priorities of authorities - although very dangerous.

You will see police cars driving in conditions of bad visibility with only their sidelights (these should be named parking lights, they have nothing to do with making yourself visible, you see the car before you see the lights). If you are lucky the I-spy book of Thai driving' will have a 'police car with only one sidelight working driving too fast in rain and fog' page to tick off.

Flash your headlights from behind a bad driver cutting you off ........ That driver stopped in the high speed lane, got out of his car, began to walk toward me in my car threateningly. I pulled around him and went on, but exited into a busy shopping center lot asap. Did not see him again.facepalm.gif

Other similar incidents tell me clearly that..............

If you are a foreigner here, even if a black belt with a gun, JUST DO NOT PISS OFF A THAI. It can happen in a flash and, believe me, whatever happens, it will be YOUR FAULT.hit-the-fan.gif

This is a no-win country for foreigners..... remember the verdict of guilty for a foreigner beaten by a Thai mob.... foreigner is guilty....... reason, if he had stayed out of Thailand, this would never have happened.wai2.gif

I like it here, but I know now to keep my big trap (and bright headlights) shut.sorry.gif

• Like 1

... and yet as an Aussie, there it is illegal to turn or diverge without signalling:

LAW DESCRIPTION FINE LEVEL FINE DEMERIT POINTS

Rule 46 (1) Not give left change of direction signal with lights 3 $173 2

Rule 46 (1)&(2) Not give sufficient left change of direction signal 3 $173 2

Rule 46 (1)&(3) Give left change of direction signal (less than 5 seconds) 3 $173 2

Rule 46 (4) Not stop left change of direction signal after change 3 $173

Rule 48 (1) Not give right change of direction signal with lights 3 $173 2

Rule 48 (1)&(2) Not give sufficient right change of direction signal 3 $173 2

Rule 48 (1)&(3) Give right change of direction signal (less than 5 seconds) 3 $173 2

Rule 48 (4) Not stop right change of direction signal after change 3 $173

Rule 51 Operate indicator light contrary to permitted use 3 $173

Rule 53 (1) Not give stop signal with brake lights/signal/device 3 $173 2

Rule 53 (2) Not give sufficient warning of stopping 3 $173 2

Rule 53 (3) Not give stop signal when slowing suddenly 3 $173 2

and many other penalties from the government of Nanny State W_nk_rs which may shock or bewilder our Thai brethren.

When the slower driver in front, dicks around with the indicators to let you know it is now safe to pass ... you know, signalling left to let you know you can pass, only this time they're actually turning left and a ***k off big truck is coming in the opposite direction. Happened so many times.facepalm.gif

I do believe "Spidermike007" Was attempting to be sarcastic?

Same as when leaving a roundabout. Indicate when you are leaving (turning left in Thailand) so the guy giving way to you knows that he can enter the roundabout.

Absolutely wrong, (in Thailand) the guy entering the roundabout has right of way. So he should not be waiting for you anyway... True story mate!

They drive just like they did 100 years before with their buffalo's...when there were no llights, no indicators, no difference between left or right side...

A lot of education to do here again too.coffee1.gif

Actually this is a bit of a misconception - Thai driving is based on BOATS - river transport.

But not in Isaan...

I find it really easy to drive here

Once you understand the indicator system mainly on the highway you know what their thinking

The magical 3rd lane, going up the wrong way with the indicators on, as I read someone saying about the truck communication all good for me when you understand it

Plus they don't hold up the lanes if your in the right lane flash them they get out of the way or tell you hey I'm not moving go around me!

I find it great to drive here better than my home country with too many rules and regulations plus crazy speed limits if you go 3 k's over the limit gone on a camera for bullshit

For all those square heads that can't drive and will say ok your one of those insane crazy drivers in Thailand,

no I'm not I stick to the limits and drive carefully here as its so dangerous and I have kids but I love the freedom of driving here and not have to worry about cops, speed cameras, big fines and all the other stuff they come up with. As I said when you understand how they drive its a easy driving here

I have to agree with you on this 1 mate..

Absolutely wrong, (in Thailand) the guy entering the roundabout has right of way. So he should not be waiting for you anyway... True story mate!

I've got to ask where you get this info from?

One of the most important signals to watch for is the roaring engine sound from behind coming closer very fast. It means that the driver behind u is a psychopath that will overtake you on the left side and then break in front of you.

• Like 1