Thai Paypal account: link card or account number or both?

I've just signed up for a Thai Paypal account since BangkokBank (and I presume all Thai banks?) blocked my attempt to add funds to my US Paypal account. I need to semi-regularly send funds home, and was hoping to avoid the 600 baht fee charged by Moneygram (at SCB)

When I confirmed the PP account, the first thing they asked me to do was link my card. I have a debit (visa) card being issued by BB due tomorrow. I can of course add that and/or the account directly. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to adding one or the other?

Thanks

I believe PayPal require you to link a card now to use their service, I had to at least, but my advise is get a Payoneer Card, that what I use for PayPal, its good for shopping, sending money, receiving money and it can be used in all the stores and ATM,

Its through Bank of America so I don't get charged by other American companies that I receive and sent money to.

Paypal for Thailand only allows the use of a Bangkok Bank ATM card for funding the PayPal account, not other method is allowed. That being said, others have posted here about how PayPal has the lousiest foreign exchange rates here in Thailand

Since I only use my Thai PayPal account to purchase from Ebay sellers that insist that I have a "PayPal verified address in Thailand" I can't advise on using it to "to semi-regularly send funds home"

Maybe others can advise on a cheaper method

I believe PayPal require you to link a card now to use their service, I had to at least, but my advise is get a Payoneer Card, that what I use for PayPal, its good for shopping, sending money, receiving money and it can be used in all the stores and ATM,

Its through Bank of America so I don't get charged by other American companies that I receive and sent money to.

I don't quite follow how a Payoneer card would allow me to send Thai cash home. I do have a US Payoneer and while I imagine Payoneer would allow me to link funds in there to one of my US banks, how would I go about getting the money I have in Thailand added to the Payoneer card? again, sending money which is currently in Thai currency, back to the US, is my goal.

OP: You're still going to lose quite a bit in the PayPal international transfer fees and horrible FX rates. Take a look at www.IntExpatFX.com. Its just a classifieds ad where you can find another person(with a US paypal account that needs THB locally).

Paypal for Thailand only allows the use of a Bangkok Bank ATM card for funding the PayPal account, not other method is allowed. That being said, others have posted here about how PayPal has the lousiest foreign exchange rates here in Thailand

Since I only use my Thai PayPal account to purchase from Ebay sellers that insist that I have a "PayPal verified address in Thailand" I can't advise on using it to "to semi-regularly send funds home"

I do have a BangkokBank ATM (Be1st), and I have a VISA/debit card (for international transactions) coming today which I have to pick up at a branch.

Do I use the Be1st card or the VISA one?

Regarding the exchange rates, thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look into that. So far, I've had to send money home at a Moneygram facility at SCB, and while i don't remember what the exchange rate was, I do remember the 600 baht fee. I'll have to decide which is worse.

I am assuming/hoping that I won't have any trouble sending money from my Thai Paypal to my US Paypal.

Paypal isn't the only option. Have a look at Skrill as an alternative for sending money to other countries. Better fees.

But won't the Thai bank (Bangkok Bank in my case) block an Skrill (a non-Thai entity) just as they block US Paypal? What's the difference and why wouldn't they block skrill?

And if you're suggesting not to use a bank at all, how would I get Thai cash into a skrill account?

Paypal isn't the only option. Have a look at Skrill as an alternative for sending money to other countries. Better fees.

But won't the Thai bank (Bangkok Bank in my case) block an Skrill (a non-Thai entity) just as they block US Paypal? What's the difference and why wouldn't they block skrill?

And if you're suggesting not to use a bank at all, how would I get Thai cash into a skrill account?

I have a Skrill account, linked to and verified with my Thailand bank accounts and one of my Kasikorn credit cards. It is also linked to my Australian accounts.

I can upload funds from my Thailand bank account (I am using Kasikorn, but I know someone who uses it with his Bangkok Bank account). I can then withdraw either to my own accounts in another country, or transfer to someone else's Skrill account for them to withdraw themselves.

Worth looking in to, I found it far better than Paypal for both fees and ease of use

edit to answer the blocking query specifically - I have never been blocked - there are certain security steps you need to go through when adding/verifying accounts, and uploading/withdrawing money. These might seem like a pain, but I don't mind them as I'd rather submit to some verification steps than worry about the security of my funds. Thailand appears as a country choice in the Skrill menu choices. No issue in 2 years using them.

