"Terminal One" Coming Soon North Pattaya Road ... Terminal Huh?

Jingthing

Perhaps you have noticed the construction of a largish building on North Pattaya Road, west of Tesco, south side of street.

The sign reads "Terminal One" Coming Soon. I can not determine what it is that is coming soon. Do you know what "Terminal One" actually is?

Wild guess, but I would say Terminal 21 retail center.

They are building new Terminal 21's in several Thai cities. Khon Kaen, Korat and NST. The Chonburi location might be a very new project. Googling does not turn up anything with "Terminal One".

However if the building has already begun to be constructed, then it is certainly not a Terminal 21 retail center.

The building is up but it is a shell now. Advert sign clearly says Terminal One. Not Terminal any other number. My only guess is some kind of indoor thingie with hundreds of small retailers ... selling the same old tourist crapola ... hope does not spring eternal regarding Terminal.

I've been wondering about this myself. That shell has been there for ages and there was a sign saying JJ Market as well. I thought it was to be a type of Chatuchak Market for Pattaya. It is quite confusing but good to know there are some concrete plans to actually use it.

Quite a few of the markets I've seen around Pattaya attract almost no paying customers. The stall workers sit there looking bored and desperate day after day. They sell the same old T-shirts, shorts, wooden elephants and sun glasses. If this vast concrete white elephant is just going to become another empty market of the same kind then what is the point? If it was going go to be another big mall I'd say it would have half a chance, because malls seem to do inexplicably well....despite all the naysayers, such as myself, who predict failure, the big shiny malls seem to attract infinite hordes of shoppers. But this place on North Pattaya Road, that won't be anything but another market...so, what I wonder are the investors expecting? Do they know something we don't? A gigantic rise in the number of buses full of screaming, shouting, spitting Chinese perhaps?

malls seem to do inexplicably well....despite all the naysayers, such as myself, who predict failure, the big shiny malls seem to attract infinite hordes of shoppers.

Why, so they do, confounding all the prophecies of doom. HOW could that happen? It would be fun to look back at all the sneering on the forum at the construction of Central Festival. In fact, we can probably find those who will deny anyone ever shops there. wink.png And remember, it's supposed to collapse at just any time.

I love this forum! smile.png

But this place on North Pattaya Road, that won't be anything but another market...

How is it YOU know exactly what it is already before it's constructed? The Third Eye speaks once again. We are privileged. wink.png

so, what I wonder are the investors expecting? Do they know something we don't?

Isn't it just amazing how often they, uh, do? It's their money on the line after all. Now, they don't always get it right, which inevitably leads to the conclusion that they never get it right--because they're Thais of course. No sense of economics, eh. Such is investing, however. And unforeseen circumstances do arise. Now we all know that the Pattaya economy has collapsed. Been collapsing for the last 20 years. ;) It's completely deserted now, no traffic at all, wind whistling through vacant buildings. Tourism has died and will never revive. So build a project NOW--oh, the folly.

A common fallacy here is that what's successful must be obviously profitable immediately--crowds must be seen lined up outside and at every shop at all times, day and night, low season & high season. Every condo building must be sold out and every room must be occupied by it's owner, with lights seen through the windows every night, on the opening date! AND it must be crowded permanently at all times throughout the lifetime of a TV forum poster, as immutable as a granite mausoleum. Just being profitable for the time & circumstance, then sold at a profit to another business later on means failure. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

I don't think a condo. Never heard of a condo with escalators in the middle of the building. The silly billies putting up the sign ... not saying what it is ... maybe they are marketing geniuses ... and then again, maybe not. Waiting with baited breath for another place NOT to buy ugly cheap t-shirts?

I don't think a condo. Never heard of a condo with escalators in the middle of the building. The silly billies putting up the sign ... not saying what it is ... maybe they are marketing geniuses ... and then again, maybe not. Waiting with baited breath for another place NOT to buy ugly cheap t-shirts?

Let's hope. I don't think the market would support such (bunch of T-shirt stalls). If it would, then they'd be there already. It should be something a bit upscale w/ tourist appeal, esp to the BKK tourists hitting N. Pattaya Rd. on the weekends. The location's not too bad for that market segment. The other (annoying) possibility would a stop for the package tours. Suffice it to say that if you don't like Central or Mike's Department Store, you probably won't like whatever this is either.

So, as I always say, wait & see; give it time. When, in a disastrous move, Big C took over Carrefour, a large chorus here predicted bankruptcy--though that's in GREAT location.

Edited by JSixpack

malls seem to do inexplicably well....despite all the naysayers, such as myself, who predict failure, the big shiny malls seem to attract infinite hordes of shoppers.

Why, so they do, confounding all the prophecies of doom. HOW could that happen? It would be fun to look back at all the sneering on the forum at the construction of Central Festival. In fact, we can probably find those who will deny anyone ever shops there. wink.png And remember, it's supposed to collapse at just any time.

I love this forum! smile.png

But this place on North Pattaya Road, that won't be anything but another market...

How is it YOU know exactly what it is already before it's constructed? The Third Eye speaks once again. We are privileged. wink.png

so, what I wonder are the investors expecting? Do they know something we don't?

Isn't it just amazing how often they, uh, do? It's their money on the line after all. Now, they don't always get it right, which inevitably leads to the conclusion that they never get it right--because they're Thais of course. No sense of economics, eh. Such is investing, however. And unforeseen circumstances do arise. Now we all know that the Pattaya economy has collapsed. Been collapsing for the last 20 years. ;) It's completely deserted now, no traffic at all, wind whistling through vacant buildings. Tourism has died and will never revive. So build a project NOW--oh, the folly.

A common fallacy here is that what's successful must be obviously profitable immediately--crowds must be seen lined up outside and at every shop at all times, day and night, low season & high season. Every condo building must be sold out and every room must be occupied by it's owner, with lights seen through the windows every night, on the opening date! AND it must be crowded permanently at all times throughout the lifetime of a TV forum poster, as immutable as a granite mausoleum. Just being profitable for the time & circumstance, then sold at a profit to another business later on means failure. smile.png

So that whole post just to agree I'm right....well done

It is well off the tourist trail,so methinks no shopping mall,could be as the name suggests a terminal. The BIG EYE was renamed BIG COCK during its construction

If you've seen the show in there, you'll know how appropriate that is!

So that whole post just to agree I'm right....well done

Watching a movie at the time, Lucy, that didn't occupy my whole attention, so I threw out a few crumbs for ya. smile.png

That building has been in "dire straits" for 3 years or more...it is poorly constructed -- (Beware, the second floor is not that thick .) and seems to run out of money. It will be one of those hot, cramped buildings that rent out space to anyone selling the usual tourist junk. ... The owner not maintaining the place but collecting the shop keeper's one year deposit not caring if the shop keepers go under or not, plenty of suckers to rent to.

That building has been in "dire straits" for 3 years or more...it is poorly constructed -- (Beware, the second floor is not that thick .) and seems to run out of money. It will be one of those hot, cramped buildings that rent out space to anyone selling the usual tourist junk. ... The owner not maintaining the place but collecting the shop keeper's one year deposit not caring if the shop keepers go under or not, plenty of suckers to rent to.

To give you an idea of the "class act" that is to come, look at the promotion sign: "Terminal 1" painted on a white bed sheet hung by rope. Nice!

Edited by toenail