Security bars on windows or contents insurance policy. What do you have?

davidst01

We have moved into a new rented house. The landlord doesnt have the money to install new security bars on the windows.

Im trying to decide if I should pay for it myself and then when moving out take them down. Any holes drilled can be gapped up and painted with white paint. Is this feasible?

Or should I take out a contents insurance policy for theft? Has anyone done this before. Its obviously common and easy to take out these sorts of policies back in the nanny state. But unsure about here in LOS. Please advise of a reputable company if you are using one.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. We have a large dog but he is not the aggressive type. I intend to put a few stickers up 'dangerous dog' but realise this is a waste of time in dodgy thailand.

cheers

Yep we have it, we cover the building as well, even though it's rented - Thai law means renter is responsible, if it burns down for example.

Pay about 15k a year to cover all contents and building, including named items away from the property.

Haven't had to make a claim so can't really comment on how good they are, but company is NZI and we found it via aainsure, sponsors of one of the forums here - they were very good.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

Yep we have it, we cover the building as well, even though it's rented - Thai law means renter is responsible, if it burns down for example.

Pay about 15k a year to cover all contents and building, including named items away from the property.

Haven't had to make a claim so can't really comment on how good they are, but company is NZI and we found it via aainsure, sponsors of one of the forums here - they were very good.

Does it take care of theft?

• Like 1

Why fit those horribly looking bars, you could fit magnetic catches to the doors and windows, all connected by wi-fi to an audible alarm system, that can relay and be controlled from your own phone anywhere in the world, at a much lower cost.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I got them for the Thai mother in law, They bolt on to the wall, they can be taken down and the holes filled, There is one in the front, and one in the back that open from the inside, If there ever was a fire they can get out , you can paint then to blend in with the house colours. OK they may not look good to some , but you can safely sleep at night and not worry and when your out in the day. each to there own though. and they do not cost a great deal.

Firstly it would be wise to obtain the landlord`s permission prior to installing and adding fixtures to the property, otherwise you could be held liable for any damage and removal of the said security window bars.

I would never install window bars onto my house, as I regard them as a death trap if in the event of a fire, because the metal bars serve a double purpose, they not only stop people climbing in, but also stop people climbing out.

Another point is; the bars have to be tailor made to fit the window frames of a property. The chances are that the bars will not be the correct size somewhere else.

Regarding the contents insurance. my advice is; make inquiries with insurance companies or insurance agents for terms and quotes.

• Like 1

I would say it entirely depends where you live.

Big difference and different issues from beach town, to city ghetto to rural farming area and everything in between.

Don't tell Charlie where you live......he knows how to creep into ur house thru the modem.......no bars will keep him out ! :P

• Like 1

"Window bars"

Crooks go for an easy target, I got these made up out of reo and angle cost about $20 each.

When you leave, leave them there.

As well as the bars you might think about putting up in view, a round red tail light lens

so anyone sussing out a target thinks its an alarm system

On Safari in Africa I asked my guide what we would do if a big cat stumbled across us, concerned at becoming prey.

He turned and said, "Run as fast as you can". I pondered this thought for a moment before asking him if he can out run a big cat. He looked me in the eye and said, "I don't have to run faster than the cat, I just have to run faster than you"....... this was followed with a very evil laugh. Needless to say, dago.....I'd say you are absolutely correct about what you are saying above.

When you go on safari again ?

• Like 1

"Window bars"

Crooks go for an easy target, I got these made up out of reo and angle cost about $20 each.

As well as the bars you might think about putting up in view, a round red tail light lens

On Safari in Africa I asked my guide what we would do if a big cat stumbled across us, concerned at becoming prey.

He turned and said, "Run as fast as you can". I pondered this thought for a moment before asking him if he can out run a big cat. He looked me in the eye and said, "I don't have to run faster than the cat, I just have to run faster than you"....... this was followed with a very evil laugh. Needless to say, dago.....I'd say you are absolutely correct about what you are saying above.

When are you going to visit Thailand again?

"Window bars"

I'm always on Safari, so we here or another.

why do you ask?

Unless you are planning a very short stay at your present address , ask the landlord's permission and install bars to the windows , it shouldn't be hugely expensive .

If you change address , just leave the bars where they are . We live in the country , I asked my wife about insurance for house and posessions , it seems there isn't any .

In my case, I negotiated with my landlord to pay half the price off installing metal security bars in Windows and doors.

We agreed that the bars will stay when we move and used a reasonably priced local guy to make the installation.

As for fire , I installed 3 smoke alarm detectors that I bought in Canada. ( more than necessary for a small house. )

This will give us all the time to evacuate in case of fire.

We also keep an extra set of padlock keys near each door at all time in case of emergency. No time to look for keys in case of fire.

• Like 1

Does it take care of theft?

My policy covers damage or destruction to the buildings, walls, and contents. Contents are also covered for burglary/theft, but the coverage is restricted. The policy covers theft of furniture, appliances, and other household items, but the restricted items are cash, cameras, phones, laptop computers and musical instruments. There may be some other restricted items, I don't have my policy in front of me right now. The main things I wanted covered against theft are the items that are restricted, but the agent would not even quote me a price for coverage of them.

