New Holiday Inn in Pattaya

toenail

I am just curious why the "owners" of the Holiday Inn would build another building very similar to the first behind it. When occupancy has been running under 60% (before the coup) why would money be spent on another building? (I did ask the manager at the Holiday Inn once when I was visiting some friends there, he gave me the Thai smile and didn't know...)  Sometimes I think some corporations in Thailand have money to burn and decide to invest it in buildings.

I heard (and I can't remember where) that the new block will be for high end guests prepared to pay high end rates in an "Executive" block. When I see threads and posts suggesting that Pattaya is doomed as as a tourist destination I think of this building along with the others that are going up and I wonder who is right and who is wrong. Holiday Inn and others are backing their judgement by spending money on new properties and so they must be certain that the long-term health of the resort is rosy.

a hotel like Holiday Inn is making good money with 60% occupancy all year around especially in Thailand with the low salary for the staff and of course its a investment for the far future as well.

• Like 2

I heard (and I can't remember where) that the new block will be for high end guests prepared to pay high end rates in an "Executive" block. When I see threads and posts suggesting that Pattaya is doomed as as a tourist destination I think of this building along with the others that are going up and I wonder who is right and who is wrong. Holiday Inn and others are backing their judgement by spending money on new properties and so they must be certain that the long-term health of the resort is rosy.

The original HI had a 2-3 month soft opening where the rooms were available at bargain prices. Then they fell in line with similar 4-star places. More recently, their rates have been a lot higher but their occupancy rate has been boosted by 'high-end' Russian and Asian groups, ie. not the Jomtien 2-star, buffet-grazers who shop exclusively at 7-eleven.

The 'executive' tower would be a logical development with the hoi-poloi camping out in the original 'family' tower (the kids suites are a great idea) and a more exclusive 5+ star approach in the quieter place at the back.

• Like 1