Thai Driving Signals

1BADDAT

What really cracks me up is the use of the turn signal to indicate a lane change. That is a good one.

That's the law in Australia! Changing lanes? - then indicate.

Same as when leaving a roundabout. Indicate when you are leaving (turning left in Thailand) so the guy giving way to you knows that he can enter the roundabout.

Absolutely wrong, (in Thailand) the guy entering the roundabout has right of way. So he should not be waiting for you anyway... True story mate!

This is what happens in my area of Thailand too. It's crazy as many times roundabouts become gridlocked because people don't let others get off them. If I drive further afield I approach with caution, see what others do. For me I enjoy driving here. I learnt to survive by being assertive. I make it clear what I plan to do using indicators, adjustments in speed (both faster and slower) and distance to the car in front. If I see a fortuner or a vios though, I always proceed preparing for anything.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really cracks me up is the use of the turn signal to indicate a lane change. That is a good one.

In civilised countries that's what you learn to do. Maybe you missed that.Or do you prefer them to just swerve out into your path as one guy did to me today?

It's 'manoeuvre, mirror, signal' here.

Flashing headlights means 'get out of my way or we both die, dog'.

I do believe "Spidermike007" Was attempting to be sarcastic?

I do believe "Spidermike007"'s driving ability is as bad as the Thai's....

In civilised countries that's what you learn to do. Maybe you missed that.Or do you prefer them to just swerve out into your path as one guy did to me today?

I do believe "Spidermike007" Was attempting to be sarcastic?

I do believe "Spidermike007"'s driving ability is as bad as the Thai's....

Sarcasm is of the lost on this forum! Attempts at humor also.

• Like 1

It’s ”Amazing Thailand” so even the traffic is amazing Thai way of thinking…

After more than 10 years surviving the Thai traffic I found:

The Hazard signal (flashers) is in my opinion used very well here. In BKK you often see the hazard is on when crossing a heavily trafficked street, to indicate no turn, but crossing, “please give me way”…

Also often switched on when reversing of managing into a parking lot, which is good to know that someone is doing some “very difficult movements”: Please take care…

And finally when politely giving way for, for example someone getting out from a side lane or small soi that indicates I let you out – where a flash with the headlight will mean: don’t move, I don’t mind you and I want to drive fast – and it is also an indicator to the traffic behind that there is a reason for slowing down and stopping; especially the motorbikes that will cross either side of a car in high speed and otherwise bang straight into the vehicle given space for to let out from the side lane…

Flashing headlight mean as you, OP, correctly says: I’m driving, so give me way. Mind the unwritten traffic rules, which may help the understanding of why some vehicles can flash their headlight and expect everybody to act accordingly. Please let me quote from the book “Thai Law for Foreigners” written by two Thai lawyers; page 95, about Driving in Thailand:

(cic)

An unwritten law of driving in Thailand is the hierarchy of vehicles. It is similar to the class system, in which the person with highest social rank or class receives the most respect. On the road the largest vehicle get the right of way. A truck or a bus has priority over a car. A motorcycle or tuk-tuk must allow a taxi pass first – or suffer the consequences. And a pedestrian has absolutely no business even thinking of crossing a street. If you don’t follow this primary rule of the road, you will quickly find yourself in trouble. Add to this mix of potholes, large number of one-way streets, vendors’ carts, intoxicated pedestrians, and the occasional elephant, and you may start to agree that public transportation or a taxi in Bangkok and the other cities is a safer choice.

(cic)

–And from the next page:

(cic)

The other type of roads is the simple two-lane paved road with one-meter-wide shoulder. As you drive along in your lane, something traveling in the opposite direction may want to pass a slower driver. In Thailand there is another unwritten rule that of someone is coming in the opposite direction and they want to pass a slower vehicle, they can use your lane to pass and you are expected to pull onto the side shoulder to get out of the way. To add to this, when you try to move out of the way onto the shoulder, you may find a motorcycle driving next to you. Since small motorcycles typically are not powerful enough to keep up with the traffic flow; they normally use the shoulder of the road, thus you have to time your sideways movement to avoid a head on collision and also be in between the mopeds moving alongside you so you don’t bump one of them off the road.

