NCPO has started well, but next phase tougher: Abhisit

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems from that spiel that Khun Abhisit is having a p!ssy fit that he is not getting his way and is p!ssed that he is sitting on the side lines twiddling his thumbs. Perhaps he is not seeing many Democrats being accepted among the nominess for the reform groups...tuff...same applies for his crap as it did with Thaksin's lackies...it was you politicians that led or rather misled the country to the mess that it become so collectively shut the f...up and take the medicine the same as all politicial groups in their lawless, corrupt and incompetence self interest over the countries needs should be.

And if he bothered to read news articles Khun Abhisit would see that Khun Prayuths brother and the rest of the military people in the reform groups are happy to provide their assetts statements prior to the September 7th (? think it is that date but could be wrong) deadline. More bleating about nothing. No wonder the Junta seized power of these lemons

The Junta seized power from PTP and he is a Dem.

So, your idea of democracy is that opposition politicians never comment on current policy - or call for elections when under a military junta? The only "democracies" that follow that line, are hardly well known for actually being democratic!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

EricBerg post #7

Mr. Abhisit had his chance as pm. He could not do the job.

Indeed true but why could he not do his job?

Because there was a campaign being conducted, financed and orchestrated by one person to establish a new ruling political dynasty family.

Abhisit failed because he was self serving and beholden to a power elite that were determined that the great mass of the Thai population should not have a valid voice in the way they were governed.

Every academic study of the last two elections has determined the last two elections were the fairest and most representative elections in Thai history - the people voted for whom they wanted in power. You may not like it, and it may not agree with your parallel-worldview, but so be. You stating otherwise over and over in these forums won't change that.

you have a good point about to whom he was beholden.

in my opinion, his one and only job had nothing to do with "ruling" - his one and only (real) job was to win the next election. This would have given the royalists and their military backers some legitimate claim to a mandate and to a democratic facade. In this he failed miserably.

Whenever the next junta constitution is ready, this gentleman will probably run for the ant-democrats again. And if the table is tilted hard enough in one direction, he might just win.

But given Abihisit's proven track record of political/campaigning incompetence, if he does win, then it will be due to an overwhelming advantage built into the system.

I'm waiting on the next constitution... I don't think the junta will make the same mistake as in the 2007 version.

His campaigning might not be so incompetent now that he would be able to actually campaign in the north and east without being attacked by militant Thakisnites!

Of course Thaksin's campaigning was great - the only election he ever stood for, he lost!

I like Abhisit, he had a weak coaiition government that he wasn't strong enough to hold together. He also wasn't decisive enough to end the red protests before they could bring tires, bamboo and bottles of gasoline. That resulted in the violence that makes the entire argument academic, he will never have the support of people in the NE which makes him unelectable. He should step aside as leader and undertake a role as an advisor.

• Like 1

I once thought Abhist would have been a good PM for Thailand, but was quickly, and hugely, disappointed when he turned out to be nothing more than a "front man" for the real power brokers, and had no will of his own. Yeah, he's got the looks, he's got the personality, he's got the education, but he's lacking one vital thing - a spine. Just as Yingluck was "controlled" by her brother, Abhist was equally controlled by higher powers. Too bad, he could have been something good.

This is partially true. Abhisit had a very weak Dem government due to the mass (and mess) or coalition partners. It is not that he didn't have a spine (he fought quite hard against the road dust damping bills from coalition partners which was a ticket to graft) - but his hands were pretty much tied by his partners and his own party, and he had only a few months to get policy done before the Red mist descended on the Capital!

• Like 1

Mr. Abhisit had his chance as pm. He could not do the job. The present military government has accomplished way much more than Abhisit and Suthep and their government could. So his warning about the second phase is fine. Let him be silent now and wait for a long time. When the new elections come he can speak up again. But I doubt he will be competing. He's too much of an indecisive intellectual to take the lead against corruption and for standing up against the shinaclan. Reconciliation in due time can hardly be led by him either.

fair go

the Junta doesnt need to ask another group to pass rules and regulations they just say its done - absolute power

so hardly a good comparison with government

Definitely a great start...

With today news about a 5% increase of budget on defense expenses, and NACC declaring that NCPO does not need to declare their assets, things are going better (for them) by the days...
Of course no trace of those news on forum.

• Like 1

Who is Abhisit ?

I've now been in Thailand for almost one year and I'm probably not the only one who have now idea who that Abisit fellow is and what he stands for.

He's a Geordie lad - born in Newcastle UK. But rich; educated at Eton & Oxford along with David Cameron (PM), George Osborne (Chancellor of the Exchequer) & Boris Johnson (Mayor of London).

He came to Thailand and ultimately became Prime Minister, after the courts disqualified the elected majority party MPs on a technicality.

He used to spout the usual political stuff in beautifully modulated public school English, just like Cameron does back in the UK; entertaining for we ex-pats but a bit too English for most Thais who gave him the heave-ho in favour of Yingluck.

All you need to know really.

• Like 2

I like Abhisit, he had a weak coaiition government that he wasn't strong enough to hold together. He also wasn't decisive enough to end the red protests before they could bring tires, bamboo and bottles of gasoline. That resulted in the violence that makes the entire argument academic, he will never have the support of people in the NE which makes him unelectable. He should step aside as leader and undertake a role as an advisor.

So you think taking time in decision-making to save civilian life is academic? His advisors didn't account for rural bamboo fighters and petrol-bomb throwers; that was total mis-management on his part?? He was decisive when enough came to enough, and BKK was becoming a battle zone. That is pure and simple. He wasn't weak, far from it, he was pragmatic and undictatorial; he waited at correct times, and evetually the instigators revealed themselves as the instigators wanting nothing but violence and anarchy...... I don't need to name their colour, but it's not far from 'rouge'.

