Thousands to join Phuket parade against corruption

webfact

Thousands to join Phuket parade against corruption
The Phuket News

1408357160_1-org.jpg
Reject corruption: Graphic from an NACC anti-corruption pamphlet.

PHUKET: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) Phuket Office will hold a seminar and parade on September 6 in Phuket to support Thai National Anti-Corruption day.

“The NACC in Phuket, local government officers and about 2,000 students will parade from Sanam Chai Park in front of Phuket Provincial Hall to Saphan Hin on September 6,” said Apidet Kongkhayan of the NACC’s Phuket office.

“We will show our power; we will show that we don’t want corruption in Phuket,” he added.

Meanwhile, this morning the NACC’s head office on Phitsanuloke Rd in Bangkok held the exhibition to educate members of the public about the various tricks employed in corruption and the history of anti-corruption efforts and organisations established to battle this social scourge.

A panel discussion was also staged, entitled “Enough Corruption”.

Further in the future, a museum which will serve as a learning centre about corruption will open in the middle of next year so anyone who wants to know anything about corruption – and how to fight it – can come to learn more. It will also have a website.

The NACC today unveiled a pick-up truck painted with anti-corruption messages. The truck will cruise the streets of Bangkok as part of a publicity campaign to arouse public awareness about the problem of corruption and what the public can and should do to counter it.

“That’s just in the capital.” Mr Apidate said. “We have yet to received information about a similar exhibition in Phuket.”

However, the management team of NACC in Bangkok will hold seminar or similar event in Phuket this month, he said. “The schedule has yet to officially set, so I can’t give you any details at the moment.”

Some private companies in Phuket have also set up a network and have a continuous program to battle corruption in parallel with the NACC.

“Although we are private organisation, but we also join the parade on September 6. We have the same goals,” Dr Surin Bamrungphol, the President of the Phuket Anti-Corruption Network (PACN), told The Phuket News today.

“Our network has more than 37,000 members so far, which makes us stronger than any government office and means we can set up programmes faster and more easily. We have many anti-corruption programmes to train students – I believe the concept of resisting corruption should be introduced to people when they are children,” he explained.

He said that any association could join the PACN. “And please join the parade on Thailand National Anti-Corruption day. You will learn a lot about it,” he added.

Organisations that are already members of the PACN include the Phuket Tourist Association, the Phuket Lawyers Association, Phuket Reporters Club, the Federation of Thai Hotels and the State Enterprise Worker Relations Confederation. The Phuket Vocational College and Rajabhat University Phuket are also involved.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/thousands-to-join-phuket-parade-against-corruption-47933.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-18

• Like 1

One can only hope that at some point in time, the Thai people put their foot down, and say enough already. Perhaps this is the start. Arrests need to be made, and conviction need to happen, with massive fines, and very long prison sentences. It has been happening for many years now in Malaysia and Indonesia. Maybe Thailand is waking up for it's decades long slumber? Maybe? One can hope.

One can only hope that at some point in time, the Thai people put their foot down, and say enough already. Perhaps this is the start. Arrests need to be made, and conviction need to happen, with massive fines, and very long prison sentences. It has been happening for many years now in Malaysia and Indonesia. Maybe Thailand is waking up for it's decades long slumber? Maybe? One can hope.

Unfortunately, most Thais see nothing wrong with corruption as long as they get benefits.

It's just that they don't like the degree of corruption at the moment.

I can imagine a particular group watching the parade from the sidelines and commenting:

nudge, nudge: "him!", "yes, me too, and the one next to him", "That one, I'm seeing him tomorrow with an envelope", "what's your estimate?", "about 90% positive, give or take", "555, very funny!", "It's nice to see them all together, they should get out more often..."

Well done to all those people who work to eradicate corruption on Patong beach.

I am a 61 year old French tourist who winters on Patong from October to March, and I am anxious to find a beautiful beach sweep nuisance that was known

best regards

Phillip Lenders

Edited by LivinginKata
email removed as per forum rules