(cic)

–So if someone in the opposite lane flashes the headlights means, give way, even you think in the Western habit that this is my lane and a vehicle taking over shall first check that the opposite lane is free…

Left and right signals/blinkers does not need to mean anything, especially on motorbikes, however many or most cars do give signal before turning. The law says something like 35 meters before, but some may even signal so long time ahead, that they pass several sois before actually turning – and that turn can be to the opposite side…

Motorbikes often drive with L/R signal on all the time, they have just forgotten it or don’t mind, and as they often turn without giving signal, they will be signaling a turn to the opposite side.

Roundabouts are just an unfolded mystery – be aware that other dirvers may not know to give way to the vehicles inside the roundabout and some may take a shortcut going straight ahead, driving against the traffic, instead of the long way around “the ring in the circus”…

Many motorbikes drives with no light or no back light at night – they may even drive in the opposite direction of the traffic, cutting short instead and feeling safe instead of moving across a heavily trafficked road the correct left-hand-side lane.

Evening and nighttime driving at dark roads in Thailand, apart from the danger of intoxicated people behind a steering wheel, can be a very special adventure – or just “extreme sport”. One of my worst experiences was driving from Surin to Buriram on a completely dark dual lane road with narrow shoulders. Lots of iron buffaloes were on their way back from the rice fields and of course with no light on at all; and not even that, some driving against the traffic so the iron buffalo, still no light, driving in the right (correct) left-hand side had to take over. Occasionally a big truck in the opposite lane flashing headlights, and In the middle of it all, with “black” iron buffaloes either side and sometimes two aside each other, I were; trying to head in due time for the last airplane leaving Buriram Airport – might even have been the only one that day – and realizing that driving after dawn can be kind of a challenge, if not a nightmare, and take much longer time than planned; glad I planned lots of extra time for that trip…

Best way to survive in the traffic in my opinion is, never drive faster than you can manage to observe what others may be up to – or not…

smile.png

This is a no-win country for foreigners..... remember the verdict of guilty for a foreigner beaten by a Thai mob.... foreigner is guilty....... reason, if he had stayed out of Thailand, this would never have happened.wai2.gif

Of course.

Without foreigners no cars in Thailand....

......and no motorbikes, no phones, no computers, no tvs, no fridges. Not even electricity.

Bad bad foreigners.

• Like 2

Same as when leaving a roundabout. Indicate when you are leaving (turning left in Thailand) so the guy giving way to you knows that he can enter the roundabout.

Absolutely wrong, (in Thailand) the guy entering the roundabout has right of way. So he should not be waiting for you anyway... True story mate!

I've got to ask where you get this info from?

From doing the licence test. I'm not kidding, I know its crazy but that Thai..

Courtesy and Consideration for other road users are alien features in the Thai drivers Highway Code .

As far as I am aware there are not any signals , both mechanical or by hand , to inform another vehicle to " take the right of way, or please proceed in front of me .Have you ever tried to emerge from a T junction on to the main road ? it seems that the Thais think its a game and all of them do their utmost to not let you out . I could go on and on about my experiences of Thailand driving as I am sure we all could .

My main rule of driving in Thailand is NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING , CONSIDER ALL ROAD USERS ARE NOVICES

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i don't know about signals in thailand but i do appreciate that the thai people seem quite patient when you are making a turn onto the highway or somehow getting in their way. and the fact that you rarely hear a horn is a blessing.

Using your horn is not advisable, it may well cost you your life, due to loss of face.

Edited by Lunghans

Well said "cooked"! It is also a warning to the driver behind YOU that you are about to pull out in order to overtake the vehicle in front of you/ change lanes/turn. The best one that I have seen many times is the indicator flashing to turn left, and then the "offender" turns right. I think that this is mainly on motor bikes when the rider has indicated a left turn previously, but then forgotten to cancel the indicator, and then decides to turn right without indicating!!! On most cars the indicator is cancelled automatically when the car straightens up, but for some (economic?) reason on motor bikes it isn't. Damn dangerous!!!

