Ducati Panigale 899

JonnyF

cool jonny!

congrats for your bike.

termi looks wonderful. and bike looks perfect. one of the most exciting models around for some time and it is Italian means it will not be a fast aging design like exciting looking for a year Kawasakis.

with you happy and safe rides.

i believe with the help of 'Audi', Ducati finally did a good rear world supersport. it is more ride able according to many reviews and many like its ride more than its big brother 1299 panigale.

i also believe it will be much more reliable than other Ducati models. so thanks Audi too!

it must be sad to leave her that fast:(

overall, great bike!

Edited by ll2

Congrats Jonny !

good descriptive report

even if in break-in 1st ride mode thumbsup.gif

Glad to hear the heat issue is a non-issue

The warm air while moving is probably just channeled off engine section

Pics may be just phone pics but beautiful none the less.

Enjoy the new bike, keep the rubber side down & hope

you will post more impressions during & after break-in

I don't think it's the under seat pipe because I don't feel it at standstill. I think it's heat off the rear cylinder which blows into you at low speed. But at 32 degrees, sunny, the bike at 104 in a pair of 501s it was no more than warmish air. In kevlar or leather I am not sure I would feel it at all.

Maybe it's the open termi pipes. Don't know...

Probably best to go for a looooooong weekend ride... keeping that beauty under 7k must be killing you... biggrin.png

Gorgeous bike & positively surprised to hear there are no heat issues!

PS: FYI 501s are never stylish. Not that anyone would care when you're sitting on an 899.

Edited by nikster

Thanks Nikster, I have a ride planned for next weekend. I wouldn't say there is no heat, that would be misleading. There is a bit on the bottom of the right thigh at certain speeds, but it's just so minor that I'm amazed at the furore.

Compared to other supersports bikes it's really a case of "same heat, different place" IMO.

PS my jeans are cool as... :)

Congrats mate. And glad the heat issue appears to be non existent on your bike! Interesting that some bikes seem to suffer badly and others not at all....... Ducati have never been able to answer the question why either.

Be interesting to get long term review on the bike - if it is able to day to day duties without too much of a compromise.

Bit of a heads up if anyone is looking to buy one and didn't know this already, i was told at the phuket branch today that the price of 749,000 with termi's ends at the end of this month, from Oct 1st the price will be 799,000 and no termis. I'm trying to work a px deal with them on my 848 so I don't miss out, was planning on selling private but time is now against me!

I always thought that 848 EVO Corse Special Edition was such a beautiful bike

with that brushed alloy tank,SS Swingarm etc.

25-35-848-evo-Corse.jpg

• Like 1

Got about 550kms on it, what can i say. Well its a beauty but we recognized that already other from that its handling is great and power curve unusual smooth for a V2. As Jonny wrote already heat isn't really an issue but seems like its getting a bit warmer within the break in process; still no issue. Suspension is nice but factory setting for LOS roads and my flight weight maybe a bit hard; corner stability and feedback is smooth and really stable. Seating position different from my R6 and have to get used to it specially the wider bars, for a supersport still quite comfy. What i really like is its narrow shape which allows zipping through the traffic nicely.

Negative thing; i cant go over 7k rpm (its getting really alive after), with the termis and no db killer maybe a bit loud, it was spitting fire once :D Whatever i am a happy camper now Ducati need to prove its durability.... Lets see.

Not sure you could judge the heat on a day like yesterday. My bike which regularly gets to >108° never broke 100°

As you can see i was also able to test wet mode, a little strange feeling when the bike doing things by itself, but pretty useful

Which things being done by itself do you mean Hili?

Just curious

Its controlling the throttle meaning you rip it wide open there wont be much happening, the most "strange" feeling is the tracation control which is pretty intense in wet mode...

• Like 1

Got about 550kms on it, what can i say. Well its a beauty but we recognized that already other from that its handling is great and power curve unusual smooth for a V2. As Jonny wrote already heat isn't really an issue but seems like its getting a bit warmer within the break in process; still no issue. Suspension is nice but factory setting for LOS roads and my flight weight maybe a bit hard; corner stability and feedback is smooth and really stable. Seating position different from my R6 and have to get used to it specially the wider bars, for a supersport still quite comfy. What i really like is its narrow shape which allows zipping through the traffic nicely.

Negative thing; i cant go over 7k rpm (its getting really alive after), with the termis and no db killer maybe a bit loud, it was spitting fire once :D Whatever i am a happy camper now Ducati need to prove its durability.... Lets see.

It was a great ride yesterday hili. Fast fast ride. Really enjoyed it.

it was planned for 450 kms still we passed the returning point 50 kms just bc we were so fast and ride became 550 kms:lol:

899 sounds great, looks great and also very narrow and compact!

I have seen the flame creep out of the termis! Haha. Like a dragon.

First thing i noticed was the clip ons. They were unusually high for a ducati supersport. It was looking comfy.

And what a sound from termis during roll ons! Nice!

And although new bike and conditions yesterday with very hot weather followed by hard rain while passing the mountains and fog, no problems at all.

Ducati did a great bike i believe. Really like an allrounder sport bike.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

As you can see i was also able to test wet mode, a little strange feeling when the bike doing things by itself, but pretty useful

Which things being done by itself do you mean Hili?

Just curious

Its controlling the throttle meaning you rip it wide open there wont be much happening, the most "strange" feeling is the tracation control which is pretty intense in wet mode...

Yes, the WET mode is pretty intrusive. I remember opening up the throttle on the straights only to see the yellow light flashing continuously but nothing else happening - no increased revs, no increased speed. My first impression was that the bike was overrated but it was a different beast with the SPORT mode setting. I would have loved to try it on RACE mode but I guess the Gbp 75 insurance premium coverage wasn't safe enough for CSS, hahaha.

• 2 weeks later...

10659185_850165951695288_726044236531040

service done, ripping the throttle not really advised in the city but as mentioned before there A LOT happening around 7000-8000 rpms; especially in race mode the front goes up easily in 1st and 2nd. Adjusted the forks compression 1 click softer which helps a lot and the suspension eating up bumps nicely now; also getting more comfortable and confident on the new bike. Time to play now....

nice man. love to hear your bike. it was echoing along the streets during our night ride.

and also one car alarm went of while we pass!

nice bike hili.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Of all the new sportbikes we’ve ridden in the past year, none have felt as sure-footed and confidence-inspiring as the Ducati 899 Panigale, Motorcycle.com’s Sportbike of the Year. It doesn’t hurt that the 899 is a sexy object of desire, to boot.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/best-sportbike-2014.html

Thats nice; for me i am still pretty happy last friday i wanted to test its communting abilities; so i ended up riding about 80km through BKK and suburbs; which includes busy roads; open streches; thick traffic; long traffic lights etc. Well i think its even passed that test couldnt find anything bad. Its easy handling and narrow shape makes its really easy to slip through the traffic and still i am amazed by the motor which is unsual smooth for a V2 and don't care much in which gear you are. Suspensions need to be adjusted softer though.

I am on 750+ kms now and cant wait to pass 1000 and its first service.

What’s the cost/ price of the first service?