Thais and the culture of just dumping rubbish with no regards for others.

Killian30

Recently I moved to a new place overlooking one of the central canals near Siam and have been shocked to see Thais throwing bags of rubbish in the water all day long, not only rubbish but just last night my GF called me to me "Look" there was a full sized bed and mattress floating down the canal whistling.gif meters away from the shopping centers where the police fine tourist 2000 baht for dropping a cigarette.

I was watching a documentary about how all this rubbish is collecting in the seas 1000s of miles away so this doesn't just affect Thailand but the rest of the world.

Sorry about the rant but I taught it should be highlighted. Not that I would ever think of saying anything or getting involved in any way, I just have to say "Mai Phen Rai" smile.png

Edited by Killian30

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live out in the sticks and there are 3 large markets near us.

Driving around the countryside you can see where the traders just heave all their leftover crap into the hedgerows.

But then again the police are not bothered to much round here , they are only visible when necessary , big accidents , road blocks etc.

Edited by NE1

As far as I can tell, it's the reason they put back doors in Thai houses.

My neighbors all have trash cans out front. 20 baht per month. The dogs never tip them over like back home. But you can hear the snarling and fighting all night long behind people's houses.

It´s kinda funny, they are so proud and say they love their country so much yet to dump trash EVERYWHERE. It´s a shame but noone seems to care and as long as I don´t have to clean it up I don´t mind (anymore) Open google streetview, select any random place/street and you will find trash.

I know I know, developing country, poor people and hard life and so on, yeah all true. But is that a real excuse to dump your crap wherever you are?! Noone says you should get shot for littering like in Singapore but a little bit more environmental awareness would be good for these guys.

Edited by I knew this would happen

It´s kinda funny, they are so proud and say they love their country so much yet to dump trash EVERYWHERE. It´s a shame but noone seems to care and as long as I don´t have to clean it up I don´t mind (anymore) Open google streetview, select any random place/street and you will find trash.

I know I know, developing country, poor people and hard life and so on, yeah all true. But is that a real excuse to dump your crap wherever you are?! Noone says you should get shot for littering like in Singapore but a little bit more environmental awareness would be good for these guys.

Been there....done that. It's a waste of time......

It is what it is.

Do I like it ... No

Can I change it .. No

Move on ... nothing to see here ...

Can you change it... Yes you can

You have twins, that is 2 people you can raise not to dump litter. It's a start..!!

No-one at the Farm dumps any rubbish.

They save what they can for re-cycling and then sell it.

As for general rubbish ... the Thai Family burn it.

All the Thais around here burn it.

We actually use the used toilet paper as the fire starter ... w00t.gif At the Farm, like most non-urban Thai Families, we can't flush toilet paper as it will overload the waste system. No Bum Guns here ... no reliable running water here to speak of.

I live in the reality that is Thailand. The Farm has many adults and many children living under the one roof or in adjacent housing.

As a Westerner, have you ever tried to change a Thai persons mind about a fundamental practice?

Do I try and do my bit ... sure.

I've bought the washable Modern Cloth Nappies which are used most of the time so the boys, MissFarmGirl, and myself are doing what we can to reduce the overall rubbish load.

It is what it is.

Do I like it ... No

Can I change it .. No

Pollution is like corruption ... when the Thais want to change their attitude, then things will change.

Not all Thais are the same, the trend is changing, although slowly.

When i go shopping for groceries etc, i get often compliments for my white cotton shopping bag.

Just a couple of days ago, the young woman in the vegetable shop told me: Ahh, the Thais want a plastic bag for every item..

To which i replied: Not good for Thailand !! .... She was enthusiastic smile.png

Not all Thais are the same, the trend is changing, although slowly.

When i go shopping for groceries etc, i get often compliments for my white cotton shopping bag.

Just a couple of days ago, the young woman in the vegetable shop told me: Ahh, the Thais want a plastic bag for every item..

To which i replied: Not good for Thailand !! .... She was enthusiastic smile.png

Great ... and that reminds me ... I use them also.

Not the same as yours, but the same concept.

It is what it is.

Do I like it ... No

Can I change it .. No

Move on ... nothing to see here ...

