Tourist Behaving Badly

chiang mai

Or an alcoholic. The last one I heard of ended up dead in an alley.

Actually, if this is referring to the girl/lady that passed away on the street in the City some few months back--there were other substances involved--apparently a visit to a Dr. precipitated her demise.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed - not all Greeks are lazy loafers who rely on industrious German's, Brits and Scandinavians to bail out their bankrupt inept country with copious EU handouts while the Germans save their banking system.

And you think others believe the world owes them a favor clap2.gif

Great stereotyping Costas - enjoy the kebabs tonight!

Drunks can often be obnoxious especially when in need of their next fix - nothing to do with nationality, everything to do with addiction.

You are absolutely right.

The world owes us a favour.

And we expect and demand that suckers like the German's, Brits and Scandinavians to bail out our country.

Otherwise they will go bankrupt themselves.

I call them sneaky greeks pretty smart. If I thought I could spend everything and then have people shower heaps of money on me I would be on the biggest spending bender you have ever seen.

Edited by harrry

Or an alcoholic. The last one I heard of ended up dead in an alley.

Actually, if this is referring to the girl/lady that passed away on the street in the City some few months back--there were other substances involved--apparently a visit to Dr precipitated her demise.

That one, yes, although I heard nothing about drugs.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=3411

It never occurred to me that the original post was meant to slight a particular nationality. I honestly took it as factual reporting.

Me too ...

Some of the politically correct Liberal prats on here try to turn every comment into a racist slur. It makes me wanna puke. These holier than thou type with a halo above their head but still have no problem rumping chicks young enough to be their daughter or granddaughter as the case is with some.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

First trip outside of Ibiza.

Ibiza? I'd guess more like a dag from Islington or Hackney and first time "out of country". She likely couldn't spell Ibiza, let alone tell where it is if she tried. May even be teaching here and that's scary.

Why didn't they tell her that if she buys 10 litres its ok?

I dont think it is 10 liters, is it? I think it is less.

Anyway, that would be the Thai compromise in all its glory and she would be happy.

Drinking from the bottle? Was she going into DT's or just proving a point and thinking they will have to let her go if she takes this chess move?

I used to shop at Villa at Soi 31/1 and sometimes would find myself in line with a bottle of wine or spirits in the off hours. They said something politely and I spoke Thai and asked if they could make an exception, quietly, and we smiled and walked to the checkout and nobody cared. Central would be a different kettle of fish, of course.

I mentioned she was a Brit because I am also a Brit hence I was able to recognize where she came from, a fellow country person, had I not been able to identify her nationality I would have merely said, a female. But as others have pointed out, I thought it was a useful descriptor, not meant to be derogatory or otherwise, just another piece of data that is known, useful or not. Ditto the fact she was blond, and the drink was a Smirnoff mix, both descriptive items intended to help build a picture, nothing against blonds or Smirnoff either. I hope all that is OK with all of you, if I'd known this was going to be a journalist master class I might have tried harder!

I have friends that are from the UK and are naturalized citizens of another country. I find it hard to tell who is who in this world of travelers.

I appreciated your post which serves as a reminder for me to behave in a civil manner and avoid those that don't.

Keep posting and don't mind the nit-pickers.

• Like 2

Descriptive for what purpose, a totally unnecessarily one - nothing more nothing less, merely a post about British women.

I could understand if it was a Muslim woman wearing clothing which obviously identified her as such, hijab or such, then it would be contextual and have some relevance, otherwise it was not.

Consumption of alcohol and behaviour when a sale was refused.

I assume its not possible to make a post saying how much someone dislikes another nationality and/or the women from that country on Thai Visa directly so indirectly seems probably best.

No axe to grind on my part other than the REAL reason for saying the nationality, it could have been " A Farang woman" which would be relevant to the post not a named nationality unless naming was the real point of posting in the first place.

This makes no sense.

Your point about "it could have been a farang woman" makes sense, but to suggest Brit blonde is offensive but if she were Muslim it would have been fine is totally hypocritical.

You're suggesting he was slagging British women but you would be fine with slagging Muslim women.

That's hypocrisy! And I found nothing offensive about his descriptors.

Nothing to be embarassed about. There are bad apples in every race, nationality and country.

I feel bad for her parents or are they also to blame?

Makes me sometimes wonder how much parenting and the environment we raise our kids around influences temperament or are they genetically destined to become louts.

• Like 1

Is the OP a Brit ?, if so should not the point be how embarrassing fellow country folk can be ?

If not a Brit then, the whole purpose of recounting this tale is to criticise another nationality and just using a spurious excuse to do so.

The sheer mention of a nationality invalidates the entire post other than to say....................

"Brits, the women are scum, don't you all agree ?"

Whatever the nationality its certainly not nice behaviour on her part, if it actually happened.

Do not dislike nationalities or races just individuals, sorry but that is just me being worldly rather than insular or bigoted.

At first blush your point seems reasonable, but can you imagine if in all our discussions about happenings here

we made a point to avoid any reference to nationality?

If a Russian got drunk and got in trouble in Pattaya we could only say "some guy with a Western appearance."

How would we even mention incidents involving Chinese or Korean or Japanese tourists?

It seems that some folks are very sensitive to any perceived slur against their own nationality, but if the negative

comment involves a Thai or anyone of a dark skin color -- let's see who can jump on them first.

"early thirty year old blond Brit female"

Not surprized, they think the world owes them something.

Similar behaviour, when they come to Greece.

Except, if she comes from Essex.

Then she is excused.

My daughter-in-law is an early thirties blonde Brit female from Essex.

Does not drink except occasional glass of wine with a meal.

Is a Chartered Accountant and mother or two well behaved children.

Next stereotype please.....

Take after her Mother?rolleyes.gif

I mentioned she was a Brit because I am also a Brit hence I was able to recognize where she came from, a fellow country person, had I not been able to identify her nationality I would have merely said, a female. But as others have pointed out, I thought it was a useful descriptor, not meant to be derogatory or otherwise, just another piece of data that is known, useful or not. Ditto the fact she was blond, and the drink was a Smirnoff mix, both descriptive items intended to help build a picture, nothing against blonds or Smirnoff either. I hope all that is OK with all of you, if I'd known this was going to be a journalist master class I might have tried harder!

This behavior is becoming more and more prevalent among westerners. This time she/he was a Brit, next time take your pick..

FYI...Please notice not one American poster said anything bad about this blonde Brit...or about ALL Brits Just saying!

Maybe next time share that courtesy.

I really appreciate the OP for his honesty.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

I blame it on the British culture.

I don't really, but you know if she had been Thai someone would have tried to link the misbehavior of one Thai to a pan-cultural influence. THEY are just so different from the civilized US.

I'm hardly in a position to assign blame.

When I observe misbehavior, I see it as the actions of the person and not of a collective group.

Civil behavior is one I subscribe to and when I observe the opposite, it reminds me to act contrary.

FYI...Please notice not one American poster said anything bad about this blonde Brit...or about ALL Brits Just saying!

Maybe next time share that courtesy.

I really appreciate the OP for his honesty.

When I observe bad behavior, the race, gender or nationality is secondary. It's taken years to overcome my resentments, prejudice and bigotry, but so far so good.

I stumble and fall, but get back up and strive on.

Live and let live.

• Like 2