Sending funds home with Thai paypal is not possible, getting money from my Siam account into paypall does not work.

I would look at changing banks then as I have no problem putting money into my Australian bank account by sending money from my Thai paypal account to my Australian paypal account and then into my Australian bank account.

I had to do this a couple of times whilst I was sorting out my K-Bank account to let me transfer funds (via online banking) directly to my Aus account.

I am not suggesting that you don't use a bank at all, I am suggesting you consider an alternative to Paypal for sending funds to another country, and one of these alternatives is Skrill.

You still need either a bank account or credit card at either end - to upload the funds into Skrill, and somewhere to withdraw them to at the other end - but the fees are better than Paypal.

Why you are writing advises what isnt true,

you can open a Thai paypal account and withdraw money only to a Thai or US account

for putting founds on your paypalaccount you can use any Visa or Mastercard from any Bank in any Country,

only need to be able to use in internet,

Kasikorn has a online card you can aply online and is ready next morning 10 am,

But any Visa or Mastercard can be used, u need the card number, the expire date and the 3 digidal secure number,

many thai Bank cards are not able for payments online and cant be use here.

That is strange considering my Thai Paypal account is linked to both my Kasikorn Savings Accounts and my Kasikorn Virtual Visa Card.

So unless by Bangkok Bank card you mean a card issues by a bank in Bangkok, then your comment above is inaccurate.

• Like 1

I do have a BangkokBank ATM (Be1st), and I have a VISA/debit card (for international transactions) coming today which I have to pick up at a branch.

Do I use the Be1st card or the VISA one?

Regarding the exchange rates, thanks for the heads up, I'll have to look into that. So far, I've had to send money home at a Moneygram facility at SCB, and while i don't remember what the exchange rate was, I do remember the 600 baht fee. I'll have to decide which is worse.

I am assuming/hoping that I won't have any trouble sending money from my Thai Paypal to my US Paypal.

why you want to send money from your thai paypal to your US Paypal, you can withdraw from thai paypal account to a US bankaccount

Bitcoin will give you very good rates from any currency to any other currency. The purchase is usually 1% from fiat currency to bitcoin + about 15 cents in bank fees. The reverse from bitcoin to any other currency is the same 1% + 15 cents or so. I have a bank of america account and a payoneer card, I do not think the two are linked in any kind of formal way.

Using the Visa card won't help you xfer funds to the US, I don't think. You need the $$ to go into your US PP account or bank account, right? I can't tell you how to do that easily, but I can warn you about Paypal. They will freeze your account without warning and for reasons only known to them. Whatever you do, don't leave large balances in your PP account. And if you can use another service, like Skrill, you should do so. I think there was a website called www.xe.com or something like that a while back. It used linked bank accounts to help move funds from country to country. Try a search for them. Or similar dedicated FX transfer sites. Good luck.

DO NOT USE PAYPAL!

I cannot stress this enough. Paypal will eat about 7% total from your thai baht to the final usd amount you receive.

Do not. Any other method will be better than paypal. They are at the bottom of the list with regards to cost.

With your concern on using Paypal. I think you may have understand wrongly about the blocked part. You need a separate account with paypal for each country you are in. So your first email account with paypal would be the US and you link a US bank account with it. Next create a 2nd paypal account with a different email, that is for the Thai Paypal linking to a thai account and so on.

To transfer, you put money from thai bank to thai paypal. Then thai paypal email money to us paypal. Us paypal to us bank.

From what I've known, this is how it is done. No way you can direct link thai account to US paypal.

But please, use other methods suggested by members. Paypal is the number 1 rip off at 7-8% total cost. We've done it, so we know. Other methods are roughly 0.5-2% only.

• Like 2

you can only have one PayPal account. I tried what you're doing and they wouldn't let me.

I know people that do not have PayPal now because PayPal found out they had two accounts.

I had a Thai friend of mine open a PayPal account and connect it to her bank. If need be I can send

money to her and she can withdraw, it does take 7 days to go from PP to the bank. But in reverse, I

can give her cash to deposit and she can send me money my PP and from there I can transfer it to

my bank.