As for the support from the people in the NE, as you define it, he was siphoned off through illegitemate paperwork - on the back of the paperwork which paid voters and every named possible village idiot to vote 'rouge'. If such vote-buying had never existed (yes an "if"), then he would have been a fine ambassador for this country, and appreciated by the NE citizens.

It is clear he is an advisor now. Your wish has been commanded.

EricBerg post #7

Mr. Abhisit had his chance as pm. He could not do the job.

Indeed true but why could he not do his job?

Because there was a campaign being conducted, financed and orchestrated by one person to establish a new ruling political dynasty family.

Abhisit was a very capable and pretty clean politician. Too bad his record was marred by the coup and political turmoil. The only reason no other politician can do what the general did is simply because nobody can get the police to enforce the laws. The other power stronger than the police is the general.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who is Abhisit ?

I've now been in Thailand for almost one year and I'm probably not the only one who have now idea who that Abisit fellow is and what he stands for.

He's a Geordie lad - born in Newcastle UK. But rich; educated at Eton & Oxford along with David Cameron (PM), George Osborne (Chancellor of the Exchequer) & Boris Johnson (Mayor of London).

He came to Thailand and ultimately became Prime Minister, after the courts disqualified the elected majority party MPs on a technicality.

He used to spout the usual political stuff in beautifully modulated public school English, just like Cameron does back in the UK; entertaining for we ex-pats but a bit too English for most Thais who gave him the heave-ho in favour of Yingluck.

Just your opinion, parts of your post factually incorrect and full of deliberately misleading rubbish.

Who is Abhisit ?

Just your opinion, parts of your post factually incorrect and full of deliberately misleading rubbish.

Looks pretty accurate from where I'm sitting.

• Like 1

Who is Abhisit ?

Abhisit was a former Thai Prime Minister during the time when his democratic party was elected for several years and during this time his political and governmental activities were quite reasonable.

As usual Abhisit excells in delivering a clear politicial analysis. A real treat. By far the most intelligent politician in Thailand. Commentators on this post should comment on his analysis and not get into the usual pro- and anti-Thaksin shit. This is an analysis of the present political situation in Thailand and nothing else.

Who is Abhisit ?

Abhisit is that half Englishman , who is the best friend with Suthep and even a better friend of the General..... Furthermore he is nothing , he ever tried to run this country but it went faster down than ever before.

That is Mr.Abhisit !

Abhisit is Thai with Vietnamese heritage regardless of the fact that he was born to Thai parents while they were in England. He would only be half English if one of his parents was English. He is entitled to a British passport.

Remember where other certain revered persons were born before you make foolish statements.

Abhisit is actually CHINESE. He looks almost as Chinese as Thaksin.

Yes, the word Vietnamese comes in. His ancestors went from China to Vietnam, they was in Vietnam for a bit. They then moved to Thailand.

The Chinese features, they're not lost by staying in Vietnam for one or two generations. They stay forever. Everybody can tell.

:)

Who is Abhisit ?

Abhisit was a former Thai Prime Minister during the time when his democratic party was elected for several years and during this time his political and governmental activities were quite reasonable.

"for several years"

Just to point out that December-2008 to July-2011 was two-and-a-half years, not several, and that his ability to show his mettle was limited by heading a weak coalition-government, and the-Reds/Thaksin's stirring-up trouble in 2009 & especially in 2010.

There are murder-charges, arising out of 2010's events, which are proceeding slowly (how else ?) through the courts.

I'd agree with other posters that the latter makes his return as PM unlikely, he might yet become a minister, in someone-else's government.

Who is Abhisit ?

Abhisit is that half Englishman , who is the best friend with Suthep and even a better friend of the General..... Furthermore he is nothing , he ever tried to run this country but it went faster down than ever before.

That is Mr.Abhisit !

Abhisit is Thai with Vietnamese heritage regardless of the fact that he was born to Thai parents while they were in England. He would only be half English if one of his parents was English. He is entitled to a British passport.

Remember where other certain revered persons were born before you make foolish statements.

Yes, the word Vietnamese comes in. His ancestors went from China to Vietnam, they was in Vietnam for a bit. They then moved to Thailand.

The Chinese features, they're not lost by staying in Vietnam for one or two generations. They stay forever. Everybody can tell.

smile.png

Why is Thailand allowing CHINESE to run their country?

I am sure a local Junta is always better than a Foreigner, because Thais RAK (love) Thais.

What an utter charlatan Abhisit it. How he can so brazenly call for elections after boycotting elections that weren't going his way.

My money is on him being the post-coup PM, with or without the popular vote.

Sure, they discussed this last November, its all in the book.....

OK if you say so because you obviously seem to know more than anybody else on TVF.

Post your links to "the book" and share it with everybody assuming that you have the evidence or were actually there.

Of course if you don't have the proof and you weren't there you must be talking BS as usual.

smile.png

Why is Thailand allowing CHINESE to run their country?

I am sure a local Junta is always better than a Foreigner, because Thais RAK (love) Thais.

"Why is Thailand allowing CHINESE to run their country?"

Really chotthee, you do ask the most fascinating questions.

Could it be because Chinese peoples migrated southwards into Siam and amalgamated with earlier residents.? To me, that is a bit like asking why Americans allow Black people or Jews to run their country or why England has had French kings and German kings.

Chinese people are clever and hard working and have made their mark in most countries in the world.

Perhaps Thailand would not be quite as wealthy as it is today if it were not for the Chinese businesses?

OTOH the Thais could have an ethnic cleansing and get rid of all the Chinese Thais. Would that work for you? rolleyes.gif