I had a neighbour who, after having been burgaled many times, turned his little bungalow into the Thai equivalent of Fort Knox. That didn't stop them they merely removed the 'security' bars. They can also lift the tiles and get in through the roof.

Baan shut windows throughout, a loud dog and lack of conspicuous consumption works for me. Oh and do get rid of those silly smug little 'this palace has security' plastic plates screwed to your outside wall. It just tells them you've something to steal laugh.png

Edited by jpeg

As a side note:

Those that are in rental, or even owners that live in there own place "Condo / Duplex style

if your place burns and the neighbours place burns you pay for both, same here in Bali.

What i have is three fire extinguishers powder one at the front door, one at the back door and one beside the bed. I mean the traffic these days is crazy and by the time the fireos get there

your place is gone, so as a bit of side insurance you might want to think about that.

If you install security bars you intend to take them with you when you leave.....I've heard it all now....hope you don't decide to wallpaper the place as well, might be a little more difficult to get that off.

I have the security all around my house but I put it really only for show. I believe if they want to rob you it's mainly through the roof they enter..

• Like 1

I have.......

all window openings bar and locking door,

homeowner insurance (own 100%),

Surrounding wall with spikes,

FOUR dogs, and

some person in the house at all times.

Beware of aluminum "security" doors; they can be bent fast with a screw driver, worthless.

Do not forget the transom above the door if it can fit a small Thai thru it.lock.gif.pagespeed.ce.HUpoQX69cx.gif

P.S. Dogs work better in a pack, one alone is usually easily frightened.intheclub.gif

Edited by KhnomKhnom

OP,

My rental house has bars and was still burgled while I was upstairs sleeping. The insurance company paid out nearly 400,000 BAHT for items that were taken minus 10 percent (for depreciation). My suggestions are get a dog, insurance and CCTV system.

My CCTV system led to the arrest of the burglar along with his associates.

Regards,

Kurt

• Like 1

My previous rental, I installed a wired alarm system - my initial lease was for 2 years and the owner gave permission - we lived there for 7 years then had to move because the owner was selling the place. I moved into another house in the same housing estate. I had installed the wired system because the farang owner of the Security company who was also a personal friend didn't recommend any of the wireless systems on the market at that time as they were not very reliable. I left the system when I moved because it was hard wired and would have left some damage and protruding wires..

For my new rental, I used the same security company to install a wireless system, which in the intervening years have improved considerably - it was also less than half the price of the wired system. The cost will depend on the number and type of sensors you want to install - for my current house, the cost was about 24,000 Baht -- control panel and 9 entry/exit point sensors and 2 motion/heat sensors. Being wireless, I can remove the system and install in next place without any damage to the property.

When home and going to bed, we turn on all the perimeter sensors (doors/windows). When we go out, we turn those on as well as two inside motion/heat sensors (if they come through the roof, they will still set off the alarm). There are also just motion sensors, but if you have a pet that stays inside, their motion will activate the alarm. A motion/heat sensor requires both motion and human body heat to set off the alarm.

When it goes off, it is a very loud alarm and since I am in a gated village with security, it should set the burglars running before they can steal anything - in addition to alarm, there is a bright strobe light which helps the Village security respond to the correct house quickly. Additionally, the alarm has a SIM card and it both telephones me and sends me a text message (the message shows which of the sensors activated the alarm).

I had a neighbour who, after having been burgaled many times, turned his little bungalow into the Thai equivalent of Fort Knox. That didn't stop them they merely removed the 'security' bars. They can also lift the tiles and get in through the roof.

Baan shut windows throughout, a loud dog and lack of conspicuous consumption works for me. Oh and do get rid of those silly smug little 'this palace has security' plastic plates screwed to your outside wall. It just tells them you've something to steal laugh.png

Yep, the thieves often get in through the rooves of houses with window bars. That is why in the one storey ceiling above the kitchen I also have bars. If a thief lifts off the tiles to get in he will see the bars and hopefully move on to easier pickings.

Didn't bother with bars under the second floor roof though. That is so high and difficult to get onto that it is quite secure on its own.

Don't know why I bothered actually because there is not that much worth knicking in my abode. Actually, if someone came along and knicked something, it may provide me with the required stimulus to put my hand in my pocket and buy something new rather than refusing to replace anything until it starts smoking or breaks down beyond repair. Or perhaps, a thief would feel pity on me and drop off some of his ill gotten gains rather than taking anything.

Install CCD camera system for around 10,000bht ( less than one year theft insurance which is available only with fire insurance and if you also have car insurance with company). Easy to remove and install elsewhere. If thieves can see that you have this they are far less likely to go on your property. Plus you can monitor from mobile phone or computer anywhere and the hard disk stores the video for months even if they steal or destroy the cameras.

Install CCD camera system for around 10,000bht ( less than one year theft insurance which is available only with fire insurance and if you also have car insurance with company). Easy to remove and install elsewhere. If thieves can see that you have this they are far less likely to go on your property. Plus you can monitor from mobile phone or computer anywhere and the hard disk stores the video for months even if they steal or destroy the cameras.

And if the thief decides to cover his face, how will ccd cameras help. These cameras do not deter a professional.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand