When boredom starts to rule the day

swissie

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

John Milton

Living in Pattaya ofers so much more than the bar. But one has to make a bit of an effort. Backgammon club in Jomtien, Bowls on the Darkside. 2nd hand bookshops. Boules club. All require low levels of fitness and can be played by the beginner.

Then there is the internet. I download series, TV programmes, films and music prolifically. Haven't paid a cent for anything in 4 years.

Exercise is free. There is the track on Buddha Hill, exercise stations on the beach. Get down to the beach at Jomtien soi 7 and here is a farang band most days. Loads of guys meet there to people watch and chat in the shade. Also you have beach football, volleyball, windsurfing, jetski, powerboat competitions there regularly. All free.

If you are bored here it is your fault.

Edited by Sigurris
  • Like 2

I have never understood why people relate sweating your balls off 365 days a year to 'good weather' It's disgusting and not natural.

I know some like jsixpack will go into a hissy fit about that but there is NOTHING good about hot weather 365 days a year.

There is if you have a pool!

• Like 1

When you have done everything and been everywhere and get to know something is missing ... everywhere in in everything ... there is one thing left to do ... and that is the real place ... and the true 'find'.

And that place is inside oneself.

Silent, silent, still ... inside oneself is everything.

It speaks ...

If it has anything to say, that is.

I always have two voices inside my head. Both of them claim to be Jesus. One of them must be lying...

Ones from Mexico

trolls are out to play today.

Really? Your name seems to say it all. You mean to tell me you don't know that same farang of whom the OP speaks? Oh, maybe his name, nationality, age, and location are different, but it's the same guy.

But now I am bored sh*tless. I feel like I am waiting to die.

Im the sort of person that if you have a problem, sit on it for a little bit then do something about it..

So I have decided to go back to UK for a month at first then for 6 months then who knows? Perhaps even move on to USA for 6 months? My home town was the South East of UK but I fancy Tavistock in Devon, why? Cos there is so much to do & to fill my days..walk on Dartmoor visiting Dartmeet to step on the rocks there on the river, have a Devon cream tea. Again hire electric bikes for a half day tour. Visit Buckfastleigh & the Abbey. Fishing on River Tavy around Tavistock (without the fear of snakes etc & the heat all the time, Im sorry if you are hot there are only so many things you can do, but if you are cold buy the right clothes which is what I have done for my Wife). Days out to Padstow (decent beer instead of bloody Chang etc & a pastyaroi), Bude, Clovelly & Lynmouth North Devon. Or going south of Tavistock, Paignton, Plymouth (Jim Davison is there in the coming months), Looe, Polperro. In Tavistock its self the Panier Market has different things most days (arts & crafts, local produce, antiques etc). There is a cinema, & tribute bands (again in the next few months Gensis & Os-sis). Rent a flat for 6 months or 12 months, or buy a 30 foot caravan is another option? Still want more to do visit the many National trust places an annual ticket for 2 is only £98, or the gardens that are around Lost Gardens of Heligan or The Eden Project, there are many markets in different towns on different days & there meat is not covered in a 1,000 flies like Thailand. Again pop into a travel agents & say I want to go to Tenerife tomorrow & get a bargain.

I dont have a good education but it does surprise me how many have degrees & have so little. Did they not think about their retired years, did they not know it costs more to be retired than to actually work, you need more money? Go back to your own Country & get you Gov: pension upgraded is one way. Go round the weekend markets & try to make a bit on your finds on E-bay, I know somebody that does that. A friend here who has since died bless him sold boats in the UK, he loved his job but only survived here on his Gov: pension of 38,000 baht a month? Did he not think about the future?

I have been lucky, I fell into my boring job that I loved, it suited me & I suited it. I started earning my pension rights the day I started there 1 month before my 17th b/d. Phuket the same I think as Pattaya not an easy place to make friends if you dont go to the bars, but then I dont suffer fools gladly. My wife is happy to follow me & I am so happy for that cos we can discover together, but I am happy to return for 5 or 6 moths to visit her family etc.

Excellent! I agree: the UK is wonderful: so much to see, great museums, culture, scenery, pubs, chippys. NHS! Starbucks is donating tax to HMRC now. What's not to like except the weather? wink.png Your post should encourage many of our Brit complainers to move back.

But no KFC ~!!!

why dont you get him to take his laptop to the bar and use their free wifi? then he can pad out the day by telling everyone else to "go home if you dont like it here" and the 3 or 4 other repeat cliche replies we read every day on this forum

..........it seems to work for most.....

trolls are out to play today.

