Can you get Education Visa and not study Thai , but Chinese , Spanish or Cooking, Thai boxing etc?

You can study anything as long as the school is registered with the Ministry of Education and get a ED visa and extensions of stay.

At some honorary consulates it is possible to get a ED visa without the schools MOE registration.

Be prepared to try 20+ Chinese teachers.

I have only recently found a teacher who can speak Thai well enough to teach Chinese properly. (right now I'm on an ED-visa for learning Chinese)

So far I have only met 2 that spoke English well enough, but they are no longer in Thailand. Seems like schools don't pay enough here.

So, unless you are already fluent in Chinese, be prepared to look for a long time. (same goes for all other languages)

ISAAN is almost a country.. lol

Isaan is about 33 % of this beautiful country.

I'm in my tenth year of "studying" the differences between Somtham Lao and Somtham Thai style now.

And of course the female population's behavior, how to use a mortar professionally. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Members you are missing the point....The OP does not actually wish wish to learn anything. He wants to use the ed vsa loop hole.

Cooking.......... yep staÿ a year and learn how to boil an egg. Oh no need to attend classes.

Wank***r friends of mine did thai language course in Chiang Mai. Did not attend a class or exam'

Obtained 87% on their annual report. Well done. .

Members you are missing the point....The OP does not actually wish wish to learn anything. He wants to use the ed vsa loop hole.

Cooking.......... yep staÿ a year and learn how to boil an egg. Oh no need to attend classes.

Wank***r friends of mine did thai language course in Chiang Mai. Did not attend a class or exam'

While we pay taxes for them......sad.png

Thank you for trying to read my mind !

I was not asking so i could use a loop hole , since I do not plan to live in Thailand full time and could get a retirement visa if I did......

I was asking for information, some people would rather learn cooking than Thai , I am very bad at languages but I like to eat :)

And since you do not know me how can you say I do not want to learn anything ?????

I am sure I know a lot more stupid things than most people !

anyway how do I start my own school ? Afternoon Tea anypne ? There must be a class for that too !

I'm about to get a NON-ED visa to study at PSU in Hat Yai. Master's Degree in Agricultural Development. In Thai. (I have no intention of leaving Thailand, but might decide someday to move to, or maybe work in, some other ASEAN country.) But it's not necessary to know Thai language because a student can do the thesis without taking any classes. That sounds like the university is offering a cop-out (sp?) but it's just another avenue of study, for foreigners who either don't know the language well enough to take classes for credit, or Thais and foreigners who don't need the classes because they already have the knowledge & skills to do their research without taking more classes.

I'm in Penang now, submitted my application this morning and will hopefully pick up my passport with NON-ED visa in it tomorrow afternoon.

Where is "Issan"? I see it written of often but cannot find it on the map.

It's the largest area of Thailand, a third of the population live there. It's a couple of hours north of Bangkok and borders Laos and Cambodia. Korat is the main city I guess? They have their own language which is a dialect of Laos really. Food if great if you like hot and don't mind eating things you can't recognise! Generally the people from Isan are darker skinned. You should make time to visit, fantastic place with mountains, rivers, lakes and flat land!

99% of Muay Thai gyms are not accredited with MOE. It is nonsense. I train 5-6 days a week and would love to visit some a few other gyms and get an eD visa for studying muay thai but the only gym I know that offers it is a sham.

To the OP. You replied to me about how can i assume this and that about you.

Ok ...1. You implied in your op that basically you do not care which specific course you do.

2. In your reply to me mention that you could obtain a visa with extension based on retirement

Ok here is your solution. DO IT.

Ed visas are not that cheap.

Do your non O. Then do the egg flipping course and tea afternoon gig and don't post such nonsense.

Your op would have most thinking you are not old enough for "retirement"

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Love to switch to the ED-visa for Mandarin (instead of Thai), but at Chiang Mai University they don't have enough students for these kind of classes (as far as I know). You can do one on one, but it s beyond pricy (over 100,000 B). How to get these classes filled up? :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Love to switch to the ED-visa for Mandarin (instead of Thai), but at Chiang Mai University they don't have enough students for these kind of classes (as far as I know). You can do one on one, but it s beyond pricy (over 100,000 cool.png. How to get these classes filled up? smile.png

Find more "students" who desperately want to study Mandarin ?

Advertise for "takers"

As the course is provided by a University most of the "Ed visa" mob will not qualify to apply ! smile.png

Edited by nzexpat

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Enroll in a university, study whatever you want.

Only if the University offers courses in what is "wanted" to be studied and only if the applicant can meet the Universities admission criteria which is much higher than the usual "ed visa" language school qualification of "high school failure" !

Only if the University offers courses in what is "wanted" to be studied and only if the applicant can meet the Universities admission criteria which is much higher than the usual "ed visa" language school qualification of "high school failure" !

AFAIK - the MOE only monitors grades from universities and not actual progress towards a degree. Private universities tends to be more flexible with foreigners that are non-traditional students. I know a few people who attended Bangkok University's International Program on the GI Bill.

I attended both Webster and Chula. (full ride at WUT)

I know people who have attended Ramkhampaeng and ABAC.

We (Thai hubby and I) are heading back to the US next year when his greencard is ready to study and work for a few years. Then we'll probably return here. (I have the employment history here to be comfortable and he's a leader in his field. But if we do it'll be to split time. Summers in Maine and Winters in Thailand.

AFAIK - the MOE only monitors grades from universities and not actual progress towards a degree. Private universities tends to be more flexible with foreigners that are non-traditional students. I know a few people who attended Bangkok University's International Program on the GI Bill.

We (Thai hubby and I) are heading back to the US next year when his greencard is ready to study and work for a few years. Then we'll probably return here. (I have the employment history here to be comfortable and he's a leader in his field. But if we do it'll be to split time. Summers in Maine and Winters in Thailand.

I am sure you must be correct which would explain why many Thai university "degrees" have little or no academic credibility in the West or indeed in countries like Singapore or Taiwan .

I am sure you must be correct which would explain why many Thai university "degrees" have little or no academic credibility in the West or indeed in countries like Singapore or Taiwan .

Could be, but my spouse has a computer science degree from one of those schools and is in high demand with MNC's

I just screwed around and took classes that I was interested in. :)

Edited by jdinasia

The OP is in BKK (BKK dreaming)

The answer is YES you can study English or Chinese or even Japanese in language schools in BKK.

But it won't help for extensions.

English studying students at Chaeng Wattana Immigration get 2 months despite having an English level far better than the officer.

I got 2 months too, studying Chinese, although they had no one to test me,but as explained by immigration officer, they don't have staff to check so you are required to chose Thai if you want to be considered as honest.

In fact, this is perceived as a way to avoid being tested, hence a scammer, so you get 2 months like everyone anyway.

In fact, this is perceived as a way to avoid being tested, hence a scammer, so you get 2 months like everyone anyway.

Unless you pay bt 3,000 in which case you will not be tested and given 90 days. Pitiful corruption.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1