Wheres best for Songkran 2015

Captbonio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gents

I can see why you would get fed up with it....and why its a drunken mess.

Im sort of looking for a bit of a variety.. good natured, harmless fun, and if i have a couple too many ...its not an issue...

CM seems to get the nod, though it is probably a bit too OTT for me at this stage in life...

Thanks for the input

Thanks Gents

I can see why you would get fed up with it....and why its a drunken mess.

Im sort of looking for a bit of a variety.. good natured, harmless fun, and if i have a couple too many ...its not an issue...

CM seems to get the nod, though it is probably a bit too OTT for me at this stage in life...

Thanks for the input

I used to go to Sanum Luang, and enjoyed it. 10 years ago. tongue.png

Now I hunker down in the fortress (or leave Thailand entirely).

• Like 1

About 5 years ago I did this:

12th Hua Hin

13th Hua Hin

14th Hua Hin

15th Bangkok

16th Bangkok

17th Pattaya

18th Pattaya

19th Pattaya

Would I do it again? No chance, I do enjoy Songkran but I stick with the last day in Pattaya now.

• Like 2

Fill your frig with food and beer hunker down for 3 days. Thailand is running short of water to grow food and it disgusts me to watch this waste of a precious resource. If you look back Songkran was a gentle pouring of a small amount of water over a persons shoulders and this was when water was plentiful. Now its a water cannon fight. Its also a good way for the young to use up some testosterone.

"Thailand is running short of water to grow food and it disgusts me to watch this waste of a precious resource."

OMG do you really think throwing some water about for a few days is going to have any serious impact on water resources? Some people seem to have to really stretch to find some preposterous reason to be disgusted.

Do you think the water thrown about on Songkran compares to the water "wasted" by nature when she lets loose?

street-wide_1753056i.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

If you like the full on Songkran effect I'd suggest Chiang Mai. They start a week early and end well after the holiday has finished.

Thank Buddha I'll be out of the country as I don't really enjoy it anymore.

How many songkram have you been to in CM they do not start early and defiantly end on time, the Thais are tired of it after 3 days and are ready for some dry time. It usually starts around 10am in the morning and is over in most places by sundown of course there is always a few who do not get the message and will continue on for a bit more usually around Thapae Gate.

• Like 1

Fill your frig with food and beer hunker down for 3 days. Thailand is running short of water to grow food and it disgusts me to watch this waste of a precious resource. If you look back Songkran was a gentle pouring of a small amount of water over a persons shoulders and this was when water was plentiful. Now its a water cannon fight. Its also a good way for the young to use up some testosterone.

I do not think wasteing a bit of water in the city will make a dent on what is availiable for farming

This is what Cha Am"s charm is,so little,not in your face tourism.On the other hand,Songkran is full on.Non stop conga line of utes on the esplanade road.Hotels are 4x plus the normal price.Best place for me now is out of the country.Not running away from Songkran,but the heat in April and May.

• Like 1

I lived on "The Hill" in Pattaya during Songkran this year. On my way to 7-11 I was attacked by a little girl that was just a little taller than my knees. Her mother about had a heart attack till I started "running away in place" from the little one. The little girl was laughing and all smiles. 10,000 wai's and a big smile from the mom. On my way back, mom stopped the little one.

At the restaurant where I eat, I saw no such mercy from one particular waitress - always a sincere smile and a wai when I enter. Powder and water was the method of attack. After falling victim of the """"most brutal of attacks upon my person"""", I returned in 10 minutes with a large bucket of water and had my revenge.

Enjoy the fun, as long as it is fun!!!

• Like 2

Cambodia is a great place for songkran, they don't have it there!

Yes they do - at about the same time as Thailand but done in the traditional way.

They don't waste water! They do pour gentle amounts on an individual basis.

So if you want water fights it's not for you.

It's an exceptionally good time to be in Siam Reap - so that's where I'd go - despite some places being closed for a much shorter holiday than here.

• Like 1

Where I go it is only 2 days with very little outside of that period - first day seems to be more orientated for the children with magic street shows and children's parties.

Second day kicks off around 10 and there is a parade in the afternoon - loads of water, ice, powder etc - terrific fun and done and dusted by about 7pm - it is a terrific 2 days.

The only problem is then going home, sitting in the garden with a cold beer and listening to the ambulances for the rest of the night.

The best place for Songkran is entirely dependant on what you are looking for - if you want full on , Pattaya has to be the place - I lived there for 9 years and it got a bit tedious but if you are a first timer, it is hedonistic and fun.

Farangs who do not enjoy Songkran should really think about leaving - it is one of the defining events of life in Thailand.

• Like 2

Cambodia is a great place for songkran, they don't have it there!

Yes they do - at about the same time as Thailand but done in the traditional way.

They don't waste water! They do pour gentle amounts on an individual basis.

So if you want water fights it's not for you.

It's an exceptionally good time to be in Siam Reap - so that's where I'd go - despite some places being closed for a much shorter holiday than here.

Really? I have been there in songkran before and never even noticed!!! learn summit new every day.

It's a sad state of affairs if anyone feels the need to ask that question. But hey ho everyone to his own. I would suggest Mars, or somewhere far far away from Thailand.

If you think it so bad, why take the time to reply. He only asked a question get a life you muppet.

My answer to his question :

Last day in Pattaya is great fun.

• Like 2

"Thailand is running short of water to grow food and it disgusts me to watch this waste of a precious resource."

OMG do you really think throwing some water about for a few days is going to have any serious impact on water resources? Some people seem to have to really stretch to find some preposterous reason to be disgusted.

Do you think the water thrown about on Songkran compares to the water "wasted" by nature when she lets loose?

street-wide_1753056i.jpg

I would have thought that the major waste of water per head would be golf courses