Really? Your name seems to say it all. You mean to tell me you don't know that same farang of whom the OP speaks? Oh, maybe his name, nationality, age, and location are different, but it's the same guy.

This thread has been remarkably troll-free so far, amazingly enough. Of course, some our more incorrigible trolls finally have been given permanent vacations, heh, heh. The topic is meaningful and resonates w/ many of our retirees, I think, though it has been discussed before.

Edited by JSixpack

I have never understood why people relate sweating your balls off 365 days a year to 'good weather' It's disgusting and not natural.

I know some like jsixpack will go into a hissy fit about that but there is NOTHING good about hot weather 365 days a year.

Hot is relative, but then I've lived most of my life in the tropics so I enjoy the weather even if it does get a little cool around Christmas. A nice fire in the yard takes care of that.

• Like 1

Sorry about your friend.With so many people to help and share with.Odd anybody could ever be bored. I suppose if person just thinks it is always all about them,

the pathology of boredom could over take them. Kindness doesn't cost it pays.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

John Milton

Living in Pattaya ofers so much more than the bar. But one has to make a bit of an effort. Backgammon club in Jomtien, Bowls on the Darkside. 2nd hand bookshops. Boules club. All require low levels of fitness and can be played by the beginner.

Then there is the internet. I download series, TV programmes, films and music prolifically. Haven't paid a cent for anything in 4 years.

Exercise is free. There is the track on Buddha Hill, exercise stations on the beach. Get down to the beach at Jomtien soi 7 and here is a farang band most days. Loads of guys meet there to people watch and chat in the shade. Also you have beach football, volleyball, windsurfing, jetski, powerboat competitions there regularly. All free.

If you are bored here it is your fault.

I agree there is so much to do in Pattaya for free. So many interesting places sometimes I don't believe where the time goes. You have to make an effort and plan a little. Dont forget some people work all year and save to come here for 2 Weeks. Its too easy to stop appreciating what we have. Sun ,sand ,sea ,girls good cheap food. We can have an action packed day or just stay in bed all day!

My advice to your friend would be to stop the beer, drink water for 3 weeks,give himself a slap,and start appreciating life.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the guy. like a number of other posters I find filling the days here is easy. There are so many things you can do, and for little cost. Books, exercise, golf, etc etc. They have all been mentioned. I have UK TV, so can watch all channels when I like.

I don't drink, not because I have an aversion to it, it's simply no drink drive for me and bars are of no interest.

I think the secret for the OP is to try and stop the drinking (this has been mentioned by others). As I understand it, booze is a depressant anyway. But, the key thing is to be 'at peace with yourself' if you are going to have any chance of a contentful retirement.

I have no problem with my home country, the UK. What I mean by that is that often some members bad mouth their own country on these forums. But, but, but...........it can be great in the summer, but let's not forget those dreary damp and dark weeks, or months, from November through to March. I reckon the last 7 winters in the UK living in a flat would have finished me, whereas here, I know it's going to be warm every day and you can go for long walks in the day or play some sport and then sit on the verandah at night with a good book or catch up with the news etc on Channel 4.

I remember being in south Carolina some years ago and going out for an evening stroll. There were no people about at all!. I couldn't believe it until I realised everyone travelled by car. At least in Thailand there is a 'buzz' when you go out and about, either here on the dark side or in town.

Now I could take every word you quote travelled (all over the world) know languages,can swim, (gym or swim every day)volunteer,got good pensions,done it all and got the T shirt.

My times done in Thailand, and as you say 5 or 6 years ,need a change,Spain for me then.

Still hanging on for a bit though ,too many ties to just break away. Hoping a boot up the arse from Thailand govt.,be it compulsary medical insurance for visa or similar would do the trick.

But boredem is a problem,thank God for kindle and computer and bar girls

Tell your mate, to read Shakespeare. The bar girls will be mightily impressed, I'm sure. Here is an excerpt from Henry IV, part 1, and the only part I remember from covering it in my school days (OK, only the first 2 lines and I still get it wrong). However, having lived in Bangkok for 10 years of idle bliss (I don't frequent bars so much), I can't say it has applied to me in all senses. Booze also leads to depression - cut right down and the gloom will lift (although it didn't seem to apply to Falstaff. Mmmm maybe Shakespeare wasn't right after all):

If all the year were playing holidays,
To sport would be as tedious as to work,
But when they seldom come, they wished for come,
And nothing pleaseth but rare accidents.
So when this loose behavior I throw off
And pay the debt I never promisèd,
By how much better than my word I am,
By so much shall I falsify men’s hopes;
And, like bright metal on a sullen ground,
My reformation, glitt'ring o'er my fault,
Shall show more goodly and attract more eyes
Than that which hath no foil to set it off.
I’ll so offend to make offense a skill,
Redeeming time when men think least I will.

