Editorial: Don't be fooled by 'Thai-style democracy'

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not perfect anywhere but some are far worse than others

Constantly using the word Democracy by autocratic governments does not make them democratic but some of the uneducated might think it does

Organisations using the word in their name is a rouge and an attempt to deceive

I ignore the constant references (or popular buzz words) in Thailand and look at exactly what they are doing - Thaksin began with "reconciliation" rammed down peoples throats for months when in reality the country was falling apart

The Reds constantly used the word "democratic" from their stages and TV stations when in reality they were ordering people to go out and murder and if you asked any one of them what the word meant, I don't think they could answer - it would be something like " we win vote - we have total power - we can do what we want - try and stop us - you die"

History doesn't lie - actions speak louder than words - if I am walking forward slower than you and shout I going backwards - will you believe me when you look and see ? not if you look at everything in your view instead of just me

• Like 2

The problem with democracy is the people we often elect in the democracy have a different view of what democracy means!

So you vote them out ...

not if they control most of the voters by bribes - intimidation and brainwashing

Defining democracy.

Now there is a challenge on a par with the ''Labours of Hercules'' in the magnitude of the explanation or even the understanding of the problem posed by the question .

A failing system of government, which like communism works in principle but fails in practice.
ALL democracies end up serving the needs of rich interest groups and detach themselves from the populous. which in turn results in the majority of the people being governed by a minority.
Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

True democracy will take generations, if ever, to be realised in Thailand.

The old adage that if you keep lying to the masses, they will eventually believe you......very true here.....all sides of the divide...and now the military, rattle on about "Democracy in Thailand".....when really, it's nothing other than almost absolute freedom for the elite....humble pie for the masses.....complain too loudly, and you will be quietened!

• Like 1

Four of the most powerful countries in Asia - Japan, Indonesia, South Korea and India practise "western style democracy" as do large parts of South America and South Africa. Is it flawed? Yes of course, but it's far and away the best system we have on offer globally, including Thailand.

I'd love some of the dimwits who loudly trumpet the notion that "Western-style democracy" does not work in Asia to wander across to Indonesia and make that claim in modern Jakarta. You wouldn't last long before you were put in your blinkered self-serving place. Suharto made that claim loudly over the years and his place in Indonesian history as a military despot is now secure.

Great editorial in the Nation (sometimes they can do it ...)

Western style democracy is not an option. It relies on uncorrupt and independent institutions. What us dim witted and laughable is imagining that places like india, south america and south africa practice 'western style democracy'. 55555555 Edited by longway

True democracy starts with respecting the ordinary people votes, and trust each other's votes, more importantly people trust and respecting the ruling parties and opposition parties equally. For example in the US the vote difference is only 2-3% between ruling and opposition parties. If a party lost in this election does not mean that they don't have power, they have voice and voting power in the senante and in congress. That comes from right education and learning about democracy and politcal awareness. There is a role for everyone in this, like judiciary, press freedom, parliment and election commission. If one of them does not function correctly, the mistrust will grow in society and we will undermind the votes, and people don't come forward to vote, then all sort of problem starts. If i start pointing out the such good democratic countries, there will be lot of racial hatered comments may come here, i just keep my mouth shut for now.

Edited by NextStationBangkok
  • Like 2

True democracy starts with respecting the ordinary people votes, and trust each other's votes, more importantly people trust and respecting the ruling parties and opposition parties equally. For example in the US the vote difference is only 2-3% between ruling and opposition parties. If a party lost in this election does not mean that they don't have power, they have voice and voting power in the senante and in congress. That comes from right education and learning about democracy and politcal awareness. There is a role for everyone in this, like judiciary, press freedom, parliment and election commission. If one of them does not function correctly, the mistrust will grow in society and we will undermind the votes, and people don't come forward to vote, then all sort of problem starts. If i start pointing out the such good democratic countries, there will be lot of racial hatered comments may come here, i just keep my mouth shut for now.

Of course if the two parties are indistinguishable or are controlled by the same interest groups then you are back to no choice at all.

If you had even the slightest inkling what a true democracy is you would not be fooled into thinking what you have in the west are democracies, you are as indoctrinated as any thai. However they are much better than what thailand has, but coup or no coup that style of governance is not even remotely a realistic option for the forseeable future.

Edited by longway
  • Like 1

The problem with democracy is the people we often elect in the democracy have a different view of what democracy means!

The problem in Thailand is the people who got elected get always kicked out by army,royalists and mafia elite

Whether the mask is labeled fascism, democracy, or dictatorship of the proletariat, our great adversary remains the apparatus—the bureaucracy, the police, the military. Not the one facing us across the frontier of the battle lines, which is not so much our enemy as our brothers' enemy, but the one that calls itself our protector and makes us its slaves. No matter what the circumstances, the worst betrayal will always be to subordinate ourselves to this apparatus and to trample underfoot, in its service, all human values in ourselves and in others.”

Simone Weil

• Like 1

So you vote them out ...

How do you do that with either vote buying and/or all the media under control and/or all the available parties offer the same?

You are too focused on Thailand: For example: how would you vote them out in USA? The last 150 years there were the same 2 parties in power. Either the people were complete happy the last 150 years or they just had no way to vote them out.

Or why didn't the people of East Germany vote Honecker out?

• Like 2

Western style democracy has never worked in Thailand and never will until widespread corruption is got rid of. The NCPO is doing more to rid the country of this scourge than any elected government has ever done. I hope they have the willpower to stay in control until Thailand is cleaned up. Problem will be once elections are reintroduced will things just go back to the way they were before.

• Like 1

Of course if the two parties are indistinguishable or are controlled by the same interest groups then you are back to no choice at all.

A true proportional representation system and coalition government of the left or right will give the electorate a choice.