Ducati Panigale 899

JonnyF

Of all the new sportbikes weve ridden in the past year, none have felt as sure-footed and confidence-inspiring as the Ducati 899 Panigale, Motorcycle.coms Sportbike of the Year. It doesnt hurt that the 899 is a sexy object of desire, to boot.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/best-sportbike-2014.html

Thats nice; for me i am still pretty happy last friday i wanted to test its communting abilities; so i ended up riding about 80km through BKK and suburbs; which includes busy roads; open streches; thick traffic; long traffic lights etc. Well i think its even passed that test couldnt find anything bad. Its easy handling and narrow shape makes its really easy to slip through the traffic and still i am amazed by the motor which is unsual smooth for a V2 and don't care much in which gear you are. Suspensions need to be adjusted softer though.

I am on 750+ kms now and cant wait to pass 1000 and its first service.

Whats the cost/ price of the first service?

Mine was 5200 Baht.

• 4 weeks later...

Of all the new sportbikes weve ridden in the past year, none have felt as sure-footed and confidence-inspiring as the Ducati 899 Panigale, Motorcycle.coms Sportbike of the Year. It doesnt hurt that the 899 is a sexy object of desire, to boot.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/best-sportbike-2014.html

Thats nice; for me i am still pretty happy last friday i wanted to test its communting abilities; so i ended up riding about 80km through BKK and suburbs; which includes busy roads; open streches; thick traffic; long traffic lights etc. Well i think its even passed that test couldnt find anything bad. Its easy handling and narrow shape makes its really easy to slip through the traffic and still i am amazed by the motor which is unsual smooth for a V2 and don't care much in which gear you are. Suspensions need to be adjusted softer though.

I am on 750+ kms now and cant wait to pass 1000 and its first service.

Whats the cost/ price of the first service?

Mine was 5200 Baht.
Just wait till you put some serious mileage on the bike.
  • Like 1

I'm loving the 899. I'm a big fan of the jap bikes too. But buying a 13 gsxr1000 also has drawbacks.

Old gen bike now with no serious update for around 6 years, 50k more than the 899 to buy before you spend 50k+ on a slip on to get rid of that slab on the side. That's 100k towards my servicing costs before you rode out of the showroom.

Then you have no abs, no traction control, no quick shifter. Not sure if you have power modes? And just a year before the new R1 and S1000rr was released?

Then you have to deal with Suzuki thailand who have almost no experience with big bikes and a very poor record with parts availability.

I don't intend putting mega mileage on this bike - it's a weekend toy for trips to kanchanaburi, Khao yai etc. I have other bikes to handle the more mundane duties and plan to buy again in early 2016 when the new litre bikes have had a year to iron out any bugs. If I wanted to tour I would buy a tourer like the vfr1200.

I understand your old 848 caused you a few issues after 40,000 Kms commuting but try not to pollute this thread too much. Maybe commuting on it in bkk traffic for 4 years wasn't such a great idea?

I can tell you this bike rips. More power than either of us could use. Turns like it's on rails, looks awesome, sounds great.

• Like 2

I'm loving the 899. I'm a big fan of the jap bikes too. But buying a 13 gsxr1000 also has drawbacks.

Old gen bike now with no serious update for around 6 years, 50k more than the 899 to buy before you spend 50k+ on a slip on to get rid of that slab on the side. That's 100k towards my servicing costs before you rode out of the showroom.

Then you have no abs, no traction control, no quick shifter. Not sure if you have power modes? And just a year before the new R1 and S1000rr was released?

Then you have to deal with Suzuki thailand who have almost no experience with big bikes and a very poor record with parts availability.

I don't intend putting mega mileage on this bike - it's a weekend toy for trips to kanchanaburi, Khao yai etc. I have other bikes to handle the more mundane duties and plan to buy again in early 2016 when the new litre bikes have had a year to iron out any bugs. If I wanted to tour I would buy a tourer like the vfr1200.

I understand your old 848 caused you a few issues after 40,000 Kms commuting but try not to pollute this thread too much. Maybe commuting on it in bkk traffic for 4 years wasn't such a great idea?

I can tell you this bike rips. More power than either of us could use. Turns like it's on rails, looks awesome, sounds great.

Add the ZX1 at 560,000 into the mix. Couple hundred less than the 899..

Add the ZX1 at 560,000 into the mix. Couple hundred less than the 899..

ZX1?

You mean the Z1000 or the ZX10R? Z1000 is a naked bike and 599k as far as I know. ZX10 isn't officially sold here and certainly not at 560k.

Suzuki Thailand seem to keep no stock at all beside parts needed for scheduled services. Anything else involves a two week wait while parts are ordered.

"Pollute the thread?" Argumentative much?

And you understand wrongly! I had 56k ++ on my bike of which only a very small part was commuting. And what makes you think I was commuting in Bangkok traffic? Looks like you don't know me as well as you think.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

• 3 months later...

What exactly was done during the first service to justify 5000baht+, desmodromic valve adjustment?
I believe the next service is scheduled at 12,000km, of course one would buy a fliter and change the oil again at 6000km, but the next time Ducati touch it will be at the 12k mark?
P.S. When you collected the bike what were you given in terms of additional equipment? DB killer for the Termis, Stock Exhaust, the up-map key and a discounted pair of jeans :P

Valve adjustment is done at 24k

Better to follow Ducati service intervals because if you change the oil yourself at 6k you're voiding the warranty. 5k baht sounds a bit steep - but it is an italian super bike so...

Thanks for the reply, 5000baht is just fine, after all that is a lot cheaper compared to most western countries. My only reason for asking was that I recall monster owners paying around 2000baht for their first service, totally aware the 899 is a totally different engine and pedigree of bike but for 5000baht there must be something more than an oil dump and inspection done at 1000 km?

Can't see how changing the oil midway between service intervals would void the warranty if done properly?

Thanks for the reply, 5000baht is just fine, after all that is a lot cheaper compared to most western countries. My only reason for asking was that I recall monster owners paying around 2000baht for their first service, totally aware the 899 is a totally different engine and pedigree of bike but for 5000baht there must be something more than an oil dump and inspection done at 1000 km?

Can't see how changing the oil midway between service intervals would void the warranty if done properly?

How can Ducati check that the oil was changed "properly"?

Well you can change it yourself and keep quiet about it but just don't buy the oil at your Duke dealer and they will never find outwink.png

By properly, i mean having the oil changed by a competent mechanic (such as myself) leaving no evidence of improper maintenance smile.png
And yes genuine filters are just 800baht to purchase without the need for any details of the owner or bike.

Edited by seedy
spelling