It might be apposite to recall that Prince Hal says something like this to the (fat) Falstaff:

The grave gapes thrice wider for thee

Than for other men

A fate that awaits us all.....

• Like 1

Now I could take every word you quote travelled (all over the world) know languages,can swim, (gym or swim every day)volunteer,got good pensions,done it all and got the T shirt.

My times done in Thailand, and as you say 5 or 6 years ,need a change,Spain for me then.

Still hanging on for a bit though ,too many ties to just break away. Hoping a boot up the arse from Thailand govt.,be it compulsary medical insurance for visa or similar would do the trick.

I've contemplated going back to Spain - I was there for years - but the cost of living is 2 or 3 times greater than here... blink.png

So I have decided to go back to UK for a month at first then for 6 months then who knows? Perhaps even move on to USA for 6 months? My home town was the South East of UK but I fancy “Tavistock in Devon”, why? Cos there is so much to do & to fill my days……..walk on Dartmoor visiting Dartmeet to step on the rocks there on the river, have a Devon cream tea. Again hire electric bikes for a half day tour. Visit Buckfastleigh & the Abbey. Fishing on River Tavy around Tavistock (without the fear of snakes etc & the heat all the time, I’m sorry if you are hot there are only so many things you can do, but if you are cold buy the right clothes which is what I have done for my Wife). Days out to Padstow (decent beer instead of bloody Chang etc & a pasty…aroi), Bude, Clovelly & Lynmouth North Devon. Or going south of Tavistock, Paignton, Plymouth (Jim Davison is there in the coming months), Looe, Polperro. In Tavistock it’s self the Panier Market has different things most days (arts & crafts, local produce, antiques etc). There is a cinema, & tribute bands (again in the next few months Gensis & Os-sis). Rent a flat for 6 months or 12 months, or buy a 30 foot caravan is another option? Still want more to do visit the many National trust places an annual ticket for 2 is only £98, or the gardens that are around Lost Gardens of Heligan or The Eden Project, there are many markets in different towns on different days & there meat is not covered in a 1,000 flies like Thailand. Again pop into a travel agents & say I want to go to Tenerife tomorrow & get a bargain.

I don’t have a good education but it does surprise me how many have degree’s & have so little. Did they not think about their retired years, did they not know it costs more to be retired than to actually work, you need more money? Go back to your own Country & get you Gov: pension upgraded is one way. Go round the weekend markets & try to make a bit on your finds on E-bay, I know somebody that does that. A friend here who has since died bless him sold boats in the UK, he loved his job but only survived here on his Gov: pension of 38,000 baht a month? Did he not think about the future?

I have been lucky, I fell into my boring job that I loved, it suited me & I suited it. I started earning my pension rights the day I started there 1 month before my 17th b/d. Phuket the same I think as Pattaya not an easy place to make friends if you don’t go to the bars, but then I don’t suffer fools gladly. My wife is happy to follow me & I am so happy for that cos we can discover together, but I am happy to return for 5 or 6 moths to visit her family etc.

If only it wasn't raining for 200 days of the year.

Devon cream tea, expensive.

Fishing, even more expensive.

Padstow, really, really expensive.

All those places, 100bht/hour to park your car, Even if you have the NT season ticket.

Being a tourist is great for a couple of weeks, living there isn't so great.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I've contemplated going back to Spain - I was there for years - but the cost of living is 2 or 3 times greater than here... blink.png

But quality of life is far greater. Every day estate agents in Spain email me with house offers,cannot believe how cheap housing is now,be it renting or buying. Take a look in one of the supermarkets there to here,go compare,half the price there

Just want to live in clean,law abiding country. Thailand is nothing but a .... ..., OK there are quite a few hangers on,convincing themselves life is the cream of the crop here,it ain't and never will be,just a bolt hole ,a temporary one at that. The 12 month visa extension is just a leash that can be cut at any time.

But quality of life is far greater. Every day estate agents in Spain email me with house offers,cannot believe how cheap housing is now,be it renting or buying. Take a look in one of the supermarkets there to here,go compare,half the price there

Just want to live in clean,law abiding country. Thailand is nothing but a .... ..., OK there are quite a few hangers on,convincing themselves life is the cream of the crop here,it ain't and never will be,just a bolt hole ,a temporary one at that. The 12 month visa extension is just a leash that can be cut at any time.