If you're thinking you can have two accounts, you will probably get both of them deleted when they find out.

PayPal still owes me money !!!

A fund of 500,000 THB transferred from PayPal to my Bangkok Bank account never arrived while it was a certified banking account.

Bangkok Bank is blaming PayPal, PayPal is blaming Bangkok Bank. I had it reported to the DSI. According to my lawyer, DSI has investigated the situation and could not find any irregularities at Bangkok Bank. According to them the money never arrived in Thailand and still must be with PayPal.

My lawyer has contacted PayPal, PayPal is ignoring it, shipping him of to Singapore. From Singapore to Luxembourg and from Luxembourg to the USA.

PayPal does not have a banking license anywhere in the world!!! Don't do business with them !!!

Together with me there are thousands all over the world with the same PayPal experience.

• Like 1

you can only have one PayPal account. I tried what you're doing and they wouldn't let me.

I know people that do not have PayPal now because PayPal found out they had two accounts.

I had a Thai friend of mine open a PayPal account and connect it to her bank. If need be I can send

money to her and she can withdraw, it does take 7 days to go from PP to the bank. But in reverse, I

can give her cash to deposit and she can send me money my PP and from there I can transfer it to

my bank.

If you're thinking you can have two accounts, you will probably get both of them deleted when they find out.

You can only have one PayPal account per email address. You can have as many as you wan't so long as they are opened with a different email address

And that is what I was told by PayPal out of Singapore (who handle Thailand) when I needed a "registered" PayPal address in Thailand as required by most Ebay sellers

I have a US PayPal account for US purchases and a Thai PayPal account for Foreign purchases

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1

You can choose to use the exchange rate from your credit card company. For sending money home, you need to have another Paypal account in your home country, which is perfectly legal, since you can have a second paypal account on a different email address.

I use PayPal many times each month to purchase from eBay and other US sources products that I want. By the way, there is NO PayPal Thailand at all since they are based in Singapore, which controls my account. I dropped my US PayPal account.

Sometimes there are problems, like last week, in that a US eBay seller will not accept an international funding source, so move onto the next seller in this case.

I have my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card linked to Singapore PayPal as well, and experienced few problems, and especially good when sending money to the US. However, if someone is sending money through PayPal from the US to Thailand, there are many delays and Bangkok Bank takes up to 10 days to credit money into my account. Best to use PayPal only for sending money to the US or possibly other countries, but I have no experience with other than the US, where they receive money in their bank within 24 hours usually.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

my bank.

Buddy, go read the Paypal FAQ or send them an email.

Even Paypal staff admit themselves that this is the correct step to do. You can have as many accounts as you want. PERFECTLY LEGAL. Nobody is going to delete your account.

If I have 10 bank accounts in different countries, I will have 10 different paypal accounts where I can transfer to each other. Nobody is going to stop me. biggrin.png

I have a Skrill account, linked to and verified with my Thailand bank accounts and one of my Kasikorn credit cards. It is also linked to my Australian accounts.

I can upload funds from my Thailand bank account (I am using Kasikorn, but I know someone who uses it with his Bangkok Bank account). I can then withdraw either to my own accounts in another country, or transfer to someone else's Skrill account for them to withdraw themselves.

Worth looking in to, I found it far better than Paypal for both fees and ease of use

edit to answer the blocking query specifically - I have never been blocked - there are certain security steps you need to go through when adding/verifying accounts, and uploading/withdrawing money. These might seem like a pain, but I don't mind them as I'd rather submit to some verification steps than worry about the security of my funds. Thailand appears as a country choice in the Skrill menu choices. No issue in 2 years using them.

Okay well I certainly will open a skrill account and try it out but I'm wondering why BKK Bank would block paypal but not skrill. Like you said though, worth looking into.

Okay well I certainly will open a skrill account and try it out but I'm wondering why BKK Bank would block paypal but not skrill. Like you said though, worth looking into.

You said that BKK Bangkok blocked you from uploading funds to your US based paypal account. Herein lies your original issue. Paypal cannot be set up with accounts from multiple countries under a single login.

Skrill allows you to upload and withdraw to/from accounts in different countries. Of course you must go through strict verification steps to prove ownership of the accounts, but once done, you have a degree of flexibility which Paypal doesn't offer