Any advice for how to keep from getting "weird" as a Thai expat?

When I first came a friend who had been here before advised to stay for 1 year MAX as otherwise I would invariably end up getting "weird".

Certainly makes sense, living in an alien culture with alien speak I mostly don't understand, not much contact with others from one's own culture, etc., might make one adopt habits that would appear "weird" back home. And since I'm not a retiree I assume I'll be headed home at some stage.

So, does anyone have some good advice for how to keep from getting "Weird" as a western expat in Thailand?

• Like 2

If you don't know, I doubt that anybody else could help you.  Incidentally, you are not a Thai expat.  You might be an expat living in Thailand.

Thai expats cannot, by definition, live in Thailand.

That's a weird title.  giggle.gif giggle.gif giggle.gif

• Like 2

<deleted> me, I realize we just had a full moon the other day but is there something in the air today that is bringing out the soon-to-be zombie topic starters?

Yep.  It's weird, isn't it?

Or it would be, if there weren't so many of them.

<deleted> me, I realize we just had a full moon the other day but is there something in the air today that is bringing out the soon-to-be zombie topic starters?

laugh.png

Agreed, there appears to be a raft of weird stuff

Just be yourself.....I've been here 10 years and do not know what you speak of "becoming weird". But then again maybe I was "weird" before I got here!

I prefer being someone else.

Wifey likes me being someone else...last Friday it was a fireman.

• Like 2

Just be yourself.....I've been here 10 years and do not know what you speak of "becoming weird". But then again maybe I was "weird" before I got here!

ill bet she does

ill bet she does

Haha Hoohaa  tongue.png

I was friends back home with a few guys in the military who had spent a lot of time in Thailand. I remember thinking about what sexist pigs they were when they told me tales of their experiences. Now, I've lived here more than 20 years and I would imagine that I would fit right in with them. w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Being yourself is what he probably means by weird. Thai people are on the surface very accepting of everything so expats over time learn to be themselves rather than what western society expects them to be.

• Like 1

I was friends back home with a few guys in the military who had spent a lot of time in Thailand. I remember thinking about what sexist pigs they were when they told me tales of their experiences. Now, I've lived here more than 20 years and I would imagine that I would fit right in with them. w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

So, are you saying you've changed into a sexist pig, or that your perception has changed?

Being yourself is what he probably means by weird. Thai people are on the surface very accepting of everything so expats over time learn to be themselves rather than what western society expects them to be.

I think his "weird" is 60 year old men sitting around in bars drinking all day and being fawned over by girls a third of their age. Yep it's very weird.

So, are you saying you've changed into a sexist pig, or that your perception has changed?

Check out his posting history, and you should get a flavour

I think his "weird" is 60 year old men sitting around in bars drinking all day and being fawned over by girls a third of their age. Yep it's very weird.

It's fun though, in moderation of course!

• Like 1

Check out his posting history, and you should get a flavour

Yeah Cheesy Troll flavour?

• Like 1