Hotel staff on the scam

kunash

Tipping is not indigenous to Thailand. The custom was brought over by western tourists. But it has spread like a fungus all over now. I myself have never been tipped, nor have I ever had a job where tipping is common. But I don't tip generally, in Thailand. At most 20 baht for a dinner. I pay the posted price, it's not my desire to compensate a worker over what they get paid. Call me what you like, I don't mind being a cheap Charlie. I work hard for my money and I have a family to support.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tipping is not indigenous to Thailand. The custom was brought over by western tourists. But it has spread like a fungus all over now. I myself have never been tipped, nor have I ever had a job where tipping is common. But I don't tip generally, in Thailand. At most 20 baht for a dinner. I pay the posted price, it's not my desire to compensate a worker over what they get paid. Call me what you like, I don't mind being a cheap Charlie. I work hard for my money and I have a family to support.

I try not refer at anyone as a "Cheap Charlie". I have not idea what their financial situation is or if their name is Charlie.

I tip, but not as a matter of routine. If the if the server is friendly, attentive and does more than act as an automaton, then they are more likely to receive a tip.

Tipping, as far as I know, is an encouragement for those to do more than expected. Those that do the minimum, receive nothing more than the posted price of the goods or service.

The wages people earn in the hospitality industry is often not enough to survive on. I live quite well, thanks to my Higher Power, and I share what I can, when I can and with those I feel are in need.

I try not refer at anyone as a "Cheap Charlie". I have not idea what their financial situation is or if their name is Charlie.

I tip, but not as a matter of routine. If the if the server is friendly, attentive and does more than act as an automaton, then they are more likely to receive a tip.

Tipping, as far as I know, is an encouragement for those to do more than expected. Those that do the minimum, receive nothing more than the posted price of the goods or service.

The wages people earn in the hospitality industry is often not enough to survive on. I live quite well, thanks to my Higher Power, and I share what I can, when I can and with those I feel are in need.

Benmart, if you are from the USA, then your comment is understandable.

Where are you from may I ask?