Can you change it... Yes you can

You have twins, that is 2 people you can raise not to dump litter. It's a start..!!

No-one at the Farm dumps any rubbish.

They save what they can for re-cycling and then sell it.

As for general rubbish ... the Thai Family burn it.

All the Thais around here burn it.

We actually use the used toilet paper as the fire starter ... w00t.gif At the Farm, like most non-urban Thai Families, we can't flush toilet paper as it will overload the waste system. No Bum Guns here ... no reliable running water here to speak of.

I live in the reality that is Thailand. The Farm has many adults and many children living under the one roof or in adjacent housing.

As a Westerner, have you ever tried to change a Thai persons mind about a fundamental practice?

Do I try and do my bit ... sure.

I've bought the washable Modern Cloth Nappies which are used most of the time so the boys, MissFarmGirl, and myself are doing what we can to reduce the overall rubbish load.

It is what it is.

Do I like it ... No

Can I change it .. No

Pollution is like corruption ... when the Thais want to change their attitude, then things will change.

You have a defeatist attitude if you think you can't or aren't changing things.

Like I said, you start with your family and it expands from there.

Thailand is catching up, slowly, but it is...

I agree, but be careful!

I once posted a thread about Thais use and abuse of plastic bags ( one for each item and drop it on the ground outside the store).

A very upset Thai responded to my thread and said that " If farangs did not invent plastic bags and make them available to Thais, there would be no problem.......It is all the farang's fault!"

I still refuse plastic bags at the store and always get that "crazy farang" look.

If I ever need one, they are very easy to find....on the ground!

education, or lack of it, I see people throwing rubbish out of car windows all the time, kids on scooters throwing icecoffee containers and bag onto side of road, ??????

and 50 years ago , it was common in north america as well

There's a soi here off the by-pass here where people dump their rubbish on one side of the road, it stinks.

The council or whoever put a stick fence up and signs saying not to dump rubbish there, now people don't.

They now dump it on the other side of the road where there is no sign and fence.

I agree, but be careful!

I once posted a thread about Thais use and abuse of plastic bags ( one for each item and drop it on the ground outside the store).

A very upset Thai responded to my thread and said that " If farangs did not invent plastic bags and make them available to Thais, there would be no problem.......It is all the farang's fault!"

I still refuse plastic bags at the store and always get that "crazy farang" look.

If I ever need one, they are very easy to find....on the ground!

If you look at post 12 I believe this is a Thai responding, sound like a typical response from a Thai.

I too recycle what I can, I do save up all the plastic and glass bottles and do give them to a Thai lady that brings them to a bottle bank and gets whatever baht for them.

education, or lack of it, I see people throwing rubbish out of car windows all the time, kids on scooters throwing icecoffee containers and bag onto side of road, ??????

Ian Wright, Ian Wright , Ian Wright...........

Hmmm....you must be into darts.

Ian Wright, Ian Wright , Ian Wright...........

Hmmm....you must be into darts.

Had to google. clap2.gif

The children ARE educated about trash, recycling and pollution.

At the schools they use the trash cans and recycling bins, even sorting out cans glass and plastics.

As soon as they get home, the follow the example of their parents and just drop it on the ground anywhere they are.

If you are lucky, you will live with Thais who don't just drop their plastic on the ground so you can see it everywhere..

The considerate ones burn it so you can smell it and breath it everywhere!

I run along the canal in Bang kapi. Over a period of time I noticed I saw the same few plastic bags of garbage attached to the barrier rail, along the canal. In time I realized that they were not the same, and they were not always there. The water in this area is filled with crap; I always wondered why and how? One day, as I approached this particular area, I saw a local exit a fenced soi leading to the canal walk. This is an upscale area of private homes. I passed and began running backwards watching him. This guy walked over, tied a few bags to the rail, and threw the rest in the water. I immediately changed direction and headed back. I wanted to see. This SOB walked two houses away from the canal, opened a locked fence, to throw his house garbage in the canal. This is not a Thai thing. This is not a cultural thing. This is worse than an animal thing.

(My MIL was furious and wanted me to show her who did this (she is a tough gal). I did not and instead told her next time I will take a photo).