Quality of life depends - I suppose - on your expectations and the ability to accept that "This isn't Kansas". Thailand is not Spain or UK. Spain is not UK. Everywhere is different and people largely forget that and try to mould the place they live in to satisfy their requirements, rather than looking at how they can adapt and be more comfortable in the foreign environment. Look at all the moaning posts on TVisa to see how they complain that it "shouldn't be like that" or whatever. Dissatisfaction has started before they look at where they really are.

I agree that Spain is not third world, but it's far from perfect. Housing in Spain is same as anywhere -- you get what you pay for. A cheap condo in Spain will not be any better than here. I regularly go back to Spain to see my friends and prices are high. Mercadona food is twice as expensive as BigC for the same stuff. Pubic transport is almost non-existant - you really must have a car to get around. Crime in Spain is bad, especially around resorts. Eating out is extortionate. If it is only the price and the climate under consideration, Thailand wins hands down.

• Like 1

Dear Viewers!

I lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years where i worked as a " holiday rep " ( sex on tap ) Ladies kind respect where due... and then became a professional tour guide for a few years.I moved to Thailand just over 3 years ago to try a new life in a Country i have visited many times in the past. Spain & The Canary islands are very expensive " Carrefour " is like shopping in " Harrods of London " and rents are extremely high! ( i was fortunate enough to be paid rather well for " talking absolute rubbish " all day.)

I like Thailand and suits me because i am " not materialistic " i live an amazingly cheap lifestyle too! But you need hobbies & interests i love " Walking,Sun,Taking Photos,cooking,Train adventures and long bike rides ( bicycle ) I am outside most days.Although i live in Pattaya ( Naklua ) i do not drink and waste my time in bars! neither do i " sit indoors all day watching TV like some farang! lol )

The problem is that many people do NOT know how to enjoy themselves and need " a good kick up the Jaxi " clap2.gif

Farang Jaidee wub.png

• Like 1

I am sure the new PM just installed will treat farang as welcoming guests too.

Not just the perceived or supposed boredom that farangs suffer,but the total indiffence the Thais now display for farang,no welcoming mat for sure anymore. You are a less than a welcomed species

My money is on whatever it takes for Thailand PLC to get rid of long stay farang by whatever means it takes in a year or two,be it visa,medical insurance,or just being too bloody old

Maybe he needs to go home for a while. It will remind him why he moved here in the first place.

Good reply, yes go home and try it.

I did and boy, did it remind me, it is so much better in my home country.

It is lovely here, gets a bit cold, so I put on a jacket. So many more options. Lovely !

I'm in Blackpool today, tomorrow London and later South Devon. Planning Cornwall in the next couple of weeks.

I have my bicycle with me and take it on the train and then cycle off wherever I am. It's GREAT !

I hope I am never ever forced to go back to SE Asia let alone Thailand and even worse Pattaya.

So well done for your advice to OP, TRY IT ! You won't want to go back to the Oven.

Blackpool v Pattaya ?

Get real !

Oh Blackpool , crap weather 90% of the time . Crap beach . Full of pissheads wanting to fight each other. Lots of things to do as long its only playing on machines in the arcades. The pleasure beach , lol what a joke that is , decades old fun park overpriced and crap rides. 5 quid for a beer . And on and on and on.

Best thing from their is their bloody blackpool rock , and you know where they can put that.

Pattaya woud take decades to turn that bad.

Stay in bloody blackpool and post on some english forum there.

Why the hell would you take time out of your amazing time in the uk to be on a thai forum just to say how great the uk is ??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think some of those seaside towns in the UK are absolutely dreadful! In the winter months those places are filled with "hoodies & amusement arcades" if I had to live there I would end up on " Prozac " after 48 hours......

• Like 1

Mmmmm Ive heard you can get drunk sat at certain bars and the curtains open below , gets rid of item 3 on the list :-)

Edit.

Not that I would frequent such places

Re-Edit ,

Why did item 3 get deleted , lol

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

There are some very good replies to the OP's post about his friend, such as give up the boozing and take up various other interests like reading etc.,

without spending too much money:

I suspect apart from the booze a lack of money is a major problem as the OP writes about his friends problem being:

"if you live in a playground and don't have the small change to hop on the merry go round".

I would like to know what kind of visa the friend has which allows him to stay in Thailand?

If its a retirement visa then surely he must have sufficient money to have a fairly good time?

If he has less resources than previously he should adjust his budget accordingly.

Of course if his income is so poor then he really needs to think about leaving Thailand.

OP: do u know your friends monthly income?

:Leaving Thailand would surely be a last resort as for many of us we would return to countries full of problems including high prices, bad weather and ageism.