I specifically meant when they are passing you. I find this odd.
Same as in continental Europe:
Wake up, you old geezer driving like a snail - I am overtaking, do not even think about changing the lane!

my favourite is when you "flash" some one to come out of a side road and they don't understand.

But that's a Farang thing , we seem to flash headlights for any reason , the UK Highway Code says it means " I am Here " nothing else .

I'd like to know the indicater signals of trucks when following them on the highways.

I think the outside indicator means it is ok to overtake - except when they are turning right..........

Ant the inside indicator means not safe to overtake - except............

smile.png

I think its the other way round

Right indicator means not safe to pass. Left indicator means all clear ahead. I wouldn't trust them though.

Sent from my V370 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I haven't noticed this signaling yet. Normally they just move closer to the shoulder if it is clear to pass.

Not where I have been. They all seem to ride the centerline.

I'd like to know the indicater signals of trucks when following them on the highways.

I think the outside indicator means it is ok to overtake - except when they are turning right..........

smile.png

Left indicator means it's ok to overtake, right means you overtake you're be squashed.

S

I always wondered that. We all casually attach our home countries regulations to here that may not apply. I think this is also the rule in one European country, France or Spain I think.

S

I always wondered that. We all casually attach our home countries regulations to here that may not apply. I think this is also the rule in one European country, France or Spain I think.

S

S

Does indicating left then immediate right really mean I'm slowing down? I've only ever seen minivan drivers do it and I have never understood what it meant. I don't recall them ever slowing down either ;-)

To my experiance driving for many years in Thailand, the quick left-right-left or right-left indicator is a "Thank you for your cooperation", after passing of a slower vehicle that keeps good to the left and let or signal you to pass.

It is also widely used in Sweden, but of course a quick right-left-right indicator.

• Like 1

The most dangerous time of day to drive, here in upper Issan, is just after dark. There are many motorbikes and tractors on the road without rear lights or head lights. The tractors move so slow that once you see them in your own head lights, it is too late to stop, so you must be always driving toward the center of the road just in case. OK, so I understand they may be too poor (or stupid) to put lights on the tractors, or repair the lights on the motorbikes, but I really don't understand the motorbikes that have working lights, and they purposely turn them off. When I was asking around about the reason for turning off the head lights, I was told they do it so the ghosts don't see them driving at night. I also was told they turn them off to save fuel, which it doesn't.

The most dangerous time of day to drive, here in upper Issan, is just after dark. There are many motorbikes and tractors on the road without rear lights or head lights. The tractors move so slow that once you see them in your own head lights, it is too late to stop, so you must be always driving toward the center of the road just in case. OK, so I understand they may be too poor (or stupid) to put lights on the tractors, or repair the lights on the motorbikes, but I really don't understand the motorbikes that have working lights, and they purposely turn them off. When I was asking around about the reason for turning off the head lights, I was told they do it so the ghosts don't see them driving at night. I also was told they turn them off to save fuel, which it doesn't.

Yes, I have also seen this in India. They falsely believe it either saves fuel, or is hard on the battery. Both false presumptions, and silly reason to take such a huge risk. The lights are there for a reason! Common sense is such a useful thing to have, as a driver. As far as the ghosts go, what can one say? Even if you believe in ghosts, to consider the possibility that a disembodied spirit cannot see you, because you do not have your lights on, is a bit of a reach. Oh, that's right. I keep on reverting to my tendency to search for common sense or reason. Wrong place.

What powers your lights then??? Unless you have solar panels that light only works because you burn gas to run the engine to drive the alternator to charge the battery and power the light. Of course you will use less fuel without lights on - and probably have less time to spend the tiny bit you will save.

smile.png

OMG, do you have a driverlicense or what?? You are way out there and completely wrong. In the whole world it means that it is NOT safe to pass.....You shall wait for the inside indicator if you like to pass (according to the truck)

Glegolo

• Like 1